The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Once they were Canes

John and Tripp mentioned it in the game today.  It was either his mother- or father-in-law.  Well they didn't mention the leave of absence, but the death.

Heard about Eric, I had wondered for a bit if that's why Geekie was called up for Jordan to attend something family related but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Article says he's not re-signing with the team, which is slightly different from just quitting. Still, pretty inauspicious start for Peters.  

Well if he is leaving due to the Peter's hiring as the article states he's quiting the team. Spin it anyway you want but obviously he's not a fan of Peter's.

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Well if he is leaving due to the Peter's hiring as the article states he's quiting the team. Spin it anyway you want but obviously he's not a fan of Peter's.

Oh, it's still an indictment of Peters. But leaving mid season (if there was one) would be on a whole other level from refusing to re-sign with a team, imo.  That's not unheard of for UFAs,(for a variety of reasons) but how many players quit mid season?  I only bring it up because I don't like the fact that the article seems to deliberately use a title that sensationalizes the issue; it's damning enough on it's own.  

edit: just to be clear, my whole point was not to spin the issue, but to avoid spin in favor of accuracy.

Edited by LakeLivin

5 hours ago, caneswincup said:

2006 Stanley Cup Champion, Kevyn Adams named new GM of Buffalo Sabres.

Good for him. Always liked him, but too bad it's with the Slugs?

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

IIRC, he’s a native, lived there since retirement and had been working in other capacity for some time.

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Gotta start somewhere. 

I thought I heard on XM that Buffalo is now paying three GMs including the ex'es. 

An article in Forbes listed the Skinner contract as one of the big miscues of now fired Botterill. I'll say. $9 million/yr for 8 years. 

Apparently the owner gutted the scouting staff too. 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I thought I heard on XM that Buffalo is now paying three GMs including the ex'es. 

An article in Forbes listed the Skinner contract as one of the big miscues of now fired Botterill. I'll say. $9 million/yr for 8 years. 

We tried to warn them, but Noooooo? On Kevin, having visited Buffalo a time or 2, the area is nice. It's just the attitude of SOME fans? But. I'm happy for him.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:20 AM, remkin said:

Yep.  And Kevyn's first job (according to the XM hosts) was to call and inform all those scouts (and other staff) that their services were no longer needed.  Holy cow!

21 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

We tried to warn them, but Noooooo? On Kevin, having visited Buffalo a time or 2, the area is nice. It's just the attitude of SOME fans? But. I'm happy for him.

Skinner did what he does.  Hot, hot, hotter than hot, then cruise and cool after security is obtained.

As for Kevyn, I too wish him the best.  It is risky, but if he makes at least a few decent moves, he may have a future there or somewhere else.  The problem is whether he'll have any autonomy.  Their first direction to him was to fire people.  Great first day on the job.  We had concerns about "The Committee," but darn if it isn't working so far.  And, it seems like DW has the biggest chair at the committee table. 

TD must be driving the other owners crazy with his unconventional ways.

Skinner is indeed hot and cold. He is a unique talent and can be a nice complementary piece on a line with two defensively responsible forwards. But I've come to believe that as a whole Skinner gives away as much as he scores. So can you have a guy like that and win? Maybe, but no one has so far. It's also very clear what Brind'amour thought as he basically made getting rid of Skinner such a priority that it as worth getting Pu for him. And he seems to have been right so far. 

The biggest thing IMO that the Skinner trade did was get us out of the situation that Buffalo inherited: pay Skinner or let him walk. And man did they pay. We dodged that bullet. 

• Like 1

More Sabres misery: during the covid panic, they got the heck out of the training facility, didn't monitor the melting and moisture and came back to damaged and warped boards.  For Kevyn, "when it rains, it pours... er... the ice melts"

https://www.bardown.com/the-sabres-reportedly-didn-t-flood-their-training-faciltiy-and-now-have-warped-boards-1.1487800

On 6/20/2020 at 8:59 PM, wxray1 said:

More Sabres misery: during the covid panic, they got the heck out of the training facility, didn't monitor the melting and moisture and came back to damaged and warped boards.  For Kevyn, "when it rains, it pours... er... the ice melts"

https://www.bardown.com/the-sabres-reportedly-didn-t-flood-their-training-faciltiy-and-now-have-warped-boards-1.1487800

Something tells me that Kevyn wasn't all that worried about those silly ol' boards.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/sabres-clean-house-and-gut-management-staff-during-nhl-pause

Some 21 staff members, including the entire coaching staff and the GM for the Amerks, the Sabres' AHL affiliate. Also 100+ furloughed and 100 more asked to take pay cuts.

If I were in the Sabres' organization, I'd dread a call from K. Adams - that's what he did last time he was hired there, fire people.

15 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

If I were in the Sabres' organization, I'd dread a call from K. Adams - that's what he did last time he was hired there, fire people.

If I were in the Sabres' organization I'd just basically dread.