The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

If Semin is anything serious then I'm not panicking, but calmly moving to the exit. Oh, you never know, a band of misfits banding together with key contibutions from some new young guns that no one saw coming...but holy cow batman, J and Semin? That would be the old 1-2.

The defense at least has bodies. Of course if we lose anyone in the trio of Hainsey, Faulk or Sekera, that would change the outlook dramatically.

Has the deadline passed on claiming Mueller?

The waiver list comes out at noon each day so if Mueller was assigned after 12:00 pm yesterday (which it sounds like he was) teams would have until noon tomorrow to claim him.

If Semin is out for any period of time I say we spend the year "developing our youth" and I take back my call for reinforcements.

Who is Brown?

He was the kid we signed out of Boston College. I haven't really noticed him that much but apparently Peters has.

This is from the press release when we signed him to a entry level contract

Pay attention BD! :lol:

BCs captain last year, apparently a "character guy", not sure about his skill set.

Drayson Bowman signs with Montreal on a two-way deal.

Surprised he got another contract.

I posted this a couple of times before but Brown was reportedly pursued by other teams but he signed with Carolina because he thought it gave him the best chance to make the NHL/make an impact sooner. Not sure what that says about the organization but the truth hurts sometimes and hockey is a business.

Not sure what that says about the organization but the truth hurts sometimes and hockey is a business.

Brutally accurate these days.

I Hope  Brown  makes the team, comes from a  great  program,  will be watching him closely tomorrow night... How many  bad  Boston College players have played in the nhl???

The waiver list comes out at noon each day so if Mueller was assigned after 12:00 pm yesterday (which it sounds like he was) teams would have until noon tomorrow to claim him.

If Semin is out for any period of time I say we spend the year "developing our youth" and I take back my call for reinforcements.

From what I recall, it is traditional that during this period of "trim down" that teams do not generally claim anyone from waivers.  A sort of "gent's agreement" if you will.

But that's usually for chronic AHLers.  This one could be interesting.

Edited by wxray1

From what I recall, it is traditional that during this period of "trim down" that teams do not generally claim anyone from waivers.  A sort of "gent's agreement" if you will.

But that's usually for chronic AHLers.  This one could be interesting.

The Blues waived both Mueller and Nate Prosser and the Wild already claimed Prosser earlier today.  So there's certainly some recent precedence if we decide to go for Mueller.  And not much for the Canes to worry about in terms of "payback". I mean, what is St. Louis gonna do, pick up Rosie off the waiver wire if we sign him and send him down?   :rofl:

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm hoping Semin's issue is minor.If Semin and Dwyer were out for any period of time it would be a total joke at RW.This is the largest problem with this team.We do not have any depth. How often do we have our top six healthy? I continue to be amazed that PK goes through an offseason without adding any depth.Our season hangs on the need to stay totally healthy,which never happens in the NHL.Tickets not selling? I wonder why.PK selling the.team off in 5-6 yrs? Can't come quick enough for me.

I'm hoping Semin's issue is minor.If Semin and Dwyer were out for any period of time it would be a total joke at RW.This is the largest problem with this team.We do not have any depth. How often do we have our top six healthy? I continue to be amazed that PK goes through an offseason without adding any depth.Our season hangs on the need to stay totally healthy,which never happens in the NHL.Tickets not selling? I wonder why.PK selling the.team off in 5-6 yrs? Can't come quick enough for me.

And the Blackhawks are freaking out over their excess of depth.   Fans are frustrated they are not seeing the prospects.

Oh, what a tragic problem...  Poor boys.

Morning stuff from Michael Smith on game tonight

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  15m 15 minutes ago

#Canes top two forward lines: Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin Skinner-Rask-Lindholm

Bottom six was all over the place. Nash, McClement centering. Wings were rotating

LaRose-McClement-Gerbe and Boychuk-Nash-Malone might be your bottom six. Seen those combos the most.

#Canes defensive pairs: Sekera-Faulk Harrison-Gleason Liles-Bellemore Hainsey-Murphy One of those pairs will sit, obviously.

Cam Ward in the starter's crease. The plan is to have him play the entire game tonight. Khudobin to go in Washington.

Dwyer (lower body) not skating this morning if that hasn't already been mentioned.

It would appear to me we might not be quite as close as we had hoped in putting the seasons probable starting line-up on the ice tonight.

Gleason and Harrison can take turns icing the puck or falling down  #uselessdefensemen

It looks like Liles-Bellemore are the odd men out tonight. 

I know some are leukwarm on the Mueller thing, but I have to say:

Mueller > Rosey

Sorry if you still love Rosey, but if he makes the team it speaks to utter lack of confidence in "our group" especially the lower half of the forwards. In that case the GM should go get someone, anyone to at least TRY to improve a team that just lost a huge piece in J. I'm probalby overreacting, but Rosey has a way of somehow slipping upward like capillary action. Coaches can't seem to resist his charms. So he's gone from "might" play in the last preseaon game to playing in the second to last game on the third line. If LaRose shows his mettle to play on the 4th line, fine. But how can he have impressed enough to play on the third line when he hasn't even played yet?

Maybe just getting a look, but I do not like the downshift of Boychuk to what appears to be line 4.

I don't know what to make of:

Boychuk/Nash/Malone.   If we want to really see what Boychuk can do....Malone is a boarderline 4th liner.

And what of the Peters line of not using people out of position? Boychuk on the 4th line?

Gerbe/McClemment/LaRose. That's our third line? Really? Gerbe yes but...

If Boychuk is already being relegated to the 4th line it does not speak well of the coach's impression of him...

BUT if Boychuk is not seen as the guy, then LaRose is? So Boychuk, Terry, Brown all flame out and LaRose slides in?

If this plays out like this moving forward and it isn't just one game, it speaks to a lack of depth that is unaccepble and requires our GM to try to find a guy.

I get being cautious. I get wanting to see what we've got. I get "first do no harm..to the long term". But I don't get doing nothing when J. goes down and you're not liking what you're seeing from the guys you were wanting to look at. (Rask excepted)

OK, a bit of a rant. Things will work themselves out, right? It's just one preseason line up. Right?

Talk me down here. :shock:

Edited by remkin

LaRose is getting a look tonight. I wouldn't see anymore to it then that, for now. If he plays well he is in the mix. With the J injury and the chance Dwyer will be out Peters has to evaluate all our options.

I know some are leukwarm on the Mueller thing, but I have to say:

Mueller > Rosey

Sorry if you still love Rosey, but if he makes the team it speaks to utter lack of confidence in "our group" especially the lower half of the forwards. In that case the GM should go get someone, anyone to at least TRY to improve a team that just lost a huge piece in J. I'm probalby overreacting, but Rosey has a way of somehow slipping upward like capillary action. Coaches can't seem to resist his charms. So he's gone from "might" play in the last preseaon game to playing in the second to last game on the third line. If LaRose shows his mettle to play on the 4th line, fine. But how can he have impressed enough to play on the third line when he hasn't even played yet?

Maybe just getting a look, but I do not like the downshift of Boychuk to what appears to be line 4.

I don't know what to make of:

Boychuk/Nash/Malone.   If we want to really see what Boychuk can do....Malone is a boarderline 4th liner.

And what of the Peters line of not using people out of position? Boychuk on the 4th line?

Gerbe/McClemment/LaRose. That's our third line? Really? Gerbe yes but...

If Boychuk is already being relegated to the 4th line it does not speak well of the coach's impression of him...

BUT if Boychuk is not seen as the guy, then LaRose is? So Boychuk, Terry, Brown all flame out and LaRose slides in?

If this plays out like this moving forward and it isn't just one game, it speaks to a lack of depth that is unaccepble and requires our GM to try to find a guy.

I get being cautious. I get wanting to see what we've got. I get "first do no harm..to the long term". But I don't get doing nothing when J. goes down and you're not liking what you're seeing from the guys you were wanting to look at. (Rask excepted)

OK, a bit of a rant. Things will work themselves out, right? It's just one preseason line up. Right?

Talk me down here. :shock:

Talking you down on this one is easy. LaRose doesn't have an NHL contract and is bound for Charlotte. My guess is Peters wants to see how far from game speed he is before sending him down, and since Rosie's official status is "tryout," getting him into an NHL game before sending him down fully satisfies the "tryout." The lineup we'll see Sunday will be our starting squad a week from tonight, and it will have four days of practice after that game to fully gel. 

I have to say, the way Rask has not merely responded to but far exceeded every challenge he has been given warrants him as the #2-line center. Assuming he performs as he has been (and I get that there are no guarantees on that), it makes it much easier for Jordan to  center the first line when he comes back, with Eric and Semin on his wings. 

McGinn, Terry, DiGuiseppe - again, I really don't see the lack of depth others are complaining about - and not at D either, with Biega, Risannen and Jordan on the farm. Not saying we're Chicago re depth by any means, but we are in the enviable position of youngsters putting it all out there and challenging the vets to step up. Going outside the org gives our top line an excuse, and I'm sorry - with that talent, they were out of excuses two years ago AFAIC.

I like the tone Peters has set and his constantly stated dedication to guys EARNING ice time. Absent a hat trick, a KO of Tyler Myers and joining the TV time-out ice-scraping crew with a shovel tonight, Rosie is headed to Charlotte to flash his Stanley Cup ring and to lend a veteran's perspective to a roomful of the 'Canes future.  

Thanks OBXer and Topshelf.

I did forget about the Dwyer thing too.

And seeing Semin in there is the most important thing after he left the ice early.

I'd still like to see Boychuk prove something, don't like him on the top line, but it is great to see Rask arriving.

I guess the Mueller thing has timed out?

On D, I do like that Hainsey-Murphy thing might be working out. At least get the top 4 settled down as I hoped.

On Rosey....just have to see what happens.

Peters said yesterday, or the day before, nothing has been decided on the bottom two pairs on D, and he also said it was frustrating that Murphy hasn't exactly stepped up to the plate and taken one of those spots as of yet.  Paraphrasing of course.

From the practices and games I've seen so far, I would say that's spot on. 

Look, I'm not expert, but I didn't just fall off the turnip truck either.  If this D isn't going to be an issue, something better change quickly.

rem says" Talk me down", and I can't honestly say I could! I'm as befuddled as you. It now is appearing

that Ron Francis' position is following that old movie line "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". To my

Untrained eyes, I certainly accepted that approach for a new coaching staff to assimilate with their charges, until and when there was some mutual grounds of understanding. Jordan's injury radically altered

that plan, resetting this team to another likely "slow start", as if this group needs any excuse for that.

Now, with their backs against the wall, so to speak, we may witness a true rededication of like will from

all, but how insightful might it have been to expend a few more $ from the get go to avoid this frenic

position we seem to find ourselves in, BEFORE SEASON START, just to ice a halfway competitive team. Sure,

Ronnie may be able to stumble into some incredible deal from a team scrambling to get itself under the cap, but how good are those odds?

Just my humble thoughts.

Even with cautious optimism regarding our prospects, we've got a positional problem when it comes to depth.

On the left we've got Tlusty, Skinner, and Gerbe taking a spot. So where do natural LWs Malone, Boychuk, Terry, DiGuiseppi, or  McGinn go (without playing out of position) even if some of them work out?

While on the right, beyond Semin, Lindholm, and Dwyer we've got, unh . . .

I'd wager that the only reason Rosie is playing tonight is that he's a right wing.

Edit: yeah, pretty sure Mueller cleared waivers at noon today. :( To summarize the rational behind my frustration, I think the chances of Mueller contributing to the Canes this year (and maybe even down the road) would have been much greater than the chance of Rosie contributing to the Canes this year.

Edited by LakeLivin