The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

If we are on the edge of rebuild mode, I think you play Terry and see what happens from their. If we are in win mode, then you find a puck moving D-man, and remind E. Semin. Tlusty that your best players are expected to be your best players... E. looked slow to us last night....

I didn't really notice E. last night.  That's an improvement. i think.

It was re iterated last night that E is coming off of a major knee injury and a core muscle injury. He's been in two total games. He did not look bad last night, but he was not total E either. If he gets that explosive first step and gets back to strength he still can be dominating. Too soon to tell I think.

It was also brought up by Forslund or Mike that if he doesn't get to 100% old Staal, he could focus on distributing the puck and playing a better two way game and still lead the team to victory.

OK Boychuk. He was playing in almost a 4th line role again. He was fairly fast, and played hard and defensively responsible. But he is there to be a scorer. I'd still put him on the third line. At this point it's more of a "who's better?" thing. Give him some games and see if he can start finding the net. We're talking about #9 forward, so it's not a huge scoring slot anyway. He will score more than Dwyer did. And hard as it is to write this, there is still the potential for him to find it.

That said, of course, it would be nice if the guy would just put a couple of pucks in the net. I'm thinking he had a really close one last night, ?hit a post?.

Murphy is still young in D men years. He can still break down a defense 5/5 and quarterbacking the PP in the NHL is also a slow skill to pick up. But he is going to need to have a strong growth curve. Many think he makes the team almost by default w/ only Sekera as a legit offensive D man besides Murphy and Peters wanting the D to activate. Defintely one to keep an eye on.

But Gerbe was all over the place into everything in a good way and just looked sharp as a tack. Another one to give JR credit for.

In fact Gerbe makes me think, here's the kind of guy JR would have picked up this offseason and would have been nice for Francis to have found one guy like that for RW.

Murphy is still young and will be fine. Including last night's game he has 5 points in four games and is +2. He definitely needs to do better with the puck in his own end - that pass straight up the gut in the 3rd led to a clean look from 50 feet for them, and I think that's what Peters is not happy with, committed as he is to a puck-possession game.

As for Gerbe, he did look very good, but he always does against his old team. I like him a bunch, think he is one the best stickhandlers in the league, and believe he has St. Louis-type skills and potential. But he needs to bring the same sharpness to his game against all the other logos that he brings against the Bison. Maybe giving him an A would provide that spark.

I hadn't realized this until I read the News & Observer this morning. This will be interesting to follow. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Semin was made an alternate captain for the game and wore an “A” on his jersey, and for a reason, Peters said.  “He's a big part of what we do,” Peters said. “He's got to be a part of that leadership group.”

I hadn't realized this until I read the News & Observer this morning. This will be interesting to follow. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Semin was made an alternate captain for the game and wore an “A” on his jersey, and for a reason, Peters said.  “He's a big part of what we do,” Peters said. “He's got to be a part of that leadership group.”

Yeah, John and Tripp made mention of that early, and he certainly seemed to carry himself differently. He wasted no time talking to the guys in stripes, there was a shot of him discussing an offside call with a linesman late in the game.

Semin clearly needs to be challenged, and I think making him an on-ice voice is a great move.

It was re iterated last night that E is coming off of a major knee injury and a core muscle injury. He's been in two total games. He did not look bad last night, but he was not total E either. If he gets that explosive first step and gets back to strength he still can be dominating. Too soon to tell I think.

It was also brought up by Forslund or Mike that if he doesn't get to 100% old Staal, he could focus on distributing the puck and playing a better two way game and still lead the team to victory.

Meh, sounds like an attempt to give a soft landing to a guy - who is pulling down 9 million this season - if his numbers don't come back. Next stop: "He always has been a slow starter," and then, in January, "He does the little things so well, and they never show up on the scoresheet."

I've had it with giving Eric a pass. There is no other market in this league where the franchise player is making that kind of coin and is not held accountable by fans, the press, and all other truly independent analysts. Bottom line, this team has not made the playoffs under Eric's leadership since 2009.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Meh, sounds like an attempt to give a soft landing to a guy - who is pulling down 9 million this season - if his numbers don't come back. Next stop: "He always has been a slow starter," and then, in January, "He does the little things so well, and they never show up on the scoresheet."

I've had it with giving Eric a pass. There is no other market in this league where the franchise player is making that kind of coin and is not held accountable by fans, the press, and all other truly independent analysts. Bottom line, this team has not made the playoffs under Eric's leadership since 2009.

Two preseason games. And this last one was better than the first.

I'm not ready to give him a pass either, (unless he puts it in the net). But it's a little early even to call him a slow starter (this year, I know he's been such in the past).

I definitely have more hope for him, as I recall his ppg production the season before the knee injury, but if he starts slow the team will almost certainly also start slow. If that happens, I will not give him a pass (unless he passes to Tlusty who scores).

There has to be some line between getting his game back post surgery and "should have shown more by now". Not sure where it is, but pretty sure it's not here.

Two preseason games. And this last one was better than the first.

I'm not ready to give him a pass either, (unless he puts it in the net). But it's a little early even to call him a slow starter (this year, I know he's been such in the past).

I definitely have more hope for him, as I recall his ppg production the season before the knee injury, but if he starts slow the team will almost certainly also start slow. If that happens, I will not give him a pass (unless he passes to Tlusty who scores).

There has to be some line between getting his game back post surgery and "should have shown more by now". Not sure where it is, but pretty sure it's not here.

Oh, I agree completely. I am rooting for Eric to return to form, and didn't mean to suggest the "slow start" talk was imminent, just what comes next if his numbers are not there by mid-November. That said, I don't agree that a slow start for him means one for the team. I think the kids began to take control in the second half of last season and that so far in preseason they are as well. I don't think they're going to wait and see how E comes out of the gate, but that they are going to pull him through it.

I will agree they pulled him through last night. But especially w/ J out, it's going to be tough to win consistently if E struggles.

Hopefully we don't have to find out.

I do think Linholm will step way up this year, and if Rask can keep up his early showing, and Nash was looking pretty good at the end of last year...that even an E. somewhere between lockout E and last year's E could be enough...

On the Semin "A", that is an interesting idea. Making him part of the leadership could be a motivating factor for him.

Edited by remkin

I will agree they pulled him through last night. But especially w/ J out, it's going to be tough to win consistently if E struggles.

Hopefully we don't have to find out.

I do think Linholm will step way up this year, and if Rask can keep up his early showing, and Nash was looking pretty good at the end of last year...that even an E. somewhere between lockout E and last year's E could be enough...

On the Semin "A", that is an interesting idea. Making him part of the leadership could be a motivating factor for him.

Yeah, Alex's game face just looked different last night with his A on that jersey. I'm thinking Gerbs has been around the league enough that an A might help him keep the focus he clearly has whenever he plays the Slugs.

I been thinking about this all day and it still bothers me.

Why didn't Peters put anybody in the penalty box when LaRose got ejected? He added about 30 seconds to an already 5-min kill waiting on a whistle to stop play so he could get someone on the ice.

I figured some fan would pick up on that on the Aftermath but nobody did.

I been thinking about this all day and it still bothers me.

Why didn't Peters put anybody in the penalty box when LaRose got ejected? He added about 30 seconds to an already 5-min kill waiting on a whistle to stop play so he could get someone on the ice.

I figured some fan would pick up on that on the Aftermath but nobody did.

I did notice that too. Have to assume it was a miss.

Preseason? Odd none of the other coaches or players noticed?

Question on the rule would be if they noticed after they failed to do it and play began was it too late? Or did they fail to notice the entire time?

From what Chuck K. said during the game, the reason for not having a player in the box during the PK is that it would further limit the players available to play on the PK. In a 5 minute kill, there are usually several stoppages in play, which would have afforded the team the opportunity to put a player in the box. In this case, there was only one stoppage of play during the kill, and it was fairly early on. It was really the lack of stoppages that was unusual, not that a player wouldn't be in the box early on in a five minute PK. For reference, he mentioned that there were six stoppages in the five minutes after the kill.

It looks like Peters wants another look at LaRose in todays game. Terry and Liles also in according Michael Smith but not sure about Bellemore. Dobby in net.

Disapointed that Brown didnt get a chance to show something today, and   rosey gets a chance to show something.. i know ,he is probaly going to Charlotte anyway...

I think they are making an allowance for Rosie's "unbridled enthusiasm" (to use the Seinfeld vernacular) in Friday's game. It's hard to say you've given a guy an NHL tryout if he's been on the ice in a game situation for a total of 30 seconds, and today is the last opportunity to him some ice time.

I'm fine with Brown getting re-assigned, and expect the same announcement on Rosie tomorrow before noon, if not following today's game.Terry has an inside track on the last forward position, IMO, and it's his to grab today.

If Bellemore's not in, that makes me very happy indeed. Guy's got no business playing at this level, and the sooner he's re-assigned the better. He's tailor-made for the KHL.

Edited by top-shelf-1

The Bellemore status was according to what was published. I wouldn't read too much into it if he plays. It would just mean that Peters wants another look.

I'm not counting LaRose out yet, Peters seems to like him. Thats not an endorsement just an observation. I think it is as likely Terry goes down.  I think we will Likely see Terry or Boychuk stick but not both. That's just a hunch.

Peters has to make at least one more cut this week. If LaRose does earn a contract we would need to make two cuts to get to 23 before the season. Of course we aren't sure we are going to carry 23 players.

On another note, I wonder if we are going to see Justin Peters in goal for the Caps. I couldn't find a lineup.

So here's a LaRose question. He's on an AHL contract.

Peters basically said LaRose = Dwyer. So Dwyer being out is the perfect openingo for LaRose. But if LaRose makes the team and Dwyer comes back, what is involved w/ putting LaRose back down. Won't he have to sign an NHL contract to play, and thus need to clear waivers?

I think LaRose needs more tryout than one game. But I have said it before, coaches dig this guy. I'd send him down for sure, but then I'm not the coach.

So here's a LaRose question. He's on an AHL contract.

Peters basically said LaRose = Dwyer. So Dwyer being out is the perfect openingo for LaRose. But if LaRose makes the team and Dwyer comes back, what is involved w/ putting LaRose back down. Won't he have to sign an NHL contract to play, and thus need to clear waivers?

I think LaRose needs more tryout than one game. But I have said it before, coaches dig this guy. I'd send him down for sure, but then I'm not the coach.

Yes, he cannot play if not under contract, and every NHL deal must state whether it is two-way.

But letting him leapfrog over guys like Terry and Boychuk who have been riding a bus all over the eastern half of the country for years to earn a shot runs completely counter to Peters' statements about every man earning his ice time.

There are three guys in 45 years of watching hockey that I'd put on an NHL roster after being away from the game for over a year, without at least a couple of months at game speed in the AHL: Gretzky, Gordie Howe and Toews. I like Chad a bunch; he leaves it all out there every night. But he needs to earn his way back, and absolving him of that requirement sends the wrong message.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Yes, he cannot play if not under contract, and every NHL deal must state whether it is two-way.

But letting him leapfrog over guys like Terry and Boychuk who have been riding a bus all over the eastern half of the country for years to earn a shot runs completely counter to Peters' statements about every man earning his ice time.

I like Chad a bunch; he leaves it all out there every night. But he needs to earn his way back, and absolving him of that requirement sends the wrong message.

I completely agree with you. 4th line mucker early in the season is not so important either.

I was saying that one game, no matter how good he looks is one game.

A. It is not enough to evaluate if by some miracle Chad is the clear best option.

B. What you said. Needs to earn it.

That said, I've seen coaches overslot him and play him ahead of prospects before...

Still, I think Peters and Francis do the right thing and send him down. Let him show it for a while in the AHL.

But unfortunately we're back to the position thing.  Peters said he wants to give the young'uns an opportunity in a spot where they have a good chance of success (I'm paraphrasing).  With Tlusty, Skinner, and Gerbe occupying the LW on the top 3 lines, we're talking about 1 4th line LW spot or a RW spot for left shot LWs Boychuk, Terry, Malone, etc.  I'm not saying that justifies a spot for LaRose, just pointing out the logistical bind mgmt left Peters in by not giving him some options at the RW.  

Edited by LakeLivin