The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
LakeLivin

Canes Prospects Rated 26th

Cory Pronman at ESPN did a series on NHL team prospects.  He has the Canes rated at 26th but likes our 2014 draft. 

____________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________

Top prospects by team: Metro A deeper look at each team's system, including impact on the 2014-15 season
Originally Published: August 19, 2014
By Corey Pronman | ESPN Insider
  •  
  •  
  •  

As part of the prospect rankings series this summer, we've looked at the Top 100 overall prospects, Top 10 goalie prospects and the ranking of all 30 NHL teams in order of their prospect pipeline.

We continue with a deeper look at the state of each team's pipeline, as I identify the top 10 prospects for each organization. Included in the analysis is an overview of the system, what kind of an impact will be made by the prospect group in 2014-15, and a particularly noteworthy player from each system.

A reminder that my rankings are determined by conversations with scouts, coaches and executives, as well as my own viewings. My assessment of forwards leans toward puck possession skills, and I tend to favor those players more than defensemen or goalies, whose development is harder to project.

Carolina Hurricanes

Org rank: 26

Overview

For a system rated near the bottom of the league, the Hurricanes actually have arguably above-average depth in their pipeline; but after Haydn Fleury, they really lack high-end talent. In the 2014 draft, they brought in several quality talents into a pipeline that severely needed it.

Top 10 Prospects
Name                           Position        Overall rank (his top 100)
Haydn Fleury                  D                                13
Lucas Wallmark              C  
Sergei Tolchinsky           LW  
Victor Rask                      C  
Clark Bishop                    C  
Alex Nedeljkovic              G                                 15G
Jaccob Slavin                  D  
Brock McGinn                  C  
Phil Di Giuseppe            LW  
Trevor Carrick                 D  

I'm a big fan of both Lucas Wallmark and Sergey Tolchinsky; I had them as top-75 prospects in this summer's draft class. Wallmark was snagged with the No. 97 pick while Tolchinsky went undrafted but was subsequently picked up by Carolina. Wallmark is a high-end passer who has shown well at the pro and international levels when healthy. Tolchinsky can be a very entertaining player to watch due to his dynamic speed and skill, but he's very small (5-foot-8, 165 pounds). Victor Rask had significant issues with physical adjustment in his first full AHL season, but when he's on, he's a skilled playmaker. Clark Bishop's offensive numbers aren't the best, but he's a player who always passes the eye test in viewings; he's a very good skater with a high level of character and hockey IQ. Alex Nedeljkovic is a top goalie prospect who has put up sterling numbers in the CHL for his age, with consecutive seasons of a save percentage over .920. He's a very athletic goaltender who can make a lot of the high-difficulty saves.

Brock McGinn is a very good skater with a top-end physical game. He likely projects as a bottom-six forward with defensive value, but he can chip in some offense too. Phil Di Giuseppe is a good skater and puck handler, but it's tough to say where he projects in the NHL, given he's not outstanding offensively. Trevor Carrick had a very good 19-year-old season. He's big, works hard, can move the puck and has a big shot.

Defenseman Brett Pesce (11th in system) is another player to keep in mind. He's a very effective defensive player with the high defensive IQ, physicality and enough puck-movement skill to excel in a tough-minutes role, even as a mediocre skater. Warren Foegele (12th) is a very energetic forward who darts around the ice with very good speed but lacks offensive creativity. I'm not sure what Erik Karlsson (13th) can be in the NHL; he's a bit of a tweener right now.

2014-15 impact

Not a lot of players are ready to make the jump, but it's not crazy to think McGinn will get a taste due to his pro-style game. Michal Jordan (14th) is an older player who doesn't have a lot of upside, but he could be a low-end NHLer who has played well defensively in the AHL (and he'll obviously cause a lot of double takes due to his name, playing for Carolina). Chris Terry (15th) has shown very well in the AHL level, and while he's played some NHL games, making him a future candidate, he hasn't shown the speed to stick with Carolina given his size.

Noteworthy prospect

Jaccob Slavin had a breakout season in the NCAA as one of his conference's (NCHC) better defensemen, and he played a lower role on the U.S. team at the IIHF World Junior Championship. He skates and moves the puck at an average or better level, with decent defensive ability.

___________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by LakeLivin

I wouldn't necessarily call Fleury a top-end talent right now. I don't know what's up with him but since being cut from the World Junior roster , Fleury has 2 goals and 3 assists in the last 20 games.

In order to match his totals from his draft year, he would need 5 more goals, 24 assists and be a +20 over the last 23 games.

Fleury at the #2 dman picked should be a good prospect. He did get cut last for World Juniors, but only one guy in his age group made the cut, and Fleury was the last man cut. It does sound like his offensive numbers have not come along as well as hoped. He's very young, but probaly not an NHL're next year I think.

Rask is kind of past being a prospect almost, but I have high hopes for him.

I like McGinn eventually to be a very good third liner.

I really like Alex Nedeljkovic too, but again, a couple years off.

Tolchinski so good, so tiny.

Slavin, hmmm, not familiar but sounds good..

Foegele, was a kind of gamble, and doesn't sound great there, but put up a ton of points in a low level league. At NH, should determine if he can score w/ good competion, that write up doesn't sound great.

Want to see more of Wallmark because we need playmakers.

In sum, our top pick and the one that just can't be a whiff is Fleury. But he is big and skates well, and some draft prognositcators loved him, so I'm not too worried yet.

I'm starting to wonder if there's a chance Tolchinsky might not automatically get squished in the NHL. 

I don't think Tyler Johnson or Johnny Gaudreau have been seriously hurt this year.  Johnson is listed at 5'9" 182 lbs by the Bolts but I'm not sure I believe it; he sure looks a lot smaller.  Calgary isn't even trying; they list Gaudreau at 5'9" 150 lbs. :lol:

I wonder if the Canes might bring in the Smurf for a couple of games this season just to provide the fans with some excitement?  Hopefully it would be the Johnny Gaudreau kind, not the Roman Colosseum kind. :o

SMURF, SMURF SMURF!!!

Edited by LakeLivin

Great discussion guys, despite this thread's OP citation of "hockey reporting" by ESPN, a phrase which should always be written exactly as I just did, in quotes.  :lol:

Edited by top-shelf-1