The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
formerwhalerfan

Joni Pitkanen

Joni takes another step in his long road to recovery

Puck Daddy

“At this point, the only sure thing is that I join Kärpät strength training,” he told the paper.

He doesn't give up. You have to hand it to him for that.

Funny how Joni use to be unmercifully maligned? Much like other "whipping boys" of late, until we didn't have his services anymore. Ironic really??

There has not been too many positve things to talk about this season. Thanks for throwing a wet blanket on, until now, a very positive thread.

From 2 days ago, no real new news:

Translated:

"Another interesting question is Joni Pitkänen. Pitkänen came before Christmas Kärpät exercises and the purpose was to test the feet decent team trainings. Their rumored to what was then moved to the foot lasted surprisingly well and the next day did not have pain. However, the situation Pitkänen has not subsequently been part of anything and make sure you can wait there until the end of the transfer window before a final judgment is obtained."

http://www.vaihtoaitio.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&p=307718&sid=801d1b62687ca24e735c92861afc8165

From January 26th

My conclusion... Google should work on their english->finnish translator, and Joni may play in the tournament starting on 2/9.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/kaleva_joni_pitkanen_rekisteroity_chl-finaaliin/8624939

Translated:

Kaleva reported on Tuesday that the Dolphins have been registered defenseman Joni Pitkänen Hockey CHL-finals, which will take a couple of weeks. Urallansa more than 500 NHL match played Pitkänen has been practicing with Kärpät since December.

Heel of his disability recovering Pitkänen has not yet concluded an agreement with oululaisjoukkueen. Kärpät coach Lauri Marjamäki admitted in December Spondylitis Association of America, that the Dolphins are interested in acquiring Pitkänen into their ranks, if Pitkänen foot it takes exercises.

There is not a lot of competition for Finnish to English translation.  The reference to Spondylitis got me going, and I have no idea why Google threw that in there.  (I was wondering if Joni had some form of arthritis diagnosed.)

Instead I found a slightly different translation for the last sentence (the first sentences were similar):

Head coach of kärpät L m in December in the NYT sports, that the Dolphins are interested in its ranks if it takes football Pitkänen Pitkänen exercises.

Basically, sounds like Joni may play, but they are still concerned about the heal and continued recovery methods.

Funny how Joni use to be unmercifully maligned? Much like other "whipping boys" of late, until we didn't have his services anymore. Ironic really??

Just now am noticing caniac6's reply to my post, and only have this to reply to it "Thin skinned are we?". My comment was just my recollection of how routinely Joni was criticized, and if that offends anyone, than you obviously were not a fan during the hay days of the 3 Finn group. Personally, I loved the guy, but he was an enigma. Surely hope that he can get back to the game!!!!

I wasn't following the Canes back when Pitkanen was playing.  Wasn't he a puck moving d-man before everyone realized that puck moving d-men were what you wanted?

I wasn't following the Canes back when Pitkanen was playing.  Wasn't he a puck moving d-man before everyone realized that puck moving d-men were what you wanted?

His puck-moving skills were solid.  Keeping the puck on the zone while on the point?  Couldn't do it to save his life.

His puck-moving skills were solid.  Keeping the puck on the zone while on the point?  Couldn't do it to save his life.

Yeah, I don't know how often he was playing his off-side, but if memory serves he was on his backhand a lot. I seem to recall him being okay at keeping the zone on his forehand.

Yes Lake, he was, but where he was so misunderstood, was his effortless skating style. Many at the time thought him to be goofing off and lazy, but his stride, though seemingly lackadaisical, was deceptive. You should have been around in those days, Lake. Constant screaming at Joni for his "bone headed plays", but masterful at bringing the puck up ice!!

This is great!!

Joni was breaking new ground but nobody knew it.

He could play 30 minutes a night, easy.

Probably one of the most well-conditioned Canes behind Brindy.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Holy...

The advertising is even more out of control than I remembered. It's brutal and I pray it never makes its way here.

Anyway, good for Joni.

It's hard to believe that someone could go from "may never skate again" to moving around like that.

I can't even imagine the amount of commitment, hard work, and dedication it took Joni to get back to doing what he loves.

He has nothing but my respect and I wish him all the best in the future.

Holy...

The advertising is even more out of control than I remembered. It's brutal and I pray it never makes its way here.

Anyway, good for Joni.

It's hard to believe that someone could go from "may never skate again" to moving around like that.

I can't even imagine the amount of commitment, hard work, and dedication it took Joni to get back to doing what he loves.

He has nothing but my respect and I wish him all the best in the future.

I agree Kyrule, both on the advertising...wow! And on the hard work Joni must have put in to reach this point. He looked pretty good in that clip for his first game!

One of the great Canes goals of all time. Have I ever mentioned that I told my wife to use our tickets and take a friend that night? I felt guilty for going to all the playoff games and she had not been. That will not happen again.

Joni was a horse of a defenseman. Once in a while, he'd venture off into Joniland and seem distracted, but the man was always on the ice. He skated effortlessly and could make passes that nobody else on the team could make.