The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

I really wasn't impressed with the 4th line. I'm not sure why

I came away with the same feeling but McClement is rocking faceoffs, and once Dwyer gets comfortable I'm not really worried there.  Can't say Malone has that job in hand on the other side though.

I think the score was more due to the defense rather than Khudobin. Lots of screened shots, and multiple deflection goals. Peters even said in the postgame interview, he thought some of the goals they could've gotten back if there was video review available.

Bellemore will be the enforcer, just dont take  3 straight penalties, set a record.. I thought we had a soft schedule to start, but the Isles may be one of the most improved teams in the East... I think after seeing Sabres and Caps games with our so called actual team, we will have a better idea.. by Sunday...

Guys, let's take a deep breath. We were playing a team we have had chronic trouble competing with, and doing it almost entirely with kids who will not be on the opening night roster, while the BJ's had most of their top talent on the ice. Peters was clearly looking to confirm some things. The number one-thing was Rask, who came through big time. I also agree with whomever said it was about finding our sixth D-man. Let's hope he is bold enough to say adios to Bellemore and Gleason in favor of Jordan, Biega or Rissanen.

Preseason is preseason. That includes the two games this weekend - both of which, I suspect, Peters will want played at full pace, and will see him (1) rolling the lines that will start the season, and (2) using the kids (Murph, Skins, Nash, Rask, Hainsey) as the first PP unit (it has been great all preseason), and the vets (Faulk, Staal, Semin, Tlusty/Gerbs, Sekera) as the second. 

The kids have gelled. The only question mark now is whether the vets will.

Bellemore will be the enforcer, just dont take  3 straight penalties, set a record.. I thought we had a soft schedule to start, but the Isles may be one of the most improved teams in the East... I think after seeing Sabres and Caps games with our so called actual team, we will have a better idea.. by Sunday...

Bellemore needs to go away. He is a clueless defenseman who takes stupid penalties and scares no one. 

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip  6m

Rissanen, Jordan, MacIntyre go on waivers with purpose of going to Charlotte. McGinn, Sutter among those sent to Checkers.

Canes reduce roster. Fleury sent back to junior team in Red Deer.

We are down to 25 and Terry and Brown are still on the roster.

So looking at our updated roster as of this morning, it looks like the guys left from AHL competing for a spot are:

Rask

Boychuck

Terry

Brown

Larose

Honestly I haven't heard a word about who Brown is but he is a center and must have had a great camp to still be here after the last round of cuts.  Anyone have info on him or noticed him in the preseason games or thinks he has a real shot of making opening night roster?

Here is the full list on the bye-bye list

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  23m 23 minutes ago

Waivers: Jordan, Rissanen, MacIntyre No waivers: Di Giuseppe, McGinn, Sandlak, Sutter, Woods, Biega Jr: Fleury

So we now know (not a surprise) that Khudobin and Ward are our goalies

We will still need to cut one D-man if we carry 7

One thing that sticks out to me is among this group of cuts there are some really good prospects.

So looking at our updated roster as of this morning, it looks like the guys left from AHL competing for a spot are:

Rask

Boychuck

Terry

Brown

Larose

Honestly I haven't heard a word about who Brown is but he is a center and must have had a great camp to still be here after the last round of cuts.  Anyone have info on him or noticed him in the preseason games or thinks he has a real shot of making opening night roster?

He was the kid we signed out of Boston College. I haven't really noticed him that much but apparently Peters has.

This is from the press release when we signed him to a entry level contract

“Patrick showed tremendous leadership and character while serving as Boston College’s captain this season,” said Francis. “He has an excellent work ethic and made great strides during his college career. We look forward to his continued development as a professional.”

I would add Boychuk to that group.  I saw the old NHL Boychuk out there tonight.  After he got flattened in front of the net, he disappeared from the game.

I would completely agree. At some point Boychuk has to take a clue from Rask and grab the ring. He needs to pretend he's back on the Checkers and go for it. At some point a scorer has to score. Or at least come really close a bunch of times.

Now that said, I must vent about the hair brained decision to black out last night's stream even an hour away from Raleigh. I was late to the workaround solution, and as such, 5 preseason games in, and I've seen part of one game on a computer w/ my own eyes....has Boychuk been around the net, hittting posts, etc?

So looking at the guys listed fighting for the spots up front, it would seem that only Rask is a lock (I am assuming Boychuk is too, but not having watched him play, can't be sure). The combination of the sudden need at center and the guy bringing it puts him on the glide path. He is the story of camp by a mile at this point. His progress has been far accelerated from what I would have thought based on last year. Here's a guy who must have worked his hinder off during the offseason. Good for him. I hope he can keep it up. Pretty much squashes the Loktionov thoughts.

Brown continues to interest. I wonder if he can play wing because that last 4th line spot could be interesting w/ him on it. Big body. One expert I read a while ago listed him as a dark horse to make the team. Also provides some depth at center if he can play wing. I ask again, can't just about any center play wing?

LaRose? Might be one of those last guy standing things? Terry, Brown, Malone don't get the job done, and as the mist clears there's LaRose. I still say no.

With very little time left on the meter, I still wonder why not take a shot at Meuller. I've heard his defense isn't great, but the one thing all the best teams have that we definitely don't have is depth. This guy was the #8 pick overall and put up 54 point his first NHL season. Even over his injury and concussion riddled years he put up decent number per game for say the third line. I can only assume his somewhat weak defensive play combined w/ Francis sticking like superglue to his "play the hand you're dealt" combined with something I'm not aware of....we will know for sure very soon. Odds are we don't get him.

These preseason games are tough to judge from. Mainly because they are split squad games, and really only a few games. Also, the NHL doesn't want us seeing them. But mainly I think you have to read between the lines and look for key indicators. E and Semin have played ONE game so far. Both coming off surgery. So throw that out. Some good:

Ward played a decent game.

Rask. Right when we really needed it, he did the unthinkable for a guy who has played a year on our AHL team: stepped up and took it.

Gerbe. Looking good (from what I hear).

Skinner seems on track.

We've had some signs of a new and improved PP.

We need to see:

Defense solidify and find the bottom 2.

Khudini have a solid outing.

Semin/E/Tlusty has to find it. If not.....whooo boy, we are going to have a rough ride finding goals.

Skinner/Linholm ? needs to also find it.

Boychuk. If he can step up, that third line becomes a threat, and he can help the PP.

The new improved PP must be for real.

A lot had to go right w/ Jordan in there. Now, if no moves are forthcoming, a lot and then some needs to go right.

The first hints should come starting tomorrow.

Edited by remkin

I want to see the NHL defense we are going to go with all on the ice and playing together.

Right now, and from what I've seen of individual play, this defense looks to be a dumpster fire.

While some of us are kind of distantly hoping for a Mueller pick up, teams are cutting their rosters across the league. Might there be anyone else from a much deeper team that finds themselves on waivers that we might grab?

While some of us are kind of distantly hoping for a Mueller pick up, teams are cutting their rosters across the league. Might there be anyone else from a much deeper team that finds themselves on waivers that we might grab?

rem, As an "eternal optimist", I am quickly losing all hope, and for the life of me, can't understand this blasted waiting game. The time to act on Mueller is quickly and quietly fading, Perhaps you are rioght and Ronnie is playing a waiting game, hoping some team will jettison a more key player, but isn't that how this time last year played out? Too, we know how that ended.

BTW, what was your meaning to the comment "the first hints should come starting tomorrow"? These cryptic messages confuse me!! Haha

BTW, what was your meaning to the comment "the first hints should come starting tomorrow"? These cryptic messages confuse me!! Haha

Nothing so exciting hidden in there. Just that we will finally see something closely resembling our real team, with some guys having had some games to get their legs a bit. The last 2 preseason games serparated by just a couple of days, surely expect to see the real team in action. Even then a season is a long term thing, and even the first 10 games don't necessarily predict the ultimate outcome, let alone the second to last pre season game. Thus "hints" rather than definitive judgement.

Over at Canes Country Cory Lavalette is making reference to a Dwyer injury.

Patrick Brown, Chris Terry and Chad LaRose (who is not on an NHL contract and would need to sign one to join the Hurricanes) are seemingly jockeying for a fourth-line job if Patrick Dwyer's injury keeps him from starting the season in the lineup.

Rask

Boychuck

Terry

Brown

Larose

So do we go with 8 Dmen or 14 forwards?

D-men on a 2-way contract; Bellemore & Murphy.

Malone is on a 1-way contract for $650k. He's a big 25yo LW with 54 NHL games and a total of only 9 points.  Brown is 22yo, the same size, no NHL experience (4 years at BC), but he's a center and shoots right (does that make him more adaptable to possibly play RW?).  Given our "depth" at LW, any chance that at some point in the season we'd look at sending Malone down in favor of Brown in spite of Malone's 1-way contract?

Looking at our 25 man roster at this point really highlights our lack of depth imo.  PLEASE at least make an attempt at Mueller! If he plays at the NHL level he'd cost us an additional 1% in total team salary (0.4% if we play him in Charlotte).  And we're going to save much more than that once Jordan's LTIR insurance money kicks in.  At least give us indication that we're trying to make the playoffs! 

I don't think we want to be a reactive team. We should be a proactive team. So rather than pick up the one guy easily available and to be had that has been suffering from head injuries and hasn't play North American hockey in a year, I'd be happier with RF just sitting on the team he has. If the last two pre-season games are just horrible, then I think we may need more than just a Mueller.

Besides, say Khudobin does amazing and Cam doesn't completely stink it up but wants more ice time, and a team is willing to trade for him (even if we retain a bit of salary) we could be in a position this season with Jordan's 6m cap hit off the books and Ward being a trade candidate taking at least 3.35 million off the books before Staal's 6m comes back into play, allowing us to potentially add a piece that may not fit currently. 

Plus, what kind of message does adding Mueller who is a project in my opinion, not given to make the team, send to our young guys after all this praising of renewing from within and building from within? Would be a half step forward and a whole step back in my opinion. I think a lot of us are assuming too much without even knowing what the opening lineup will be. We don't need Mueller. 

I'll pass on Mueller, he's not going to make such a huge difference in the team we go from out of the playoffs to back in them on paper.

Making something substantial happen on defense though might. Specifically whatever get's Bellemore out of the lineup is a good move. Getting Gleason out of the lineup would be the second best move.

Edited by legend-1

I don't think we want to be a reactive team. We should be a proactive team. So rather than pick up the one guy easily available and to be had that has been suffering from head injuries and hasn't play North American hockey in a year, I'd be happier with RF just sitting on the team he has. If the last two pre-season games are just horrible, then I think we may need more than just a Mueller.

Besides, say Khudobin does amazing and Cam doesn't completely stink it up but wants more ice time, and a team is willing to trade for him (even if we retain a bit of salary) we could be in a position this season with Jordan's 6m cap hit off the books and Ward being a trade candidate taking at least 3.35 million off the books before Staal's 6m comes back into play, allowing us to potentially add a piece that may not fit currently. 

Plus, what kind of message does adding Mueller who is a project in my opinion, not given to make the team, send to our young guys after all this praising of renewing from within and building from within? Would be a half step forward and a whole step back in my opinion. I think a lot of us are assuming too much without even knowing what the opening lineup will be. We don't need Mueller. 

I don't think we want to be a reactive team. We should be a proactive team:

We agree completely here. But doing nothing at all isn't being proactive in my book. Even before J went down I'd have liked us to act since we knew we had only 2 RWs (3 if you count Lindholm) on the likely opening day roster.  Playing someone out of their natural position does not indicate proactivity to me.  Mueller seems like a last chance to be proactive before we find that our youths aren't enough to get us over the hump this year and any subsequent moves will cost us resources in addition to salary.

That's a lot of "ifs". :)

Plus, what kind of message does adding Mueller who is a project in my opinion, not given to make the team, send to our young guys after all this praising of renewing from within and building from within?

Again, given that we've only got 3 RWs on the roster (I'm not counting LaRose), I don't see how any of the prospects can have much of an issue if we bring in a 4th natural RW.

I think a lot of us are assuming too much without even knowing what the opening lineup will be.

We know we'll be forcing at least 1 square peg into a round hole on the RW. :P

If not Mueller, why not take a look at Carl Klingberg? 23yo 6'3", 205 lb. RW.   

TheHockeyNews player profile:  (http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?7669)

Assets: Oozes a power forward mentality and some sound scoring acumen. Has good size and work ethic. Is adept at playing sound defensively from either wing position.

Flaws: While he has scoring ability, the jury is still out on his long-range upside as a point producer at the highest level. Also needs to bring more consistency to his game.

Career Potential: Power forward with good upside.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like at least a reflection of Malone for the right side, and if he doesn't cut it in Raleigh his 2-way contract is only going to cost $75k at the AHL level.

Hey, I'm not saying a Mueller or a Klingberg are the complete answer.  But at least give poor Peters another piece to play with; the ones he's got now just aren't going to be enough imo.

Edited by LakeLivin

Sucka and legend, I guess I see things a little differently than you 2 seem to project.

1st and foremost, the bad taste in my mouth from the way things have transpired for the past several seasons doesn't seem to want to go away with the performances I've read about for the 1st little bit of this new season. Granted, we as fans of this team have very few glimpses for our own eyes, but when the disappointing sounding pre-season is coupled right out the gate with the disastrous injury Jordan suffered before even getting out the gate, the alarm bells start sounding off in my head.

2ndly, while I can't say that Mueller would be the savior for this season, at least acquiring him or someone equivalent to him signals that the powers to be in this organization are not adapting a "defeatist" attitude and are attempting to make some type of adjustment to the group after the news of this one critical injury.

Sucka, as to your point on this player's concussion history, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that he's played for over a year now, symptom free. Is he more vulnerable than a non-concussed player to recurrence, research seems to indicate yes, but so is Skinner, and we are keeping him around.

Now, on the issue of making improvement on the "defensive front", I'm in agreement with you legend, but I simply ask, Do you think that is as attainable than bolstering our forward group. I don't, thus rather than wait for replacements for our underwhelming D, I'd at least attempt to go for a more attainable player which almost certainly will be a forward.

I want to see the NHL defense we are going to go with all on the ice and playing together.

Right now, and from what I've seen of individual play, this defense looks to be a dumpster fire.

I don't see it that way at all. We've got five solid guys, and my guess is Gleason, Liles and Bellemore will platoon in competition for the last spot over the first ten games or so. I can't see it being anyone but Liles, but with today's cuts, that still makes our 7- and 8-hole guys Timmy and Bellemore. Which is either crazy or brilliant on Peters' part - it may well be that we'll carry 8 and rotate those two in for games against the likes of the Bruins, Tampa Bay and Montreal. Despite their NHL experience, neither has brought anything more than physical presence thus far, so I'm thinking it is purely the "sandpaper" factor that is keeping them here.

Edited by top-shelf-1

If Semin is anything serious then I'm not panicking, but calmly moving to the exit. Oh, you never know, a band of misfits banding together with key contibutions from some new young guns that no one saw coming...but holy cow batman, J and Semin? That would be the old 1-2.

The defense at least has bodies. Of course if we lose anyone in the trio of Hainsey, Faulk or Sekera, that would change the outlook dramatically.

Has the deadline passed on claiming Mueller?

Edited by remkin