The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Actually, if you want to send Semin a message, and he needs one, send him to Charlotte. 2 weeks of riding busses might wake him up. He'd have to clear waivers, but no one is going to touch that contract. My only question is whether he has a No Movement Clause, which if he does, I think prevents us from sending him to Charlotte as well as trading him without his consent. We are not getting a $7 million dollar performance from him(or even close)at this point. A move like that might be the wakeup call to the whole team that theyare all accountable for effort (and results).

Using injuries as an excuse is not something I usually buy into. BUT ... I've never seen a team so thin in the first place lose so many of its top players in the first 2 weeks of a season. Our top 2 centers for most of these games have been Nash (marginal 3rd line center in his first full NHL season last year) and Rask (an AHL center with not particularly impressive stats there last year). Still, neither goalie has played a great game, and our defense, where we have not had the injury bug so much, has been subpar.

Losing breeds losing, and unless we get some W's quick, the season is going to be lost. Then we race Buffalo for the bottom.

I don't know where to put this so here goes.

I have never seen a more disorganized bunch of professional athletes than this current Hurricanes team. These guys just don't seem to give a ----, they don't play together, hell they don't even skate together, they just go through the motions and "meh" their way through 60 minutes of play.

I'm incredibly frustrated with this team at this time. They just don't seem to care. Last season the Calgary Flames had one of the worst rosters I've ever seen for an NHL team but in the 5-6 games I saw from them, they had a work ethic I wish our team had.

I really don't like the current direction we're going in, we've taken a huge step backwards and for this market, that's not a good thing. 

Capt, have to disagree with ya, i think they care,  just not enough talent on the ice....I see alot of effort, just cant get it done.. I will agree positionally wise, at times they seem lost... I think with E back, then get skinner, maybe Semin???  lindy, and gerbe  it will  help... Cant give up 8 games in, alot of people are, i wont.. Lets see where we stand in about a month, november tough month..

Actually, if you want to send Semin a message, and he needs one, send him to Charlotte. 2 weeks of riding busses might wake him up. He'd have to clear waivers, but no one is going to touch that contract. My only question is whether he has a No Movement Clause, which if he does, I think prevents us from sending him to Charlotte as well as trading him without his consent. We are not getting a $7 million dollar performance from him(or even close)at this point. A move like that might be the wakeup call to the whole team that theyare all accountable for effort (and results).

I don't believe Semin has any clause in his contract. Semin wouldn't give a puck if he went to Charlotte...he still gets paid 7 mil a season.Eric is quickly coming out of being the number one target for a trade at some point in the season.If play continues as is Semin will be the no.1 trade potential as he does not have a NTC. The question is any team desperate enough to make that trade if they are in the hunt for the playoffs. 

The not using injuries as an excuse thing is for coaches and players. They must push on and try to overachieve. But in honest analysis is has to factor in. If not one is really just spouting cliches.

This injury stretch has been severe. That must be accounted for. Loss of #1 center and #2 center, and #1 winger is not minor. These guys are replaced with one solid bottom 6 center Nash, and one not quite top 9 NHL ready prospect: Rask. But then we also lose two guys who could have slid up fairly well in Gerbe and Dwyer. That is basically 5 of our top 9 including the top 3. Then fold in a listless Russian and you've basically lost 6 of 9. Then add in a struggling 19 year old Swede that will be very very good, but is....19, and you're down to 2/9 forwards. and who are they? Nash and Tlusty.

Our effective top 9: Nash and Tlusty.

We do not presently, as in right this minute, have the organizational depth to deal with that. Boychuk, Terry, Rask, Sutter, McClemment, Malone,  are not enought to add to Nash and Tlusty.

Add to that two goalies that have not found their game. Admittedly they've been left out to dry, but each of them in the past has shown an ability to rise above that, stand on their heads and give a bit of a rag tag team a chance. That has not yet happened.

Of course the defense has issues too, so you get to no wins.

But...adding depth is one thing. Total rebuild assumes that the key pieces need to go. And, as hard as it is to say, we need to at leat get some games with E, Gerbe and Dwyer back. It would be nice to see Lindholm find that offense and of course Semin needs to at least find his B plus game. With those things we would still be down J, but could at least get some idea..

The multimillion dollar long term crux of the matter issue is both Staals. Some might say last year was enough to make that move, but personally I want to see both over a stretch this year.

So Francis keeps kicking the tires on trades and finding only bald scraggly tires offered, so we wait and keep evaluating. E. and Gerbe back, sliding people down, should lead to at least a near .500 team or better if one of our goalies start feeling it.

Again, hard as it is, stay the course. Don't make any rash moves. First do no harm. Think long term.

Edited by remkin

I don't think Semin has recovered from his wrist injury. Thinking back to the shootouts we have had Semin tries a slap shot and the next shootout a backhand. REALLY a guy with a lethal snap shot and wrist shot. Watching the other night he attempted a cross ice pass and it was way off the mark. I'm not sure this isn't a result of the wrist injury and I think he has lost his confidence.

This shouldn't excuse him from the lack of back checking and board work or from speaking out of turn to a ref. I'm just saying it may be his recovery is adding to his problems.

Sutter and Murphy have been sent to Charlotte

Canes News

I'm a little surprised by the Murphy news. It appeared to me we were going to let him learn on the go. At the same time it was becoming clear that he wasn't quite as NHL ready as some (me) suspected. He now knows what it takes to play at the NHL level and some time spent in Charlotte to sharpen his game shouldn't hurt. 

I still think we are about to make a move but this could just be clearing roster spots for returning players.

I don't think Semin has recovered from his wrist injury. Thinking back to the shootouts we have had Semin tries a slap shot and the next shootout a backhand. REALLY a guy with a lethal snap shot and wrist shot. Watching the other night he attempted a cross ice pass and it was way off the mark. I'm not sure this isn't a result of the wrist injury and I think he has lost his confidence.

This shouldn't excuse him from the lack of back checking and board work or from speaking out of turn to a ref. I'm just saying it may be his recovery is adding to his problems.

OB, I was wondering the same thing.   And to others, I don't believe Semin doesn't care. I've noticed frustration from him several times this season.  I do think he may be responding poorly to adversity (be it personal or team).  That;s still not acceptable, but it's a bit different from not caring.  

From Practice

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  16m 16 minutes ago

Skinner on line with EStaal, Semin in practice. Nash centers Gerbe, Lindholm.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes  ·  15m 15 minutes ago

Jiri Tlusty not practicing today. He blocked a shot Tuesday night in Vancouver that hobbled him a bit if I remember correctly.

Nathan Gerbe and Patrick Dwyer continue to practice with contact. Bodes well for their status heading into the weekend.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  12m 12 minutes ago

Tlusty off ice today. Rask centers Terry, Boychuk. McClement with Malone, Dwyer.

This looks like a lineup that can win some games. I'm thinking Tlusty will be alright to go by the weekend. I hope so anyway.

We lost to Buffalo already.  I would think that makes us worse than them, or maybe I am looking at it wrong?  Has Florida won a game?  Let's face the factsand be honest, we SUCK HORRIBLY!!  I don't like it either but it is what it is.  And it is hilarious to see people put up here we lost because of the refs.  The damn refs don't have a stick!  I have yet to see a ref score a goal for the other team.  They make bad calls or fail to make calls from time to time but we don't have the size, talent or $ to compete this year...plain and simple.  That is REALITY....and it ain't fun.

Dude, our actual roster doesn't suck. The one we're forced to play with doesn't suck either - it's just an AHL roster trying to cope in the NHL, and while O for October is tough to take, the experience these kids are getting at NHL speed right now will pay huge dividends down the line. We're not making the playoffs this year. Repeat it. Get over it. Embrace it. 

remkin wrote:

That's a good point Kyrule. I also recall some slick plays from Linholm down low last year.

Also, our PP has suddenly come back to Earth, not to bring up another thing...

I replied: My guess is Peters has decided that as long our top guys are out, let's try to round out the expertise we do have. Lindy doesn't learn what to do in the high slot by staying in the corner. I think Peters is committed to making the most of the bad situation we faced to open the season by trying everybody everywhere. Maybe something good happens, maybe not, but regardless, your players' minds get stretched and with so many youngsters, that's a distraction that is important when the going is this tough.

I'm thinking only Terry and Rask stick once everybody is healthy, and Lindy gets to play where he is most effective and comfortable. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I'm thinking only Terry and Rask stick once everybody is healthy, and Lindy gets to play where he is most effective and comfortable. 

I'm not so sure Terry will stick. When healthy we have Tlusty, Skinner, Gerbe and Malone down the left side. We could carry him as an extra but it might be better to get him playing time in Charlotte. The advantage of Charlotte is he is only a short ride away if needed. I'm thinking Boychuk might stick. He hasn't been scoring but he sure was banging the other night. 

Rask will stay out of necessity at least until J gets back. He has played well but if he wants to stay as a third line center he will need to put some points up. So far he hasn't. At this point in time Nash is the better center. 

Rask is a great example of a guy trying to find NHL regular season speed. He doesn't look out of place, but needs to find that next level. He had it at NHL preseason speed, so he is close.

He needs to be an "NHL playmaker with some timely goals" kind of guy. He wa sure looking like it in pre season. Some guys just never take that next step up (Bowman, Dalpe, so far Boychuk, etc). Nash is getting there....but some guys gradually build and after 80-100 games starts clicking offensively.

Last year I was thinking Rask would be a perma AHLer, but again, what a great preseason!

Rask will benefit strongly from his NHL time even if he ends up back in Charlotte after J gets back.

It will be really interesting if Rask starts making some offensive plays, to see what happens when J does get back. Right now Nash has the clear inside track, but Rask at least at times really seems to have more offensive upside.

Edited by remkin

I need more time on Rask, of all the rookies playing on line's above their skill level none was as severe as our 21 year old  with only 2 NHL games under his belt becoming our first line center. Hat's off to him, that's a helluva way to start your NHL career. Was he good? No, but did the Hurricanes really put him in a position to succeed thus far....hell no.

My assessment of him begins now with him on a line I think he's more suited to currently handle.

Edited by legend-1

He wasn't good but was he a liability?  I tend to think not.  I think he performed well given his experience.  Center is like the hardest position on the ice aside from the goalie.

Dude, our actual roster doesn't suck. The one we're forced to play with doesn't suck either - it's just an AHL roster trying to cope in the NHL, and while O for October is tough to take, the experience these kids are getting at NHL speed right now will pay huge dividends down the line. We're not making the playoffs this year. Repeat it. Get over it. Embrace it. 

I didn't say the roster sucked, although parts of it IMO do.  When you haven't won a game and you start with 8 straight losses, it is hard to find other adjectives to fit the description, which is why I used the term sucks.  Very sorry to have rubbed you wrong with my opinion of where we are.  You have a great day!!  I have embraced it and I am over it.

Clearly it is going to be an uphill battle to make the playoffs even if we get healthy since we're in a hole and as of yet have not even stopped digging. 

It is a great year to compile draft picks if it comes to that due to a historically rich draft, but here's another angle. 

At the moment it also seems like a great year to try to make the playoffs in the East. Looking at the standings and overall goal differential, at the moment, about 10 games in, there are only two elite teams: Pittsburgh and Tampa. 10/16 teams are even or minus on goal differential and outside of Tampa and Pittsburgh even the leaders are not very positive . Yes MTL is 8-2-1, but they are even on goal diff and have 3 OT and 2 1 goal wins. Chances are they fall back a bit. 

Just saying that looking at the East right now....coming in 8th does not look like the biggest challenge in the history of hockey. 

This team needs a winning streak. 

They have E. back. Gerbe and Dwyer probably too. 

For the first time we should have the full complement sans J. 

I guess we'll see...

Edited by remkin

I'm not so sure Terry will stick. When healthy we have Tlusty, Skinner, Gerbe and Malone down the left side. We could carry him as an extra but it might be better to get him playing time in Charlotte. The advantage of Charlotte is he is only a short ride away if needed. I'm thinking Boychuk might stick. He hasn't been scoring but he sure was banging the other night. 

Rask will stay out of necessity at least until J gets back. He has played well but if he wants to stay as a third line center he will need to put some points up. So far he hasn't. At this point in time Nash is the better center. 

You may be right about Boychuk. What Terry brings on the shootout could tip the scales his way, though. (I'm awaiting the day when teams are permitted to carry three designated shooters in addition to the regular roster spots. They come to the game in civvies and when the game goes to a shootout they don skates, jersey and helmet and settle the matter. How cool would that be?!) 

As for who stays when J gets back, I think a lot will have to do with what centers have the best FO percentages, given Peters' commitment to developing a puck-possession team. By that point they'll have a solid body of FO data to look at. But there is also the question of whether E Staal moves to his brother's wing, something Peters said he wants to try. Indeed, it could be that whether the Staal brothers can produce some family chemistry will determine if E is here after the trade deadline. If not, I'll take the brother with the better front-of-net presence and higher FO percentage.  

Edited by top-shelf-1

Rask is a great example of a guy trying to find NHL regular season speed. He doesn't look out of place, but needs to find that next level. He had it at NHL preseason speed, so he is close.

He needs to be an "NHL playmaker with some timely goals" kind of guy. He wa sure looking like it in pre season. Some guys just never take that next step up (Bowman, Dalpe, so far Boychuk, etc). Nash is getting there....but some guys gradually build and after 80-100 games starts clicking offensively.

Last year I was thinking Rask would be a perma AHLer, but again, what a great preseason!

Rask will benefit strongly from his NHL time even if he ends up back in Charlotte after J gets back.

It will be really interesting if Rask starts making some offensive plays, to see what happens when J does get back. Right now Nash has the clear inside track, but Rask at least at times really seems to have more offensive upside.

In all honesty, and if our personnel remains the same next year (which is a big if, but I'd really like the brothers Staal to just light it up with Tlusty when J gets back), I'd rather Nash and Rask stick as second- and fourth-line centers respectively.

So, E to first-line wing, Nash back with Skins and Lindy, McClement centers the third and Rask gets experience-appropriate minutes on the fourth.

And Semin to Edmonton. :lol:  

I didn't say the roster sucked, although parts of it IMO do.  When you haven't won a game and you start with 8 straight losses, it is hard to find other adjectives to fit the description, which is why I used the term sucks.  Very sorry to have rubbed you wrong with my opinion of where we are.  You have a great day!!  I have embraced it and I am over it.

oh, it takes a bunch more than anything you said to rub me the wrong way! Our record sucks, for sure. I just think we have to keep perspective; we've been down - what, six? - NHL forwards for most of our first eight games. In some ways we're lucky to even have TWO points! You have a good day too, and I'm sorry if my reply came off as harsh. I tend to be about as subtle as the Durham Bull in an Outback Steak House...

Edited by top-shelf-1