The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

It looks like we are always moving on the PP and rotating to create screens.  The PP looks very good guys.  This is encouraging but also proves that Muller had no idea what he was doing.

I guess we are expecting more cuts today. Certainly Rask and Boychuk get to stay. I wonder if we will hang onto Terry for another game or two.

I guess we are expecting more cuts today. Certainly Rask and Boychuk get to stay. I wonder if we will hang onto Terry for another game or two.

With no game until Tuesday, I'd kind of expect Peters to want to boil it down to the guys that really have a shot at being on the opening night roster and the first few call ups from Charlotte.  Roster is currently at 44.  Maybe 10 or 12 go away?   I'm guessing he needs to work with real lines and special teams groups to get his system in some kind of order.  This team can't limp or fall out of the gate again.

Edited by super_dave_1

With no game until Tuesday, I'd kind of expect Peters to want to boil it down to the guys that really have a shot at being on the opening night roster and the first few call ups from Charlotte.  Roster is currently at 44.  Maybe 10 or 12 go away?   I'm guessing he needs to work with real lines and special teams groups to get his system in some kind of order.  This team can't limp or fall out of the gate again.

This would make sense. Peters and crew have reportedly spent a lot of time on the Power Play and it seems to be paying off. I'm sure it is time to now refine the system with those who will be playing it. But we are still in flux and have some spots to figure out.

First, some great dissuasion on here. Really analytic and insightful.  :applaud: .

Somehow when I read that I think people might think I'm being sarcastic, but really. Great to have an actual game to watch and analyze for the first time in forever. At least for you guys.

I am bummed I was working and couldn't watch the game, but during my dinner break I watched the three sequential Bellemore penalties. Love Legend's take on it. He didn't want to go back to the bench and face Peters, so he kept taking penalties.  :coollaugh: .

Not excited to hear the idea that Rask is trailing the play, and might be too slow, but have to wait and see on that one. Certainly the J. injury opens a door for him and overall he seems to be impressing.

But at this point the most important thing: PP goals. Wow. Could it be? OK too early, too small an N value, but if we've fixed the PP, that changes everything....well a lot.

Edited by remkin

I just had to post this..It made me chuckle.

Mike Maniscalco @mikemaniscalco  ·  18m

Second practice session on the ice. Khudobin and Ward are the goalies. And good news Brett Bellemore has not taken a penalty yet.

Tweets are saying Harrison, Dwyer and Terry aren't on the ice at practice today.

Not excited to hear the idea that Rask is trailing the play, and might be too slow, but have to wait and see on that one. Certainly the J. injury opens a door for him and overall he seems to be impressing.

Personally, I didn't see it that way at all.  What I saw were two guys (Boychuk, Gerbe) heavy in on the forecheck and a responsible center being where he should have been to cover the play going the other way until the defense was in position to take the points.

I think that's exactly what Peters likes.

With that said, I agree with bd58 that his skating isn't world class, but it's night and day from what I saw last year.

I don't know what his ceiling is, or where he will or might be used this year, but it's just nice to see a prospect actually making some progress

Edited by coastal_caniac

Wow, Rask is being talked about constantly on these boards for weeks now.  Can't wait to see what he's all about.  Definitely not amazing numbers from last year in AHL but solid.  I guess when your that age things can change a lot in a year.

Personally, I didn't see it that way at all.  What I saw were two guys (Boychuk, Gerbe) heavy in on the forecheck and a responsible center being where he should have been to cover the play going the other way until the defense was in position to take the points.

I think that's exactly what Peters likes.

:applause: Exactly, BP also likes to have his Dmen up tight on the offensive end. More reason to have your center play positional hockey.

Anyone see the Red-White scrimmage? Any thoughts?

McGinn with a snipe to start off the scoring...Gerbe and Semin with highlight shootout goals. I thought Rask was noticeably good (skated well, good hands, got to the net), Skinner and Lindholm too...they need to keep playing together.

Trimming the roster again and an unexpected turn of events

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  2m

#Canes make 9 cuts to camp roster, 4 require waivers: Holmstrom, Shugg, Nemisz, Ja. Sta

Additionally, Chad LaRose has joined the #Canes camp roster -- now at 36 -- on a professional tryout.

That didn't take as long as some of us thought.

Just ink LaRose into the top line. It is pre ordained. I can't beleive it hasn't happened already.

Edited by remkin

With Peters at the helm I'm reasonably comfortable that if LaRose is given an NHL contract it will be due to merit.  Unfortunately, because he plays RW and due to Js injury, I fear the Canes "merit bar" recently got a lot lower than it should be.

I've searched for any news on Loktionov and can't find a thing other than he hasn't signed anywhere. That might indicate that he hasn't healed completely yet? 

With Peters at the helm I'm reasonably comfortable that if LaRose is given an NHL contract it will be due to merit.  Unfortunately, because he plays RW and due to Js injury, I fear the Canes "merit bar" recently got a lot lower than it should be.

I've searched for any news on Loktionov and can't find a thing other than he hasn't signed anywhere. That might indicate that he hasn't healed completely yet? 

Probably.

I don't hate LaRose, but I don't love him either. Maybe I just forgot the intangibles he can bring after he had a  :censored:  fit and disappeared because he didn't get the ice time he wanted. Probably ganna get flamed for this.

Also, I'd much rather see one of our younger guys playing their hardest to begin their NHL careers. Just my opinion.  :hide:

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Just when I thought the Canes were going to quit trying retreads and give some of the young guys a chance. Up pops Chad LaRose.

Saying that the Canes need a right wing and Chad LaRose is an available right wing is like saying you have a friend who needs brain surgery and telling everybody you have a knife. I cannot see a positive outcome for either situation.

The LaRose PTO contract really doesn't change the chances of the young guns making the team that much. If Lindholm moves to center the chances for Boychuk and Terry remain the same. If Lindy moves to center and LaRose makes the team it might make it tougher for Rask but not impossible. But the key is LaRose has to earn a spot. The only thing that has changed for him right now is he gets a chance to prove he still has game in camp instead of in Charlotte. This isn't a move to replace J only to bolster a weak spot left by J"s injury . It was the smart move but it might not be the only move.

One of the last things I want to see is Rosey back in the top 6 on this team.  That being said, J's injury is going to cause RF to sign somebody like Loktionov or move somebody from wing to center.  We were already short at right wing.  If Rosey was a LW, he would still be way outside looking in.  He has a shot now at making the squad IF he has any game.  I'm willing to keep an open mind, but I don't have much expectation that a year off and a year older has made him a better player.  Now if the issue was between the ears, maybe he got his mind right.  I liked the old pesky LaRose. 

Give me the Rosey that will get under  Chara  bonnet, or Lucic, i like that Rosey..   I think Dobby may have to steal  a few games in the beginning..