The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

Searching for positives:

• We won the 3rd period 1-0.
  • PP conversion 22%
  • Unh, those announcers weren't too bad?

An honest assessment from Coach Peters after the game.  He can be a difference maker, but it will take time.  I know that is not what we all want to hear, but we'll have to come to grips with it.

Edited by Manwolf

I really didn't think it was that hard a hit, but it seems like once you start getting concussions, it does not take much to get the next one. I am afraid Skinner is not going to have a long career. The poor kid is only 25, he really needs to consider his future health. Based on what has happened to athletes with histories of head injuries, he needs to think long and hard if he wants to keep putting himself in harms way. I hope this is nothing, but I would hate to see him permanently damaged.

That was my reaction at first too, but watch the whole clip at full speed (before the slo-mo). Isolate on Niskanen. He clearly lines up Skinner's head with his glove and throws his elbow, complete with follow-thru. You can't see this in the tight slo-mo shots.

And painful as it is for the organization, I completely agree: Skinner's own safety is the big question now. I'd rather we finish dead last than see this kid with scrambled brains for the rest of his life. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Watching that Skinner tape.

That was a concusion. By definition.

First, although the hit didn't seem that hard, watch his head snap back. Then watch how thouroughly dazed he is. He can't pick up his stick. He looks befuddled.

The only question is how bad. The Canes have historically always underplayed these at first.

I'd bet not opening night or the next one. I'm hoping for Buffalo.

Every time he is about ready to open a clinic on improved play....bang.

If Skinner and Lindholm are out? Anyone want some tickets?

Edited by remkin

Watching that Skinner tape.

That was a concusion. By definition.

First, although the hit didn't seem that hard, watch his head snap back. Then watch how thouroughly dazed he is. He can't pick up his stick. He looks befuddled.

The only question is how bad. The Canes have historically always underplayed these at first.

I'd bet not opening night or the next one. I'm hoping for Buffalo.

Every time he is about ready to open a clinic on improved play....bang.

If Skinner and Lindholm are out? Anyone want some tickets?

Yup, yup and yup. A suspension to Niskanen does nothing to help Skinner now but, by God, the flagrancy of the hit (be sure to watch full screen at full speed) is beyond question. It literally looks like a punch thrown with an elbow.

I almost hate to bring this up, but do we need an enforcer? No retaliation for Skinner, Orpik just missing a huge hit on Semin late in a blow out, and generally being pushed around at will. I am not a big proponet for fighting, but enough is enough. This was a preseason game, and they thought nothing about trying to take out some of our top players. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I sure am getting tired of watching the Canes get pushed around.

This is a TEAM... One of your players gets  hit illegally, i dont care if its  gerbe, someone at some point, should have gotten him back, its not  rocket science.

Well now- that was interesting to watch- I had to make sure it was the "live game" and that I hadn't hit "play" on the DVR from last season.

Just when I was enjoying "fantasy island" where we become a power house under Ronnie and Peters-

Where Wardo and Dobby stop everything that comes their way-

Where the Staal brothers are a 1-2 punch-

Where Skinner and Lindy are the 3-4 punch-

Where our defense hound and pester and block and hit everything not in a canes sweater-

Where our puck possession happens on the ice not in the box they were shipped in-

What a mess the preseason has been for the Canes-

Jordan out indiffinatly

Skinner out -both physically and figuratively

Lindy out - hopefully not a broken foot

Only 1 win- at least it was at home

Thank god my 14 game season tickets are paid for- now that I've been snapped back to reality I guess I'll just sit back and watch the show- since in my wildest dreams I never imagined the events of the preseason- I'm sure im going to be amazed with "what happens next"

See everyone opening night- yep making the 4 hour round trip- why you ask? I guess I've watched "Miracle" to many times lol...

And hey- the "curse" can't last forever right...LETS GO CANES

Skinner is an excellent player and a fine young adult.  The question that needs to be asked is how long can he stay in the NHL comsidering he is prone to concussions?  He is only 25 years olld.  His "life after hockey" must be brought into consideration at some point in his career.

Niskanen should be tossed. The NHL has done great stuff on head shots in the regular season, but if they're not doing it in preseason and playoffs too, it's like any other road to H-E-double hockey sticks: Paved with good intentions. Here's hoping the play is reviewed and they give him a game or two.

I didn't see the game or this hit, but also can't understand why Niskanen wasn't tossed or penalized for this hit. During the regular season, if there's ever any question, they review the video right then and there - is that not done in preseason games? (Because it's pretty clear in the video what happened.)

Also, and I apologize for my ignorance, but I seem to remember that during the regular season when a call is not made that should have been, doesn't the coach have the option to file some sort of grievance/complaint to the NHL (or whoever)??

I really didn't think it was that hard a hit, but it seems like once you start getting concussions, it does not take much to get the next one. I am afraid Skinner is not going to have a long career. The poor kid is only 25, he really needs to consider his future health. Based on what has happened to athletes with histories of head injuries, he needs to think long and hard if he wants to keep putting himself in harms way. I hope this is nothing, but I would hate to see him permanently damaged.

And a bunch of folks here wanted Mueller.    Great plan.  Let's collect concussed players.

After watching the hit on Skinner, I think the refs missed it. Remember, they are going through pre-season just like the rest of the league.

That being said, player safety will probably take a long look at this and Niskanen getting a call. Hopefully, Skinner will be fine. His health for the long term is the most important thing here. Former Cane Keith Primeau is dealing with his own issues with concussions still today and he's been retired since 2006.

Well, after seeing this I am depressed.  The canes were:

1.  too slow

2.  too small

3.  no physicality whatsoever (see #2)

4.  Captain taking stupid penalties

5.  Appeared our guys were just trying to get rid of the puck to avoid getting hit on more than one occasion (see #2)

If tonight is any indication of what we have to look forward to, it is going to be one long damn year.

Edited by allboys

Skinner is an excellent player and a fine young adult.  The question that needs to be asked is how long can he stay in the NHL comsidering he is prone to concussions?  He is only 25 years olld.  His "life after hockey" must be brought into consideration at some point in his career.

I hope Skinner can survive in the NHL until he is 25 years old. He's currently only 22yrs old (born in 1992).

First and foremost, I hope Skinner is okay. Watching him reach down for his stick and whiff on it makes me think he is going to be out for a while. If this is a concussion, and he sure looked wobbly so I'm guessingit is, how many is that for Jeff? Three? Four?

As for Niskanen, it takes brass b*@#! to make such a cheap shot, then claim you did not try to hit the

guy. If you watch him, he lined it up and got a good follow through. Any discipline he gets is not enough. So I have a proposal for Bettman if he really wants to stop the cheap head shots. When someone like Niskanen cheap shots another player in the head, let the aggrieved team pick the player from the "guilty" team to serve the penalty. So we pick Ovechkin. And make him sit out the same number of games the injured player sits out with his injury. So if Jeff misses a month, Ovechkin misses a month.

This hit was intentional, completely avoidable, and even if Niskanen gets a 2 or 3 game suspension, that does not help the Canes one bit. More importantly, it does nothing to prevent Jeff Skinner as a hockey player or as a human being for the rest of his life.

could this pre season  be any worse or more cursed?  I knew once Jordan went down we were in trouble.   I'm usually one of the more positive ones on here but there is just nothing left to be positive for right now, except that Cam played a  good game friday..  sigh. Skinner possible concussion, Lindholm hurt, E. Staal looking slow,   whats left to have hope for?

There is no doubt the hit on Skins was deliberate. What bothers me most is why no Canes player seemed concerned about it? Ive said before and still believe there is an internal team cancer,,, (these guys dont like playing for each other) Teams have been pushing us around for way too long... isnt it time to end the wooos on ice show....

There is no doubt the hit on Skins was deliberate. What bothers me most is why no Canes player seemed concerned about it? Ive said before and still believe there is an internal team cancer,,, (these guys dont like playing for each other) Teams have been pushing us around for way too long... isnt it time to end the wooos on ice show....

I feel ya, PamlicoPuck. Present hockey culture dictates retribution. That being said, it also feeds the much bigger issue here, one which is not going away: Violence in the game.

This was not a hockey play, this was flat-out premeditated violence. I've played the game for most of my life, and in my high school days I played a physical game that included dropping the gloves a LOT. But with that mea culpa in place, the simple fact is that bumping and grinding in the corners is one thing, but there should be no place - or tolerance - in the game for cowardly acts like this, or even for the neutral-zone, open-ice hits justified with "his head was down." (And just to avoid any confusion, let me be very clear, Skinner's head WAS NOT down on this play, he was turning toward the net with the puck on his stick and Niskanen blatantly, purposely blindsided him.) Unless and until the NHL is willing to make and enforce rules specifically addressing these types of hits, they are not going to stop.

Inaction on this issue will eventually lead to this league ceasing to exist as a result of the future lawsuits it will surely face AND LOSE for failing to step up now.

Don't get me wrong, I think hockey has done a decent job up to this point. No other sport provides looped, frame-by-frame replays of violent acts and breaks them down publicly as part of its disciplinary process. But the fact is that NONE of the physicality is necessary, even at the NHL level. What makes a successful offense fun to watch is speed, precision, and skill, so it follows that the same attributes on the defensive side of the puck would make the game even more exciting: D-men getting to the right place at the right time to prevent a pass, block a shot, anticipate an opposition breakout in the neutral zone, etc.

What Niskanen did yesterday had nothing to do with skill (since this isn't karate). It was repulsive. Watching Skins spiral down unconscious and fall in a heap was sickening. Nothing like that should happen as a result of player-on-player contact in ANYTHING calling itself a "game." The NHL will be in the same boat as football if it doesn't soon address its violence problem in a systemic way that includes a zero-tolerance policy for blatant violence without regard for whether the offense is a player's first or his fifth. If I ran the Department of Player Safety, NIskanen would not be playing again until Jan. 1 - unless this hit ends Skinner's career, in which case it would also end Niskanen's, at least on this continent. If Skinner is able to play again, Niskanen's next purposeful hit to anyone's head would end his - Niskanen's - career. Simple. Done. Next. 

Institute and enforce a policy like this and hits to the head will end toot freakin' sweet.

Edited by top-shelf-1

It was definitely a blindside hit to the head. With no penalty being called, I can understand E.Staal's retaliation in the corner (and I am not a Staal fan.). It will be interesting to see if any action is taken on Niskanen. If not, or even if there is, he probably will have a target on his back.

On an different note, we do not have any size this season. I feel for coach Peter's but being his first season, he will not be blamed by me, nor will Francis. JR left us in a bad way so we have to retool the team, which will take time. So, I will sit back and do my best not to put anyone down...for now.

Here's to a speedy recovery for all our hurt players!!! 

Stuff heard on the various radio stations this morning, FWIW:

Chuck K. on 620: "I expect Cam Ward to start Friday."

Pierre McGuire on XM: "Carolina is in a tough position this season if Faulk and Sekera are #1&2 on the blue line depth chart (with all due respect to Faulk and Sekera [blah, blah])"

Edited by wxray1

could this pre season  be any worse or more cursed?  I knew once Jordan went down we were in trouble.   I'm usually one of the more positive ones on here but there is just nothing left to be positive for right now, except that Cam played a  good game friday..  sigh. Skinner possible concussion, Lindholm hurt, E. Staal looking slow,   whats left to have hope for?

I'm wondering what we ever did to the Hockey Gods to deserve this, and what we need to sacrifice to lift this curse.  

Of all of our problems, Faulk/Sekera is not one of them. Sometimes McGuire kills me. Look at this team. Look at what our issues are. That's what you come up with? Ha.

Points out to me how clueless much of the national media is about us. Too focused on the powerhouses and teams north of the boarder to really have a clue about us. All the more frustrating that we don't get to put our best out there to start....show'em.

Edited by remkin