The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

There's a difference between silence and saying there was no infraction. Peters said there was no infraction, essentially stating (unofficially) that the organization is not pursuing punitive action with the league. 

Big, big mistake.

Regardless of what the organization says or does, where's the player safety folk at the NHL level who should be reviewing?  If that only applies to the regular season, then they're missing the boat.

I have never understood why a player is required to control his stick at all times and basically any contact with the head is a high sticking penalty, but body parts like shoulders and elbows is just fair game.  I don't want to take the hitting out of hockey, but they do need to start penalizing any contact to the head.

I have never understood why a player is required to control his stick at all times and basically any contact with the head is a high sticking penalty, but body parts like shoulders and elbows is just fair game.  I don't want to take the hitting out of hockey, but they do need to start penalizing any contact to the head.

And get rid of the hard shells in the elbows and shoulder pads.  When that skull fights back against your bones, you'll think twice before throwing that body part at someone's head.

Regardless of what the organization says or does, where's the player safety folk at the NHL level who should be reviewing?  If that only applies to the regular season, then they're missing the boat.

I actually left a phone message for Stephan what's-his-face on Tuesday morning. 

They are not missing the boat. They are intentionally ignoring it, because announcing a suspension for a hit to the head in a preseason game, against a team's leading scorer, is NOT PR the NHL is interested in dealing with in Opening Week. For a bunch of people who keep telling us how supposedly "tough" they are getting on hits to the head, they sure are hiding under rocks on this one - at the expense of one of the league's most talented young players. Shame on the NHL. Make that SHAM.