The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

In 2013/14 the Flyers started the season 1-7 and made the playoffs. There are plenty of examples of mid-season teams under .500 that have come back to make a playoff run. I don't think we can count the Canes out just yet. But until we are healthy we won't know.

I will say there are some of us (myself included) that aren't wondering how good this team can be but are questioning just how bad can this team really be.

I don't think it makes us less of a fan. I don't think it means we aren't hoping they can turn it around. I do think it means that this team has to show something to convince many of us (me) that they have the talent to get the job done.

Totally Agree and while I understand the joking etc.. I guess my point was it really isn't funny either :)

Well it's funnier than zero wins in 7 games. 

But, really it's just laugh so you don't cry. And no, it's not hilarious, but until this team wins at least one game, gotta find a way to cope.

If you go way back to the beginning of last year you'll find my post on why I thought we had a playoff team last year. I kept the faith even when it put me out on my own Island. Despite the beating we all took with this exact team last year, I still hold out hope that the initial hypothesis was correct and this team has the horses. 

The thing is that we have a few thoroughbreds and a bunch of nice riding horses. When the thoroughbreds go down, we are exposed. We are not Detroit. We do not have NHL ready guys backing up in Charlotte. And even if a guy like Rask can be an NHL producer, it takes guys not named Skinner a while to find that offense at the NHL level. That is not unusual, but you can't count on them while they're finding it.

IF this team, as structured, can stay healthy at the top, and start getting some improvement in a few key areas:

1. Goaltending. I believe in our guys, especially Khudini, but they need to start brining the A game.

2. Semin, start showing up.

3. Faulk, get back to consistency.

4. Linholm starting to put up offense.

5. Skinner has to find his game post concussion.

6. E. must drive the train.

7. Gerbe secondary scoring, 35 points.

8. Solidify the 3-4 defensive spots, tighten the coverage around the net.

We can make a run. I have no doubt about it....IF those things happen. That is a bunch of "ifs" though.

In general, I do think the team will improve as guys get back and the system tightens up. And we are on a road trip....BUT the actual teams we play really toughens up around Nov 15, so we better figure it out soon.

Edited by remkin

I think Lindy Nash Skinner can be a productive line...Nash is not J for sure but he's been effective, that group has had some success and won't be seeing the top defensive lines. Special Teams will be a little better and when Gerbe gets back, I think we'll see a much, much better product on the ice

Another loss. The Curse of Chantel McCabe continues! With her suspension over tomorrow, surely this mean a long winning streak is in the offing? I'm open to any superstitious mojo at this point....

Edited by Red_Storm

It ain't gonna happen. Might as well lose as many as possible and go for the high pick. Not that they should lose on purpose, but losing badly is better than winning just enough to miss tha playoffs on the last game of the year. Over the past 8 years we basically hope every one of our players has a career year in order for us to win. Usually one of two guys have a career year but the rest of the team struggles. For ex look at Dobby last year, same for Sekera and Gerbe. Unfortunately, those three guys aren't gonna get you there on their own. You need Staal, Staal, Skinner, and Semin to be their best. They weren't. They typically haven't been their best since playin here. Next year is a total rebuild. RF will do this finally.

I thought Staal looked good for his first game back, Skinner is playing well from an offensive standpoint but made some mistakes on the other side, Tlustly looks good and Semin is just lost right now...I think we will be better in the coming weeks but better just makes us barely competitive at this point. We HAVE to get one of the next two or the rails might just completely come off.

In case you needed another reason to be hyped about Connor McDavid: He literally caused a puck to explode during Tuesday’s practice by firing a shot off the crossbar.

Jay McKee, who is McDavid’s assistant coach with the OHL’s Erie Otters and a veteran of 802 NHL games, provided some photographic evidence:

McDavid is an early frontrunner to be selected with the first overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft and is regarded as a potential franchise cornerstone. He has 11 goals and 34 points in 12 OHL games this season.

HOLY SHYZA. 34 POINTS IN 12 GAMES?!

B1D2N0YIUAAheJe.jpg

Edited by raleighcaniac

Murphy needs to convert to forward, or go to Charlotte. He can still play point on the pp, but he can't play defence at a NHL level.

Yet. And I have always believed he would end up a forward.

In case you needed another reason to be hyped about Connor McDavid: He literally caused a puck to explode during Tuesday’s practice by firing a shot off the crossbar.

Jay McKee, who is McDavid’s assistant coach with the OHL’s Erie Otters and a veteran of 802 NHL games, provided some photographic evidence:

McDavid is an early frontrunner to be selected with the first overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft and is regarded as a potential franchise cornerstone. He has 11 goals and 34 points in 12 OHL games this season.

HOLY SHYZA. 34 POINTS IN 12 GAMES?!

B1D2N0YIUAAheJe.jpg

This looks impressive (and is) but this happens at all levels, Juniors on up, if the puck is cold enough. Just physics. If McKee has never seen it before he has been ignoring it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

We lost to Buffalo already.  I would think that makes us worse than them, or maybe I am looking at it wrong?  Has Florida won a game?  Let's face the factsand be honest, we SUCK HORRIBLY!!  I don't like it either but it is what it is.  And it is hilarious to see people put up here we lost because of the refs.  The damn refs don't have a stick!  I have yet to see a ref score a goal for the other team.  They make bad calls or fail to make calls from time to time but we don't have the size, talent or $ to compete this year...plain and simple.  That is REALITY....and it ain't fun.

A couple of things.

One, Peters benched Semin for the last 10 minutes of the game saying, "he'd played enough'. It was reportedly due to the unsportsman-like penalty, but I wonder if Peters has decided he's had enough of Semin. Oddly, he looked good early. I wonder if he responds to this or sulks? He responded when JR called him out last year. Also, in the Francis article on this website, Francis kind of gave a pass to the AHLers trying to find their game, but said, there are "individuals that can and need to play better." But it was pretty vague, not directed straight at Semin. 

Canescounty pointed out in last nights game: That McClemment, Boychuk and Terry as a line managed zero shots and one shot attempt for the entire game. 

Yikes. Someone is heading back to Charlotte soon. If Dwyer and Gerbe get back, maybe two. I don't know about Terry, but Boychuk has to be running out of time to show up more on offense.

On the other hand, Boychuk and Terry are the only plus players on the team.

Semin on the other hand....minus 7. 

Can we send Semin to Charlotte? (I'm kidding. Kind of...).

One thing I can't understand for the life of me is why did they take Lindholm out of the corner on the PP and put him in the high/middle slot? He's been there since the start of the season and I was confused the first time I saw it.

His play/passes out of the corners were his highlights last year and that is where he did his best work (even in Sweden).

I just can't figure out why the hell they moved him from his best position, it makes zero sense.

Edited by Kyrule

That's a good point Kyrule. I also recall some slick plays from Linholm down low last year.

Also, our PP has suddenly come back to Earth, not to bring up another thing...