The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Once they were Canes

Pitkanen is skating again. Article (in Finnish):

http://www.kaleva.fi/urheilu/jaakiekko/milta-paluu-luistimille-on-tuntunut-pitkan-tauon-jalkeen-joni-pitkanen/683842/

Basically, through Google translate, he's been skating a few times a week with Karpat. While he still has a ways to go, his goal is to return to playing at the highest level.

I'm pulling for him. Even if it takes him another year or two, he'll still only be 33 with 4 years less normal hockey "wear and tear" than most NHLers that age.  Still a long shot imo, but given his obvious dedication, who knows?

Watched Ladd and Harrison play the Blackhawks last night.    Hey people, don't look now, but Mo may be dancing in the playoffs this year.  The Jets look pretty good.

One standout from the game was when that weasel Curcillo tried to come after Ladd, Harry blasted in and fought him.  Harry won, Ladd was protected.  Nice to see that.

Did notice that Harry's TOI is slowly drifting down.  For a 5-1 WPG win last night, Harry was -1.  Sound familiar?  I liked his fight, but everything else is the same old.

And Bryan Allen was waived by the Habs yesterday and just cleared waivers.  He is now on his way to Hamilton.

BTW, lookie at how Erik Cole is doing in Dallas...he's really enjoying a nice resurgence this season.  Maybe we can trade for him?  ;)

I saw.  A real shame, he had a rep as a good developer of talent.

We don't know the full story.  We know what happened in 2009.  He seems like a very genuine person who cares deeply about his family.  He's had a lot happen in the last few years, including the death of his father.  

Coaching is hugely demanding.  I'm hoping he is just taking time to sincerely do the family thing (before the kids get too old) and that there isn't any other sickness in his family.  I think this is a good thing that continues to speak to his character.  I also suspect we haven't seen the last of him.

We don't know the full story.  We know what happened in 2009.  He seems like a very genuine person who cares deeply about his family.  He's had a lot happen in the last few years, including the death of his father.  

Coaching is hugely demanding.  I'm hoping he is just taking time to sincerely do the family thing (before the kids get too old) and that there isn't any other sickness in his family.  I think this is a good thing that continues to speak to his character.  I also suspect we haven't seen the last of him.

Oh I agree.  He was on of my favorite players when he was here.

I guess not even wizards can go on forever.

ESPN

"I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of my teammates and coaches, especially the 2006 Stanley Cup team in Carolina.

He gave us great memories.

Really amazing career. Such skill. A JR smaller guy who really worked out. OK until his NTC issue. But still, I cannot beleive that man's NHL longevity.

Anyone else find it a little ironic that Maurice and Laviolette are both coaching two of the top end teams in the league and drawing Adams Trophy consideration?? Good luck to both. Boy, after reading this thread it seems we really do have a knack for squandering talent and letting them walk away.....

Anyone else find it a little ironic that Maurice and Laviolette are both coaching two of the top end teams in the league and drawing Adams Trophy consideration?? Good luck to both. Boy, after reading this thread it seems we really do have a knack for squandering talent and letting them walk away.....

No.

No.

Well to be fair, Lavi has a 4-5 year shelf life, before the players tune him out and he gets sacked(Isles, Us, Flyers).  And both times Mo got a Canes team deep, they tanked hard the following season.

Well to be fair, Lavi has a 4-5 year shelf life, before the players tune him out and he gets sacked(Isles, Us, Flyers).  And both times Mo got a Canes team deep, they tanked hard the following season.

Exactly.  Hence my answer "no".  It isn't ironic, it is typical.  This won't last.

Edited by wxray1