The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Once they were Canes

Meant to post this a while back, but forgot. Zac Dalpe scored his first goal of the season on April 1st for the Sabres.

1st goal since 2013-14 season with the Canucks.

I'm no neurosurgeon, but that does really make me wonder if there is some instability in Cole's cervical spine resulting from the Orpik hit way back. My understanding is that spinal contusion would be a fairly uncommon injury otherwise.

At his age, with that, I'd retire if I were him. Definitely would not bring him back here even if he declared himself fit.

Thats terrible news. Cole needs to rest that injury and figure out the rest later. With his history I think it might be time to hang up the skates.

I'm no neurosurgeon, but that does really make me wonder if there is some instability in Cole's cervical spine resulting from the Orpik hit way back. My understanding is that spinal contusion would be a fairly uncommon injury otherwise.

Sounds like it is indeed related to the Orpik hit:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/04/08/detroit-red-wings-erik-cole/25468711/

Yeah I thought so. It does suck for him. Though he did have a nice career at just under 900 games and should have millions in the bank. Probably could have squeezed a couple more years out, but this shows that a really bad hit could have probably hurt him even more. In that sense, kind of lucky to get out now.

What i'd really wish for Erik Cole would be for this organization to sign him for a day to allow him to retire a Carolina Hurricane!!

I suspect he may end up in the organization in management. 

I feel so badly for Cole---I know he wanted to make another playoff run.

But I also think he has been lucky to have played as many years as he has

been able to,  after that initial injury, (and thus earned as much money for

his families future)

I am a " glass half full" sort of person.

Andrew Ladd named one of the three finalists for the Messier Leadership award along with Toews and Getzlaf. How might have our franchise been different had we kept Ladd and ultimately gave him the C instead of trading him away to Chicago and developing Staal?

Staal might've been a steady producer in his prime, but I have never thought of him as a strong leader.

Brandon Sutter

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forward Nick Bonino, defenseman Adam Clendening and a 2016 second-round pick from the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for Brandon Sutter and a 2016 third-round pick, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

Jim Rutherford

Here are some quotes about GMJR from a Pens board after his trade of Sutter and signing of UFA Eric Fehr.

• What a move. Now if GMJR can get rid of Scuderi, this off-season will be nothing short of PERFECT.
  • Old one was … well perfectly amazing. But now we can and must rejoice. GMJR may have just won the executive of the year award. WOW!!!
  • I promised Hooks I would change it in the event of this and honestly, Rutherford is at demi-god status at this point so he deserves it.
  • I was not nearly as down on Sutter as many/most on this site. But I don’t know how any Penguins fan could not like this deal. We send out a 3C and a 3rd, and get back a 3C, a defensmean, and a 2nd? I’m not sure how GMJR pulled this off. Add in the fact that we get an extra year of Bonino (at around 60% of Sutter’s salary), and were able to sign another 3C (Fehr) to a very palatable 3 year deal, and this is a huge win.

Talk about a change in perception!

Edited by LakeLivin

It sure is LakeLivin!  Although I think I'm with the Pens fans reaction--at least as a quick take, it does look like a pretty good deal for them.  And Vancouver's GM is referring to Sutter as a "foundation piece" for their team, which seems to be a reach...and a sure sign that ol' JR must have put on quite a sales pitch...!  

•  
  •  

JR won a trade with one of the 2 GMs in the League that might be worse than him.  I'd hold off giving him the keys to the city ,if I was part of the Pens fanbase.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with veteran center Matt Cullen on a one-year contract for $800,000