The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Once they were Canes

E. Staal had a bad collision with a linesman last nite.  Full tilt collision with the linesman's hip, with E.'s head apparently hitting the elbow.  E. never saw it coming.  It looked bad and his writhing on the ice is tough to watch.  Wishing best for E.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Fox watch is over.  2nd rounder is ours

Just one last time for the record: I'd rather have Fox, Waddell, 99% chance we sign him....OK, now that is out of my system and I can look forward to the two second rounders we're getting and what we do with them and who emerges from them. Also, we do have a very deep D core, so that helps with the whole thing. 

And it is pure great that we get both picks, so that makes the deal much better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Did he check someone again?

Yep...had four hits, then left the game.  Too bad...wanted us to knock him tomorrow 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, remkin said:

Just one last time for the record: I'd rather have Fox, Waddell, 99% chance we sign him....OK, now that is out of my system and I can look forward to the two second rounders we're getting and what we do with them and who emerges from them. Also, we do have a very deep D core, so that helps with the whole thing. 

And it is pure great that we get both picks, so that makes the deal much better.

There is one other consideration rem that most of us forget in this, but possibly not direct but more indirect consequence of this unfortunate Fox 'trade". Don't you think had we persuaded him to sign, I'd doubt that we'd get Priskie? And while he certainly is not Fox, I like to think that we got 2 2nd rounders plus the bonus of Chase Priskie.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

There is one other consideration rem that most of us forget in this, but possibly not direct but more indirect consequence of this unfortunate Fox 'trade". Don't you think had we persuaded him to sign, I'd doubt that we'd get Priskie? And while he certainly is not Fox, I like to think that we got 2 2nd rounders plus the bonus of Chase Priskie.

It's a fair point. But we'll have to wait to see what Priskie does. IMO Fox was a more elite prospect. Priskie is apparently looking good in Charlotte, but Fox is looking good in the NHL. Still, it's a fair equation: Fox for 2 second rounders and Priskie, because I agree it's unlikely we sign Priskie if Fox is here.

• Like 1

In addition to Michael Ferland's most recent upper body injury; Cal de Haan has been placed on IR by Chicago retroactive to 12/10/19 for an undisclosed shoulder injury. That's too bad for de Haan!!!!!

4 hours ago, AssistantGM said:

In addition to Michael Ferland's most recent upper body injury; Cal de Haan has been placed on IR by Chicago retroactive to 12/10/19 for an undisclosed shoulder injury. That's too bad for de Haan!!!!!

Ah. OK and Gardiner has played a little better lately, so maybe good on us? Do feel for De Haan though, who was one of the first solid UFA's to pick us in the open market.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 7:05 PM, gocanes0506 said:

CdH out 4-5 months with a shoulder injury.

Is it the same shoulder? Just wondering if our docs had a role in that trade.

Nathan Gerbe played in his 400th NHL game last night (played for Columbus). 

Yes, that Nathan Gerbe.

Was never a fan of the player, but always respected his will to defy physics.

...and then there was that between the legs breakaway goal against the Flyers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Bring back Lavi as an assistant.

If he doesn’t get picked up beforehand, Franchise will grab him for Seattle TBD’s

42 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Let the Buffalo buyer's remorse begin on Skinner. Not doing so hot, and being shuffled around already!

Umm...he’s on IR right now 

• Like 1

Always thought it kinda funny through all the debate about dealing him as to what they looked to be getting versus what he becomes, being so streaky. He went from being a leading scorer here a short time ago, to at the time of this injury, the 5th leading scorer up there, on a team with arguably far less depth talent than what we have. I think that perspective closes the argument on whether it was the right move at the right time for our prospects moving forward from letting him go. Never disliked him, but I'm a blue collar work ethic fan type in the mold of a Marty. He wasn't one.

I would agree that the debate on the ultimate long term affect of the trade seems settled. The return is probably still up for debate. But not only whatever negative effect that Brind'Amour feared on his new direction for the team last year, but also, the odd dynamic of going into the playoffs with a guy we are not renewing vs (even worse), renewing him for the deal that Buffalo gave him, supports the addition by subtraction type of argument for moving him when we did. 

Went to the San Diego Gulls/Tucson Roadrunners AHL game Tuesday night.  Just a report that former Checker captain Andrew Poturalski remains sidelined after having wrist surgery in late Oct.  He was scheduled to miss 8-12 weeks, so hopefully he returns shortly.  

Never really got a chance with the Canes.

Buffalo Sabres winger Jeff Skinner returned to practice yesterday for the first time since suffering an upper-body injury on Dec. 27. He could be in the lineup when the Sabres face the Senators on Tuesday.

• Like 1