The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I think someone on this board, I don't remember who, got it right when they suggested that Semin tries too hard to play the game his own way instead of playing the team game. He obviously has tremendous talent but I think that he has difficultly translating his game consistently to the American style. I just don't buy into the idea that he is lazy or doesn't care. I just think that no coach has quite figured out how to make it work consistently, and that Alex hasn't made the adjustments he needs to make to be more consistent. When someone figures it out, he is probably unstoppable.

I think sometimes the adjustment needed to change from the style of play in Russia and North America is underestimated. It's not always a matter of not trying hard enough, but what intrinsically makes sense to a player who has had a certain style ingrained in his play since childhood. Muller seemed to have a good understanding of how to communicate with Semin on what was needed - from reports they talked a lot, and Muller was impressed with his hockey intelligence and willingness to work with him.

It reminds me of something Maurice said, after his return from coaching in Russia, regarding what he gained from the experience:

"But probably the biggest thing I walked away with is a blanket apology to every Russian player I ever coached. When they come to Canada and play the way they do, there’s a reason for it. Things sometimes get said about them, like they’re not tough, but I can tell you there are tough players over there. They just play the game so differently. We expect them to make adjustments in a couple of weeks when they get here, you want them to tip the puck in and chase it, and you want them to do this and go there, and then you think they don’t want to play your game. It’s not like that at all, and you’d have to be there to see where they come from and the culture and the hockey. So a blanket apology … I have a better understanding of their world, how they train, how they play, and why they play the way they do."

I suspect that Peters style is not that intuitive to Semin, and the quick pace of practices leaves little room to sort through it. So he ends up thinking too much on the ice, resulting in hesitancy (and slowness) and generally lacking confidence in what he is doing, and perhaps occasionally falling back into a more "natural" playing style. Hopefully they are able to get it sorted out, though, because having him on the same page would be a great benefit to the team.

InvisiCane.  Great post but...In Semins case he is now going into his 10th season in the NHL.  Figuring out north american style of play, coaching expectations, the personal confidence factor etc etc should have been figured out by no later than season 3 or 4.  Regarding Semin and the Canes and Semin and the NHL in general its like the fat southern cop said..."What we have here, is failure, to communicate."  At this point its Alex's failure, not the Canes system, or NHL play.  Too many good Ruskies (ie P. Bure, Ovi et al) figured out very quickly how the NA game is played. Ovi didn't speak any more English when he got here than Semin (Saw him interviewed at the RBC center when the draft was here) he stuttered/stammered his way through it but look at hin now, full on interviews and understands the questions.  Semin simply hasn't tried hard enough to assimilate to a language and culture that pays him a kings ransom to be here.  Its killing him.  I don't see him staying here the length of his contract before packing it in to join Kovalchuk in the KHL.

I know I'm late to the dance but reviewing the comments on Skinner I feel that there are a lot of teams that would want a Jeff Skinner.Let's not forget the kid is only 22 and has put up 98 NHL goals to this point. Yes his defense is lacking but this team does not have an abundance of goal scorers.Jeff,work on your D,keep your head up and please keep scoring goals!!

One thing to note is that Semin and Skinner are both high end offensive free lancers. It may not be a coincidence that they are the ones having the most difficulty fitting into the Peters structure. I don't think that means they can't, but they have to find a way within the system.

Detroit has Zetterberg and even moreso Datsuk who are high end skilled offensive players. I'd be currious about the thoughts of some of our Detroit-o-philes, as to how those guys get it done.

I do think the concussions have played a role in Skinner's lack of defensive prowess. He just does not want to muck along the boards unless it might quickly lead to a scoring chance, which is perceived as only being in the o zone.

Skinner goes back to his figure skating days, and semin , great point, THINKS TOO MUCH! Skinner is too small for the mucking, even though Gerbs does it, i think subconsciously, Jeff  afraid of another  concussion...JMO,Foligno is going to want to mix it up,  send Bellemore or Gleason  to fix his *edit*... Lets go CANES!

Edited by dinz

I think sometimes the adjustment needed to change from the style of play in Russia and North America is underestimated. ...

It reminds me of something Maurice said, after his return from coaching in Russia, regarding what he gained from the experience:

"But probably the biggest thing I walked away with is a blanket apology to every Russian player I ever coached. When they come to Canada and play the way they do, there’s a reason for it. Things sometimes get said about them, like they’re not tough, but I can tell you there are tough players over there. They just play the game so differently. We expect them to make adjustments in a couple of weeks when they get here, you want them to tip the puck in and chase it, and you want them to do this and go there, and then you think they don’t want to play your game. It’s not like that at all, and you’d have to be there to see where they come from and the culture and the hockey. So a blanket apology … I have a better understanding of their world, how they train, how they play, and why they play the way they do."

Excellent post.  I'm inclined to attribute Semin's play to what Maurice says.  Semin never really conformed to North American style and system, and doesn't seem on planning to.

With that said, I think the Semin we saw in the Lockout season is still in there somewhere.  He's struggling and being very tentative and deliberate, unlike his first year here.

IMO he's a highly skilled player who knows it.  He excelled with players of his caliber in Ovi and E. Staal, but failed to make lesser players any better (a real flaw).  That flaw holds Semin back from being a better player himself.  He seems to make the play that isn't obvious, and has high degree of flair and skill, which I believe are important to him as a player and individual.  Those last points can be interpreted as selfish, and not part of buying into team (and teammate) sacrifice.

I'm not a psych major, but I admire his skill and awareness of the game.  I think those elements are still there and hope we see them soon

All Peters is asking Semin to do is skate with the play.  That's it.  He's not doing that. I really don't care what the reason is but he's no help to us if he won't. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

All Peters is asking Semin to do is skate with the play.  That's it.  He's not doing that. I really don't care what the reason is but he's no help to us if he won't. 

If it were that simple Chad Larose would be up here.

Larose at 100% = 30 points.

Semin at 100% = 80 points.

So no it's not that simple. We have vastly more to gain with Semin giving a crap then Larose.

This team is really starting to come together. You can tell they are buying into what Peters is teaching them. No more giving up after a bad break or two. A nice show of resilience tonight and all 3 goals scored by the young guns. The defense is playing more disciplined and Cam finally looks confident. 

In his post-game interview Lindholm said "we believe we can win every game". I know it's a pretty generic statement but that attitude is something we didn't see much of during the Muller era.

Edited by TheFaulker

Semin was incredible last night.  Ward is also really playing well.  Never thought I would see that.

Optimism is rising.  Again... .500 hockey until Staal returns and this team will make the playoffs.

Edited by bluedevil58

I'm not so sure that J Staal on a rehab broken leg is going to bring more to the game than Nash/Lindholm/Rask.Staal will need a lot of work to get back in shape and to not be tentative.

Just taking a peek at our remaining games for the month of November:

Sat Nov 8, 2014  Hurricanes @ Capitals 

(Very winnable game against a team that is struggling defensively)
Mon Nov 10, 2014 Flames @ Hurricanes

(Revenge game #1; Flames shut us out during that trip through Western Canada)
Thu Nov 13, 2014 Jets @ Hurricanes

(Revenge game #2; Jets physically beat us up that night)
Sat Nov 15, 2014 Hurricanes @ Bruins

(No Chara! But its still the Bruins; beginning of another long road trip)
Sun Nov 16, 2014 Sharks @ Hurricanes

(Another tough test against one of the elite Western Conference Teams)

Tue Nov 18, 2014 Hurricanes @ Stars

(Another tough test against one of the elite Western Conference Teams)

Thu Nov 20, 2014 Hurricanes @ Kings

(We beat them here, so this is a revenge game for them)
Sat Nov 22, 2014 Hurricanes @ Avalanche

(Who would have thought that this team would be struggling after what they did last season)
Wed Nov 26, 2014 Hurricanes @ Panthers

(Luongo is back with the Kittens; he always was a Canes killer when he was here before)
Fri Nov 28, 2014 Hurricanes @ Penguins

(Front end of a back-to-back)
Sat Nov 29, 2014 Penguins @ Hurricanes
(CANES FINALLY RETURN HOME!)

With the way they've been playing, we shouId be able to win the next 3. I figure we need to go at least ,500 on the road trip before returning home.

We all know games dont  always go the way we think... Team continues to play 60 minutes, and let the chips fall where they may.. jmo

I think we will find out in the next 10 games just how competitive or not this team will be.  I agree with coastal that by the end of November we will know. I don't think we can win a playoff spot in November but I think we could lose one.

This is a big 10 games for us in November.

We're 6 points out of the playoffs in a weak conference and with 69 games and a possible 138 points still out there.

We dug a hole, and have filled half of it back in. 

I will admit that after the next two games we have a 8 game stretch that can only be described as brutal. But that doesn't automatically mean we lose them all. If we can take the next two then go 3-5, we'll have s slightly better schedule in December, then it gets a bit better. 

Still, it comes down to this. Is Cam for real? Can this team continue to refine the work in progress, and hang around until J gets back? 

To me it's there, on the edges, Tlusty and Skinner are still shaking off conclusions, E is finding his game and Semin is responding to the Peters treatment. It can still come together. We have not seen the best this team can play yet. I mean this team without J.

Last year we laid down and just stunk the place up vs. Calgary. Peters might have the team watch that game on their day off. Start by making sure that doesn't happen again.

Edited by remkin

We're 6 points out of the playoffs in a weak conference and with 69 games and a possible 138 points still out there.

We dug a hole, and have filled half of it back in. 

I will admit that after the next two games we have a 8 game stretch that can only be described as brutal. But that doesn't automatically mean we lose them all. If we can take the next two then go 3-5, we'll have s slightly better schedule in December, then it gets a bit better. 

Still, it comes down to this. Is Cam for real? Can this team continue to refine the work in progress, and hang around until J gets back? 

To me it's there, on the edges, Tlusty and Skinner are still shaking off conclusions, E is finding his game and Semin is responding to the Peters treatment. It can still come together. We have not seen the best this team can play yet. I mean this team without J.

Last year we laid down and just stunk the place up vs. Calgary. Peters might have the team watch that game on their day off. Start by making sure that doesn't happen again.

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Is the glass half empty or half full? We still are only ahead of two teams in the NHL for total points.

I think the question is is the glass filling up or emptying out?....too soon to tell...

Edited by remkin

I think filling up.  The Washington game...think Peters worked em pretty hard in practice, from the "mic'd" up deal with the Swede.  They came out and were a bit sluggish, and didn't really figure out how to bust the Washington zone until the 3rd period.  Some issues with breaking out with the aggressive defense of the Capitals.  But in the end, pushed the game to a tie, and grabbed the point.  They'll be better next time.  They're a lot more exciting to watch, and I do think they can win when they play a complete game.  We do have to dig out of this hole though.  Still pulling for the boys in red, and hoping we can salvage this early season slump.  Cautiously optimistic.