The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

Carolina Hurricanes 2014-15 Training Camp

The Hurricanes will open training camp with player physicals on Sept. 18, and then hit the ice for their first official practices at PNC Arena on Friday, Sept. 19., beginning at 8:55 a.m. The team will play its first preseason game at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 21, at PNC Arena against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The Hurricanes will host the annual Caniac Carnival at PNC Arena on Friday, Sept. 26, including a Red-White scrimmage at 7 p.m.

The Hurricanes have invited 51 players to their main camp, including five goaltenders, 18 defensemen and 28 forwards.

Training Camp Schedule

Training Camp Roster

GROUP A (26)                              
Skinner E. Staal Lindholm
Malone McClement Dwyer
DiGuiseppe Holmstrom Terry
Sandlak Brown Ja. Staal
Hagel Tolchinsky

Sekera Murphy
Harrison Bellemore
Fleury Biega
Carrick Wesley
Jenkins

Khudobin
Altshuller

Nedeljkovic

GROUP B (25)
Tlusty Staal, Jo. Semin
Gerbe Nash Boychuk
McGinn Rask Shugg
Woods Sutter Nemisz
Bishop Pedersen

Hainsey Faulk
Gleason Liles
Jordan Rissanen
Lowe Roberston
Ganly

Ward

MacIntyre

Not to read too much into this, but it would sort of suggest Boychuk still has the inside track with the coach wanting to see a potential third line of Boychuk-Nash-Gerbe, while Terry gets less experienced linemates.

Also I wonder if they are trying out a potential top line or part of top line for Charlotte with McGinn/Rask/Shugg.

Edited by remkin

It will be interesting to see Boychuk go over on the right wing.  I really want to see how Tlusty-Jordan-Semin looks. 

Good point on the McGinn/Rask/Shugg line Rem.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Good point on the McGinn/Rask/Shugg line Rem.

Gotta keep the pipeline going!

But even before the puck drops it would seem that McGinn and Rask would be on the short list for call ups.

I cannot believe we actually have a preseason hockey game in 3 days. Can that be right?

Wow. Time to start proving it.

Its beginning to feel  like hockey. Training camp is underway.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  25m

Bill Peters takes the ice for first practice of Canes camp

Wesley, Stillman on the ice along with asst coaches Brind'Amour, Smith.

Whistle blows at 8:52 am. Peters starts things three minutes early.

I just had it pointed out that camp is closed tomorrow (and next Saturday) due to NC State football.  That sucks since I was really looking forward to going tomorrow and seeing the PP/PK sessions in particular.

Impressions of first practice this morning from the twitter universe.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  2h

Pace was brisk and goalies got plenty of work in first Canes session. Good hard-working start.

Semin with breakaway score in scrimmage. Wrist seems fine.

Unless eyes are deceiving me, had a brief Chad LaRose sighting in Canes locker room area.

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  23m

Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner both said the pace of practice was great and that Bill Peters came in with a plan and was clear delivering it

Bellemore with a takeout of Gerbe along the boards. @NHLCanes Scrimmage has some pretty aggressive play for day one of camp

First goal goes to Group B: Alexander Semin gets sprung on a break and beats Khudobin glove side for a 1-0 lead

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  2h

PP work happening now. Breakouts with each separate group of five. Brind'Amour leading the instruction.

Russian-on-Russian crime. Semin goes top shelf on Khudobin. White has the 1-0 lead.

IMPORTANT: Upon further review, Jared Staal scored goal for Red in the #CanesCamp scrimmage, getting a piece of Skinner's shot. As you were.

Theres more if you click on the names it will take you to their twitter page.

It appears from what I'm reading that Peters didn't waste any time getting this camp going. Sounds very competitive for a first day practice with some banging going on.

Practice day 2

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  17m

Peters says Canes' lines are in flux in camp. But Nash centering Gerbe, Boychuk, and McClement with Malone, Dwyer could be bottom six

Francis, Peters have praised Rask's play in recent days. One has to think Nash has picked up on it.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  54m

Phil Di Giuseppe showing that scoring touch on a 2-on-1. Beautiful hands to give Red a 1-0 lead. #CanesCamp

Jay McClement with a serious blast, and it's 2-0 Red. #CanesCamp

Nedeljkovic with 2 good saves. Flashed the glove on a Gleason point bomb, then stoned Nash point blank. And he's just 18.

Semin toe drag to between the circles. Bar down on Altshuller for the goal. 2-1 Red now.

Eric Staal goes top-shelf on MacIntyre at the other end on a 2-on-1. Stretches Red lead to 3-1

I think Red won the shootout. Harrison (yes), E. Staal, Lindholm scored for Red

Wtith the two squads I do think Peters is mixing and matching quite a bit to even out the squads. My guess is he wants to see certain guys in certain situations, while other guys he wants to see if there's actual chemistry. While Peters himself said don't make too much of the line combos, I do think certain lines he does want to see together. ie: Boychuk/Nash/Gerbe. I just think he has them penciled in as the leading candidates for line 3.

As an example of just seeing guys in certain situations, I think of Murphy-Sekera. Almost no chance that ends up being an actual pairing, but Peters sees Murphy as one of those guys he really wants to see what he can do period. So put him w/ a really good player and see how he does.

Di Guiseppe and Rask's names are coming up a lot early on (including Traverse City), and I am really thinking we might have our goalie of the future in Nedljkovic.

But hearing Semina and E. looking good is the best thing.

Edited by remkin

Practice day 2

Phil Di Giuseppe showing that scoring touch on a 2-on-1. Beautiful hands to give Red a 1-0 lead. #CanesCamp

Jay McClement with a serious blast, and it's 2-0 Red. #CanesCamp

Nedeljkovic with 2 good saves. Flashed the glove on a Gleason point bomb, then stoned Nash point blank. And he's just 18.

Semin toe drag to between the circles. Bar down on Altshuller for the goal. 2-1 Red now.

Eric Staal goes top-shelf on MacIntyre at the other end on a 2-on-1. Stretches Red lead to 3-1

I think Red won the shootout. Harrison (yes), E. Staal, Lindholm scored for Red

I'm starting to get a feel for whats going on through the tweets. Looks like a very up tempo camp where nobody really has a lock on their position. It would appear Semin is healthy and the wrist is alright.

I like EVERYTHING about this post.

Sounds like for once in a long while we might not open the regular season in pre-season mode.

Like what I'm hearing from camp.

Oh, and great job Michael Smith, and you too Chip, for all the info.  Keep it coming.

Edited by coastal_caniac

According to Chip with E sitting out tomorrows game Nash will center Skinner and Lindy. A little bonus for Nash and Peters will get to look at that line that was good at the end of last season.

I wonder if E will center Tlusty and Semin in the second game?

OBXer, according to Peters Group B will dress for Game 2, which would be Tlusty-Jordan-Semn.

Nash should take note and bring it tomorrow.  A kid is breathing down his neck.

Edited by coastal_caniac

OBXer, according to Peters Group B will dress for Game 2, which would be Tlusty-Jordan-Semn.

Nash should take note and bring it tomorrow.  A kid is breathing down his neck.

I was wondering since E was not dressing with group A for the Game 1 if he might dress for Game 2. It was just a curiosity. I'm not reading too much into any of this and I must admit I'm as curious to see J with Tlusty and Semin.

Anybody going to the Game?

I was wondering since E was not dressing with group A for the Game 1 if he might dress for Game 2. It was just a curiosity. I'm not reading too much into any of this and I must admit I'm as curious to see J with Tlusty and Semin.

Anybody going to the Game?

I'll be there.