The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

What will this season bring....

According to reported Peters comments on twitter it appears Lindy is good to go Friday, Dwyer might be, we could dress 7 D men, Murphy could see time up top, goalie still to be determined. We knew it was going to be a season of questions but geez, so many..so early.

Boychuk cleared waivers

I love the idea of Murphy on the wing!  Now let's really turn it loose!

E. Staal / Lindholm / Murphy

Tlusty / Rask / Semin

Murphy can carry, Lindholm can dish it, and Staal can bury it!

Doesn't help the bottom 6 though! :(

At this point I'm open to the experiement, but I don't share the enthusiasm for Murphy up front. He has to learn an entirely new position. Might go from a potentially special offensive dman to another boarderline 4th liner. We'll see.

I predict Gerbe buries a few more than predicted, he's looked really good from what I've seen of the preseason. The behind the back pass to Skinner and the goal from Semin stand out.

Staal has to step up, be a leader, 30 GOALS plus scorer.. no half measures, reaching with your stick as the skater  blows by you, a 2 way game ERIC, this could be your defining moment... Because, this coach isnt putting up with  crap...  ok,  Lindy can get 25 goals, i always love Gerbe,

Semin, shoot first, dont try for the perfect pass... I like rask.... Murphy is an enigma, all the potentional in the world, HE has to play like it, and believe it.. Defense is a problem... goaltender is going to be ok    [ especially  Cam].  I like to think we could be on the bubble, but it all has to fall right... without  Jeff for a period of time and  J.Staal  ,  will be tough... I ordered the CI again, if the ship goes off course, i will always watch... Hope Brown  shows something..Wish we had gone after Boychuck..Go Canes!

At this point I'm open to the experiement, but I don't share the enthusiasm for Murphy up front. He has to learn an entirely new position. Might go from a potentially special offensive dman to another boarderline 4th liner. We'll see.

You have seen him carry the puck right?

Seen him carry the puck and man .. he is fast.  Exciting to watch it until someone knocks him right off and he turns the puck over.. which seems to happen when he is challenged more than not,    I'm also in the don't think he's all he's supposed to be YET camp.  Hope I'm wrong though.  This injury to Skinnner makes me sick both for him and the team.  I won't go and on- many here have said it better but I sure hope there is a fundamental change in the team. A change that at least makes other teams think twice about cheap shots like that.

In 2009 Staal carried the team to the playoffs and to the ECF with a far far far less talented team.  Just saying....

Expect a lot of unexpected goals from our blue line this year.  We had 7 different d men score in the pre-season btw.

Edited by bluedevil58

Seen him carry the puck and man .. he is fast.  Exciting to watch it until someone knocks him right off and he turns the puck over.. which seems to happen when he is challenged more than not,    I'm also in the don't think he's all he's supposed to be YET camp.  Hope I'm wrong though.  This injury to Skinnner makes me sick both for him and the team.  I won't go and on- many here have said it better but I sure hope there is a fundamental change in the team. A change that at least makes other teams think twice about cheap shots like that.

He is not only fast, but he probably handles the puck as well as or better than anybody on the team.  He is small, gets knocked off the puck easily, and his exciting style leads to turnovers; however, all of those issues are greatly reduced if he is playing RW and has a pair of defensemen bihind him. I see him play and think Skinner.... 

I think he may end up being a much better forward than d-man.  The kid is talented and fast, but he gets used and abused in a defensive role.  Washington wore him out Sunday afternoon (along with the rest of our d).  I would love to see him stick at forward.  Judging by the way this season has started, Kudobin or Ward may be on the blue line before we get to Thanksgiving!!

I was optimistic about the season before camp.  All we needed was 1 prospect to step up.  We got that in a big way with Rask, but the injuries have me feeling very down.

Tlusty / Staal / Semin

Gerbe / Rask / Lindholm

Malone / McClement / Brown

Terry / Nash / Murphy

does not look near as promising as:

Staal / Staal / Semin (I know we weren't really looking at this combination, but the emergence of Rask has made it look realistic)

Skinner / Rask / Lindholm

Tlusty / Nash / Gerbe

Malone / McClement / Dwyer

That looks like a team that can compete!

Well I'm excited either way, getting off work Friday and going out to watch the Canes is my favorite kind of Fridays.

Peters said it best on Wral website, they are gonna have to be the hardest working team each night and the most defensively responsible each night to give themselves a chance right now with 2 of their top 6 out. I always say hold .500 early on or when things are bad and you give yourself a chance.

Thats all I'm hoping for right now, .500 through Thanksgiving and than we get our team back and anything can happen. That is as long as we don't continually lose our important guys to injuries all year.

I've seen him carry the puck from the back end with open ice. Not muck along the boards strong on the puck like cycling forwards have to. Part of what makes him unique is the level of stick handling and heads up creatitivy FOR a defenseman.

You seem to be suggesting that this is so obvious that anyone should see it. Well you may be right, but a pretty big slug of coaches and scouts and agents and etc have continued to play him in the defensive position.

Washington pummeled our entire team from the sounds of it. Skinner, a forward, faired pretty badly. Small forwards are more common, so I'll give you that. But there have been some very effective small dmen too.

The fact that Murphy might be an exceptional offensive dman, does not mean he will be an exceptional forward. He might be, but frankly I doubt it. It is a different skill set working down low.

At this point, with Murphy not jumping out as great on d, and our injury woes....whatever. If the coach wants to try it, fine. But I'd bet that he is not a significantly productive forward any more than Boychuk would have been.

My guess is it was messing around in practice, see how it looks, but I guess we'll see.

Edited by remkin

I have a hard time thinking he would be great on the boards or in the corner.  Idon't think those are Skinner's strong point either, which is why I think of his potential in terms of Skinner.  Also this, his lack of stegnth on the boards and in the corner as a forward is not as big of a problem as his lack stregnth on the boards and in front of the net as a defenseman.

If the experiment of Murphy at forward is going to happen, which I think is a good idea, I'd prefer it happen in Charlotte first.  I'd prefer an experienced winger who is defensively functional first, and I don't think LaRose is the guy despite playing right wing.

Latest piece on this from the PR department expresses hope that Dwyer will be ready, and if not it could be Murphy or someone could coming up from Charlotte. So they'll look at Murphy in practice these three days to see if he's a capable forward, and still have time to call up somebody if he's not, and Dwyer isn't ready. 

I know Dwyer doesn't exactly exude goals, but he's so good defensively,and with his speed he can help drive possession.   I sure hope he's ready on Friday.  I've always been a big fan of his contributions to the team, as a fly under the radar type of player.

That we might have no one in Charlotte that is a better option than playing a guy completely out of positions is not inspiring of great confidence.

Dwyer is a great case in point Coastal. Way better than rolling the dice on Murphy there.

Those pointing out our RW weakness are proven prescient.

Those suggesting one FA pick up might not have been a bad idea. Also right.

I think it's pretty obvious this is an evaluation year of the entire system.  With that said, I'm not at all surprised in the moves, or as some see it, the lack of moves.

I've seen him carry the puck from the back end with open ice. Not muck along the boards strong on the puck like cycling forwards have to. Part of what makes him unique is the level of stick handling and heads up creatitivy FOR a defenseman.

You seem to be suggesting that this is so obvious that anyone should see it. Well you may be right, but a pretty big slug of coaches and scouts and agents and etc have continued to play him in the defensive position.

Washington pummeled our entire team from the sounds of it. Skinner, a forward, faired pretty badly. Small forwards are more common, so I'll give you that. But there have been some very effective small dmen too.

The fact that Murphy might be an exceptional offensive dman, does not mean he will be an exceptional forward. He might be, but frankly I doubt it. It is a different skill set working down low.

At this point, with Murphy not jumping out as great on d, and our injury woes....whatever. If the coach wants to try it, fine. But I'd bet that he is not a significantly productive forward any more than Boychuk would have been.

My guess is it was messing around in practice, see how it looks, but I guess we'll see.

rem, and I wish I knew how to isolate on just portions of these statements, but in your 3rd paragraph, you say "Washington PUMMELED our entire team", and from the sounds of it, I totally agree. What I find even more interesting is that according to reports, they've even gone out and added to their armamentarium with another signing today!!!! Yet, here we stand with our thumb in an unspeakable place, fiddling the season away so that ostensibly we can "evaluate the entire roster". So, essentially, this is a "throw away" year. Color me disgusted and depressed.

Dwyer is a player that is never going to hurt the Canes when he is on the ice.  He is a role player that plays a specific role, and does it well.  He's not going to be a high scorer, but as Coastal said, his speed puts pressure on the opposition and he's responsible defensively.  He looks like he is shot out of a cannon sometimes. 

It's funny how you come to appreciate certain players on this team.  Patrick Dwyer is up at the top of this fans' list.  Been that way for a long time.

I've taken the heat over the years supporting Dwyer.  That's fine.

Pop Evil would ask "Who's Your Hero?

We need Dwyer back in the lineup.

Edited by coastal_caniac

You want a strange indicator of how shallow we are? The fact that our biggest player question at this point isn't this: how will a 21 yo kid with zero regular game NHL experience who hasn't demonstrated anything exceptional up until this camp and preseason do holding down the center position on our 2nd line? 

:couch:    

Patty Dwyer has been one of the best kept secrets of this team imo..... But, Its obvious Ron is working with an empty wallet, so no other choices, than to play the kids and any combination of lines imaginable...