The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

The simple fact is that we have no second line.

The problem is that these are high end players we have lost.

Only way to replace them would be to mortgage the future. 

I still contend we could have added some depth without mortgaging the future, but it does appear that we are going to ride this train no matter how broken down it gets.

Maybe Rask and Gerbe and Linholm will leap out and provide a serviceable second line.....maybe. But that's asking all three guys to produce at levels far in excess of what they have ever done. 

With our current injuries we are the picture in the dictionary next to "one line teams". And even that line has to prove it can still do it.

*with gritted teeth and sweat pouring down the brow and eyes shifting back and forth* "We like our group..............we have no choice."

Edited by remkin

Gerbe / Rask / Lindholm is not an established 2nd line, but they at least have potential.  I see the bigger problem is that with Gerbe and Rask playing on the 2nd line, there is absolutely no 3rd line....

The thing is we have no assets to bring in a top 6 forward or top dman at this point.

Skinner himself just saw his trade value plummet. Harsh but true. And he was arguably the biggest chip we had. 

We absolutely don't want to trade the future or 1st or second round picks. In fact we want to accumulate them. 

Right now E. might have some trade value but it will be 60 cents on the dollar. 

Murphy? Maybe....but can't imagine much return there. 

I can see a depth move. I'm kind of surprised we haven't tried that, but since we don't want to give up prime prospects or picks...who do we trade? 

Hence.....(crickets chirping).

My faith lies entirely on Bill Peters at the moment.  This probably isn't the roster he imagined having when he pitched his plan to get hired.  But, if the guy can bring the relentless work ethic that Babcock and the wings win with, and sometimes with thin rosters due to injury.....then I have faith we can look half-way decent.  Or...we could end up with a number one draft pick.  Expectations are vague.

Peters will probably just bring up some young star from Charlotte tha has been waiting his turn. Oh, wait a minute, that's how they did it in Detroit. We don't have any young stars in the system.

Aaron Palushaj?  Paging Aaron Palushaj?  Oh wait, he's in Russia.

Joking aside, given that we're in evaluation mode anyways, I really would have liked to see what he might have done teamed on a line with Gerbe or another speedster.  The kid had jets, and wasn't far behind Boychuk & Terry as far as stats with the Checkers last year.

Practice update from Chip

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  50m 50 minutes ago

Dwyer at practice but in yellow noncontact jersey.

Dwyer skating with McClement, Malone. Nash with Terry, Brown

On back end, Faulk-Sekera, Hainsey-Liles, Gleason-Harrison, Murphy-Bellemore

Still a good bet Ward will start the opener. Still working north crease. Peters may make the call today after practice.

I have to agree that while we don't have a legit 2nd line, we really don't have a legit third line either. 

In fact when I look at that bottom 6, I'd flip line 3 and line 4. 

Hold on, the ride could get rough.

I guess we'll see what we've got.....

According to Chip  Starting goalie and Alternate Captains will be named tomorrow. Dwyer is ready for Friday.

I have to agree that while we don't have a legit 2nd line, we really don't have a legit third line either. 

In fact when I look at that bottom 6, I'd flip line 3 and line 4. 

Hold on, the ride could get rough.

I guess we'll see what we've got.....

Malone on anything but the 4th line makes me wince. :help: 

Well, we are currently dealing with the <blip> JR left Francis and Peters. I give them this year to work with what we have, work on some trades, and maybe some waiver guys.

I think 2015-2016 will be a good year for us!!

Richard Panik-RW 6'2" 207 would be a nice pick up. He's on waivers from Tampa.

The way its looking to me right now is Crosby or Malkin could be on waivers and I don't think Ron would attempt to bite!!

Richard Panik-RW 6'2" 207 would be a nice pick up. He's on waivers from Tampa.

Here here! (or is it "hear hear"?)  A big RW who's only 23 yo.  He even fits the "let's give the youth a shot" paradigm that many like, even if it is someone else's youth (presumably an organization that's a lot deeper at RW than we are).  He's on a 2-way contract @ $67.5k in the AHL and $735k in the NHL.  Not much to lose financially and if he's going to deprive one of the Canes youth of an opportunity, I don't see who it is (unless we're talking Murphy at RW).  Surprise us Ron, pull the trigger! :D  

EDIT: plus, I love the idea that if someone gets hurt and we need to call him up, Forslund can say: "Well, looks like it's time to Panek!"  :lol:

Edited by LakeLivin

Coastal - I'm more on the same page as you than you might think.  The difference is that I don't think the "evaluate" approach has to be at the extreme end of the possibility spectrum (ranging from "make absolutely no moves right now" to "trade everyone on the roster").    

Here here! (or is it "hear hear"?)  A big RW who's only 23 yo.  He even fits the "let's give the youth a shot" paradigm that many like, even if it is someone else's youth (presumably an organization that's a lot deeper at RW than we are).  He's on a 2-way contract @ $67.5k in the AHL and $735k in the NHL.  Not much to lose financially and if he's going to deprive one of the Canes youth of an opportunity, I don't see who it is (unless we're talking Murphy at RW).  Surprise us Ron, pull the trigger! :D  

EDIT: plus, I love the idea that if someone gets hurt and we need to call him up, Forslund can say: "Well, looks like it's time to Panek!"  :lol:

He's a big kid that is not physical and does not score.  Not sure where he would fit or why we would want him...

Coastal - I'm more on the same page as you Ron Francis than you might think.  The difference is that I don't think the "evaluate" approach has to be at the extreme end of the possibility spectrum (ranging from "make absolutely no moves right now" to "trade everyone on the roster").    

Fixed that.

Look, I'm not pitching any approach, I'm just suggesting what seems to be the approach of our GM at the moment.  Others seem to want him to do "something".  I'm suggesting he is.

He's a big kid that is not physical and does not score.  Not sure where he would fit or why we would want him...

Here's the HockeyNews report on Panik:

Assets:

Has loads of skill and an ideal frame for the National Hockey League game. Displays excellent scoring instincts and pretty good hockey sense.

Flaws:

Needs to work on his defensive-zone coverage in order to maximize his potential. Must also continue to fill out his 6-2 frame.

Career Potential: Talented winger with some upside.

He's averaged 0.7 ppg in his AHL career and north of 0.8 ppg over his last 2 years in the AHL. Ohnly 23 yo so still opportunity for additional improvement.  I'd put him at RW on the 4th line and slide him up to the 3rd when one of the other RWs gets hurt.  Instead of . . . uhm . . . ??  

He's a big skilled kid. Last man out on a pretty skilled TBL roster and they don't want to lose him. He seems to have all the tools to succeed and is still learning. I would bet he does not clear waivers, whether the Canes claim him or not. Word is he had a great camp but a couple of others really impressed and he was the odd man out. Just a thought. He seemed to look pretty good against the Canes last year. But then again, who didn't?