The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

Yes and no. Some guys make every jump to every level - except that last one. Boychuk can still be an important depth guy for us, but unless he proves to be a very late bloomer, he just isn't top-six material in this league.

I really don't feel Boychuk is bottom six material either. He's played there before and never really found his niche. He truly may be an AHL lifer.

The team looked flat yesterday and it left me feeling as pessimistic as ever.  Let's hope for better once the lights come up on Friday night.

I guess my biggest concern these days is the chatter that's out there that the team isn't selling enough tickets combined with Karmonos's stated price tag for the team.  Consider this:  the team isn't worth that kind of money in Raleigh.  It is absolutely worth that kind of money in Hamilton or another Toronto area suburb.  Who's to say that Karmonos wouldn't get the king's ransom he seeks by selling the team to ownership that would move the team out?

So it's a hard call as to whether to put hard-earned money into tickets to watch this team provide the same mediocre performance to which we have become accustomed.  But if butts aren't in the seats this year, I'll begin to fear the worst.

I guess the fact that they sent them two down means that Skinner looking ok for friday night.

I think we're about to pick someone up due to not havign an extra forward on the rosters.  This smells of a waiver wire pick up for us.

Interesting points. :letssee:

The team looked flat yesterday and it left me feeling as pessimistic as ever.  Let's hope for better once the lights come up on Friday night.

I guess my biggest concern these days is the chatter that's out there that the team isn't selling enough tickets combined with Karmonos's stated price tag for the team.  Consider this:  the team isn't worth that kind of money in Raleigh.  It is absolutely worth that kind of money in Hamilton or another Toronto area suburb.  Who's to say that Karmonos wouldn't get the king's ransom he seeks by selling the team to ownership that would move the team out?

So it's a hard call as to whether to put hard-earned money into tickets to watch this team provide the same mediocre performance to which we have become accustomed.  But if butts aren't in the seats this year, I'll begin to fear the worst.

Last time he just up and moved the team from Hartford so I would not put anything past him.

Last time he just up and moved the team from Hartford so I would not put anything past him.

Wasn't a big part of that his inability to negotiate a new arena deal with Hartford? Not only does he have a great facility here, his company is managing it, aren't they?

Karmanos said he feels he has the best arena deal. He also said he's not losing millions a year like other teams suggest.

I do feel our immediate future here is safe. Our arena deal last another 10yrs I believe. We should just focus now on being better on the ice.

The team looked bad and flat in that last meaningless preseason game. But the team look really good in the last meaningless home preseason game. I'm less worried about looking flat that the injuries.

Anyone heard anything about Skinner or Linholm?

Guys....  I am now in full panic mode.  Everything has already gone wrong.  Prepare yourselves for a very long season.

I hate to agree with you, but I have a feeling that this season may make last season look good. I sure hope I'm wrong.

The curse of 2014 gets worse.   I just don't know man, I guess Semin or E. Staal are due to go down next.  Looks like we don't have anything close to a top 6 for the first few months.

And Skinner, this is not good, will he ever be able to play confidently  again knowing that his brain is in danger of permanent damage? 

You never like to talk about career ending injuries, but at what point does the organization let Skinner take the ice again given his history?  Just terrible news.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Wasnt what we were hoping for with Skins.. And certainly the conversation of hanging up the skates is close, if not now...  When you look at whos left standing, their really isnt anyone to rebuild this team around.... 

Edited by PamlicoPuck

What say you, Caniacs? If Ron still stubbornly refuses to attempt some type of bolstering move, rather than just bring up someone from "the ranks", I'm just not sure what the "plan" is for this year? this just sucks!!

Also, where is the disciplinary guru with this hit? Do they just write it off as "Jeff just turning into the elbow"? What an absolute sham this supposed policing arm has become?

Edited by KJUNKANE

You never like to talk about career ending injuries, but at what point does the organization let Skinner take the ice again given his history?  Just terrible news.

do not look forward to the prospect of having the guy being forced to hang up the skates after such a short career but his long term health is more important.  do not want him to be like Junior Seau (sp?)

This doesn't make anything better, but Skinner's concussion really isn't news.  All you had to do was look at him trying to pick up his stick & skate off to know he was concussed.  Question is, how bad is it?  I'm holding out hope that it's not one of those multi-week headache/ dizziness/ blurred vision type injuries.  I'm going to wait for further news before writing off the season or questioning whether Skins should hang up his skates. 

Couple of thoughts on "retaliation".  With the rules the way they are, seems like you almost have to be on the ice, in close proximity to the offender, and react immediately to retaliate without ending up unduly penalizing your team.  I'm not sure who was out there on D when Skinner was hit but I'm presuming it was Rask and Lindholm on the offensive end. I don't expect either of those kids to retaliate (and I don't want Lindholm to put himself at risk).   Staal launched himself to throw an elbow at Carlson's head later in the 1st period.  Ok, it would have been nice if it had been Niskanen, but who knows if he would have gotten that opportunity without risking additional sanctions from the league?  Shouldn't we at least recognize and credit E for his attempt at retribution towards the Caps?       

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm really surprised that Boychuck wasn't recalled in the same announcement. We don't evan have enough forwards for a complete practise. Maybe we really are going after somebody?

So who gets those 2nd line LW minutes...Gerbe?

I don't want to sound too negative, but minus Jordan and Jeff, I am having trouble putting together lines that even remotely resemble an NHL team. It is going to be a tough start for the top line as they are going to see the best 5 defensive players every minute of every game. If you stop them, we will have a hard time putting up any points.

Edited by cclifford10

You are absolutely right Lake. What infuriates me though is the fact that, as Sittler put it on Canes Country, Skinner has a very unorthodox way of skating, and that, together with the fact that he goes into dangerous territory makes this outcome almost predictable! Why hasn't someone in the chain of command recognized this and done something to protect him? No, we continue to wallow helter skelter into "smallness" as an overall team profile. I admit, I was not and could not watch the game, but why do these players not react IMMEDIATELY? Sure, we don't want Lindholm putting himself in harm's way, but certainly there must have one player there who could have jumped in?

I'm sorry, but Niskanen can't be serious with this quote: 

"The puck popped out to him and he had his back to the net. I was closing on him and was getting ready to defend him, and he did like a spin-around shot and he spun his face right into my elbow," Niskanen said Sunday. "I could feel it. ... I didn't even have time to hit him, he just spun right into me. I hope he's OK."

Usually, no news is good news.  I say that tongue in cheek, since good news is kind of hard to come by these days.

At a minimum, it left a mark.  Chuck K said that he was still limping when he got on the bus after the game.  So, even if there's no fracture, there is sure to be some lasting hurt.

My reaction, a few pages back post 454. I'm too depressed to write it again.

The only thing now is the old "us vs the world"! 

Even though I knew it was a concussion, something about seeing it in writing....

Just  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: .

Edited by remkin