The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

Once they were Canes

25 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Oh, I saw this the other day....

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/vgk-sign-free-agent-defenseman-ryan-murphy-to-ahl-contract/c-318484012

I know cats are supposed to have nine lives. I guess first-round defensemen are sort of the same....

They’ll sign Zac Boychuk in the off season ;) 

14 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

E. Staal traded to Buffalo for Johansson.

Man, I didn't see that coming!

Buffalo needs to trade for one more ex Cane to form a complete line with Staal and Skinner

I don’t know much about Johansson, but Eric only has one year left on his contract unless Buffalo extended him. They better hope Skinner can play with Eichel, because he had zero chemistry with Eric here. Buffalo has cap space. Do they need a defensively responsible third line center?

1 hour ago, bluedevilcane said:

I don’t know much about Johansson, but Eric only has one year left on his contract unless Buffalo extended him. They better hope Skinner can play with Eichel, because he had zero chemistry with Eric here. Buffalo has cap space. Do they need a defensively responsible third line center?

I like the way you think.   The answer is yes Buffalo needs a defensively responsible third line center.  I know where one might be available but I must be careful in spilling the beans.  

14 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Don't push us in that there briar patch. I can only imagine the effect Eric and Jordan playing together, would be interesting to see, then fold in Skinner? I can only imagine.....wait a minute...

31 minutes ago, remkin said:

Don't push us in that there briar patch. I can only imagine the effect Eric and Jordan playing together, would be interesting to see, then fold in Skinner? I can only imagine.....wait a minute...

If nothing else i'd imagine Buffalo is now on Jordan's acceptable list.  Truthfully i don't know doody about the Sabres beyond about 4 guys.  Do they have anyone cheaper than Jordan who could free up some salary space but still halfway get the job done?  Of course that question would have been better asked before the Canes let Wallmark go, who could have pretty much plugged-and-played in the same role and nobody would have noticed much difference.  It would have to be more than Pu though...

I don't know a lot about Buffalo's depth guys and prospects either. I know that they massively overpaid for another smaller, less defensively-minded X-Cane who now sits as one of the highest paid guys in $ for points, and got burned in UFA with Kyle Okposo, another of the very most overpaid guys in the NHL. 

What is interesting about Buffalo though, is that they still have a lot of cap space, and have the most amazing list of RFA/UFA's THIS NEXT year and the year after that I've ever seen. By amazing I mean that it's 14/24 players this very next year that are UFA or RFA, with 7 UFAs, and 4 more of them the following year. Over the next two years there are only 4 guys who are not UFA or RFA, and Eichel, Skinner, Ristolanen, Skinner and 10 UFA's. 

This is a team poised to completely shake itself up if it feels the urge. 

On 8/16/2020 at 1:53 PM, AWACSooner said:

Loved this guy when he was here, and even got his jersey at a game where it was auctioned in a jersey off the players back, and then signed by him. Saw where Toronto hired him to coach the offense, and I sure wish we'd have brought him here. Oh well, Jeff Daniels is okay, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Wallmark wasn’t qualified by the SwampCats and will be a UFA.  He deserved better...

I still say he could fill Staal's role at less than a quarter of the cost.  Not that Staal's going anywhere, of course.

16 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Wallmark wasn’t qualified by the SwampCats and will be a UFA.  He deserved better...

It will be interesting to follow all of the pieces of that trade for Trochek. IMO their side rests almost entirely on Chase Priskie doing something.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

It will be interesting to follow all of the pieces of that trade for Trochek. IMO their side rests almost entirely on Chase Priskie doing something.

rem, right from the start I've been more hesitant about Trochek than you. I'm not saying it was a bad move, more of a "you need to show me" given some of the feedback I read from Florida fans. Still hoping Trochek is a hit, but imo he didn't move the needle from the "show me" category in the little time we had him last season. Keeping my fingers crossed. :crossfingers: 

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Canes legend Pu was traded to Columbus 

Ah Skinner, to know him was to love him (or not). Have to add this. it's time for all teams to get rid of their Pu's?

Edited by KJUNKANE

21 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Canes legend Pu was traded to Columbus 

One day a trivia question: which hockey player, never to play in the NHL was traded for the most total salary dump? No tortured pun intended there. Answer: Cliff Pu.

23 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

rem, right from the start I've been more hesitant about Trochek than you. I'm not saying it was a bad move, more of a "you need to show me" given some of the feedback I read from Florida fans. Still hoping Trochek is a hit, but imo he didn't move the needle from the "show me" category in the little time we had him last season. Keeping my fingers crossed. :crossfingers: 

While I do see more potential, I also agree that he has to show us. I think he can, but heck after watching Nino light it up and thinking "in your face Minnesota!!", I'm now taking a more reserved posture on guys who seem too good, but have been moved by their teams and have a segment of the fan base glad he's gone. One thinks of Gardiner also....and in reverse perhaps Faulk.

But I saw flashes both in his few games at the end of the year and in the playoffs. The other thing is that while the 70 point season probably set sights too high on him (and might be part of Florida fan's negativity that he never hit that again), he's been a consistent 50 plus point guy forever. We have another center, who TD calls one of the best players in the NHL, and is well paid with a NTC and a C, who has only hit 50 points once in his career and it was exactly 50 points and it was almost a decade ago. Based on what I've seen published, 53 points, while not Malkin or Draisaitl, is still, overall top tier second-line center. And since it's a long hope for the other guy to get close to that, we need it. 

There is also a real thing of a guy joining a new team and fitting in and getting comfortable. Ask Dougie. I do think that his few regular season games and the playoff games should set him up to start well next season. 

Also, DW was oddly asked about it the other day, and admitted that Trochek was a key pick up and critical for our success. 

But yes, he definitely needs to show us. 

Once they were "Canes"?

Just saw Abby Labar interviewing a player after the Duke / Syracuse football game on Fox Sports.  Forget the Marley girl, Labar is cute! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Once they were "Canes"?

Just saw Abby Labar interviewing a player after the Duke / Syracuse football game on Fox Sports.  Forget the Marley girl, Labar is cute! 

I've thought that for quite some time.

• Like 1