The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
top-shelf-1

Dear PR Dept: "Game Recaps" are a Joke

Seriously? Only showing our goals and best plays, interspersed with people having fun at PNC? Fine - but don't link to it from anything labeled "Game Recap."

Weak.

Seriously? Only showing our goals and best plays, interspersed with people having fun at PNC? Fine - but don't link to it from anything labeled "Game Recap."

Weak.

Top-shelf-- you mis-spelled the word Game recap for the Canes,,, just add a "R" and it would be right----game recRap !   lol

Canes' marketing (or PR) could not sell an igloo to an Eskimo

I dunno, they seem to have retained a lot of STHs for a team this bad. 

Honestly, I think the Canes are pretty slick with much of their marketing and that they have come a long way with integrating their web presence with "real" life. Just disappointed that when I clicked something called "Game Recap" I got as much or more of the Storm Squad, kids hamming it up for CanesVision, and KissCam as I did hockey, and what hockey there was was only our goals and near misses (talking to you with that last bit, Alex!!).

Sure, I can go to NHL.com and get the actual highlight reel there - but why would the club want to send me offsite?

Edited by top-shelf-1

Was it their marketing that sold the STH renewals?  Or,  was it that those who renewed have fallen in the love with the sport?  The key will be found in the new STH who "buy in" with a team all experts pick to finish at the bottom of the Metro division

Was it their marketing that sold the STH renewals?  Or,  was it that those who renewed have fallen in the love with the sport?  The key will be found in the new STH who "buy in" with a team all experts pick to finish at the bottom of the Metro division

True that; I think the Stanley Cup Cash Cow is **finally** out of milk :)

That being said, this is an easy sport to fall in love with. Lord knows it's had me for 45+ years. No matter how much Bettman tries to ruin it  :P

Edited by top-shelf-1

True that; I think the Stanley Cup Cash Cow is **finally** out of milk :)

That being said, this is an easy sport to fall in love with. Lord knows it's had me for 45+ years. No matter how much Bettman tries to ruin it  :P

so true.  I got hooked on the sport during the Cup run

Honestly, I think the Canes are pretty slick with much of their marketing and that they have come a long way with integrating their web presence with "real" life. Just disappointed that when I clicked something called "Game Recap" I got as much or more of the Storm Squad, kids hamming it up for CanesVision, and KissCam as I did hockey, and what hockey there was was only our goals and near misses (talking to you with that last bit, Alex!!).

Sure, I can go to NHL.com and get the actual highlight reel there - but why would the club want to send me offsite?

You do realize that you are on nhl.com when you go to Caneshockey.com, right?

I don't see the big deal.  The meat of the game recap is in the boxscore and the game and event summaries anyway.

You do realize that you are on nhl.com when you go to Caneshockey.com, right?

yeah... there is no CanesHockey.com. I'm guessing you mean this site. And you are logged in at NHL.com when logged in here, but you're not "on" NHL.com when you're here.

I don't see the big deal.  The meat of the game recap is in the boxscore and the game and event summaries anyway.

No argument there, and I refer to these often. But no video in those, either - so my point was that a link on the homepage to video labeled "Game Recap" leads me to reasonably expect that I'll see key plays from the game. Instead what was posted after the slugs game was identical to what was last year called "Flavor of the Game," all Canes highlights and PR shots.

No big deal, either - just something that should be corrected. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

No argument there, and I refer to these often. But no video in those, either - so my point was that a link on the homepage to video labeled "Game Recap" leads me to reasonably expect that I'll see key plays from the game. Instead what was posted after the slugs game was identical to what was last year called "Flavor of the Game," all Canes highlights and PR shots.

No big deal, either - just something that should be corrected. 

Well, if it makes you feel any better I can't watch anything that CanesVision produces anyway so there is that, LOL.

I just go to TSN to see the highlights rather than bother with their crappy production videos that do not function past the dadgum ad.

I've tried to find solutions to that here, no luck.  Emailed directly with Michael Smith, no luck.  Phone calls, no luck.

So screw em, I go to TSN, like I said.  I guess it's not surprising to find out they did something like that.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well, if it makes you feel any better I can't watch anything that CanesVision produces anyway so there is that, LOL.

I just go to TSN to see the highlights rather than bother with their crappy production videos that do not function past the dadgum ad.

Really? I don't have that issue, and one reason I find this a little aggravating is that they finally managed to stream a game in preseaon stem to stern with no issues. 

The other reason is that I quit TV several years ago (I only stream what I want to watch now), so I listen to Chuck and rely on the video recaps the next morning.

yeah... there is no CanesHockey.com. I'm guessing you mean this site. And you are logged in at NHL.com when logged in here, but you're not "on" NHL.com when you're here.

Type www.caneshockey.com into your browser and see where it takes you.  BTW, the following URL is for this page:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22464-dear-pr-dept-game-recaps-are-a-joke/

So this is either hosted by nhl.com or part of the nhl.com domain, so yes you are "on" nhl.com.

Type www.caneshockey.com into your browser and see where it takes you.  BTW, the following URL is for this page:

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22464-dear-pr-dept-game-recaps-are-a-joke/

So this is either hosted by nhl.com or part of the nhl.com domain, so yes you are "on" nhl.com.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but when you type "caneshockey.com" what url comes up in your browser's address bar? hurricanes.nhl.com, right?

So caneshockey.com is a domain name the club (or NHL, I'm sure who pays what web fees to whom is all spelled out in the franchise agreement) owns, but which has no content - known as a referring domain. They buy the domain name because it is something a fan might type. But all it does is link to the actual (active) domain, That's what I meant by "doesn't exist." The content is at hurricanes.nhl.com. And the links to highlights posted by the club on its front page are composed by the team PR (or Marketing or Community Relations or whichever of these is the in-vogue term this month, in the smoke-and-mirrors business) Department, not the NHL's.

Yeah, it's all sad. Even trying to watch recap on local channels. We could win 5-2 and they'll show both opponents goals, 3 opponents goalies saves and one canes goal, all in the whole 12 seconds of the hockey segment. Then 5 minutes on college basketball before the season even starts. I stopped watching local too. I'm the same, usually listen to chuck while the game is on in the other room with no volume and walk in occasionally to peek. Then i just stay in chat and watch nhl.com. while piddling around the house. Nhl.com has gotten a lot better on updating stats during the game.