The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Once they were Canes

In reading the story about Wiz getting the tryout it appears that isn't his first significant leg injury. I think the decision was based more on opening up a spot but I'm sure the risk/reward played into it.

Cool, they never have to sit through Canadian national anthems there.

Hm. Didn't know the Boston Bruins had left the NHL to join the KHL. :lol:

Khudobin did the smart thing and signed a deal with the Bruins.

http://nesn.com/2016/07/nhl-rumors-bruins-bring-back-anton-khudobin-re-sign-john-michael-liles/

In reading the story about Wiz getting the tryout it appears that isn't his first significant leg injury. I think the decision was based more on opening up a spot but I'm sure the risk/reward played into it.

Yeah, he's had four ACL injuries - three to his left knee. It has to be a concern....

Hm. Didn't know the Boston Bruins had left the NHL to join the KHL. :lol:

Khudobin did the smart thing and signed a deal with the Bruins.

http://nesn.com/2016/07/nhl-rumors-bruins-bring-back-anton-khudobin-re-sign-john-michael-liles/

The article cited Dobby's agent as confirming him moving to the KHL.  I wonder if that was a ploy to drum up interest or if Dobby changed his mind?

The article cited Dobby's agent as confirming him moving to the KHL.  I wonder if that was a ploy to drum up interest or if Dobby changed his mind?

I know, Lake. Gentle teasing doesn't come across well here, I guess.

Could have been a ploy, that's true, but I'm not sure how well that works anymore. With the rise in leagues elsewhere and the possibility of making a decent living in Europe or in the KHL (assuming it is a decent living, I guess), I think NHL teams would be more willing to say "you wanna go, then go." More likely, IMO, that no NHL team expressed interest, Dobby told his agent to look elsewhere, and then the Bruins made an offer out of the blue.

I guess the question is, which is more desirable - having a shot to make an NHL team with the possibility that you end up riding buses in the AHL, or accepting a spot in a league which may or may not be at a high skill level, but with the assurance that you won't get sent to the minors.

For some guys, it's the opportunity; for others, it's the certainty.

I know, Lake. Gentle teasing doesn't come across well here, I guess.

Could have been a ploy, that's true, but I'm not sure how well that works anymore. With the rise in leagues elsewhere and the possibility of making a decent living in Europe or in the KHL (assuming it is a decent living, I guess), I think NHL teams would be more willing to say "you wanna go, then go." More likely, IMO, that no NHL team expressed interest, Dobby told his agent to look elsewhere, and then the Bruins made an offer out of the blue.

I guess the question is, which is more desirable - having a shot to make an NHL team with the possibility that you end up riding buses in the AHL, or accepting a spot in a league which may or may not be at a high skill level, but with the assurance that you won't get sent to the minors.

For some guys, it's the opportunity; for others, it's the certainty.

Nah, I got your intent from the smiley face.  It's just that your post raised the question in my mind about what actually happened.  I wonder if some players might not be more comfortable on AHL buses than KHL planes.  :P

Edited by LakeLivin

Nah, I got your intent from the smiley face.  It's just that your post raised the question in my mind about what actually happened.  I wonder if some players might not be more comfortable on AHL buses than KHL planes.  :P

RIP, Josef Vasicek and his Lokomotiv Yaroslavl teammates and coaches who died in the plane crash five years ago....

Glad we didn't try to bring him back.Why Kris Versteeg's contract w/ Bern was terminated was not insurance issue, he didn't pass the medical.

Wow, that's out of the blue. Never heard any rumors of Versteeg being hurt, especially a long-term thing that would impinge on his future playing opportunities....

Wow, that's out of the blue. Never heard any rumors of Versteeg being hurt, especially a long-term thing that would impinge on his future playing opportunities....

I read a few more articles that state he is healthy. It appears that Bern was not aware of hip surgery four years ago and that issue impacts their insurance.http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kris-versteeg-back-on-the-market-after-parting-with-swiss-side-sc-bern-122406519.html

I once saw a MAB jersey at a Canes game.  I wondered "Who would buy such a thing?"

I still see fat Kaberle jerseys on occasion.

The Semin jerseys are the best though. :coollaugh:

Simplest solution - wear a Whalers sweater. Already obsolete, so you don't care about that. Can't end up with a player who is currently in the doghouse. As a bonus, the colors make you stand out in the crowd at the PNC.

Simplest solution - wear a Whalers sweater. Already obsolete, so you don't care about that. Can't end up with a player who is currently in the doghouse. As a bonus, the colors make you stand out in the crowd at the PNC.

Yeah, we have a friend that sticks outs in the upper level from our seats down low.  He usually wears his Whalers jersey.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 24h24 hours ago

Kris Versteeg has officially signed PRO with the Oilers

Read an article speculating this might be a "free up" a guy for a trade move. But in the end the speculation was probably just a no risk move for RW depth.

There's always the Eberle rumors, and then there's Yakapov. Not saying we're interested though.

There is a contingency out there than thinks the Oilers just need to offload some guys who have been part of too much losing for too long, and that was part of the rationale for the Hall trade.

Edited by remkin

Wasn't Versteeg the only substantial player to get the punitive press box treatment last year? I may be forgetting someone. But the two that stand out to me were Versteeg and his Lazinessky.

I was excited about Versteeg when the Hurricanes acquired him.  I was just as excited when he left.  He's a good hockey player and he had his moments, but i do think he was trying to channel his inner Sasha on quite a few occasions.