The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

its getting fiesty out here, you can tell its almost time to start the season... The ever    ending question  remains, do the Hurricanes have the guys that can  muck in it up, and win the  corner battles... thats where you wear the enemy down,..  I suggest we put  Rem out there,  alot of spunk there!:)

Rosey has been injured since 9/17 or earlier with a quadriceps injury.Very surprised they are giving him a PTO. If Rosie makes this team in any fashion I will loose all faith with the entire Management team.It will also signal that our team is way worse than we all think.Don't forget Chad put up a whopping 4 pts in 2012-13.There were many opportunities for the canes to get a respectable RW during the off season. :screwy:

Rosey has been injured since 9/17 or earlier with a quadriceps injury.Very surprised they are giving him a PTO. If Rosie makes this team in any fashion I will loose all faith with the entire Management team.It will also signal that our team is way worse than we all think.Don't forget Chad put up a whopping 4 pts in 2012-13.There were many opportunities for the canes to get a respectable RW during the off season. :screwy:

yup...but we didn't

Well said.

Just the invitation to Chad says that someone has their finger on the BLOW-UP button... a RW,  a top 6 D-man should have been an off season must, if management really wanted to keep up in the Metro...  So if its blow-up bound, best to play the youngsters and old guys you can recycle for low bucks....

Edited by PamlicoPuck

If we want to start building a culture of hard work gets you ice time around here what does it say to bring back a guy who quit on himself, his teammates and the organization?  Screw that. The mere fact he's in the locker room makes me sick, thus, IMO, :puker:

Not a fan of this move in any way, shape, form or fashion. I don't want the kids to look down the bench and see a guy like that sitting there in a Canes sweater.

Edited by coastal_caniac

The kids trying to make the team should be pissed. Chad does not have any value add at this point. I cringed every time he stepped onto the ice in 2012-13. Chad couldn't find an empty net.

I'm not going to get too worked up over Chad LaRose at this point. 

Given the hand he's been dealt, it would seem almost negligent if Peters didn't at least take a look at LaRose .  But Peters doesn't have any historical bias, so the only way I see Rosie sticking is if he truly does have something to offer.  I don't see that happening, though; I'd be really surprised if LaRose plays anywhere other then Charlotte this year.

Edited by LakeLivin

Chad getting a tryout does not mean he makes the team. The guys sent down from camp to this point had close to zero chance of making the team, so LaRose isn't taking anyone's camp spot really. In the end it probably ends up being a "nothing burger' and a way of saying we gave him a chance. A way of maybe clearing the air w/ a popular player. Maybe...

AND, and and, this is just a tryout, there is a 4th option to below. So I will add it in here as an edit: See #4. So I'm probably over-reacting.....

But I can't help but feel like this move would seem to have about 3 possible motivations (including that one above), none of which inspire a lot of confidence, and one other one that is ok.

1. We are so desperate to fill a RW spot, that we not only scrape the bottom of the barrel, but we go out and find the "washed up ex players" barrel and scrape the bottom of that one. That would indicate a stunning blind eye to a big organizational need. Which would either indicate a big miss, or a writing off of this season. I guess that should please those who don't want to mortgage the future...unless of course you include this upcoming season as part of the future. 

2. It is a favor to LaRose. He left on bad terms. Lets throw him a bone, maybe clear some of that bad air. OK, this one I guess I can live with, but it does smack of old boy favoritism, which it would seem is not the message this new brain trust wants to send. It is probably mostly harmless, but then again, coaches love this guy so watch out or he'll be chugging up the side and firing into the chest protector before you know it.

3. Thin depth. My alma matter, a small private college in Chicago, was in the process of deciding whether to leave the city for the burbs or stay in the city. While they made that decision they let the city campus run down not wanting to spend on a campus they might abandon. This year's team has that kind of feel to it. While we figure out if this core has any parts worth keeping, we don't want to spend any more money on it. That has left us thin, especially at RW. I guess this one is kind of like #1 up there, except rather than Chad making the team, he actually goes down to Charlotte to be available IF our kids are not ready when an injury hits. I can live with this, but it does not inspire confidence in our kids.

4. Hopefully this is the real one. Chad is on a tryout that would allow him to play for any team that signs him. Maybe we told him he could join our camp with a long shot to make the Canes, but with the possibility another team might take interest. Of course if there's another team in more dire need of a RW, I'd like to know who it is. But still, that might have been the thinking.

It's not that I really care if LaRose gets to skate around with the team during training camp. Again, no one with a chance to make this team has been displaced. But it just points out how thin we are, and how little we've done this offseason to add much of anyone that will distinctly elevate the team. 

Then we lose J.  This is the part where we more acutely expect a move of some kind (most teams would have added a piece before J went down). And the move is....invite Chad LaRose to camp. Ouch. See #3 above.

Maybe another move is coming, maybe TWO of our kids are really ready, oh and Nash is also...oh and if anyone else gets hurt, a third yute is ready....or maybe.....LaRose actually plays?.....Nah. I just can't let myself go there. 

I will say it was too bad the way Chad went out. He was so popular before that. But it at least seems that was mostly on him. Who knows? Maybe not. Maybe that's why he got this chance. 

But, if a marginal player at his peak, who clearly stepped way back his last year, then could not find a job, then took a year off, then still could not find a job, who is now is coming off an injury...if that is our best option......oh boy, I might just start posting from the dark side. But that's if he suits up for an actual NHL game wearing the sightless eye. 

And that won't happen, right? Will it?

Edited by remkin

If Rosey was anything but a RW, I don't think he'd have a chance. I like the bottom of the barrel analysis and also the "he quit on his team" and doesn't deserve a shot. I was kind of trying to keep an open mind, but it's not really that open to begin with. It does stink of desperation.

Why do we have to clear the air with LaRose? Do we really need to throw him a bone? He's the one who got his panties in a bunch. He made the choice on the exit interview. Time to live with your choices and move on.

Man...the Rosey hatred is thick today. 

I'm all for seeing him coming back and giving the proverbial middle finger to all the doubters...and if it's not meant to be and he really is the lacking winger we had the past few seasons before his departure, so be it.  But I am excited that he's gotten this chance and is appearing to take advantage of it. 

I'm all for seeing him coming back and giving the proverbial middle finger to all the doubters...and if it's not meant to be and he really is the lacking winger we had the past few seasons before his departure, so be it.  But I am excited that he's gotten this chance and is appearing to take advantage of it. 

I'm with you AWAC!

Well Peters said a couple of nice things about LaRose in the article on the main site here.

Look, I know that "hate" is a bit of hyperbole, but I personally have nothing resembling hate for LaRose. In the past, I've defended him as having more skill than people ever gave him credit for, and he earned his fan favorite status over years of overacheiving and always playing full tilt.

But putting him on this team now...I just don't see it. I'd go to top shelf's post over in the J. Staal thread. Time to see what the yutes can bring. LaRose was pretty awful that last year. And he's two years older and a full year away from the game.

No hate. Love. Love the memory of him.

Edited by remkin

I'm all for seeing him coming back and giving the proverbial middle finger to all the doubters...

His "proverbial middle finger" shouldn't need a warm up, he's already used it on the organization once already.

What did you expect the reaction to be? 

Anyway, I'm not losing any sleep over Chad LaRose, we have better options. Banging your stick on the ice and running your mouth isn't exactly going to prevail over skill and speed, or respect for that matter, at least to this fan.

So the presence of LaRose in camp is making the young guns a little more uncertain of their position, work harder to earn a spot, they will need to push with all they have, nothing is going to be handed to them.  and this is a problem...why?

He's showed up for one practice for gosh sakes.

I really doubt at this point Lindholm is too worried about LaRose. Skinner isn't. Boychuk certainly shouldn't be.  Nash and Rask are centers, no worries there.  McGinn, nah.  He will be back with the Checkers soon enough

I guess you could include Malone, but he's under contract.

Not really sure who else should be worried?  PDG, Brown, Sandlak....they are still in camp.

Maybe somebody in Charlotte on a first callup?  Maybe not.

Youth, it's the future.

Chad Larose isn't.  He quit. I hope the young players look to their own ranks for leadership.  Top-shelf was getting to that in another thread.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Why hate on LaRose? He had a crappy year 2 years ago and obviously attributed at least some of that to being mishandled by Muller. That puts him in the company of 2/3 of the players Muller coached. He blew off his exit interview. I didn't hear him trash the team as he was leaving town. Eric Cole, on the other hand trashed the team, the market (going to a "real" hockey market in Montreal), and by extension, the fans. I do not want to see him again in the PNC except on the away bench. Peters is not going to hand anything to LaRose. I think he may get a 2-way contract and go to Charlotte as a depth player. We could certainly use another one of them.

How did Chad quit on the team? His contract was up. Yes, he skipped his exit interview. So did a Stanley Cup winning coach. Actually, the coach skipped interviews he was paid to attend with each member of the team. I believe Chad will go to Charlotte, but I think the work ethic that got him from undrafted ECHL player to Stanley Cup ring could be a valuable influence on our younger players in Charlotte. If he earns a shot to get back to Raleigh due to injury, someone else not stepping up or whatever, then so be it.

12 days to puck drop. No time for grudges and negativity. I'm just fired up the season is almost here.

So since it's 12 days till puck drop anyone who offers a counter opinion on Chad Larose's presence in camp is "hateful", "holding a grudge", or is just being "negative"?

Sorry if I rubbed a couple of you the wrong way.

Personally, I'm more in the camp with Top-shelf's post in another thread.  Mostly, the younger players should look to their own ranks for leaders. At least that's my hope.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Hate, love or hold a grudge on the guy, does it matter? Unless you're into being politically correct and must follow what the main stream says you can say or feel...Bottom line is the last couple of seasons he STUNK..And their is no way recycled players who no other NHL team wants, can be good for your younger guys...  No way....

No worries Coastal...for me on these boards, hate = negativity.  He definitely deserves to be dogged for his lack of point production, his abrupt departure, his ability to hit the opposing goalie in the logo, his ability to take dumb penalties...but he also outworked and out-hustled the big guns night in and night out with his work ethic...and THAT is something that this team sorely needs.

Not to perpetuate the argument, but since nothing much else is happening....

One might assume that a plucky, irritating, jabbering, hard working, heart and soul LaRose is needed to rub off on one or two other guys.

Here's the things:

1. He was around doing that while the other guys did their mediocre thing. I'm sure the guys like having him around, but he does not appreciably change the product on the ice. When he jabbers with Chara now, he's a sideshow.

2. The last couple of years LaRose mostly stopped that stuff anyway. When he began to see himself as a scorer, a lot of the sandpaper smoothed out. Yes, he had an almost desparation moment w/ Chara at the end, but that was the exception and it reaked of desparation to me. "See? Look at me! I can still do things like this! Don't fire me for actually not being a good hockey player anymore. I'm still your fireplug, right JR?".

3. He might claim he was misused, and so would I. But he was given chances to score and managed the following line two years ago:

35 Games: 2 goals, 2 assists. The man was not on the 4th line.

And he's better now after a year completely off and a year older? The only consolation is that he can't be, and despite Peter's nice words, he will see that and be real about this.

Could he scrap on the 4th line at 4th line money and not hurt the team. Probably, though I honestly don't know. But why use him there at this point? Put a yute there. Put a physically impossing guy there. Put Pat Dwyer there who is a major upgrade in that position over even "playing days" LaRose.

Again, let him tryout. Maybe some other team will call. For us, if he'll take a 2 way at this point, fine. But really, if he ends up on the opening day Hurricane roster, I'm with those that cannot imagine that being a good sign.

Edited by remkin