The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

They played well tonight, and need to sustain.  Thought that somehow Boychuck deserved a star, I thought he played very well.  I guess it was a tough call between he and Cam.  Things are certainly looking less bleak. 

We're seeing the results if a well-coached team.  I am really liking Peters.  He is not afraid to call people out and he makes the right adjustments at the right times.  Outstanding.

Was at the game last night and, like many on here, am truly sensing the difference this coaching staff is making! Talk about making lemonade out of lemons.

Now I truly get the reluctance to invest energy into hopes for the team's success after 5 frustrating years of near misses and dismal off seasons, but to look around the PNC Arena, I swear there were echoes and the temperature was several degrees colder with the sparse crowds of late. Its probably a little premature right now, but I really wish some of the crowds would return to lend their support! I believe that this team is working their collective butts off, and I know that crowd noise could bring more wins!!

I know, preaching to the choir here, but LETS GO CANES

Edited by KJUNKANE

I loved the line of Skinner-McClement-Semin. Let's leave that line in place for awhile.Peters is hacking away at his three main goals for the season.(1) Starting games strong (2) producing more on the power play and (3) winning more often at PNC Arena. (3) Home record looking better, (1) and (2) a work in progress but looking better. I'd bet that starting games strong is his main focal point right now,this team is formidable when they use their speed. Boychuk decided to skate all out last night and got rewarded. Happy for Gleason's goal,he has surprised me this season with his effort so far. Semin starting to look better,skating more and taking a few shots. I'm starting to think Semin came into camp totally out of shape after recovery from the wrist surgery.Cam looks so relaxed and love his stick play.Peters thinks the team is still looking for it's identity, I think it is starting to form. 

I started the season Boycotting the team by not going to any games until they showed me some effort. I missed opening night for the first time since the opening season in Greensboro. The last few games showed me that the team is putting in an honest effort.I broke my Boycott and secured tkts for the Pittsburgh game. If the team keeps providing the same effort, I believe more fans will come back.Win or loose,all I want is an honest effort.

The very first thing that jumped out at me last night, even before any goals, was how well the Canes were moving the puck out of their zone. It seemed like almost every pass had pace and stuck to the recipients stick like it was Velcroed.  In my short stint following the team closely, I've never seem them passing the puck up the ice that well.  If someone had showed me a clip with the uniforms disguised I'd have bet money it was a team other than the Canes.  I wonder if Peters has been working on fundamentals in his short time here . . .

I think what we're seeing is above average hockey with rose colored glasses.  The reason I say this is because we have seen a horrible product the last 5 years so this play seems epic to us fans.

The very first thing that jumped out at me last night, even before any goals, was how well the Canes were moving the puck out of their zone. It seemed like almost every pass had pace and stuck to the recipients stick like it was Velcroed.  In my short stint following the team closely, I've never seem them passing the puck up the ice that well.  If someone had showed me a clip with the uniforms disguised I'd have bet money it was a team other than the Canes.  I wonder if Peters has been working on fundamentals in his short time here . . .

It's good that Michael and/or Chip report who is out on the ice and in what combos for game day practices, but what's been lacking is reporting on the actual drills and areas of the game they're working on. We can draw conclusions on that from what we see in games, but it'd be nice to have some deeper insight into how Peters runs his practices. For example, Semin holds that puck in the corner last night and waits for passing options. Earlier this year and most of last he just throws that puck on net and doesn't even follow it, satisfied with an O-zone face-off. That has to be Peters' puck possession peaching in action. Or two nights ago in DC, Skinner didn't even take a shot - and it wasn't for lack of shooting opportunities. He passes instead. And Staal's goal in DC. He was in the right side of the slot! When's the last time he went there?

So can we conclude that Peters is forcing guys to do things in practice that are outside their comfort zones? Probably. But some more-detailed coverage of practices would sure be fun to read!

Edited by top-shelf-1

What we are seeing is a coaching staff that is not afraid to put people in places to succeed.

No more of this, "You're suppose to be a 1st line player, you're being paid to be a 1st line player, so you'll play on the 1st line" regardless of how non-productive you are. We'll just wait for you to get it and if you don't, you're still on the 1st line.

No more of this, "So, you've been on the team a long time, so we're going to put you on the 1st line, even though you're really a 3rd liner" regardless of how non productive you are and because we like you.

No more of this, "We've called you up from Charlotte to play on the 4th line just to take up space/time on the ice and are not going to teach/develop you to be more" regardless of what your potential is.

No more of this "We're dumping/chasing the puck in the offensive zone and we'll do a line change" regardless of scoring opportunities and if we do score that is great.

From what I've seen from this team, and I've followed this team since '97, is fundamental belief in what the coaches are telling them.

Passes are crisper and with pace. We are skating the puck out of our zone and into the offensive zone. We aren't fully relying on our netminder to be epic every night and if one gets past the goalie, we don't go into a shell and give up.

For me, it has been about coaching. Peters has simplified the game. Brind'Amour has worked our power play to where the other team actually has to defend against it! David Marcoux (our goalie coach) has revived Cam. You see a more active stick from Cam and he looks comfortable! No wasted movement and so far, it looks like he is seeing the puck really well. Now get Khudobin going and we have a dangerous 1-2 punch in between the pipes.

Puck posession: (ala Red Wings/Blackhawks)

Skate into the zone with the puck. If you have to dump, then dump and chase, but keep the puck. Make the defense come to you, not the other way around. No waste of time chasing after the defense once they posess the puck, killing any chance of offensive zone time. During the latest game, we've seen a fundamental difference in this team as they are moving the puck through the zone and actually putting pressure in the offensive zone.

Defend the neutral zone:

This use to be the called New Jersey Devils grab in the neutral zone, but the league took that away. But you still have to slow the opponent down legally. Stick checks, clog the passing and skating lanes. Last night's game a perfect example of this. Calgary is really good in moving through the neutral zone.  Their passes are systematic. But as we saw last night, all you have to do is disrupt it and they have little to no speed to enter the offensive zone.

Protect the Defensive Zone:

From the goalie out, the team is on the puck pretty much as soon as it enters the zone. Blocking shots, sticks in passing/shooting lanes and defending the back door. There are still some lapses from time to time, but that is expected as you are playing against pros on the other team.  The goalie doesn't have to be perfect every night, but when the team needs it, the netminder has their back as he knows the guys in front of him has his.

Edited by hopper915

Well we have won 5/6 and tied the other one in a nice road comeback, so that is above average hockey. 

I put this in the GDT, but for me last night was the first night where it really seemed to come together. The cliched but true "total team buy in".  Can we play like that every night? No. But if we can play like that 75% of the nights we'll make the playoffs. 

It starts in goal.

I wrote long ago that the best thing that could happen to this team short and long term is for Cam Ward to re-emerge into his best form. Not only for the now, but for his value if things don't work out. But for now..he is the start.

But the defense as Lake pointed out, was moving the puck, and the offense was making plays. How fun is that? To actually watch plays happening? And Faulk has been reborn.

With the emergence of our Charlotte boys, we now have depth. This will be key, that these guys have stepped up and are showing that maybe we had more there than we thought when Mo and Muller left them to rot in Charlotte with the occasional 20 second 4th line checking shift. I cannot over-emphasize this. This is hockey at the highest level in the world. It takes time and confidence to find your offensive game at this level. You need to get ice time in the situations that you can make plays. It is so key that the Rasks, Boychuks, and Terry's are getting that. It will pay off.

On defense. Yes Faulk was a whipping boy. But he earned it. Well now he's a hero and he's earned it. We didn't get it wrong, he found his game. And what a difference that makes too. We may not have an All Star D. but w/ Gleason playing well in a reduced role, we do have depth on D. We have NHL bodies to fill in the inevitable injuries, so the lockout debacle doesn't happen again.

Skinner has shaken off the concussion. The kid is a wizard. 100 goals. Just amazing to watch. This is why the concussions on stupid unnecessary cheap head shots is so incredibly frustrating. How stupid is the NHL to let it's Ferraris get into the demolition derby. Skinner is what I want to see, not goonish open ice head shots. You don't need to be the world's elite league to see that. Any minor league team can give you that. 

Linholm is starting to go from solid with flashes to really really good. 19. That was a good pick. Just watch...

Don't look now, but Riley Nash is our leading point getter, plus 2, and just under .8 ppg, rpm* would project out to 64 points. Are you kidding me? That is elite. That is acceptable for a first line center. Here's another guy who getting NHL ice time has helped and he has consistently elevated his game. If he even stays close to this level? Depth.

(BTW, Nash is on Francis who wanted him and said he had the chops way back when).

(Next in line to do this same thing, maybe next year? Victor Rask. I am now convinced he's got the chops, but needs more NHL ice time).

The thing is, I still think there's way more fire-power to come. 

This team is playing as a team on the page of music, but some instruments are still warming up: 

E. is playing a much better game and is quietly right there w/ Nash in ppg. But he has another level.

Tlusty helped cary us when it was not all firing, but he's just now looking better post concussion. 

Skinner, same.

Lindholm...on a 47 point and almost 30 goal pace. But I see him just getting better as the year goes on.

Faulk has simply turned his game on a dime and is now Olympic Faulk. He is on pace for just under 60 points himself. 

The Charlotte kids should just keep getting better. 

Boychuk is on a 34 point pace. Terry is on a 25 goal pace. 

But heres' the thing. Semin is on a zero goal pace. The rehabilitation of Semin could rank behind only the rehabilitation of Ward (and maybe Faulk if you want to go there). If Semin gets on track then what's left still?

Well Khudobin finding his game, which I think he will...and....

Jordan Staal. Even if J. plays on the "third line". We have the players for that to be substantial. Even if his offense is slow to come, if he shuts down the other team's top line and outscores them, the way he did last year....

And Peters seems to be the conductor playing all the right instruments and getting the Island team.

Finally, I just read a piece by the Hockey Writers. I had to check the date, but it was supposedly written just a couple of days ago. It was write out of "central supply talking points for national writers who closely follow about 10 teams and hum a few bars and I'll fake it for us". The same tripe about how bad we were and only added a coach and Jay McClemment, and we should start tearing it down and go rebuild. About how the contracts were just too big and the talent wasn't there.

I thought, have you seen this team lately? And this was before last night. Of course they haven't SEEN this team. Unless we're playing Toronto w/ no other games on, none of them are watching this team. They will now.

The talent IS here. We just needed a maestro coach to put it together.

This is a partial vindication for JR if it keeps rolling. Boychuk, while not a hit, is not a total miss. Picking up Nash, and second round picks of Rask and Faulk. The way he stole Tlusty and out right robbed Buffalo for Sekera (McBain is now, as I predicted, out of the league). 

JR still overpaid Semin who has yet to show he's worth it, and gave out some oversized contracts, and that's on him and is a justified criticism, but it appears that the biggest fault was picking coaches. He got the talent here, but then turned it over to Mo and Muller. Lavi was a good pick, but Mo and Muller is on JR.

Anyways, Peters is the real deal. The Maestro.

I am getting in my boat and heading out to check on the Island. 

*patented, remking projection model.

Edited by remkin

My optimism has been more guarded during this recent points streak than many here. Part of my caution is due to the level of competition we've beaten so far.  Even our better wins come with a bit of an asterisk (LA has been horrible on the road so far this year and Calgary was playing the last of an East Coast 5 game road trip).  The next couple of weeks will really tell where we stand.

The other thing that has tempered my optimism is one area where I disagree a bit with Rem's post above.  I don't see us as being organizationally deep, especially up front.  I see us as hopefully being reasonably staffed at the NHL level at the moment, but I don't see us as having any margin when it comes to forwards.  Imo our "13th man" is Brad Malone who I'm having a hard time seeing as more than an AHLer (or temporary 4th line banger) in the near future.  And I just happened to take a look at the 4-7 Charlotte Checkers stats this morning and it doesn't look overly bright down there.  McGinn isn't off to a start that seems to indicate that he'll be ready without a good dose of AHL seasoning and then we're talking . . . Nemisz (0 NHL games)?  Di Giuseppe (14 total AHL games, 6 points so far)? LaRose? :sarcasmalert:  I'm thinking Di Giuseppe may have a nice future but I'd hate to have to depend on him this year. 

Now don't get me wrong.  I'm very excited about our turn around and agree with most of Rems positives above. I think recent developments bode very well for the future.  I just need to see us with some degree of success over the next part of our schedule to lose the "cautious" part of my "cautious optimism" when it comes to playoffs this year. And even if we are successful against a "better" schedule, I think we may need to be a bit lucky with respect to further injuries, especially until J gets back to full speed.

As always, just one man's opinion.  :)      

Amazing how the return of four injured veterans can make the entire team look better, isn't it?

It's good that Michael and/or Chip report who is out on the ice and in what combos for game day practices, but what's been lacking is reporting on the actual drills and areas of the game they're working on. We can draw conclusions on that from what we see in games, but it'd be nice to have some deeper insight into how Peters runs his practices. For example, Semin holds that puck in the corner last night and waits for passing options. Earlier this year and most of last he just throws that puck on net and doesn't even follow it, satisfied with an O-zone face-off. That has to be Peters' puck possession peaching in action. Or two nights ago in DC, Skinner didn't even take a shot - and it wasn't for lack of shooting opportunities. He passes instead. And Staal's goal in DC. He was in the right side of the slot! When's the last time he went there?

So can we conclude that Peters is forcing guys to do things in practice that are outside their comfort zones? Probably. But some more-detailed coverage of practices would sure be fun to read!

TS,great points!! I was going to write on this specific point a few days ago.If anyone has an opportunity to see a practice it is enlightening . BP's practices are to the point with all parties engaged.Under Mueller they looked like a formality rather than practicing.I am going to try and go to either Wednesday's or Thursday's practice and will report back. Here is a link that maybe some of you haven't seen,but it identifies some of Forslund's thoughts along with video of the morning skate before the CBJ game. http://video.hurricanes.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=664112

Edited by slapshot02

Well our depth is not Championship level, but remember when we get J. back everyone slides down. 

Very few teams have a top 9 forwards capable of putting up 30 plus points. 

If we need depth later, we will bring up bodies for the 4th line.

McGinn, DeGuisseppe, maybe Tolchinksy....no probably not ready, but give them some time. Look what Rask and Nash have done w/ some time to develop. 

As to super AHL depth, no, but as to scoring depth with the guys we have...definitely. 

What we really need is to develop a big first line...

1. Well our depth is not Championship level, but remember when we get J. back everyone slides down. 

Very few teams have a top 9 forwards capable of putting up 30 plus points. 

If we need depth later, we will bring up bodies for the 4th line.

2. McGinn, DeGuisseppe, maybe Tolchinksy....no probably not ready, but give them some time. Look what Rask and Nash have done w/ some time to develop. 

As to super AHL depth, no, but as to scoring depth with the guys we have...definitely. 

What we really need is to develop a big first line...

1.:  Sure, J coming back adds one but we'll lose others to injury during the season.  With the size and speed of todays NHL players I think you're almost always going to have at least a couple of players out due to injury (hopefully short-term; we've had more than our fair share of LTIs). 

2.: Those aren't yutes, they're babies  :P. It took Boychuk and Terry into their mid 20s and even Rask had a full year of AHL experience prior to his first NHL game.  Down the road, sure, but here's hoping we actually develop these kids.   

Additional thoughts related to my post above:

Wouldn't it be nice (for both us and Charlotte) if we'd re-signed Palushaj to a 2-way contract?  I see him as being very similar to Rask/ Terry/ Boychuk from last year's Checkers and look how they're doing. 

According to his agent, 5 NHL and 4 KHL teams are expressing interest in Loktionov.  Wonder if there's any chance we might be one of them?  Where would he fit in?  I don't know, I'll leave that up to Peters.  ;)  Imo, the more pieces he has to work with the better off we'll be. He's showing hiimself to be very adept at managing the pieces he's got so far. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm hoping that Peters just doesn't automatically hand Jordan his position back.I'm hoping he takes his time with him.Jordan will require some time to get back into form.Stick with the philosophy that your play dictates the amount of your ice time.

Lake, I for one(and possibly you) have been holding my breath, hoping that we could reach out to Loki, as I thought that he, like Gerbs and Dwyer brought great speed to their lines. With Peters' emphasis on pushing the pace, I think he'd be another prototypical Peter, type player.

Like you, I also don't know where he'd fit in, be he surely looked brilliant on the 3rd line last year. That looks to be duplicating Gerbe, and I do not advocate replacing him, but the additional depth surely could come in handy for spot relief.

Edited by KJUNKANE

As mentioned, team is in control when getting puck out, very relaxed, no doubt, peters got the message to team how important to get it out quick.. Peters is tough when he has to be, and  can also, take the pedal off , when someone needs  a pat on back.. Thats Huge.. Team is sticking up for each other also... Hope Bellemore is back soon, he has really picked up his play..I mentioned in GDT,  how McClement has played, especially on  FO..  And Cammer, alas, the piece to the puzzle... great pic of him wearing the fireman hat..

Well he was out briefly. Wow the Kings? I thought it had to be a two way, but I guess not....hmmm. 

Wish him well, but not sure how that will work out.