The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

Welcome back.  Oh,and see you in a couple of weeks.  I'll be chasing ducks and geese in the Quill Lakes area.  Then moving down around Old Wives Lake for some partridge.

Thanks,  been following the boards on and off a little all summer, thought now would be a good time to log back in. And good luck out there, should be a good time.

So far, Murphy has been unimpressive.

So far, Gerbe has been impressive.

Completely agree, Gerbe keeps looking better every shift. Fast, dangerous, and creating a lot of chances. Add Lindholm to that list too. Seems he's gotten a lot stronger and more confident. He will keep on getting better the next couple years, and with his hockey sense his upside is huge.

With all due respect to the Nash supporters out there...

Skinner-Rask-Lindholm please...

More offense. At least in this coach's system.  Attack.

On another note, the McClement line will get the other team's best every night.

Quite the change.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Khudobin skated out and gave Cam a nice pat on the back and a gentle head butt.  Here's hoping Ward has to reciprocate in kind next game.

Some real good stuff tonight, I am keeping in mind it was against Buffalo.  Can't wait to see what we do against the Caps!

Edited by LakeLivin

Good to see Lindholm get the trick even if it is preseason and one was an empty-netter.

We needed a confidence booster and we got it.

One more reminder that Sundays game vs. the Caps is supposed to be on the NHL Network at 3:00pm.

OK, I was one of the 10 people there. First soooo great to finally lay actual eyes on some Hurricane Hockey.

Yes, it was pre-season, and yes, Buffalo is rebuilding, but this is the first time that teams are really fielding the vast majority of thier actual teams, and we had a really good night. LaRose was gone before I could get seated.

1. Linholm looked really good. Sure look at the score sheet and duh, but no, he looked good all over the ice.

2. Rask. Less note of him at the end but early, especially the first period he was making things happen. What great timing to emerge now.

3. Gerbe. Yes, I'm with you Gerbephiles. Look for a career year from him. That pass to Skinner was as sick as Skinner's finish of it. But like Linholm lots of nice stuff.

4. Skinner. Oh yes, this will be his All Star year #2.

5. Ward. Khudini will have to play very well in Washington to get the start opening night.

6. Murphy. Had a couple of turnovers. Work in progress. Not giving up on him, but he has not yet arrived.

7. Semin starting to flex his skill. Glad he's not hurt.

8. Staal will get there, but not there yet. Still think the PP is often better without him.

9. Sekera and Faulk solid. Tlusty solid.

10. Faceoffs. All centers above 50%, Nash at 79%.

There's more, but this one gave me some hope. All is not lost. I like our group....better than I did earlier today.

Edited by remkin

OK, I was one of the 10 people there. First soooo great to finally lay actual eyes on some Hurricane Hockey.

Yes, it was pre-season, and yes, Buffalo is rebuilding, but this is the first time that teams are really fielding the vast majority of thier actual teams, and we had a really good night. LaRose was gone before I could get seated.

1. Linholm looked really good. Sure look at the score sheet and duh, but no, he looked good all over the ice.

2. Rask. Less note of him at the end but early, especially the first period he was making things happen. What great timing to emerge now.

3. Gerbe. Yes, I'm with you Gerbefiles. Look for a career year from him. That pass to Skinner was as sick as Skinner's finish of it. But like Linholm lots of nice stuff.

4. Skinner. Oh yes, this will be his All Star year #2.

5. Ward. Khudini will have to play very well in Washington to get the start opening night.

6. Murphy. Had a couple of turnovers. Work in progress. Not giving up on him, but he has not yet arrived.

7. Semin starting to flex his skill. Glad he's not hurt.

8. Staal will get there, but not there yet. Still think the PP is often better without him.

9. Sekera and Faulk solid. Tlusty solid.

10. Faceoffs. All centers above 50%, Nash at 79%.

There's more, but this one gave me some hope. All is not lost. I like our group....better than I did earlier today.

8.  I didn't notice him.  That's an improvemanet

tonight's crowd could have fit into Dorton Arena with room to spare.   Still it was good to be back to hockey

But double what we had for the 9/20 game.

Well thank god something good has happened in this pre season.  Up til now nothing but negative garbage.  I'm really rooting for Ward, I wanna see him dominate this year and shut up all the haters.  I think he can do it if he can just stay healthy.   Skinner, Lindholm, Gerbe, Semin, all looking good tonight.   It would be nice to see E. Staal on the score sheet sunday.

I had high hopes for Murphy for this season.

I'm just not seeing anything to get excited about.  The guy gets bumped off the puck by anybody and everybody.  Maybe he can be a PP QB but I'm having real doubts whether his 5 on 5 play is good enough to give him the chance.

Way too much room in the slot for wide open shots, that needs to be tightened up.  Shades of last year.

Cam looked really sharp and I'm glad.

Edit:  Yes, Boychuk needs to kick it up a notch, and I thought he did last night, but still not much of a factor out there.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If we are on the edge of rebuild mode, I think you play Terry and see what happens from their. If we are in win mode, then you find a puck moving D-man, and remind E. Semin. Tlusty that your best players are expected to be your best players... E. looked slow to us last night....

Edited by PamlicoPuck

OK Boychuk. He was playing in almost a 4th line role again. He was fairly fast, and played hard and defensively responsible. But he is there to be a scorer. I'd still put him on the third line. At this point it's more of a "who's better?" thing. Give him some games and see if he can start finding the net. We're talking about #9 forward, so it's not a huge scoring slot anyway. He will score more than Dwyer did. And hard as it is to write this, there is still the potential for him to find it.

That said, of course, it would be nice if the guy would just put a couple of pucks in the net. I'm thinking he had a really close one last night, ?hit a post?.

Murphy is still young in D men years. He can still break down a defense 5/5 and quarterbacking the PP in the NHL is also a slow skill to pick up. But he is going to need to have a strong growth curve. Many think he makes the team almost by default w/ only Sekera as a legit offensive D man besides Murphy and Peters wanting the D to activate. Defintely one to keep an eye on.

But Gerbe was all over the place into everything in a good way and just looked sharp as a tack. Another one to give JR credit for.

In fact Gerbe makes me think, here's the kind of guy JR would have picked up this offseason and would have been nice for Francis to have found one guy like that for RW.

Edited by remkin

I always wished they would have switched Murphy to a foward wing.  His puck handling skills and skating always sticks out but his defense isn't that great.  Especially since he's smaller than everyone.  E. Staal better come out swinging Sunday, he has a lot to prove this year and if he isn't fired up and working his butt off than its obvious he will never be back to who he was.  I didn't see any of these games so I don't know how he's looking.

n fact Gerbe makes me think, here's the kind of guy JR would have picked up this offseason and would have been nice for Francis to have found one guy like that for RW.

Exactly. Here's hoping that somewhere down the line RF shows he picked up some of that knack from JR.

Edited by LakeLivin