The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

Me either.

Completely outplayed and out shot at both ends of the ice.

The defense is an absolute dumpster fire.

Goaltending is horrendous.

And as usual, no response from anybody sticking up for a teammate.

This isn't a meaningless game. 

So, we're picking up where we left off in April.

Karmanos was right in that we'll have to be patient, since we have no choice.  I'm not expecting a miracle, but expect a rough start until some improvement happens.

While I haven't watched much of the pre-season I've followed along, and now seeing it all in High Definition looks the same to me.  Very little puck possession,  When you take the team off paper and play a real opponent it looks very different than all those ifs tossed about.

Really this is a useless game IMO. Peters already knows who he is going to keep. A win means nothing and an injury means everything.

Niskanen should be tossed. The NHL has done great stuff on head shots in the regular season, but if they're not doing it in preseason and playoffs too, it's like any other road to H-E-double hockey sticks: Paved with good intentions. Here's hoping the play is reviewed and they give him a game or two. 

It'll be interesting to see if Peters gives Khudo a break in the third. He's clearly struggling to contain rebounds, and more goals at this point can't be good for his psyche heading into the regular season.

Edited by top-shelf-1

It isn't meaningless because we are playing it. My point is it should have never been scheduled.  But you can't take it back, it was scheduled.

Now we have to regroup. The only good take away from this game will be if we can put some semblance of a team game together for the third.

Yeah, I'd like to see Peters send the team out to win the third as if it's a game of it's own.  Let's see what kind of motivator he is.

Edited by LakeLivin

The Canes should have come into this game with some "fire in their bellies” knowing most everyone has picked them last in the Metro and want to prove them wrong.   In this game, we have very suspect goal-tending, abysmal five-on-five play, and the usual power-less power play.  This leaves much to be corrected until Friday

Anyway..I'm surprised how tentative Murphy looks. He is moving the puck well but seems hesitant to carry the puck across the blue line and very reluctant to shoot. Anybody else seeing that?

The Canes should have come into this game with some "fire in their bellies” knowing most everyone has picked them last in the Metro and want to prove them wrong.   In this game, we have very suspect goal-tending, abysmal five-on-five play, and the usual power-less power play.  This leaves much to be corrected until Friday

I can understand you seeing it that way, but what happened here is their top player got leveled :12 into his first shift and wobbled off the ice. Then they saw him in the locker room during the first break and probably know the news is not good. 

I agree with Lake: playing to win the third is the best we can hope for.

Edited by top-shelf-1

knowing that Skinner got taken out by a questionable elbow should have given the Canes motivation to play with a mission.  let's see how the finish this game

I am so phenomenally and throughly sick of Skinner getting hit in the head. This is one of the NHL's premier showman and he gets concussed in preseason. So much for protecting players.

This is what I am feeling:  :puker:  :hurl: .

I really hope he's ok, but this is just insane.

Ward will start Friday also.

I've seen very little, but nothing matters if Skinner is out.

Oh great, Lindholm is not on the bench.

Edited by remkin

I am so phenomenally and throughly sick of Skinner getting hit in the head. This is one of the NHL's premier showman and he gets concussed in preseason. 

This is what I am feeling:  :puker:  :hurl: .

I really hope he's ok, but this is just insane.

Ward will start Friday also.

I've seen very little, but nothing matters if Skinner is out.

Yeah, I'm eager to see that play at full speed. It's obvious how jarring a hit it was even in slo-mo, and that Skins was at least semi-unconscious before he hit the ice. And half-speed tends to make hits look LESS brutal.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Searching for positives:

• We won the 3rd period 1-0.
  • PP conversion 22%
  • Unh, those announcers weren't too bad?
Edited by LakeLivin

Ok, why didnt any one   go after  Niskanen.... I dont GET IT!    why bother taking  the  the trip today.. and   Ov  laughing...I cant see how we dont finish dead last, and as Mike says, if skinner and Lindy are out, where is the scoring... Peters coming up on the aftermath.... i feel sick..

ok, keeping the fingers and   toes crossed...   E. staal... HELLO.. HELLO....  OH, You have the phone and your play on hold... gotcha..

Lets hope he feels fine tomorrow

I'll second that. Unfortunately, it is often getting out of bed the next day when the full concussive effects manifest, from what I've seen, read, and (unfortunately) experienced firsthand. And with Skinner we're now into RHI territory.

if Skinner is concussed, is there a protocal from the NHL for how many games he must sit?  even moreso considering he has a history of concussions.

I really didn't think it was that hard a hit, but it seems like once you start getting concussions, it does not take much to get the next one. I am afraid Skinner is not going to have a long career. The poor kid is only 25, he really needs to consider his future health. Based on what has happened to athletes with histories of head injuries, he needs to think long and hard if he wants to keep putting himself in harms way. I hope this is nothing, but I would hate to see him permanently damaged.