The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Once they were Canes

7 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I guess my point is he may have high-balled the Canes on his ask knowing his real value was lower.  But, hey, if someone's gonna take the high offer, then why not?

I agree. What stuns me is that Vancouver gave him an NMC the first year and a modified NTC the second and third. From the management side, that feels like giving a guy who has already shown a reluctance to play hurt permission for missing a game due to a hangnail.

19 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I'll miss his grit.

I won't. It's only valuable if using it doesn't take you out of 20 games at a stretch. Throw a hip check once in a while, for crying out loud.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, top-shelf-2 said:

I won't. It's only valuable if using it doesn't take you out of 20 games at a stretch. Throw a hip check once in a while, for crying out loud.

I agree with using the hip more.We will never know the extent of his shoulder injury. Perhaps he came back to early initially and tried to play through it. This after coming off a concussion.  He used the hip previously but went out with a back injury. Sounds like since the head ,hip,back injury the shoulder was the only weapon available.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

Ron Hainsey named as one of the 3 Alternate Captains for Ottawa (no Captain this season).

__________________________________________________________________________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ottawa Senators named Mark Borowiecki, Ron Hainsey, and Jean-Gabriel Pageau alternate captains for this season on Thursday.  The announcement comes after head coach D.J. Smith told Postmedia earlier this week that three 'older players' would serve as alternates.

“I don’t think it’s necessary (to have a captain),” Smith said in an interview. “We’re going to have three ‘A’’s, three older guys and they’re going to share the responsibility. A year from now it would be nice to integrate some of these younger guys and kind of get a look as to see who’s the captain and who’s going to be the captain going forward.  “The older guys will carry the brunt for the year.”

Edited by LakeLivin

21 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Tough start

I thought we were saying he wouldn't be ready to start the season anyways? And that was a part of the trade rationale?  

I think we upgraded to Gardiner, so in the end the return is the only question mark, and heck, one of the two Fors.. might make good, but I guess in theory he would have been ready. Though not now as it turns out.

Interesting-  Like a car crash.

"Aleksi Saarela was very unhappy he didn't get an NHL shot in Carolina despite AHL success. He demanded a trade to Chicago and got it. Now, it looks like he's headed back to the AHL. This could be interesting."

On 9/25/2019 at 3:27 PM, slapshot02 said:

Jeez.  Jussi...

Please NHL gods, do not let advertising go wild like these leagues.   I might start whacking people in the head too if I had to play on that surface with those unis.

• Like 2

Just saw that the Ducks have sent Andrew Poturalski through waivers.  Sorry he did not make the Ducks, at least for now.  Good news is that I have a mini ticket plans for the San Diego Gulls, so I will get to see him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

66EDE4AE-EEF9-44EE-9AAC-348A8EAF2978.png

I know I've mentioned this before, but Nestrasil's BMW from his Raleigh days is currently parked outside in our office parking lot proudly owned by someone I work with. Nice car.

• Like 1

Just over on the Blues website briefly and apparently, although admittedly preseason, they were embarrassed by the Red Wings. Faulk doesn't seem to have played though? As much as I welcomed the trade, I will try to peek on him every once in awhile to see if last year ws truly an anomaly? 

On 9/26/2019 at 5:57 PM, wxray1 said:

Jeez.  Jussi...

Please NHL gods, do not let advertising go wild like these leagues.   I might start whacking people in the head too if I had to play on that surface with those unis.

Those leagues need all the money they can get from wherever they can get it. Here's hoping the NHL is proud enough to assure its games never look like that. 

On 9/13/2019 at 1:05 PM, remkin said:

I thought we were saying he wouldn't be ready to start the season anyways? And that was a part of the trade rationale?  

Sounds to me like he pushed himself to come back sooner than expected. Goodness knows the Hawks could use him.

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

I liked Stempniak and thought he brought more than many gave him credit for his first year with the Canes.  Too bad he got injured and never was able to get back to that place.

18 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Jurco is practicing as a line mate to McDavid.  Talk about moving on up!

Had a couple of goals in the preseason playing along side him.

First point as a Blue in the 1st period against the Craps. He needed to go because of cap reason and I'm not gonna cry over spilt milk but Grats Faulker. Wish you well

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Michael Leighton retired yesterday at 38...Godspeed Leights 

On XM they listed off all of the teams he played for. When they got to the AHL the list went forever, I think they're still reading off teams.

• Like 1

Just now, remkin said:

On XM they listed off all of the teams he played for. When they got to the AHL the list went forever, I think they're still reading off teams.

I’ll wake you up tomorrow when they finish