The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

CH, I am totally on board with your thoughts, but my question was and is, What do we(RF actually and Peters) do if this "enigmatic player" does not respond as they anticipate? How does one then go forward? Do you just stand pat, and leave him on the 1st line hoping that he eventually gets the message? That would seem to undermine the basic tenet that Peters exposes.Do you then move him down a line or two or put his butt back on the bench? Put on waivers intending to send him to Charlotte?All seem very complicated if he remains that enigmatic player he has a reputation of being.

I think if he doesn't respond you might be looking at a Kovalchuk-type exit from the NHL. He retires, goes back to Russia, and makes millions playing at home.

So strange, I wish we knew the cause of his horrible play.  Was it zero conditioning and to much partying all summer?  Is it lack of caring and laziness cause he's got his huge contract?  Or do I have it all wrong and the guy conditioned like crazy and cares more than we know but just can't find his game for some unknown reason? I mean he came through and got 22 goals last year(10less than he's paid for), maybe he turns this thing around and starts lighting it up.

Let's just hope Semin gets the message and returns to the player we've known prior to this season when reunited with Staal and Tlusty.

If Peters gets the result he wants and we see a productive Semin the team gets a little better than last weekend, which was a major bounce from season's low.

Still too early to assess this year's team, but getting clearer with every game.  That's pretty much on target with pre-season expectation.

CH, I am totally on board with your thoughts, but my question was and is, What do we(RF actually and Peters) do if this "enigmatic player" does not respond as they anticipate? How does one then go forward? Do you just stand pat, and leave him on the 1st line hoping that he eventually gets the message? That would seem to undermine the basic tenet that Peters exposes.

Do you then move him down a line or two or put his butt back on the bench? Put on waivers intending to send him to Charlotte?

All seem very complicated if he remains that enigmatic player he has a reputation of being.

I don't think it will come to this but hypothetically if Semin can't be traded and there is that real chance unless we want to retain salary for a number of years and even then. We could place Semin on waivers and hope someone picks him up. Although we wouldn't get anything in return we would shed ourselves of his contract. If he cleared waivers we could then send him to Charlotte but would be on the hook for the contract. I just read that if Semin refused to report to Charlotte he would then be in violation of his contract and we would/could seek contract termination.

Having said this I think we are not looking in this direction. An engaged and energized Sasha makes us a far better team then one without him.  I think we will try and get him back to form. We can buy him out at the end of the season but would still be on the hook for part of the contract,

The best thing for all including Sasha is that he returns to form.

Over on Canes Corner, it's being reported that Jack Johnson is scheduled for a 2:30 hearing today for the hit on Tlusty. Good, what a slime ball. Glad we didn't retain him.

That's a helluva name for Jiri.

Optimism is rising.  I hope Slutty is ok.

Edited by legend-1

Semin did seem a little more engaged last night than in previous outings, but hardly what I would consider to be satisfactory for a player with his capability.  I think he will get another game to redeem himself, assuming the practices go good.  I didn't think he was terrible, but I didn't think he showed anything that would change Peters attitude towards him based on the reasons he sited for benching him either.  Anyone see it differently?

NOT ENOUGH IMO.  I don't think this sends the message that the NHL keeps preaching in reference to targeting the head

NEW YORK Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson has been suspended for three games, without pay, for an illegal check to the head of Carolina Hurricanes forward Jiri Tlusty during NHL Game No. 176 in Columbus on Tuesday, Nov. 4, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 7:31 of the third period. Johnson was assessed a minor penalty for illegal check to the head.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Johnson will forfeit $70,276.50. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Edited by allboys

I agree. You don't want this to stop if a flagrant head hit gets three games. I love a lot of things about the NHL, but this is one area that they need change. Nothing wrong with hitting a guy hard, but NOT in the head. Embarrassing.

Re: Johnson's hit on Tlusty, he was smart enough not to do it against the Rangers, Toronto or Montreal. Itsno different than there being no discipline against Niskanen for the blatant head shot to Skinner. I think that one was even worse.

Re: Semin. I did not see anything last night that showed me he learned much sitting on his butt (making $85,365.83 per game). JR, what were you thinking giving this man a 5 year contract? During the strike year, on a one year "show-me" contract, we saw what he can do. Now we see why Washington ran him out on a rail. Peters is a better judge of Semin's effort than anyone else, but unless we start getting something close to$7 million worth of it, I'm down with sending him to Charlotte. If he is not going to play like a

$7 million player, I hope sending him down to ride the buses causes him to bolt for Russia. We could fill alot of holes with $7 million.

I've been absent for awhile, well posting-wise, but stalking.  You all were depressing me worse than our performance in the first 8 games.  what I believe we are seeing is a partial re-build, and those that don't perform will be nuked by years end.  I was very worried during those first 8 games, but we were missing some key players, and it is a LONG season.  Very satisfied with the last 3 games.  I believe we are headed in the right direction, and you are seeing that our player development is working. 

I am happy that Cam has stepped up.  I'm sorry to see Ryan Murphy coughing up the puck so fast, when everyone know the kid can carry the puck like no other when he puts his mind to it.  Faulk has been very good for the most part.  Gleason has looked better, much better than before we sent him packing last year.  Been disappointed in Semin, just like you all, but seems like Peters isn't afraid to pull the ice time punches he promised.  We're truly rolling 4 lines, which can keep our top 6 fresher for longer, and may improve upon our overtime performance.  I still don't know if we're playoff material, but if we can keep up this streak to make up for the initial slump, and stay around .500........then get J Staal back, and IF Skinner can pick up a bit more game in our defensive zone, and IF Semin returns to form, and IF Sekera doesn't feed the puck out in front of our net, and IF we can keep both our goalies healthy, and IF Khudobin can find his game again so he can be a real back-up to Cam:  We have a whiff of a chance to make the playoffs.  The problem is, there are a lot of IFs in that proposal.  We could go on with the IFs too, including Chucky.  Glad to see Chucky score the other night, he has been playing very well, even in our losses, I have noticed him.  Glad Zach is finally living up to some of his initial promise, and I hope he can expand on it. 

BTW, I like the gritty play of McClement.  He isn't Ruutu, but we needed someone to fill those shoes at least a little bit, and I think he has.  Gerbe is nuts, but I like him a lot.  That is all.  GO CANES!!!!!

Welcome back fpsndiver! I for one had been missing your posts and wondering where you'd been...good stuff.

I will just add one thing that I picked up listening to NHL on XM this morning. They read off the list of injuries of every team in the league. Now, I'm not sure what's up w/Tlusty, my guess is h he misses a few games, but not sure. That said, every team in the league has someone injured and the vast majority have either a very key guy out or a long list, or both.

The point is, that while not having J. is a serious deficiency, we are as healthy now as the vast majority of teams. The next three teams we face: CBJ, WSH, and CGY all have significant injuries, especially CBJ and WSH. 

So we are, at the moment, in a position to see what this team can do. 

We do need most of the 'ifs' diver points out, but they are mostly doable things. 

We do have three games in 4 nights, which always stinks, but still we are playing very beatable teams, especially w/ CBJ and WSH banged up. 

All hope is not lost. We do have a hole to fill in, but the quickest way to fill it is to keep the streak going.

Edited by remkin

Hoping Semin received the message and fell to pressure of having all eyes on him the first game back.  The next outing should tell the tale.  No doubt we are a better team with him in the lineup, (when he is playing to his abilities, like during a contract year) and that would ideally be the desired outcome.  If not, I agree that his rearend should get re-acquainted with the bus seats in Charlotte or go on back across the pond where communication is not an issue for him.

Re: Johnson's hit on Tlusty, he was smart enough not to do it against the Rangers, Toronto or Montreal. Itsno different than there being no discipline against Niskanen for the blatant head shot to Skinner. I think that one was even worse.

Re: Semin. I did not see anything last night that showed me he learned much sitting on his butt (making $85,365.83 per game). JR, what were you thinking giving this man a 5 year contract? During the strike year, on a one year "show-me" contract, we saw what he can do. Now we see why Washington ran him out on a rail. Peters is a better judge of Semin's effort than anyone else, but unless we start getting something close to$7 million worth of it, I'm down with sending him to Charlotte. If he is not going to play like a
$7 million player, I hope sending him down to ride the buses causes him to bolt for Russia. We could fill alot of holes with $7 million.

. . .That said, every team in the league has someone injured and the vast majority have either a very key guy out or a long list, or both.

. . .

This is a nice segue to something I'd really like to see the NHL do, which is go to the bigger international size ice in order to cut down on injuries a bit. Players today are just too big and fast.

I know it's  not going to happen because of $$$, but it would also make for a more exciting game imo.

Great idea  Lake, I dont want to  coddle Semin, he better get it going, and i think Peters will be on short leash..

I was wrong about Nash based on the first few games this season.  He's really improved and might be the solid 3rd line center we've long missed when Jordan returns.  I'd keep Eric at Center on top line, but who knows.

Lindholm is going to be an incredible Cane.  He does so many little things right and reminds me of Brandon Sutter's early development.

Short leash? Peters will stay longer then any problematic player, that's for sure in my book.

Great idea  Lake, I dont want to  coddle Semin, he better get it going, and i think Peters will be on short leash..

Well it begs the question, is Semin in a  funk, missing Russia, Cant find  knett :) ,   thinks too much,    scared of contact.... not enough money??? :)  Not many friends...Inquiring minds want to know...   

Well it begs the question, is Semin in a  funk, missing Russia, Cant find  knett :) ,   thinks too much,    scared of contact.... not enough money??? :)  Not many friends...Inquiring minds want to know...   

I think someone on this board, I don't remember who, got it right when they suggested that Semin tries too hard to play the game his own way instead of playing the team game. He obviously has tremendous talent but I think that he has difficultly translating his game consistently to the American style. I just don't buy into the idea that he is lazy or doesn't care. I just think that no coach has quite figured out how to make it work consistently, and that Alex hasn't made the adjustments he needs to make to be more consistent. When someone figures it out, he is probably unstoppable.