The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Don't get me wrong. I am SURE that Francis would move Semin in a heartbeat for return. But to move him to clear cap space only helps if you have someone to put in that cap space.

Any time a stud gets press boxed it's knee jerk journalism that the GM would "love to move him".

When I hear it from Dregger or McKensie I'll take more notice.

Don't do it unless there is some kind of return.

Edited by remkin

right now. don't think we can get more than a couple cases of rock-gut  vodka for the guy

Edited by colliefan

The best thing that can happen is that Semin gets back into the lineup and shows up. There are very few teams, if any, that will take a chance on him in the best of situations. We did and for that he owes us the best he has got. If he finds that elite game he showed after we signed him it gives us options.

The best thing that can happen is that Semin gets back into the lineup and shows up. There are very few teams, if any, that will take a chance on him in the best of situations. We did and for that he owes us the best he has got. If he finds that elite game he showed after we signed him it gives us options.

Exactly. And for everyone really. The injuries just put us into a tailspin. Now we've seemingly stopped the spin, and righted the plane, we're still flying very low, but not crashing... OK didn't mean to  drift into a metaphor...

The point is that our overpriced assets are nearly all by extension, undervalued. They are pretty much all worth more to us that anyone would give us for them. Our job is to get them turned around and contribute to this team.

The thing the last two games have shown is that if we can get everyone bought in, we could be that team that some of us imagined at the start of last year. Personally I think everyone now is bought in. Will Semin buy in? Well if he doesn't now, he never will, and then, maybe he is worth cutting lose just to lose the salary. But not now.

Eric is actually playing pretty well. Worth the money? Maybe not, but worth having. Did some of you missed what we looked like without him?

The best thing that is currently happening is Cam. If he can string together a long stretch of looking like a true #1.....A. We turn this thing around. B. If we don't we get something good for him.

This is going to sound crazy, but I really want to see what Staal squared can do with one last chance. The J. injury has really helped us develop some yutes, but really hurts seeing what the Staals might do given one more chance.

This is just me floating ideas out there, but one rebuild could involve moving Ward and Semin and keeping the Staals. :couch: .

Another rebuild to me might be to move Semin, Ward and E. but keep J. This would assume E. brings the kind of return that includes at least a nice top 6 center and a first rounder in this years draft.

Right now, we just need to get our team and as many assets as possible back to their full potential. Then at least we have more viable options than salary dumps.

Nobody is going to offer anything for Semin.  Forget a decent return.  Throw him on the waiver wire and watch him go through untouched. 

RF and BP can then say...

"Now Alex, you've been scratched 2 games, which the Canes won without you.  You have cleared waivers which means no team in the league wants you and your contract.  The puck's in your court.  What are you going to do now?  You can play NHL hockey at an NHL hockey intensity or ride the bus in Charlotte".

If somebody grabs him, then RF has just saved $28M,

Edited by super_dave_1

Just to be clear, I agree, no one will offer anything for Semin or Ward currently. They are the two most untradeable guys on the team.

But I would wait on the waiver wire idea. That is probably the next step if Semin continues to defy the system.

But I distinctly remember JR calling Semin out last year, and thinking, "I wonder how Semin responds to this?" He responded by playing very well on a bad wrist.

He's been scratched two games and watched the team finally win without him. He's been called out much more harshly than JR ever did. I am betting he responds strongly. If he does, and gets to his potential, he might fetch something at the deadline, assuming we don't turn this thing around.

Just to be clear, I agree, no one will offer anything for Semin or Ward currently. They are the two most untradeable guys on the team.

But I would wait on the waiver wire idea. That is probably the next step if Semin continues to defy the system.

I agree Semin is probable as close to untradeable as any player in the NHL.  I will disagree on Ward. Even in the loses Ward-0 has been significantly better this season although not the lights out goalie of the past. The last two games he has looked more like the Cam Ward we remember.  The team in front of him has been better but that just reinforces the thought on a really good team he can be a solid goalie.

I have seen and heard some good things being said about Ward around the out of town media this season.  Of course his stock could fall again but right now it is rising. I think he will get interest from some teams. I think he is trade-able.

(I am not advocating keeping or moving Ward. Only pointing out IMO his value is rising )

This is the very first time in 5 years that I can honestly say that we are crashing and putting bodies on the net on a consistent basis.  It is just not one player doing it like years past.  It looks as though all lines have been told to crash the net whereas in seasons past we relied on the rush to net us goals.

I wouldn't be all to surprised if we turn this around.  The season is still early but there are glimpses of hope.  I am also glad that our prospects are doing well for a change.  Boychuck and Terry both look good and Rask is going to be a really good center one day.  Nash is playing well too and Lindholm is becoming a power forward.  This is a long season and anything can happen but last night this team beat the champs.

By the way, Bellmore played awesome too.

Well I would agree that Ward's stock is rising, but it's kind of just getting out of penny stock range. Not sure any GM would pick up that salary and give up something good based on two games...but if so...hmmm at least listen to offers.

I will add this. Ward still has some name value. He was fairly well respected at one time and if he gets his game back his stock will rise much faster than most goalies.

Still wouldn't really consider trading Ward until Khudobin shows up.

Edited by remkin

One thing I do see Peters starting to do is to slot players in the right position.  In the past, Boychuk would have been on the 4th line in a role he had no hope of doing well in.  Dwyer on the 4th makes a lot of sense if he is going to roll 4 lines. 

It seems like before that the top guy in Charlotte would get the call up, regardless of the positional need. If this was a baseball team, it would be like the 3rd baseman getting hurt and the team calling up a catcher to replace him.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  25s 25 seconds ago

Skinner in white jersey and Semin in red. Line switch may have Semin back with Staal and Tlusty. Practice about to begin

Against the dogs I thought Skinner looked really good on the top line. Against the Kings not so much. Yet its difficult to evaluate a player game by game. I would be comfortable with Skinner up top but at the same time Peters has to be allowed to find out just what he has and where the pieces fit best.

WHO WANTS TO START THE CBJ GAME DAY

My GDT Game Day starts are so bad when I look up I can see the bottom. So it won't be me.

I thought Skinner looked and played like crap yesterday.

More hammer swinging?  Skinner with McClement and Dwyer in practice today.

We are going to need a hammer swinging emoticon.

Semin out for 2 games, 2 wins.  What do you do now and how short a leash does Peters give him.  Tricky situation for a Coach.  It will be interesting to see how Peters handles it and the response that Semin brings.

Has to be very hard to mess with something that's working, even in the absence of the $7 million dollar man.  If he would return to what he is capable of, could get very interesting.

I realize I may be dancing to the beat of a different drummer, but I still think this team is better long term with a bought in, motivated Semin than with him in the press box. The bought in, and motivated part just feels like now is the right time to bring him out of exile.

He has been spanked. Then spanked some more. At some point the response turns to anger and not the good motivating anger.

The sales job to motivate the right kind of play from Alex could swing back if we leave him up there and the team loses a couple.

Right now, the argument that this team is better without "Bad" Semin is at it's peak. "Look Alex. The team playing the right way with you out has two wins including vs. the Champs back to back. The team playing the wrong way with you was winless. We want you to be part of this. Can you do it? Now is the time to show us. Let's go!"

Edited by remkin

As of right now we do not know who this team is.  The math changes based on how this team plays If you told me that Terry and Nash would be on pace for 58 points this off season I would have laughed and thought you were a complete homer.  If we are now seeing a team that has bought into the system and if we truly do have a skilled coach then we have no idea what this team can do.

Can someone please tell me the last time we were number one in the league in face offs and where this team was actually crashing the net going for garbage goals on a consistent line by line basis?  We have not seen that since the Brindy days.  It's too early to tell who this team is but we will get a good idea by the end of November.  I will stand by my statement and put my cards down.  If this team remains close to .500 when Jordan returns then we will likely make the playoffs.

It's still early and this is a long season.  But these last 2 games kind of showed me a glimpse of a team that has bought into the new system.  Let's see how November plays out.  All I know is that as of right now the team is 6 points out of a playoff spot and the Metro division sucks/ is decimated by injuries.

Edited by bluedevil58

As of right now we do not know who this team is.  The math changes based on how this team plays If you told me that Terry and Nash would be on pace for 58 points this off season I would have laughed and thought you were a complete homer.  If we are now seeing a team that has bought into the system and if we truly do have a skilled coach then we have no idea what this team can do.

Can someone please tell me the last time we were number one in the league in face offs and where this team was actually crashing the net going for garbage goals on a consistent line by line basis?  We have not seen that since the Brindy days.  It's too early to tell who this team is but we will get a good idea by the end of November.  I will stand by my statement and put my cards down.  If this team remains close to .500 when Jordan returns then we will likely make the playoffs.

It's still early and this is a long season.  But these last 2 games kind of showed me a glimpse of a team that has bought into the new system.  Let's see how November plays out.  All I know is that as of right now the team is 6 points out of a playoff spot and the Metro division sucks/ is decimated by injuries.

We might need to rename it BlueDevil Island.

Funny thing is, if Cam keeps this up and Semin does come back and buy in....I might buy a condo on it.

Okay, so say the two games is enough for Semin.

Whatever Peters does, I really hope he keeps the Nash and Rask lines intact. 

If he wants to keep those lines intact, I guess the only option is to move Skinner down with McClement if he wants to put Semin back in the lineup.  So, as an edit to my previous post, maybe moving Skinner down isn't necessarily a hammer swing, so to speak.

I'll be interested to see what happens the first time Semin stops inside the offensive blue line with the puck and kills the coordinated drive to the net.  Personally, I think that's what's primarily gotten him in the doghouse to begin with.  It also drives me crazy.

The Nash and Rask lines have done a great job entering the o-zone together with speed, and it seems to me that's what Peters is looking for.  It's also resulting in goals.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If Peters can get Semin to play less Charmin soft it will be an accomplishment.  He's gotten away with it under Muller, but it's pretty clear that's not going to cut the mustard with Pastor Bill.

Edited by coastal_caniac

According to Chip, Semin is back in and Skinner was indeed skating w/ McClement.

http://www.newsobser...99/103/400/120/

Clearly that can't be the final solution, but maybe there is a message being sent to Skinner too...

I think Semin stopping inside the blueline and looking for trailers isn't a terrible move if he draws the defense and there are trailers, but if the coach wants him to keep driving deep, then we'll see if he does it. Mainly the guy just needs to play at full speed and at least 90% intensity.

It is interesting that in some ways the Charlotte line is partially messing up the assumed lines w/ Semin back. Not in a bad way. That and Gerbe driving things the way the coach wants.

Gotta think we see Skinner back w/ Nash and Lindholm before long.

Edited by remkin

Semin stopping inside the blueline in and of itself appears to be against the 3-men deep philosophy of Peters system.  Doesn't he want the defensman in that spot Semin continues to occupy?  He's said as much.

So, Semin stopping isn't really "bad", it's just not the play the coach is asking for, hence the comment from the coach that he needs to be "moving his feet and playing at an NHL pace".  He also said "stopping" only aided in the opposition (who are playing at league speed) closing gaps on guys that were open and in position to receive a pass.  Or something to that effect.

Just my opinion, of course.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yeah, he definitely wants the dmen to join the rush, he has said that. Semin could also start to drive deep and stop sharp along the area of the half wall still. Then he could drop it back to the dman or hit a trailer or cut in and shoot.

But to me at least, the "moving his feet" comment is all over the ice.

But there is no question that part of the issue is intensity, but part of it is also not fitting the system also.

It will be really interesting to watch him next game.