The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

Hey guys what am I doing wrong? 

When I want to respond to what someone posted I click on the "Quote" button and begin typing.  When I click "Post" what I typed gets posted but the post I referred to doesn't get posted....makes me feel (and look?) like a hammerhead.

Despite my hatred for losing games I never really know what to take from a preseason game in any sport. Especially ones that I can't see for myself.

Looked like a mostly B team roster and of course we lose one of the few A team players in the event. Seems like only this team can manage that kind of luck at times.

Oh boy. Broken bone means at least 5-6 weeks likely. More if it's bad. Who is our second line center? Can't catch a break, well..bad phrasing.

Healing time might be 6 weeks but with a broken leg bone he'll never be able to keep up on cardio meaning if he healed in 6 weeks he wouldn't be in any form of game shape until 8-9 weeks.

Probably true. And then getting timing back... and if it's bad or needs surgery....way longer.

I'm Captain Optimism this time of year, but this one.... :hits forehead: .

That's a big hole to fill. And this team needs to get off and running during those 15 games too. 

Edited by remkin

New Canes Motto:  "If we didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all."

This stinks for J.  I hope he recovers soon, but that's definitely a big hole to fill.

I'd like to weigh in on this terrible news concerning Jordan. As to the angst expressed, if we are fortunate, the break will have been in his fibula, which is the smaller of the 2 lower leg bones, thus the much more easily healed. It also is not as critical to weight bearing, so that could mean a quicker return.

2nd, there is some discussion regarding "cardio", but though not the traditional used by these hockey players which employs a stationary bike, etc.. another option would be water aerobics. This is every bit as affective as the more standard cardio workouts, and many runners who've had leg injuries have done very well with this form of cardio workout. Now, if the trainers employ it is another thing.

Man, I've tried to be very optimistic about this season and really had a good feeling about it. Can't help but to say that feeling is pretty much completely gone with the loss of our 2nd line center, penalty killer, etc.... Oh well, here we go, gonna be a while til he gets back than it will be a while before he will be able to play decent so I guess we just accept no Jordan Staal til December, and thats if we're lucky and its not that serious and he's able to keep up on some conditioning. Never know, maybe somebody steps up to the position and we maintain a good record til he's back. Gotta think there are a couple checkers who are excited right now and gonna be playing extremely hard.

I'd like to weigh in on this terrible news concerning Jordan. As to the angst expressed, if we are fortunate, the break will have been in his fibula, which is the smaller of the 2 lower leg bones, thus the much more easily healed. It also is not as critical to weight bearing, so that could mean a quicker return.

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  1h

Jordan Staal broke the small bone at the bottom of the leg per @AndTheLetterK #Canes

For some reason I'm not comforted by this news. A broken leg is a broken leg.

Not the best feeling either wondering exactly how Semin and E. Staal are doing. Are they still fighting with their injuries or what? I mean if they are not 100% and we don't have J. Staal than we are relying on Skinner, Lindholm and minor leagueres to carry us here. If those two are 100% than I guess we have a chance as long as goal tending holds up. Shoooo, guess we will see soon.

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  1h

Jordan Staal broke the small bone at the bottom of the leg per @AndTheLetterK #Canes

For some reason I'm not comforted by this news. A broken leg is a broken leg.

I guess an early november return would be the best possible news here. Should have a time line sometime today I'm thinking.

Avulsion (chip) fractures are the ones that can return in 6 weeks, and my guess is that its' more than that. Hopefully it's on the minor side of the spectrum....I'm pretty sure as long as the rest of the ankle is relatively ok, it would be like Legend said. If the ankle joint is significantly displaced....whoooo boy....that would be long.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. But I would agree November is probably the most hopeful guess.

I wonder how long we try out our players in the system to fill the hole before we are forced to potentially look elsewhere. With all the emphasis on building from within, I'd say it's not likely we attempt to find someone to fill the gap. The one positive is the competition level between our younger guys trying to crack the lineup just got cranked up a whole hell of a lot. Hopefully two of Boychuk, McGinn, Rask, Terry, Di Giuseppe, etc really figure out the system and how to game is played in the NHL and fast.

Hahaha, I think LaRose will make a comeback this season, but I don't think it will be until a few months into the season at best.

In case you were wondering what it looked like (Jordan Staal) here's a picture from last night via Spector):

JStaalbrokenleg.jpg

And in case you weren't upset enough (I'm sorry!):

SPECTOR’S NOTE: No word yet how long Staal will be sidelined but this is a serious blow for the Hurricanes, losing their best two-way forward.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I thought Larose was only given a one way contract in the AHL.  Doesn't that mean he cannot be called up here?  I'm not sure, just asking, I know he didn't get a 2 way.

I thought Larose was only given a one way contract in the AHL.  Doesn't that mean he cannot be called up here?  I'm not sure, just asking, I know he didn't get a 2 way.

My guess is he probably has to be signed to an NHL contract first, just like Manny Malhotra did last season. He signed with Charlotte, played there, and then eventually earned the contract/signed and joined the Hurricanes.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Then there's always LaRose... :couch: .

Remember that time he skated real hard with his arms just pumping, got into a shooting position, and shot the puck right into the goalie's sweater patch?  That was awesome.

That guy could hit a goalie right in the chest.