The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Once they were Canes

46 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Rockford Ice Hogs and Kris Versteeg are mutually terminating his contract.

Liked him while he was here.Always sad to see these guys fade into oblivion.

• Like 3

33 years old seems to be a tough time for a lot of NHL players.  Not all, mind you.  But it is a time when the decline can hit.  Sad to see both Ladd and Versteeg fading away.  I really was sad to see Ladd go.

But, this issue does give you pause to think about some of those long term contracts.

E. Staal, Ovechkin, Crosby are all on, at or over that threshold.  Watching their careers at this time is interesting.

I know at age 33 was when I first started feeling those twinges and creakiness.  For players in the professional class, it can be just enough to drop them to a level that doesn't measure up.  Add to that past injuries and just the wear and tear and it can go downhill fast.  Modern medicine can only do so much.  Bobby Orr didn't even last to 33.  I suspect with modern medicine, he would have, but we'd also see the decline.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

33 years old seems to be a tough time for a lot of NHL players.  Not all, mind you.  But it is a time when the decline can hit.  Sad to see both Ladd and Versteeg fading away.  I really was sad to see Ladd go.

But, this issue does give you pause to think about some of those long term contracts.

E. Staal, Ovechkin, Crosby are all on, at or over that threshold.  Watching their careers at this time is interesting.

I know at age 33 was when I first started feeling those twinges and creakiness.  For players in the professional class, it can be just enough to drop them to a level that doesn't measure up.  Add to that past injuries and just the wear and tear and it can go downhill fast.  Modern medicine can only do so much.  Bobby Orr didn't even last to 33.  I suspect with modern medicine, he would have, but we'd also see the decline.

wxray, your analysis is spot on, and I'd add just one more thing to it. I think in part to this concept to if I may term it, "the age of NHL hockey player regression", the ultradeveloped youngsters thru modern training techniques is another factor which puts these 33+ year old players out to pasture? Ergo, SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED is being overly emphasized these days, and that's where these twilight -players are fading?

16 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

wxray, your analysis is spot on, and I'd add just one more thing to it. I think in part to this concept to if I may term it, "the age of NHL hockey player regression", the ultradeveloped youngsters thru modern training techniques is another factor which puts these 33+ year old players out to pasture? Ergo, SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED is being overly emphasized these days, and that's where these twilight -players are fading?

Ah, speed.  This is where Ovi has a chance to persist.  I think he is 34 now.  His shot has not apparently faded.  The way they use him, as we all know, is obvious and infuriatingly simple.  Let him hang out, especially on the PP.  No elite speed required.  Just let him use the cannon.

Maybe a drop in speed is the reason he is -3, as pointed out on another thread.  (running and ducking for cover after bringing up +/-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Ah, speed.  This is where Ovi has a chance to persist.  I think he is 34 now.  His shot has not apparently faded.  The way they use him, as we all know, is obvious and infuriatingly simple.  Let him hang out, especially on the PP.  No elite speed required.  Just let him use the cannon.

Maybe a drop in speed is the reason he is -3, as pointed out on another thread.  (running and ducking for cover after bringing up +/-)

Ovi is the eponymic Cherry Picker.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:30 AM, KJUNKANE said:

Ovi is the eponymic Cherry Picker.

Absolutely.  But a very good one.  Not saying I like it or want it on my team.  Just saying picking good cherries consistently can work if everyone else knows they have to trim the trees, cut the grass, mulch the ground and fertilize.  It can still make for team play.

Edited by wxray1

10 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Wasn't it 30 games, not 20?

That's right. 30 games = a second round pick.

21 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That's right. 30 games = a second round pick.

Watch...he gets sent down or gets a season ending injury after 29 

23 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Saarela just got called up by the SwampCats 

That reminds me, since I kind of link the two.

After coming off his 20 game suspension for PEDs, Vegas waived Zykov, he cleared, and is playing in the AHL again. 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

CdH re-injured his surgically repaired right shoulder last night.  

I still don’t like the trade but it seems to be a smart move.

Yes, gocanes, the trade was hard to take, and his reinjury is sad, but looks like we made the correct decision. Now if we can only get Haula back on the ice? 

• Like 1