The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Traverse City Prospects Tourney

Traverse City Prospects Tourney                                                                                                                          Sept. 12-16 in Traverse City, Mich.

Tracking the Storm - By Michael Smith

The Hurricanes will open their three-game round-robin slate on Friday, Sept. 12 at 4:00 p.m. against Buffalo. The Canes then face Dallas at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 13 and New York at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 15. The tournament will be capped on Tuesday, Sept. 16 as the teams cross divisions to play their standings’ equal; the two first-place teams will face off for the championship at 7 p.m.

Schedule

FRI SEP 12, 2014 HURRICANES SABRES 4:00 PM
SAT SEP 13, 2014 STARS HURRICANES 3:30 PM
MON SEP 15, 2014 HURRICANES RANGERS 6:30
PM TUE SEP 16, 2014 TBD TBD TBD

Team Roster

Interested to see Fleury, ,DiGuiseppe, Brown, Rask, McGinn, Kidsky, and both goalies. 

Those are our best kids and outside of Fleury and McGinn and the goalies....pretty thin.

Interested to see Fleury, ,DiGuiseppe, Brown, Rask, McGinn, Kidsky, and both goalies. 

Those are our best kids and outside of Fleury and McGinn and the goalies....pretty thin.

I agree with you. I guess you always hope someone off the radar will have a great tourney.

Too bad Pesce can't participate.

Maybe someone with a better memory can answer this: didn't Altshuller get lit up a bit in last years tourney?  That's my vague recollection, but I don't put much faith in it.  I'm more optimistic about NEDELJKOVIC (we're gonna need a nickname for him if he shows any promise; I'm sure not going to try to spell that off the top of my head).

Edited by LakeLivin

You forgot Slavin, Wallmark, Karlsson, and Foegele. 

I can understand the Euro's not making it, but  Slavin and Pesce?  I'd much rather see them than all these invitees.

I can understand the Euro's not making it, but  Slavin and Pesce?  I'd much rather see them than all these invitees.

Slavin, Pesce, and Foegle are probably all on campus right now.  Haven't most colleges started already?

Edited by LakeLivin

True, I was looking at the Traverse City Roster. I have some hope for those guys, but right now it's just hope.

Slavin, Pesce, and Foegle are probably all on campus right now.  Haven't most colleges started already?

Well duh, that makes sense.  Thanks Lake. 

I noticed that CanesVision is supposed to cover the tourney.  That's a first.

Since we can't have the college kids at Traverse City I kind of like the fact that we a bunch of invitees. Maybe we'll get lucky and uncover another Tolchinsky! 

SMURF!      SMURF!     SMURF!

Edited by LakeLivin

Too bad Pesce can't participate.

Maybe someone with a better memory can answer this: didn't Altshuller get lit up a bit in last years tourney?  That's my vague recollection, but I don't put much faith in it.  I'm more optimistic about NEDELJKOVIC (we're gonna need a nickname for him if he shows any promise; I'm sure not going to try to spell that off the top of my head).

Nedelikovic--->Ned--->Flanders!  (Hi-diddly-ho, neighbor!)

There is hockey today. The prospects get their chance to show up and show off.

FRI SEP 12, 2014 HURRICANES SABRES 4:00 PM

5-1 lead by Carolina in the third period. Seems like first line of McGinn, Rask, Tolchinsky has been good. Di Giuseppe is also standing out with 2 goals so far. I think 3 of the goals were on the PP.

Scratch that 6-1 'Canes, Brent Pedersen walks right in and scores under the bar, :o

Edited by SuckaPunchd

From Hockey's Future tourney preview:

Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres enter the 2014 tournament boasting arguably the most talented group of prospects, on paper at least. This year’s squad will be led by the Sabres’ top pick at the 2014 NHL Draft, Sam Reinhart, but he isn’t the only first round selection competing for that club in Traverse City. 2011 top pick Joel Armia will be on the ice, as will 2012 first round defensive duo, Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov. Andrey Makarov is likely to handle the bulk of the goaltending duties with camp invitee Francois Brassard backing up Makaraov. One intriguing free agent taking part is forward Jordan Samuels-Thomas, who starred at Quinnipiac University but went unsigned by the Winnipeg Jets.

The Sabres will be a part of the Ted Lindsay Division at this tournament, along with the Hurricanes, Stars and Rangers.

More information on the Sabres roster and tournament schedule can be found at this link.

Carolina Hurricanes

The Hurricanes currently sport one of the more sparse groups of prospects in the NHL, although there is certainly some talent there. The strength of the Traverse City squad should be in goal, with 2014 second round pick Alex Nedeljkovic and 2012 third round selection Daniel Altshuller guarding the net for the Hurricanes. Other prospects of note include 2014 first rounder Haydn Fleury plus 2013 free agent signee Sergei Tolchinsky. Forward Brock McGinn, who was an important cog in the Guelph Storm’s run to the Memorial Cup final, should help power the Hurricanes’s offense at this tournament.

You can view more information about the Hurricanes’ roster and tournament schedule at this link.

Buffalo:  "boasting arguably the most talented group of prospects"

Carolina: "currently sport one of the more sparse groups of prospects in the NHL"

HA!!!

Edited by LakeLivin

DiGiuseppe.

He keeps floating to the top. Remember -  PDG was taken 38th overall and 9 spots ahead of Brock McGinn.

Hopefully, where smoke is, there's bbq!

I'm glad just to see him doing well.  We need guys to pan out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The matchup vs. Dallas today should be interesting. We are sporting 3 players 6'3" and taller while Dallas has a whopping 13! Wow

Sergey and Aleardi better tighten their chin straps.

The matchup vs. Dallas today should be interesting. We are sporting 3 players 6'3" and taller while Dallas has a whopping 13! Wow

Sergey and Aleardi better tighten their chin straps.

Just skate under them. ;)

Yeah, I think people keep forgeting that the puck is on the ground. Heck it isn't even like soccer where you have to head it occasionally.

That was a really nice scoresheet, pretty much all the names you want to see are on there.

If they do that again, just bring those guys on up. OK, I'm getting carried away, but good to see still..

On the plus side, 3 out of 4 on the power play and Ned saved 34 of 35 shots (0.971%).  :applaud:

On the not so positive side, we gave up 35 shots to our 20.  Good goaltending or forcing them to take poor shots?

Canes posted some highlights here:  http://video.hurricanes.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=630269&navid=DL|CAR|home

edit: did anyone else think Nedeljkovic was European just because of his name?  He's actually from Ohio, lol. :facepalm:

Edited by LakeLivin

McGinn not playing today:

Brock McGinn will be held out with a lower-body concern. McGinn skated off the ice in quite a bit of pain during yesterday’s second period, but he played the remainder of the game and skated this morning.

“He wants to play, but we’re trying to be smart this time of year and give him a couple of days,” Daniels said. “He’ll be back in the lineup Monday night.”

So I'll probably edit this with the outcome, but it's 2-2 in Traverse City going into OT w/ the Rangers, and from the Hurricanes Game Day twitter they posted this:

Dry scrape happening now. Here's how we proceed in OT: -- 4 min. 4-on-4 sudden death -- 4 min. 3-on-3 sudden death -- 5 player shootout

I would love to see that in the NHL.

Edit: Canes win 3-2 on shot by Rask during...wait for it.....3 on 3 time.

Canes play for third tomorrow.

Edited by remkin