The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

Over on Canes Country, reporting that Peter Mueller has been placed on waivers by the Blue Jackets. HMMM interesting. does Ron need to pounce?

OH, my bad, the Blues(they all look alike).

On another topic, I hope Khudobin is wearing his flak jacket tonight, as he likely will see plenty of rubber sent his way!

Edited by KJUNKANE

Interesting on Mueller indeed. I know a few of us were hoping his tryout would be with us.

Might we claim him? I guess he must not have looked great though...still.

What are those waiver rules again? If we claim him we have to put him on the roster don't we?

From http://archauthority.com/2014/10/01/st-louis-blues-place-peter-mueller-nate-prosser-waivers/

"In what presumably is the first step in preparing them to go down to the AHL Chicago Wolves, the St. Louis Blues have placed forward Peter Mueller and defenseman Nate Prosser on waivers. Both players have had pretty extensive NHL careers but were signed by the Blues as depth players. With that said, they both were good enough in training camp to give themselves a decent shot at making the team.

The 26-year-old Mueller, a veteran of five NHL seasons, is attempting to make a comeback after concussions derailed his previous stint in the NHL. After playing in Switzerland last year, he decided to return to America and signed with the Blues this offseason. Mueller had some nice moments in camp but apparently was not impressive enough to beat out guys like Dmitrij Jaskin and Joakim Lindstrom."

--------------------------------------------------

Not making the Blues roster is different from not making the Canes roster. He's got a 2-way contract (I think $750k NHL, $250k AHL).  A natural RWer, former #8 overall pick.  Roll the dice Ronnie!  Good potential upside with not much downside imo.

Edited by LakeLivin

Any predictions for how the lines will look on opening? It seems like the top 6 is pretty set.

Tlusty - EStaal - Semin

Skinner - Nash - Lindholm

As far as the bottom 6 goes, I really have no clue but I'd be happy with something like this:

Gerbe - Rask - Boychuk

McGinn - McClement - Dwyer

Outside of the top defensive pairing, Peters could go several different directions.

Sekera - Faulk

Hainsey - Murphy

Gleason - Liles

Harrison

I remember Peters mentioning Murphy several times as a guy he likes. He and Hainsey could compliment each other well.

Any waiver experts know if we pick up Mueller if he has to make the team and how many games he has to play?

Faulker, I think your line projections are very close. I'd give Terry or Malone the inside track over McGinn for line 4 to start, but outside of that, I'm thinking everything else you have up there.

I do think Rask needs one more good game, and it would be interesting to see what would happen if we claimed Mueller. Of course that's a longshot, but would be interesting..

Another assessment of Mueller's play so far: http://archauthority.com/2014/09/30/heavy-competition-ensuing-final-st-louis-blues-roster-spots/

"Mueller, meanwhile, was going to have to have a very good camp to win a spot, and while he’s been solid, he hasn’t necessarily wowed. He’ll probably have to go down to the AHL and earn a call-up later on."

I'd be ecstatic to add another "solid" RW right now.  And given our circumstances, if we don't at least make an attempt at Mueller (other teams might bite as well) I'm going to be suspicious that mgmt is playing for a lottery pick in next years draft rather than a playoff spot.

Any waiver experts know if we pick up Mueller if he has to make the team and how many games he has to play?

Faulker, I think your line projections are very close. I'd give Terry or Malone the inside track over McGinn for line 4 to start, but outside of that, I'm thinking everything else you have up there.

I do think Rask needs one more good game, and it would be interesting to see what would happen if we claimed Mueller. Of course that's a longshot, but would be interesting..

I'm pretty sure we'd have to add him to the Canes roster. Not sure for how many games, but he would go through waivers again if we subsequently sent him down.,

If we don't take a chance on Mueller it signals that we are strictly in an evaluation year to determine who stay and who goes.The fact that they are trying wingers on oposite sides states they know we have no scoring on the right wing.From what I have seen this offseason,this is strictly an evaluation year.The lottery may be a secondary goal while cleaning house.

It is hard to imagine not taking a shot if he's there when our turn comes up.

If he doesn't work out, we waive him. Someone picks him up or we send him down.

We need RW and this guy has high end potential.

Is the picking order the reverse order of last year's record? If so we would be #7 in line to pick him up.

If we don't take a chance on Mueller it signals that we are strictly in an evaluation year to determine who stay and who goes.The fact that they are trying wingers on oposite sides states they know we have no scoring on the right wing.From what I have seen this offseason,this is strictly an evaluation year.The lottery may be a secondary goal while cleaning house.

SS: if our management can't evaluate players while at the same time doing everything it can to win, it's time for new management. :(

Yeah, I wasn't sure who to give the final spot. I'm thinking the 12 above along with Terry and Malone will be our forwards until Jordan comes back (unless we trade or sign another guy). 

Edited by TheFaulker

Forslund was just on 99.9 and basically said he thinks the lines will be what is posted above with Malone instead of McGinn on the 4th.

Edited by TheFaulker

The thought of picking up Mueller is appealing, but he did play last night and the coaching staff had a chance to watch him skate so they should have a pretty good idea whether he could beat out anyone else in camp vying for the same spot.  We will see at noon tomorrow but my hunch is Francis will not put in a claim.

Why is this game "not available in your area"? If it is to protect 99.9 broadcast I'll listen to Chuck and watch the images.

Seems very short sighted to limit the availability of that feed. It's the internet. It knows where I am coming in from and blacks out a preseason game that about 5 people would bother to find?

Not happy. 

SS: if our management can't evaluate players while at the same time doing everything it can to win, it's time for new management. :(

Lake,we certainly have not done everything possible in the off season and doing what it can to win.PK is not going to invest further until it is determined how far to rebuild the team.Why invest more money and more contracts if they decide to rebuild after this year.Just more contracts to move at this point. We are still under the cap and spent practically nothing changing the makeup of this team from last year.PK,RF and BP like this team,unfortunately it does not have enough talent to be any real threat.It's all about youth at this point in time and PK isn't going to donate any more dollars.

Lake,we certainly have not done everything possible in the off season and doing what it can to win.PK is not going to invest further until it is determined how far to rebuild the team.Why invest more money and more contracts if they decide to rebuild after this year.Just more contracts to move at this point. We are still under the cap and spent practically nothing changing the makeup of this team from last year.PK,RF and BP like this team,unfortunately it does not have enough talent to be any real threat.It's all about youth at this point in time and PK isn't going to donate any more dollars.

ss: we're mostly on the same page, where we seem to disagree a bit is on managements motivation not to do anything.  I think you nailed it when you said "at this point in time and PK isn't going to donate any more dollars."  I'm not buying that RF and PK necessarily "like this team".  I think that's the company line and they have to repeat it. 

If we don't move on Mueller, the reason I think that the draft lottery might be driving the decision as much or more than talent evaluation is that it's not like we've got a bunch of young studs coming up. On the front line the only potential stud I see is Lindholm.  Potential top1st 2 lines? Maybe Boychuk or Terry, Rask, McGinn, DiGiuseppi at this point?  But only some subset of them. somewhere down the road for most, and at best a ceiling that = solid for most. 

I get your point about rationing resources right now , but Mueller wouldn't cost anything in return. He's on a 2-way, 1 year deal such that it would only cost us $250k if we sent him down (and that's if no one else claimed him off of waivers).  With a max total liability of only $250k if he doesn't work out, and potentially significant upside if he did, I really still would question whether PK has the draft lottery in the back of his mind at this point if he isn't willing to pony up that much more.  He must know how shallow we are, even of 1 or 2 of the youths do work out.  We'll see what happens. At least with a 24 hour waiver claim window we'll find out really soon where mgmt stands.    

Edited by LakeLivin

I was wrong, coastal was right. Rask deserves a chance. He looks so much better then a year ago

Still don't understand the internet blackout on us.

But Rask just helped his chances. 

I'll bet they are testing something with the blackout and I expect it will somehow cost us money down the line if it works,

Rask let a shot go after his goal, then won the face off leading to Jordan's goal. Does he get an assist for that?

Rask is defintely making a statement.

Edited by remkin

Rask let a shot go after his goal, then won the face off leading to Jordan's goal. Does he get an assist for that?

Rask is defintely making a statement.

Rask is definitely making the team