The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

2014 Training Camp and Exibition Games

No worries Coastal...for me on these boards, hate = negativity.  He definitely deserves to be dogged for his lack of point production, his abrupt departure, his ability to hit the opposing goalie in the logo, his ability to take dumb penalties...but he also outworked and out-hustled the big guns night in and night out with his work ethic...and THAT is something that this team sorely needs.

It's all good.  :)  I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone that didn't appreciate his work ethic when he could still contribute.

I've probably said too much already, so I'll bow out of this one.

Edited by coastal_caniac

In all honesty LaRose had a 50/50 chance at best to climb back to the NHL before the PTO and has a 50/50 chance at best after signing the PTO. But I still contend it was the smart move. He can skate both left or right wing. He has NHL experience. We are short on wingers. Find out now if he can be relied on to fill a spot. 

You can't IMO excuse him for the way he left the team two seasons ago but you can see an excuse. Really his actions were only a season ahead of the curve (see E Staal and Ward comments at the end of last season) that brought attention to the fact there was something really wrong in the locker room.

For me at least, the way he left is not much of a factor. He's an emotional guy, there are two sides to the story and clealry PK and Francis have let bygones be bygones.

Mainly though, it's hard to imagine him being able to play at a level that is higher than his last year on the ice, which was not good. Then there's the whiff of the endless Canes recycle. Is there no one else? cough* Loktionov * cough we could bring in? (Of course I guess Loktionov is a recycle too, but one who was on the upswing last year at least).

I just really have a hard time with LaRose taking a spot from the youth movement. Some talk has been posted here about past administrations being too enamoured with veterans. This feels like another potential example of that.

I guess having options is important, especially if certain wingers: Terry, Boychuk, McGinn don't pan out this year. If LaRose ends up going down to Charlotte and showing his worth, fine, but who do you replace with him now, at the start of the season? For me, no one.

Edited by remkin

Per Chip

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  2m

Fleury will play against Blues Peters says, then decision to be made

Peters says LaRose might play in final preseason game. Or could report to Charlotte.

Competition still open on D, Peters said. Top six still to be decided.

Maybe this is a sign!!!

Chip Alexander@ice_chip 2h

Blast from the past: for some reason Andrei Loktionov's name appears on PNC Arena scoreboard.

That would be enough for Eklund.

But seriously...make it so....

Some insight into Peters thinking in a story by Chip Alexander of the N&O

Canes Now

"We still don't know who's going to play in that 2 hole. But this week will be good to figure that out."

and he still needs to prune the D down. This should be an intense week for these guys.

How many games until LaRose is on the top line with Staal and Semin or has that time come and gone?

At this point, I have enough faith in Peters that if LaRose is on top line, he earned it.

At this point, I have enough faith in Peters that if LaRose is on top line, he earned it.

:goodpost:

I'd even change it to say "At this point, I have enough faith in Peters that if LaRose makes the team, he earned it."  Still don't see that happening, though . . .

I don't know....I'm all aboard the Peters express, but if he put LaRose on the team out of camp...doubt might start creeping in...

As the famous song states,"I 2nd that emotion". Loved Rosey in the good old days, but for me, those days are past.

Geez ... Saying not to "hate on LaRose" is a figure of speech. Not a suggestion that someone is hateful. I don't think there is a chance in heck that Chad is not headed to Charlotte. But even if he did stink 2 years ago, and even if his attitude 2 years ago was not that of the overachiever and hard worker we saw in the past, that does not mean he can't rediscover the fire and have it rub off on some our younger players. Will he see Raleigh again? Doubtful. He has no history with Peters, and whatever Chad has left in the tank is what he will be judged on (I hope).

I'm interested to see how E Staal and Semin do tonight. Fingers crossed they are both fully recovered and game ready.

Listening to Peters yesterday this is a huge game for a lot of the players left in camp. Not only the center spots are open but he talked about trying some D players on opposite sides to see if they can handle it out of their normal position. Fleury has to impress or he could be headed back to juniors. 12 Dmen fighting for spots. Should be intense.

Why hate on LaRose? He had a crappy year 2 years ago and obviously attributed at least some of that to being mishandled by Muller. That puts him in the company of 2/3 of the players Muller coached. He blew off his exit interview. I didn't hear him trash the team as he was leaving town. Eric Cole, on the other hand trashed the team, the market (going to a "real" hockey market in Montreal), and by extension, the fans. I do not want to see him again in the PNC except on the away bench. Peters is not going to hand anything to LaRose. I think he may get a 2-way contract and go to Charlotte as a depth player. We could certainly use another one of them.

EriCole was fed up with a lot that us as fans were fed up with at the time. JR lowballing his veterans while offering his youth the money they wanted two years into their professional careers. Not to mention they took the 'A' (that hands down should've gone to Erik) recently (at the time) and gave it to a 19/20 year old Sutter who hadn't even had a full NHL season under his belt. I commend Erik for speaking his mind when he left. He also had a lot of good to say about the area, the fans, the team itself. He was criticizing the structure JR had in place organizationally and attributing it to lack of success on the ice, which is something we are very good at doing. The next year we sign Semin and trade for Jordan Staal, so his comments may have had a positive impact on the organization as well. I'd welcome Erik back with open arms.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

and..I guess we shouldn't forget their is still a goalie battle going on

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  2m 2 minutes ago

Pretty important game for Cam Ward in net tonight in St Louis. He'd probably like to prove something to new Blues asst coach, Kirk Muller.

Per Chip

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

EStaal, Nash, Rask and Sutter should be centers tonight. D pairs may include Gleason-Murphy, Fleury-Biega.

Harrison just came out with game group, so may be change in D pairs.

Rask with Terry, McGinn. Sutter with Malone, Brown. Harrison and Murphy on D.

EStaal with Tlusty, Semin; Nash with Skinner, Lindholm. Have to think that's top six for opening night. Barring another injury.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  28s 29 seconds ago

#Canes game-group D pairs: Sekera-Faulk Harrison-Murphy Fleury-Biega

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  8m 8 minutes ago

Cam Ward in the #Canes starter's crease. Drew MacIntyre opposite.

I almost get the feeling Ward and Macintyre are fighting for the backup spot. That can't be right...can it?

I say that's about right.  K-Dub is the better goalie.  I am not sure what happened to Ward but he just isn't so great anymore.  I think the pressure/hype really did him in.

I don't know if my feeling is right but for certain this has to be one of the most important nights for Ward in a very long time.

Yeah, I wasn't at the Red-White scrimmage, but some of the video, I swear seeing Cam beat on a couple of easy shots. Anyone there, please correct me.

I have maintained that the best thing for the management team and probably the team would be for Cam to emerge really good and take the number one job. BUT I have also maintained that he had to not be clearly outplayed by Khudini, If he does not clearly emerge as at least as good, it would be a massive mistake to try to force him in there. 

So he needs to break out strong. He needs to show it. I can't help but think he has been slotted in the back up based on play to date. 

If he comes out weak again tonight, and Khudini shows solid, well, there's only two games after this back to back....

The only way Cam is not the back up is disaster. If Cam has simply completely lost it. In that case, what are the options? Can he be waived? Go to Charlotte? What could the team do if Cam is utterly washed up?

Hopefully not an issue and he'll look great tonight.

Edited by remkin

Isn't the buyout period over? What could we do this year?

The trade market for Cam was allegedly giving up our first round pick for a team to take his cap hit. If he is that bad now, his value will be lower if anything. 

Again, I am still hoping that this is a theoretical discussion.

I don't think he can be bought out until June. I think he still has a shot at the number 1 spot but most likely he will be the backup. Having said that I still have a feeling that Macintyre has a shot to dislodge him. Its difficult for me to gage Francis and Peters and their view of things...just yet

add: If Ward plays the entire game I think he will be part of the tandem. If Macintyre splits the game with him it will mean coaches are still taking a hard look at him