The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Stealth-ch1

Jordan Staal out for 3-4 months, surgery required for broken fibula

Worst possible news for the Canes this pre season other than maybe E missing 3-4months.  With a healthy team I thought we had a good chance of being well above .500 and making playoffs. now it will take a strange year of chemistry, bounce back stats, break out stats and incredible goaltending for us to get there. Here's to that happening and than Jordan coming back in January in good game shape.  sigh, seems like we are cursed since the cup.  I still believe though man! 

Can't help but feel a bit of a blow with that news. Was holding out it would be non surgical.

It's pretty hard to sugar coat that Rask, no matter how good he's looking is a big drop off from Jordan.

If I'm counting right we're talking January or even February.

Really hard to spin no move as not looking like this year is seen as expendable at some level. I guess we need to see what say Rask can bring, but on paper basically Rask for J. makes us look far less exciting. Might need to make a move.

Same here.  That means he will likely miss one-half of the season.

Barring a move to bring someone in, I would assume Lindholm would be first in line, since we drafted him to play center in the top-6.  But that's a lot to put on his shoulders, and we aren't exactly brimming with guys who can play right wing in the top-6 (no Larose jokes please) to take the spot he would vacate.

Certainly not Rask.  I mean he's looked good so far, but let's be realistic.

Nash?  That makes me cringe as well.

Maybe they just platoon guys we have now?  No way do I  think Lindholm, Nash, or Rask can play second line center for 40 or more games.  Just too much to ask, IMO.

RF and Peters have their work cut out for them.  If the team did make a move, who is out there? 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Another problem is this is a tough time to make a move. Teams want to see what they have more than make moves.And we'd be generally trading from a point of weakness and GM's will try to take the new guy. Anyone cap strapped might have someone?

We need someone that can face down the best centers in the East and not get owned. Are Nash or Rask ready for that? Linholm?

Yeah, nothing like an immediate challenge for the new brain trust.

Edited by remkin

Boy its funny to see how perspectives change once something (or someone) is lost. Jordan had a lot of detractors last year on this board, but now they have apparently gone silent. With what I keep hearing about the quality of this year's draft class, I think RF will let the group JR left him play out the string. It appears at least that we are bolstering our scouting department, and I can't imagine us parting with picks to fill the void left by J's injury given the supposed quality of this year's draft class.

How about Nash centering Lindholm and Skinner (looked pretty good at the end of last season) and Rask givena shot with Gerbe and Boychuck/Terry/? on 3rd line. If we need more toughness on the 3rd line for defense, we could move McClement there. Hope the injury bug goes away now, b/c we do not have many more marginally

NHL ready bodies to move into the lineup. Rosie in Raleigh by November?

BD, I think that is the most likely thing to end up happening. E, Nash, Rask.

But I would also not be shocked to see Lindholm get a shot.

Any move would have to be a guy who can be slid to wing when J does come back also.

We probably start with the guys we have. Maybe Ward becomes tradeable at some point.

Edited by remkin

This is tough. I don't think you replace J but I expect we will be looking for a more seasoned center. I think we need to keep in mind J should be back for the back half of the season. I don't see us signing a high salaried long term player or selling the farm to obtain one. We do have some assets. We do have 8 D-men, We do probable have a prospect or two we could move and coupled with late round draft choices could be attractive.

If we stay with who we have it will be challenging but both Rask and Nash have been good in camp. Its not the end of the season..just yet

I was so looking forward to seeing J on a scoring line this season. It really stinks for J.

We do probable have a prospect or two we could move and coupled with late round draft choices could be attractive.

No!  Our farm system is bare as it is.  Better to go with what we have, than mortgage the future any more.

No!  Our farm system is bare as it is.  Better to go with what we have, than mortgage the future any more.

I can't argue about our farm being sparse. I'm not even saying thats what we should do but it is an option that Francis has to look at. Francis strikes me as a GM that won't sell the future. But I think there are always moves that can be made if needed. The move has to make sense though.

If we stay with who we have it might be an exciting brand of hockey we see in the early going.

But ask yourself this. Can this team afford to count on a rookie or a second year forward or last years 3rd line center to fill the void for four months?

I can't argue about our farm being sparse. I'm not even saying thats what we should do but it is an option that Francis has to look at. Francis strikes me as a GM that won't sell the future. But I think there are always moves that can be made if needed. The move has to make sense though.

If we stay with who we have it might be an exciting brand of hockey we see in the early going.

But ask yourself this. Can this team afford to count on a rookie or a second year forward or last years 3rd line center to fill the void for four months?

Honestly, yes.  We gave up too much to get Jordan.  We'd have to give up about the same to replace him.  Is it worth that?

Honestly, yes.  We gave up too much to get Jordan.  We'd have to give up about the same to replace him.  Is it worth that?

If that is the route we go, I hope your right. It could be fun watching the younger players step up and they could surprise.

I doubt we can replace J. I doubt we have the money or assets to do that. But we do have the assets and money to find a more experienced NHL forward that can join the committee. My problem is I don't see that NHL player available right now.

I'm not advocating trading away our early round draft picks or selling our future to get a top dollar player but there are prospects that probable don't fit into our short term plans and we do have a crowded blue line. I'm saying if your Francis you have to look.

I haven't looked but are there any teams right up to or over the cap that will need to make a final move before opening day to be in compliance?  Keep an eye on those teams, RF will have to make a move one way or another.  

I haven't looked but are there any teams right up to or over the cap that will need to make a final move before opening day to be in compliance?  Keep an eye on those teams, RF will have to make a move one way or another.  

Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia Flyers and Tampa Bay Lightning need to get under the cap.  I think Philly can get to the cap using LTIR but I'm not sure. There are about another half dozen teams that could be in trouble next season and might be looking at moves this season.

That's funny, the Bruins, Blackhawks and Flyers were the first teams I thought of when writing that post.

EDIT:  I like the idea od staying the course too but if a desirable player becomes available before opening day that could help the Canes, RF should consider it.  Remember, he inherited JR's team so it wouldnt surprise me if he steered in a different direction.

Edited by TSA

Of the teams thrown out there, Chicago and Boston are in the most trouble, cap wise.

Chicago is rumored to be looking to move Versteeg (not much help), Oduya or Leddy (both defenseman).

Boston trade rumors center around Eriksson (4.5-mil cap hit) or Boychuk (depth defenseman).

Players aren't falling off the tree to be picked up and inserted in our lineup.  There are probably going to be a few waivers, but how's that going to help?

Maybe we will make a move, but I don't see RF veering from the path of the future.  Too easy to get robbed right now out of desperation.  A depth move maybe, but I don't see us making a move with the intention of replacing Staal.

Quick question for those more knowledgeable than I(which generally includes most on here). Should Rask get the nod, and therefore stay in the ranks for a period longer than the 10 games, even though as I understand I think the changed rule concerning "emergency call ups", does that mean that he'd go thru waivers when returned to his junior club? And, if that is a possible consequence to his being inserted into the line up, does that factor into the equation of what to do in our present situation?

I would personally not be against bringing in Oduya or Boychuk if those teams just have to get rid of them. Chicago - Atlanta firesale style.

Edited by legend-1