The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
PenaltyKiller17

Honestly, Isn't it the perfect time for a rebuild?

Well, the team changed the coach and GM.  And with between the contracts the have, and the internal cap, they did what they could at the moment.  I'll keep renewing my seasontickets as long as they are trying to improve.

Yeah,but we need to change the owner. The one who keeps the handcuffs on RF and BP. We could of made some moves this year and did nothing.We are still below the cap and had multiple opportunities to make changes and additions.I still cringe when I think of his 2013-14 interview where he acted like there was no problem with the team. "I like our team"

All stats are made up but I feel fairly confident in wishing for a new owner brings a darn good chance of not having a team to even worry about.

If that's what it takes to produce a winner, I'd follow them no matter where they are.Much better than spending money to see your local team get pummeled every game.

Be careful what you wish for.  You might have to drive 2300 miles to watch them play if this happens.

Yeah,but we need to change the owner. The one who keeps the handcuffs on RF and BP. We could of made some moves this year and did nothing.We are still below the cap and had multiple opportunities to make changes and additions.I still cringe when I think of his 2013-14 interview where he acted like there was no problem with the team. "I like our team"

I think a lot of people would agree with this.  Over time it would be hard to support a team that left your town for greener pastures; I'm sure Hartford didn't have a parade in June 2006 for the Stanley Cup Champions.

You almost get the sense a rebuild is upon us but management won't acknowledge it for fear of alienating the casual fan.  I like the fact that Francis has beefed up some of the infrastructure (scouting etc.) to support a robust organization. This is going to take time and patience and somehow fans are going to need to be onboard to the point that they continue to buy tickets even when the immediate future isn't so bright.

It's easy to take shots at Karmanos for not spending enough money to ice a better team, but the fact is the Hurricanes have spent money; they just haven't spent it wisely.  The improvements in scouting and player development will help the organization make better decisions moving forward about how those dollars are spent.

I think the future is bright even if the coming season is miserable.  I still hope that it isn't but as a fan I am prepared for it.  I'd much rather finish at the bottom this year than be 8 or 10 points out of the playoffs and drafting between seven and fourteen.

Be careful what you wish for.  You might have to drive 2300 miles to watch them play if this happens.

I'd much rather see what the players left can do rather than surf the waiver wire for all the Andreas Nodl's out there.  JR was frittering away the draft picks and picking up all the almost NHLers that were cast away.  Don't believe me, look at how many ex-Canes are ex-NHLers as soon as they are cut loose from the Canes.  To me, that speaks volumes about the talent level in the organization. 

I think RF gets that EStaal's and Ward's values are much more if they play to their potential than the negative trade value they currently have when you factor in contracts.  His hands were tied to a certain extent and he's going to have to play this hand out and hope to hit on a long shot.  I am thrilled at the idea of building a foundation through the draft.  Yes, smart trades are a part of it, but I think JR got way too much credit for making smart trades.  In recent history, what move did JR make that was so great other than Jussi for a while?  Ruutu was okay, but I didn't like moving Ladd at the time and would love to have him back.  I thought JR made a career out of nibbling around the edges and caught lightning in a bottle in 2006. 

Maybe RF could have made some more free agency moves, but I think he wanted to see just what he was working with.

Signing Tomas Kaberle was bone-headed and doomed to failure in the first place, but unloading him off on the Habs four months later was pure brilliant. :banana:  Not to mention making his bobblehead look like.........Jamie McBain.

Edited by coastal_caniac

1) I'd much rather see what the players left can do rather than surf the waiver wire for all the Andreas Nodl's out there.

2) Maybe RF could have made some more free agency moves, but I think he wanted to see just what he was working with.

1) I think we'd all agree there, lol.  But given our dearth of RWers (and at basically no cost) I still think Mueller was worth a shot and Panik was almost a no-brainer.

2) After we passed on Panik I've come to think the decision to make no additional moves after J went down probably wasn't RFs but rather PKs.  I'm starting to strongly suspect that he's willing to save as much money as he can this year and take a shot at getting either McDavid or Eichel next summer.  Unfortunately we'll probably never know for sure.  

Edited by LakeLivin

1) I think we'd all agree there, lol.  But given our dearth of RWers (and at basically no cost) I still think Mueller was worth a shot and Panik was almost a no-brainer.

2) After we passed on Panik I've come to think the decision to make no additional moves after J went down probably wasn't RFs but rather PKs.  I'm starting to strongly suspect that he's willing to save as much money as he can this year and take a shot at getting either McDavid or Eichel next summer.  Unfortunately we'll probably never know for sure.  

More likely the two have consulted and RF will have an increasing ownership stake as PK's decreases. I honestly believe Ronnie is taking the smart business approach: Wise new managers see what they have internally before going out and spending money on other people who have at best an even-money chance of improving things.

There is no one move that is going to turn this team into a winner this year, and even if there were, it does nothing to build a lasting, self-perpetuating winning culture based on good scouting and a dedication to developing players within our system. There is much to be said in favor of this approach, particularly for a small market team where money will always be an issue - and the fact that Ronnie is pursuing it suggests he will have an ownership interest in this team in the not-too-distant future.

Edited by top-shelf-1

That's ok, I won't drive 10 miles today to watch this team play.They will not get annother dime from me until they show signs of improving.I couldn't even watch them on TV at the end of last season.Too painful.

More likely the two have consulted and RF will have an increasing ownership stake as PK's decreases. I honestly believe Ronnie is taking the smart business approach: Wise new managers see what they have internally before going out and spending money on other people who have at best an even-money chance of improving things.

There is no one move that is going to turn this team into a winner this year, and even if there were, it does nothing to build a lasting, self-perpetuating winning culture based on good scouting and a dedication to developing players within our system. There is much to be said in favor of this approach, particularly for a small market team where money will always be an issue - and the fact that Ronnie is pursuing it suggests he will have an ownership interest in this team in the not-too-distant future.

I see where you're coming from but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

It's not like RF is coming into a new organization. I doubt there's anyone else on earth who's more familiar with what we've got as far as talent throughout the organization.  And the general consensus on these boards (and in almost every review I've seen) is that we're organizationally weak when it comes to prospects.

I'm not so sure that one move might not significantly increase our chances of winning this year. As someone pointed out earlier, when someone is overslotted, someone else has to move up to cover the spot on the line you'd like to play him on. And so on.  Given how close we've been over the past couple of years, I can see lacking one player in depth costing us. 

I get and agree with your point about building a culture here.  But we're not talking about overpaying for some questionable high price veteran.  Or even questionably trading assets.  If we had picked Panik up, wouldn't that have actually fit in with philosophy of trying to build from youth?  Just that the youth would have come from another organization.   I mean, if we can get a "better youth" from somewhere else at no cost, why wouldn't we?

Lastly, I'd suggest that as a small market team it's critical to not only build a strong development program, it's also important to identify opportunities that cost little but have a good potential up side and act quickly.  We're never going to have the upper hand when it comes to UFAs. But if we can recognize the potential of a Tolchinsky before others or grab a Panik for free because TB is loaded at RW we do have the means to supplement our talent pool beyond just the draft.

Just one man's opinion. :)

Edited by LakeLivin

Signing Tomas Kaberle was bone-headed and doomed to failure in the first place, but unloading him off on the Habs four months later was pure brilliant. :banana:  Not to mention making his bobblehead look like.........Jamie McBain.

Good points, but getting rid of Kabs just took a GM stupider than JR! And I have a hard time forgiving the original signing. That makes that a wash. Sekera was a good move. Gotta throw out the A Ward trade to level that playing field.

I don't know what all you guys are babbling about, but I for one am just glad to see "Smiling Bob" back on the boards!  :)

If that's what it takes to produce a winner, I'd follow them no matter where they are.Much better than spending money to see your local team get pummeled every game.

I have plenty of teams  follow from 2000 miles away.  I wanna be able to see one of the in person.

I have plenty of teams  follow from 2000 miles away.  I wanna be able to see one of the in person.

DB, I hear ya.I was a second row season tkt holder for years and spent my fair share of $'s on this team. At some point you have to stop feeding the owner's pocket if he is doing nothing to invest in the team.As long as people keep buying tkts, PK is going to "like this team". I will say the one plus I see this year over past season's is the hiring of Peters.I think Peters will be here for years to come, if he wants to stay.By now I think the majority of the fans realize that coaching is not the problem, it is the lack of talent.Sooner than later the fan base will stop investing in a looser and come to realize that the real problem is our owner.Watching the game on TV is cheaper and less painful than sitting in an arena for a full game.I can turn off my TV at any point when the team looks awful.Less likely to leave when I invested my dollars at the arena. I was also spending a fortune at the concession stands trying to numb my pain,lol.

This team has been maddening to follow from over here in Germany...I can only imagine how bad it's getting for you guys in the Triangle.

At this point, I'm all for the fire sale.  It's been clear since Rod left that this team has no heart...it has no identity...and it overpays mediocre players, while misusing the good ones in craptastic combinations before declaring them not worthwhile and trading them away to other teams for a bag of pucks, where they show a modest career resurgence.

Sometimes, in order to create, you have to destroy...

...trading them away to other teams for a bag of pucks, where they show a modest career resurgence.

Who was that?  Jussi?

Maybe a him, but not a they.  I'd have to say that the minors, KHL, and unemployment line is where the ex-Canes usually go.

I'm currently at the point where I feel everyone is available, and I do mean everyone. 

We aren't going to compete or win new fans with this current bunch, it's time for a change.

Well if we do a fire sale....you will have Riley Nash as our 1st line center. That sort of team would have a chance to set records for worst loser. We are stuck in mediocrity and there is no quick fix. And if we trade Eric, we will most likely be a perennial loser for at least another 3-4 years while we bottom out. We desperately need to dump Semin no matter what we decide to do. I'm just glad Peters benched him....all he has done so far this season is collect a paycheck.

So it is a little later in the year, and after a horrible October the canes are not looking that bad. Still some weakness and slow starts but the younger ones have started to give the team life and the older ones seem to be joining.

I really enjoyed the last two periods of the game against the flames last night. In particular the timely call of the timeout when the flames were really trying to take control of the game. The team responded and gleason got a dagger goal. Plus the Flames are a quality team. 

So is it fire sale time or do we have a shot. Currently the canes are in 23rd position, 7th in their division, one more win COULD vault the team to 19th but more important a tie for 4th in division. Still a long way to go, but it is much better than where they were