The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I think we are about to see more wins once Skinner gets back. At least this team is winning face offs and scoring on the PP. This is a long season . By mid January and with Jordan's return we might a eat in to the 8th seed if this team remains close to .500. Our goal tending tandem is the best in the league.

I think we  will be in alot of close games, the shootout has to be learned by our Canes.. :)

Chris Terry is 3 of 4 lifetime.  We might win a few this year.

I like the optimism on here too. If you want to see us written off, just look, well just about anywhere else.

I would just like to see this team with all of it's horses in at least fairly good shape, at least for a while at some point.

I still think the core guys, if healthy can surprise. Plus, Francis has to see what Staal squared can do before considering breaking it up.

As to the idea that the system will get it done w/ our current line up....even I can't go there with you. BUT, if we get some guys some really key ice time on higher lines, then maybe, just maybe if we get at least E and Skinner back we can hang in there long enough to still be within eye site of the playoffs when J gets back. If that happens and we get some goaltending, then we could be the surprise of the year. A lot of "ifs", but it could happen. 

Edited by remkin

I think that is a bad point.  Given that the past 2 seasons our current line up had a horrible coach running a very bad system.  Our current system got us to OT against the Rangers without Gerbe, Sekera, Staal, Staal, and Skinner.  That's impressive.

I like a lot of what I am seeing from the coach. I see the team improving in little things each game. But if you honestly think a team with Nash as #1 center, Rask as #2 center, McClement as #3 center, and no Skinner, can be consistently good and put up points because the coach and system are so vastly superior....not sure you're saying that, but that's not a very good bet. At some point coaching and system has to be supplemented with line appropriate NHL talent.

Centers are the most important forwards and if they are in the top slots they need to produce actual points, or you are in trouble. Now Nash does have 3 points, so I guess I have to give him that, but he is not a #1 center to the eyeball test. Rask, while looking good, has put up goose eggs in the actual season sop far. 

I really like what I've seen from Nash and Rask so far, but both appear to be on track to be very good third line centers. Rask may have second line potential, though I don't count on it this year. But this team has only one center that can be considered a first liner and that's E. 

What is encouraging to me, is this:  If we get Skinner back and he is good to go and not too gun shy, then we get E. back, those two guys: then the emergence of Rask and Nash could be huge to keeping us around the cut line. Having Nash and Rask slotted 2-3, while not exciting, (at this point anyway), could be solid enough if we get: continued good PP, good goalie play, Semin back to at least par, Eric playing strong and healthy. Stay in the chase until J. gets back...

A lot of ifs, but currently we are seen by many nationally as one whisker above Buffalo at best, so what a nice surprise that would be.

As mentioned before, the level of talent we play out of the gate is bottom half. Even with that we have zero wins in 4 tries. It is hard to win on the road, but again, the 4 teams we play next are beatable. If we get 2 wins and say 5 points out of those 4 games, or better, that would be a good start. 

But the teams we play start getting generally better after the road trip, and really tough around mid November...

Edited by remkin

I am very excited to see the Skinner-Rask-Lindholm line. Rask has shown some nice chemistry with Lindholm as did Skinner last season. It has potential to be a dynamic scoring line. As most have been saying, the play from the young guys has me excited for the return of our more veteran players. If the Rask line with Skinner gels as well as I hope I'd like to keep them together even when Jordan returns. 

Staal - Staal - Semin

Skinner - Rask - Lindholm

Gerbe - Nash - Boychuk

Tlusty - McClement - Dwyer

The bottom 6 wingers are pretty interchangeable in that scenario but that looks like a solid lineup to me. The players are really buying into what Peters is coaching. Increasing the familiarity of the system along with slowly getting healthy is something to be excited about. 

This is a pretty optimistic view on the team but if the young guys can keep their confidence and chemistry going once the vets and leaders come back we can be a sneaky team.

November  is  a   keep your head above water month....Edmonton game would be nice to see  Ward in net, being his home..

I am very excited to see the Skinner-Rask-Lindholm line. Rask has shown some nice chemistry with Lindholm as did Skinner last season. It has potential to be a dynamic scoring line. As most have been saying, the play from the young guys has me excited for the return of our more veteran players. If the Rask line with Skinner gels as well as I hope I'd like to keep them together even when Jordan returns. 

Staal - Staal - Semin

Gerbe - Nash - Boychuk

The bottom 6 wingers are pretty interchangeable in that scenario but that looks like a solid lineup to me. The players are really buying into what Peters is coaching. Increasing the familiarity of the system along with slowly getting healthy is something to be excited about. 

This is a pretty optimistic view on the team but if the young guys can keep their confidence and chemistry going once the vets and leaders come back we can be a sneaky team.

At this point I'd put Nash over Rask and Terry over Boychuk.

At this point I'd put Nash over Rask and Terry over Boychuk.

I only kept Rask as 2C because he seems to have some nice chemistry with Lindholm and I think Skinner will be a nice fit on that line.

Terry over Boychuk is fine with me though. 

Staal - Staal - Semin

Gerbe - Nash - Boychuk

You have one of our top scorers on the fourth line, and the other not in the lineup at all.

I'm just saying...

I agree it will be interesting to see how things sort out when bodies come back, but for now I would keep Terry and Boychuck on the third line with Rask, let the young guns have at it. I would have Nash between Skinner and Lindholm, but I don't mind giving Rask a shot. Tlusty should remain a top 6 forward. The question is, where does that leave Gerbe? You could have a fourth line of Gerbe, Mclement, and Dwyer but that doesn't seem right. Like I said, it will be real interesting...

I am beginning to believe that the Hurricanes have in the past and continue to employ too many fragile players. I fully understand the toll that playing hockey puts on the human body, but this is getting ridiculous. Here we are again holding out the possibility of a good season when "blank" returns. Five games in and our so called top players are absent, along with some of our role players. Is it our training? When was the last time everybody, and I mean all of our team, were healthy and playing at the same time? Right now we wonder whe Eric will be back from his boo boo, in a few months we will be discussing when his slump will be over. Semin has disappeared, and can anyone guess when Faulk will be back? Can we start training our shooters not to aim for the logo on the opposing goalies chest? It's looking like we have a bunch of Chad LaRose clones in uniform.

On a lighter note: I am really pleased with Nash"s progress . Not top line guy yet but I still feel like he will get there. Also a great move to bring back Gleason 1.0. I like the original version better then the light version Muller brought out.

If you get a chance, read the Gretzky/Howe 20 questions. Interesting insight on turning back just before a hit.

Last season we loss both Khudobin and Ward. This season has been Eric, Jordan, Skinner, Gerbe, Liles, Dwyer.

Did we step on a Black Cat or something?

I read in Spector's Hockey yesterday the rumor Francis has been shopping for a forward but is reluctant to trade the future for the now. I was vocal in the off-season that we needed one more top-6 forward and when Jordan Staal went down I took some heat when I said we needed to make a move. I must admit at this point I'm not sure what is best. Five games in and realistically it is too early to say we are out of the hunt, after all the injured will return soon.  Yet it sure feels like we are out of the hunt and very soon the hole could be too large to overcome.

One way or another I think a trade must be made soon. Either move a vet to build the future or move a promising prospect to help the now. I really don't think inaction is an option.

I read in Spector's Hockey yesterday the rumor Francis has been shopping for a forward but is reluctant to trade the future for the now. I was vocal in the off-season that we needed one more top-6 forward and when Jordan Staal went down I took some heat when I said we needed to make a move. I must admit at this point I'm not sure what is best. Five games in and realistically it is too early to say we are out of the hunt, after all the injured will return soon.  Yet it sure feels like we are out of the hunt and very soon the hole could be too large to overcome.

One way or another I think a trade must be made soon. Either move a vet to build the future or move a promising prospect to help the now. I really don't think inaction is an option.

You can't play yourself into the playoffs in October but you sure as heck can play your way out and that is the direction this team is heading.

This team (again) is in a tough spot.

The loss of Jordan was unexpected. I do agree this team needs something. But who do you move?

Eric: His injuries since the Summer he has not had a chance to show what he could possibly do under this new system. He played two games and had a goal and an assist. When he returns at some point on this road trip, what can we expect out of him production wise. During the Summer, there were rumors that the Maple Leafs wanted Eric. Francis demanded high payment (Kadri was the only name I remembered; sure there were others and draft picks) Eric is owed around 8.25mil over this and the next season.

Alex: Where has he gone?  Is he incapable of playing without someone to feed him the puck? Is he pouting? Were we warned that his offensive upside was not worth it? Will he return to the offensive juggernaut we expect when Eric returns? Was he worth 7mil over this and the next 3 seasons?

Jordan: No one wants a player who is injured right now, so consideration should be low.

Cam: This discussion has been going on and on. He has had one bad game and one decent game so far this season.  But if he is moved, we may have to bring back another goalie and not the asset we are looking for? Will team's pay to get him? He is owed 6.3mil this season and next.

Anton: Only reason I am including him is because he maybe one of the few assets this team has that team's maybe interested in. He had a great season last year, but so far, has been pedestrian so far this season. But its early.

Goalies in general do take time to get in a grove (see Lundqvist). If they are not played on a consistent basis, they find it hard to get into the grove.  So the coaching staff will need to decide who will be 1A and 1B.

Calgary is a perfect example of a rebuild.  They moved Iginla and have been in rebuld mode since and are starting to reap those benefits, but it has taken time.   Do the Canes have the luxury of a rebuild, especially after losing quite a few season ticket holders after last season's debacle?

Whoever we move, if we move, we will end up paying part of the remainder of their contracts, which could further hamper this team to attract and bring in a TOP 6 forward.

Hopper I think you're basically onto the problem. We need a move for this year, but at this exact moment, we have no good moves in front of us. Especially when rule #1 is: In no way harm the long term plan.

Who do you trade? What is the return? 

Even if you want to go a bit crazy and trade Skinner due to his concussion history on a soft team, he is just coming off another concussion. What GM will give you full value for him? 

Semin has played himself into probably little value or return. 

Eric? That is the move that is supposedly there w/ Toronto. And you know what? If we could get their #1, and Kadri and a nice Dman? That deal might just look pretty good.....but he hasn't really had that chance to show his stuff this year. Again, a ppg two seasons ago, if he gets back into form he could bring himself and Semin back up. 

I wouldn't trade Anton period. Cam is still shaky and needs a change of scenery more than an inmate at San Quentin. His days as a Cane are numbered. You cannot win w/ weak goaltending, which is what we'd have if Khudobin went away. (It would greatly help in the Conner  McDavid race though). 

I put these in the game day too, but their worth noting again here:

Anton Khudobin had a markedly winning record last year with this team. This team. 

He is our best hope. Obi Wan Khudobin. 

Jordan? Both the injury and the salary make him pretty much unmovable. 

No, for now, I have to think we buckle up and ride this for a while. It's going to be bumpy....

Edited by remkin

Hopper I think you're basically onto the problem. We need a move for this year, but at this exact moment, we have no good moves in front of us. Especially when rule #1 is: In no way harm the long term plan.

Even if you want to go a bit crazy and trade Skinner due to his concussion history on a soft team, he is just coming off another concussion. What GM will give you full value for him? 

Eric? That is the move that is supposedly there w/ Toronto. And you know what? If we could get their #1, and Kadri and a nice Dman? That deal might just look pretty good.....but he hasn't really had that chance to show his stuff this year. Again, a ppg two seasons ago, if he gets back into form he could bring himself and Semin back up. 

I wouldn't trade Anton period. Cam is still shaky and needs a change of scenery more than an inmate at San Quentin. His days as a Cane are numbered. You cannot win w/ weak goaltending, which is what we'd have if Khudobin went away. (It would greatly help in the Conner  McDavid race though). 

Anton Khudobin had a markedly winning record last year with this team. This team. 

No, for now, I have to think we buckle up and ride this for a while. It's going to be bumpy....

I agree.

Before this season even began I had resigned myself to the fact that we're not making the playoffs, and that if we do, it will be an unexpected gift, one which guarantees this same group plays together next season and tries to build on such unexpected success. Assuming that doesn't happen, we will keep our promising youngsters and maybe Gerbe and Sekera, and everyone else will be on the block.

Five games in, three of which we've lost by one goal, my thinking is unchanged. Yes, last night sucked. But when you've missed the playoffs for five straight years and have new coaching and management, moving players in hopes of getting into the playoffs does nothing for you long-term, and teams that don't think long-term wind up in Phoenix and Atlanta and ultimately - if they are are LUCKY - Canada, where their lives are extended for a few more years. Then, if the failure remains chronic, they disappear.

Making a deal now for anyone but E, Cam or Semin mortgages the future, which is the opposite of what this team should be doing (and the opposite of what Ron has said he wants to do). And any deal - made now, at the deadline, or in the off-season - that does not return a first-round pick, a top-six forward and a solid Dman only prolongs our mediocrity with some different faces.

It will be painful, but IMO, it is better to stay the course: Commit to this group, push them to perform, and see what you get. Maybe they respond and you're pleasantly surprised (amazed is more like it) with a playoff berth, but assuming that's not the case, you deal when the dealing is better - the trade deadline if we're totally out of it, the off-season if we're not - and make deals that build on this team's young core. Any team willing to trade away a first-round pick and two solid skaters five games into the season for players with the recent records of E, Cam or Semin would have made that deal before the season started, and would really hear it from their fans if they made it now. And if the Canes trade away our future, Ronnie will surely hear it from us. 

Everybody knows they are playing for their jobs, and I think we're trying to see who responds. Tlusty clearly has. Rask, Terry and Nash have, almost beyond belief. Lindy and Sekera are solid. We know what Skinner can do, and we've seen Gerbe deliver big plays. Faulk's upside is crazy good. Beyond these players, I'm not sure anyone is back next year without a playoff berth. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I would listen to all trade inquiries. We might not get what we think is full value, but what is full value of under performing or injury prone players? Skinner might be one good hit from the end of his career. Eric might bring a good return, as would Anton. Cam's injury history and contract will make him hard to trade, even if can return to form. Right now, almost any trade for Semin would be a good trade. I think we are a long way from being a playoff team. It seems we have a good coach, but we have no depth, and a lot of guys making a lot of money that they are not earning. I think that a lot of gm's look at our assets, and see a lot of risk.

At this point, our best hope is for Semin to bolt to the KHL and we free up that cap space...because no one in their right mind would EVER shoulder Eric, Jordan, Cam or Semin's contracts in a trade.

I am still of the opinion that Cam and Anton can be that 1-2 punch in between the pipes.

I am not saying we should trade Anton, I am looking at our team, as any GM would, and see what pieces interest me the most, skill wise and financially.  Khudobin is definitely one I'd be interested in, especially if I have a need at that position.  Another would be Eric He still has some value.  Perhaps in a role where he can just go out there and play and not worry about being the face of a franchise or leader of the team. Faulk would be another piece I'd look at as well as Tlusty and Sekera.

As stated many times before, we have a lot of bad contracts and players under-performing those contracts.

I believe that our best hope is to strap in for a rough ride and see what falls out as we get people back from injury.

Edited by hopper915

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Nathan Gerbe gave it a go on the ice before practice. Eric Staal skating with the team in a no-contact sweater again.

We are getting closer to dressing a team we had hoped to have on the ice back in training camp.  Obviously without J but still close to the team we had imagined.

I would not expect any trades immediately. BP/RF still need to evaluate the team as a whole,without injuries before tossing the first grenade.I do think they have some initial thoughts on some players on their individual games performance and how some have/have not stepped up during the critical injuries.We need more time and hopefully some improvement of our top paid players to raise their game to receive any value in a trade.If they do not raise their game the question on the table is what is their value? We may have to eat some salary to be able to trade a Ward/Staal/Semin.....I think the NTC's may not end up to be a problem as the longer this season goes on with continual loosing results,the players in question may want to get off the Titanic. So far we have not played any top teams,so be prepared to see 5-0,6-1,6-2 type of games once we get into the meat of the schedule.I did enjoy watching the young guns in the Buffalo game but see myself becoming less interested and more disengaged with results similar to the Jets game. My only hope is that RF/BP do not take a full season to initiate change. No reason to waste an entire year before making a move, if a move can be made.