The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

I actually expect positive things from Terry also - not BIG things, necessarily, but good things. And he's not afraid to mix it up, which lord knows this team needs. He impressed the heck out of me late season last year, he was clearly another of the youth that Muller managed to reach.

Is there a chance Boychuck will be recalled before Friday? Sometimes it seems they send players down for a day or two just for technical contractual purposes, Kinda like they did Brown.

Top Shelf, like you and I suppose everyone else reading this, I am just sick and tired of the contradictory stance that Player Safety takes in situations like Skinner's. Like some many of our obviously "sight challenged refs", penalties for the frequently maligned "head shots" seem to be decided at someone's whim despite this comical airing of reasons for this and that which they have apparently resorted to in order to lend credibility to this farcical joke of protecting these players.

In my opinion, if the penalties meted out to players do not seem to get their attention, I suggest that a team's coach should be the target of the penalty, fine or suspension. By damn, that would get someone's attention quickly!!! With their a** on the line, I'd bet they would put a stop to these chicken crap shenanigans.

I'm not so sure. Certain players just play with an "edge" that prevents them distinguishing clean and dirty (or at least caring about it) in the moment, and I don't think anything short of sitting their butts for half a season will reform them.

Edited by top-shelf-1

True that, ts-1, but my point was that those players will NEVER learn! Shift that responsibility to their superior, and you'll get that attention promptly. Then let the coach and the GM struggle, IMHO, rightly so with recalcitrant players. Given enough of it, I'd think that be the end of these CS players?

On another front, this season start will certainly be interesting and certainly a challenge for Peters. If he can survive this, the sky's the limit!! Go Canes

You sure about that?  Over a misdemeanor?  That cop sits right at Carolina Country Club drive way and picks them off all weekend handing out DUI's left and right, What a trap, lower speed limit to 35 for a 200yd stretch coming out of downtown, shooting fish in a barrel. .  Anyway, back to hockey talk.

I agree about the cops at CCC but Chantel was busted at Five Points by Underwood School. She was probably on her way home from Glenwood South...and we all know nothing good happens there on a Saturday night.

True that, ts-1, but my point was that those players will NEVER learn! Shift that responsibility to their superior, and you'll get that attention promptly. Then let the coach and the GM struggle, IMHO, rightly so with recalcitrant players. Given enough of it, I'd think that be the end of these CS players?

On another front, this season start will certainly be interesting and certainly a challenge for Peters. If he can survive this, the sky's the limit!! Go Canes

I hear you, but the default position of management - especially GMs, who hire these goons - is to defend their players. IMO having a rule on the books that a guy will miss 41 games for a first offense and be banned for life for a second is the only way the NHL's lack of tolerance for hits to the head will be taken seriously.  

And totally agree on Peters. Hockey This Morning analyst said today the only hope the 'Canes now have this year is for the first-round draft pick next spring.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Heres a bit of a twist

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  14m 14 minutes ago

At least for this practice, Murphy dressed in white forward's sweater.

Why not he has the speed and scoring touch. We need  an extra body in practice.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  12m 12 minutes ago

#Canes forward lines: Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin Gerbe-Rask-Lindholm Malone-McClement-Brown Terry-Nash-Murphy

Murphy in a fowards sweater! I totally said that he should be switched to foward a few days ago on this board. Peters may be reading the board and taking my advice. No problem coach, message me with any other questions.

Wow, Murphy as a forward, should be interesting.

Also don't underestimate Gerbe, I think he could fill in the top 6 just fine until we get some of those injuries back.

Also, maybe just me thinking, good to get these injuries out the way before the season starts? Though you never want to see any...

So Chantel gets suspended.  Gives them time to find someone else?

RALEIGH, NC – Don Waddell, President of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has placed sideline reporter Chantel McCabe on suspension through Oct. 30.

“In light of what happened this past weekend, we think it is best that Ms. McCabe take some time away from the team,” said Waddell.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=733289

So Chantel gets suspended.  Gives them time to find someone else?

RALEIGH, NC – Don Waddell, President of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has placed sideline reporter Chantel McCabe on suspension through Oct. 30.

“In light of what happened this past weekend, we think it is best that Ms. McCabe take some time away from the team,” said Waddell.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=733289

maybe we can call up Ron

I wonder if the Canes are using those new helmet liners that are supposed to cut down on the impact of head blows?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/10/16/concussions-helmet-liner/1637801/

It wouldn't have helped Skinner Sunday (Niskanen's hit was like a knockout punch to the jaw), but the technology sounds like it might be promising.  Hopefully the Canes equipment staff is on the leading edge here.

Edited by LakeLivin

Murphy in a fowards sweater! I totally said that he should be switched to foward a few days ago on this board. Peters may be reading the board and taking my advice. No problem coach, message me with any other questions.

Yes you did, danimal, and I said it when we drafted him: Switch him to forward and let him play with Skinner (they were together in Kitchener and Murphy scored a ton of points as a Dman there, with and without Skinner). Their chemistry here has been obvious.

I think this is a great move, and starting him out on the fourth line will let him ease into it.

I wonder if the Canes are using those new helmet liners that are supposed to cut down on the impact of head blows?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/10/16/concussions-helmet-liner/1637801/

It wouldn't have helped Skinner Sunday (Niskanen's hit was like a knockout punch to the jaw), but the technology sounds like it might be promising.  Hopefully the Canes equipment staff is on the leading edge here.

Interesting development, but equipment caused this problem and isn't going to solve it. 

Don Cherry is right: Until players give the same respect to each other's coconuts that they did before helmets were introduced, players will continue to be concussed and to suffer from the long-term effects of it until they die.

Players must be made to understand that helmets are for protection against inanimate objects (errant sticks, pucks, etc.). The only way to do that is by suspending any player who delivers a blow to the head of any other player for 41 games (not including playoffs), no questions asked on the first offense - and for life on the second. Head hits will stop real quick if the NHL is brave enough to take that step, and other leagues will quickly follow suit. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Interesting development, but equipment caused this problem and isn't going to solve it. 

I think the equipment you are refering to is the helmet, but I would say take away the weapons they now call elbow pads and shoulder pads, and people won't throw them around so much!!  I'm not saying no elbow or shoulder pads.  I'm just saying scale them back to something similar to 20 years ago.

How about an eye for an eye. If you hit someone in the head and they are out for a concusion, you're out till he comes back.

The problem with making penalties extremely harsh is that it will result in a lower likelihood that they will be assessed.  The harsher the penalty the more the "reasonable doubt" factor will tilt towards the offender.  The penalty needs to be such that it hurts the offending player/ team but not so harsh that the NHL shies away from imposing it. Severely escalating suspensions for repeat infractions might help.  Seems like officials would have to judge the more harshly penalized repeat offenses according to the same criteria they use for first offenses. 

Edited by LakeLivin

We all make mistakes, im not going to pass   judgement on Chantel, luckily no one was hurt.. i say lets keep it to hockey.... JMO

I think the equipment you are refering to is the helmet, but I would say take away the weapons they now call elbow pads and shoulder pads, and people won't throw them around so much!!  I'm not saying no elbow or shoulder pads.  I'm just saying scale them back to something similar to 20 years ago.

Absolutely. Agree 2000 percent. But even then, without a two-strikes-you're-out policy that is rigidly enforced, the hits to the head will not stop, and they will continue to concuss people.

Wow. Peters just said on Canes Corner that the hit on Skinner was neither dirty nor intentional.

BILL, YOU HAVE TO WATCH MORE THAN THE TIGHT SLO MO REPLAY. AT FULL SPEED NISKANEN'S INTENT IS INDISPUTABLE. 

Unbelievable.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Wow. Peters just said on Canes Corner that the hit on Skinner was neither dirty nor intentional.

BILL, YOU HAVE TO WATCH MORE THAN THE TIGHT SLO MO REPLAY. AT FULL SPEED NISKANEN'S INTENT IS INDISPUTABLE. 

Unbelievable.

Think, top shelf, this may be some type of understood "Code Of Hockey" to just keep silent? I have not analyzed to any great extent, and possibly Skinner's unorthodox style of skating lowers his head, then he turns, but sure looked to me as if the skater was coming with his elbow high.

'

There's a difference between silence and saying there was no infraction. Peters said there was no infraction, essentially stating (unofficially) that the organization is not pursuing punitive action with the league. 

Big, big mistake.

Edited by top-shelf-1