The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

. . . but why do these players not react IMMEDIATELY? Sure, we don't want Lindholm putting himself in harm's way, but certainly there must have one player there who could have jumped in?

What makes it difficult to gauge in my mind is that it's hard to tell who on the ice (if anyone) even recognized what happened right away.  It wasn't like when Kudo got run over last year and Hainsey jumped on the guy.  Everyone on the ice could see what had happened there.  The Skinner hit happened in close quarters, with the play taking off in the other direction right after. To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Canes on the ice didn't even know what had actually happened until Skinner went all rubber legs when he tried to get back up.  The whole thing is really frustrating but I'm trying to at least consider what the guys on the ice may have experienced.

Edited by LakeLivin

So if bad things happen in 3's, let's hope that after Jordan and Jeff that Chantel's little indiscretion counts as # 3!!  

Ok, something interesting that isn't devastating (or ois it?).  Do tell more!!

Lakelivin wrote:

What makes it difficult to gauge in my mind is that it's hard to tell who on the ice (if anyone) even recognized what happened right away.  It wasn't like when Kudo got run over last year and Hainsey jumped on the guy.  Everyone on the ice could see what had happened there.  The Skinner hit happened in close quarters, with the play taking off in the other direction right after. To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the Canes on the ice didn't even know what had actually happened until Skinner went all rubber legs when he tried to get back up.  The whole thing is really frustrating but I'm trying to at least consider what the guys on the ice may have experienced.

I think that is a fair point Lake. It was tight in and not one of those open ice superblasters. If you don't carefully watch Skinner's head on the reply it doesn't even look that bad. I agree that I really doubt the players realized what had happened.

On Chantel, Coastal broke that news on here

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22406-2014-training-camp-and-exibition-games/page-32

Yes it does seem to be running bad at the moment for this organEYEzation.

Edited by remkin

Yes, I broke the news but the link I posted contained some things which probably wasn't in the best interest of Chantel. After thinking about it, I deleted that media link until it broke from a more appropriate source.  Here is the update from the N&O.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/10/06/4212307/canes-sideline-reporter-charged.html

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm not sure anyone on the ice actually saw what happened to Skinner at the time. The refs sure didn't. Everyone on the ice saw the result. I will echo Lake's comments and credit E with stepping up. I thought E was one of the few Canes that was actually hitting and making the Caps at least a little accountable for their play, ie: Carlson hit.

At first I wasn't sure Niskanen was trying to injure but after watching the play slow and actual speed I'm convinced he was targeting Skinners head. His after the game comment just makes me believe it even more. What a joke.  When Orpik lined up Semin later in the game and Sasha just avoided what would of probable been another devastating hit I was convinced the Caps were running us whenever they got the chance.

Until we change the attitude around the league that we are soft and don't play payback hockey I expect this will continue to happen. I hate goon hockey but enough is enough.

Skinner needs to leave the game now for his own good. Y'all know how big a fan I am, so it really pains me to say that. But facts are facts: This is that "one more shot like that, and..." we've all been fearing. Downplaying it is not going to make this pandemic go away, but maybe the end of a 22-year-old's limitless career can.

In the "old days" before helmets, players NEVER got anywhere near the head out of just gentlemanly conduct. Given all we now know about concussion and traumatic brain injury, they should not now, either. Helmets protect players from errant pucks, sticks, etc. They have no effect on how the brain moves and is damaged against the inside of the skull. Any hockey player who does not know this should, and every hockey player who does yet headhunts anyway should expect no more than two strikes, with returning after the first strike being subject to a mandatory vote by every player in the league, majority rules. 

In this particular case, if the NHL Player Safety Department does not look at at and assess a very heavy suspension, no matter how they rationalize that, I can only conclude they are not serious about hits to the head. This was as blatant as it gets, and I don't care that Niskanen has no priors. A criminal is a criminal, and the drumbeat from the league on head shots has been crystal clear for three solid years now - more than clear enough to reasonably expect that anything less than 20 games for taking out ANY player - elite or otherwise - with a hit to the head is chickensh*t. Give him 20, or better yet, half the season. Niskanen will still get to come back with the one thing Skinner, thanks to him, no longer has: The rest of his career still ahead of him.

Edited by top-shelf-1

So Skinner, a scorer, goes out and we call up Brown, a "character" guy.  That really signals the end of the line for Boychuck.

Well Skinner is a left wing and Terry is a left wing

Dwyer and Lindholm are right wings and Brown is a right wing. Even if they are both ok we still need to practice and if one isn't you have a right wing to replace him. I suspect it might point to us not being sure if Dwyer will be ready for the opener. Boychuk would be more a replacement for Lindy, I suspect.

Not sure this is the reasoning but might be.

Good for Brown.

He's hung around camp under the radar to fans and worked to be the first call from Peters staff.

I like his story, maybe Wiki the guy, if you haven't already.

I only saw him in that one game. I liked what I saw. 

Top Shelf, like you and I suppose everyone else reading this, I am just sick and tired of the contradictory stance that Player Safety takes in situations like Skinner's. Like some many of our obviously "sight challenged refs", penalties for the frequently maligned "head shots" seem to be decided at someone's whim despite this comical airing of reasons for this and that which they have apparently resorted to in order to lend credibility to this farcical joke of protecting these players.

In my opinion, if the penalties meted out to players do not seem to get their attention, I suggest that a team's coach should be the target of the penalty, fine or suspension. By damn, that would get someone's attention quickly!!! With their a** on the line, I'd bet they would put a stop to these chicken crap shenanigans.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Top Shelf, like you and I suppose everyone else reading this, I am just sick and tired of the contradictory stance that Player Safety takes in situations like Skinner's. Like some many of our obviously "sight challenged refs", penalties for the frequently maligned "head shots" seem to be decided at someone's whim despite this comical airing of reasons for this and that which they have apparently resorted to in order to lend credibility to this farcical joke of protecting these players.

In my opinion, if the penalties meted out to players do not seem to get their attention, I suggest that a team's coach should be the target of the penalty, fine or suspension. By damn, that would get someone's attention quickly!!!

It does seem that certain teams and players get more consideration for discipline than others.   Not even a peep about this event from the office?  Thanks.

They have finally added the coach to the penalty equation this year for diving.  I think on the 4th incident from a player, the coach also gets fined.  Adding something similar for player discipline issues I think would help slow the problem a lot.  Not a bad suggestion, Kjun.

in regards to McCabe, her career with the Canes is over.  At least she didn't take herself out as did Chiason or hurt some innocent people

Well Skinner is a left wing and Terry is a left wing

Dwyer and Lindholm are right wings and Brown is a right wing. Even if they are both ok we still need to practice and if one isn't you have a right wing to replace him. I suspect it might point to us not being sure if Dwyer will be ready for the opener. Boychuk would be more a replacement for Lindy, I suspect.

Not sure this is the reasoning but might be.

Terry wins shootouts.  He's decent on the PP.

His ticket to the game, under the circumstances, if anyone asked me.  I've watched the guy in practice and he really does bring that.

Also, high five to Boychuk going the other way.

I'm really surprised that Boychuck wasn't recalled in the same announcement. We don't evan have enough forwards for a complete practise. Maybe we really are going after somebody?

Boychuk is still on waivers. I suspect he can't be recalled until he has cleared, since another team could claim him. (Well, technically, they wouldn't need to recall him, just opt not to assign him to Charlotte, if he clears. But until the waiver period is up, he is in limbo.)

Boychuk is still on waivers. I suspect he can't be recalled until he has cleared, since another team could claim him. (Well, technically, they wouldn't need to recall him, just opt not to assign him to Charlotte, if he clears. But until the waiver period is up, he is in limbo.)

That is a good point. Boychuk is also in reality a left wing although he can skate right wing.  We are really thin at right wing.

I can't imagine anybody would claim anyone that can't make this team right now!!!!

I can't imagine anybody would claim anyone that can't make this team right now!!!!

I dare ANYONE to make an argument in opposition of this statement!  That folks.......is just the sad, despicable truth. 

in regards to McCabe, her career with the Canes is over.  At least she didn't take herself out as did Chiason or hurt some innocent people

You sure about that?  Over a misdemeanor?  That cop sits right at Carolina Country Club drive way and picks them off all weekend handing out DUI's left and right, What a trap, lower speed limit to 35 for a 200yd stretch coming out of downtown, shooting fish in a barrel. .  Anyway, back to hockey talk.