The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

They were talking on the radio last night that this would happen today. Kings D is decimated at the moment and they're hard against the cap. McBain was reported to be going to the KHL, but I'm not sure he ever left. He'd just gone to a tryout I believe with the Monarchs in the AHL when they came calling. Talk about a lucky break for him. 

I always thought he was a case of us rushing him too soon. He looked great in a very small sample and ok in his first full season, then he just crumbled. Going to Buffalo who was even worse than us couldn't help. Maybe a winning environment and recognizing his last, best chance will have him step up. No, he won't be a top line Dman, but if I'm him, I'm not complaining about being the 6th (or 7th) guy on a Cup contender.

1.:  Sure, J coming back adds one but we'll lose others to injury during the season.  With the size and speed of todays NHL players I think you're almost always going to have at least a couple of players out due to injury (hopefully short-term; we've had more than our fair share of LTIs). 

According to his agent, 5 NHL and 4 KHL teams are expressing interest in Loktionov.  Wonder if there's any chance we might be one of them?  Where would he fit in?  I don't know, I'll leave that up to Peters.  ;)  Imo, the more pieces he has to work with the better off we'll be. He's showing hiimself to be very adept at managing the pieces he's got so far. 

Our perceived lack of depth was when Rask, Terry, and Boychuk were seen as mostly useless. Add Nash taking another step up, and it changes the depth equation.

30 NHL points is actually not as easy as some think. I did a study off season and most teams have maybe 4 forwards who put up 30. Last year Pittsburgh had 5. The top teams in this regaurd, Boston and Tampa had 8. But they were elite.

We have 10 guys w/ a legit shot at it, not including Rask.

Now odds are of course that all 10 won't get there, but Nash, Tlusty, Lindholm, E, Skinner, and Semin are locks if they stay relatively healthy that's 6 right there. J will probalby get there even with the injury, but will at least produce at that level when back. Gerbe has done it twice. Both Boychuk and Terry are above that pace. This does not count Rask, who I think has it in him, but probably won't hit it this year (Rask would be #11).

BTW last year Florida and Buffulo both had only 3 forwards put up 30 points. We can't beat them to the bottom.

So we have more depth than people think. Maybe not a farm system full of future studs, but depth as we stand.

You know I have much love for Loktionov. I was pining for him at the start. But to be honest, where would we fit him? especially when J. gets back. My interest in Lokti is waning.

Our perceived lack of depth was when Rask, Terry, and Boychuk were seen as mostly useless. Add Nash taking another step up, and it changes the depth equation.

30 NHL points is actually not as easy as some think. I did a study off season and most teams have maybe 4 forwards who put up 30. Last year Pittsburgh had 5. The top teams in this regaurd, Boston and Tampa had 8. But they were elite.

We have 10 guys w/ a legit shot at it, not including Rask.

Now odds are of course that all 10 won't get there, but Nash, Tlusty, Lindholm, E, Skinner, and Semin are locks if they stay relatively healthy that's 6 right there. J will probalby get there even with the injury, but will at least produce at that level when back. Gerbe has done it twice. Both Boychuk and Terry are above that pace. This does not count Rask, who I think has it in him, but probably won't hit it this year (Rask would be #11).

BTW last year Florida and Buffulo both had only 3 forwards put up 30 points. We can't beat them to the bottom.

So we have more depth than people think. Maybe not a farm system full of future studs, but depth as we stand.

You know I have much love for Loktionov. I was pining for him at the start. But to be honest, where would we fit him? especially when J. gets back. My interest in Lokti is waning.

Agree and will go further: Ruttu for Lokti was more evidence that in those last few months, JR was about three sandwiches short of a picnic. Lokti will find a place, but it won't (nor should it be) here, based on what the yutes are producing and Peters' overall approach, which increasingly looks to me like, "If you're good enough to get an NHL contract, you're good enough. We just have to make you a complete player. If you're not willing to do that, there's the door."

It's sure worked for Detroit, and for a long, long time.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well he was out briefly. Wow the Kings? I thought it had to be a two way, but I guess not....hmmm. 

Wish him well, but not sure how that will work out.

From the reports I have seen, it is two way, paying $100,000 at the AHL level. But they currently need him at the NHL level.

They were talking on the radio last night that this would happen today. Kings D is decimated at the moment and they're hard against the cap. McBain was reported to be going to the KHL, but I'm not sure he ever left. He'd just gone to a tryout I believe with the Monarchs in the AHL when they came calling. Talk about a lucky break for him. 

I always thought he was a case of us rushing him too soon. He looked great in a very small sample and ok in his first full season, then he just crumbled. Going to Buffalo who was even worse than us couldn't help. Maybe a winning environment and recognizing his last, best chance will have him step up. No, he won't be a top line Dman, but if I'm him, I'm not complaining about being the 6th (or 7th) guy on a Cup contender.

Their cap situation is such that they could only bring up an absolute minimum salary player, and even then they had to count the days until the cap would fit.

From what McBain said, nothing ever worked out for him to go to the KHL. I expect the PTO with the Monarchs was in preparation for him to join the Kings - it gave him 5 games to learn their system. (And gave them a chance to see him and decide if they wanted to sign him, of course.)

I believe you have a valid point about him being rushed. I suspect a lot of offensive d-men get away with less than solid defense in the lower leagues (whether juniors or college). But he played well with Pitkanen (who had been a challenge to find a good partner for) and, well, he was cheap, so instead of working on the defensive side of his game in the AHL, he was "learning" how to play defense paired with Pitkanen. (As a side note, that is why I am glad to see Murphy sent to Charlotte rather than kept up, playing limited/sheltered minutes. Hopefully taking that time with him will allow him to round out his game and make him a better player for the long run.)

Then in Buffalo, based on TOI, McBain was their #2 d-man. Obviously that put him playing in situations he wasn't going to do well in. The more structured approach in LA, and being slotted as a #6/7 d-man, may help him get back on track. Looks like about as good an opportunity as he could ask for. Hopefully he will take advantage of it.

From the reports I have seen, it is two way, paying $100,000 at the AHL level. But they currently need him at the NHL level.

Their cap situation is such that they could only bring up an absolute minimum salary player, and even then they had to count the days until the cap would fit.

From what McBain said, nothing ever worked out for him to go to the KHL. I expect the PTO with the Monarchs was in preparation for him to join the Kings - it gave him 5 games to learn their system. (And gave them a chance to see him and decide if they wanted to sign him, of course.)

Well a two way makes more sense. Look, I don't want to pile on McBain. I wish the guy well, but we DID have so much hope for him and he did not deliver at all. We talk about our depth, well I'd take anyone who has dressed this year on d for the Canes ahead of McBain.

I recall getting extremely angry at the TV everytime McBain and Pitts were announced in the same pairing. Am I wrong, we're they good and I've just forgotten? If they ever caught fire it couldn't have been for long.

Well a two way makes more sense. Look, I don't want to pile on McBain. I wish the guy well, but we DID have so much hope for him and he did not deliver at all. We talk about our depth, well I'd take anyone who has dressed this year on d for the Canes ahead of McBain.

I know he was bad but a lot if players weren't the best those years. I love love getting sekera and gerbe for him but frankly I think long term he had/has more potential than a certain a smallish puck moving defenseman we keep trying out.

. . .

Sutter seems to think so:

“There’s a lot to go over with him. It’s way different coming to this conference. The pace of play is way different,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “He hasn’t played on a good team. Big difference. Good kid, good skill set. The next part is the game.”

It will be interesting to see how McBain actually does in LA.

Agree and will go further: Ruttu for Lokti was more evidence that in those last few months, JR was about three sandwiches short of a picnic  . . .

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the reasoning behind that trade was a salary dump.  Ruu's contract is for $5m/ year through 2015-16.  At the point we traded him Ruu had 5 goals and 11 assists in 57 games played. Lokti was 23 years old, had 4 goals and 8 assists through 48 games at the point he was traded, and looked to maybe help us on the power play, arguably our biggest weakness last year.

All things considered, I don't see that trade as being all that wacky at all.

Edited by LakeLivin

I know he was bad but a lot if players weren't the best those years. I love love getting sekera and gerbe for him but frankly I think long term he had/has more potential than a certain a smallish puck moving defenseman we keep trying out.

Well to me McBain stood out and had a long, long string of healthy scratches over years.

I also thought about the comparison w/ Murphy, It is a reasonable one.

McBain did 3 years of college then hit his first real NHL season at age 21. Early for a D man.

Murphy did the JR hockey thing and hit his first real NHL season at age 20. Even earlier, Murphy is 21 now.

But the difference is that McBain is 26 now.

So to me McBain came in w/ a world of promise, similar to Murphy that way, but then spent the next 5 years not improving much. Murphy is just on the cusp of that. What will he do?

Murphy....to be determined. The Jury is still out on Murphy. To me the Jury returned a guilty verdict on McBain, but the Governor gave him a  last second stay of execution, I mean Buffalo, the team that is uncomprimisingly NOT going to allow anyone to beat them to the bottom for McDavid didn't want McBain.

Kind of wild that the cup winners do, but I bet it's not long term.

Edited by remkin

Sutter seems to think so:

“There’s a lot to go over with him. It’s way different coming to this conference. The pace of play is way different,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “He hasn’t played on a good team. Big difference. Good kid, good skill set. The next part is the game.”

It will be interesting to see how McBain actually does in LA.

Sutter is a great coach but.....HA!!!!

That's exactly what we thought (and Buffalo).... :coollaugh: yes LA is good enough to hide him, but let's see if he's still there later in the year...

Edited by remkin

Sutter is a great coach but.....HA!!!!

That's exactly what we thought.... :coollaugh: yes LA is good enough to hide him, but let's see if he's still there later in the year...

has anyone checked the Kings' message boards to see what their fans think of him?

How about the Buffalo boards?

Of course they're probably discussing the different jersey sizes of McDavid and Eichel.

Edited by remkin

Rask centering Staal and Tlusty today per M Smith, McClement, Semin, Skinner stay together and Dwyer centering the 4th line with Boychuk and Terry....INTERESTING!

I gotta say Peters is the man, but are we entering dart board line jumble time? I guess you gotta mix and match until it clicks.

I think Staal on the wing was inevitable and Rask has been responsible enough that it's worth a shot...it'll certainly give Mo something to think about and get ready for.

How far has McBain fallen? From bobblehead to almost falling out of the league and into the KHL, that's how far.

Hope he finds his game in LA.

It is becoming difficult to find the first line from the fourth line. Maybe a good thing.

It is becoming difficult to find the first line from the fourth line. Maybe a good thing.

I think it is a good thing and more difficult for the opponent to defense against.

Canes Practice 11/12/14

*Khudobin and Wardo first on the ice. Goalie coach(David Marcoux) had each goalie lay on their side while the other  goalie took shots. Goalies were scissor kicking upward for saves. Then each goalie lay on their side in the crease without moving while the other goalie took shots. Each had thirty seconds to see how many goals they could score. Obviously the shooting goalie had to get lift on the shot. Goalies also worked on rebounds by by blocking the initial shot then upward knee slide to the post for the second shot. Wardo in North goal and Peters has already announced he will be starting.

*Lines in practice were:

Skinner/McClement/Semin

Tlusty/Rask/Staal

Gerbe/Nash/Lindholm

Terry/Dwyer/Boychuk

I think we will see the Skinner line stay intact for awhile.

* Team spent significant time working on the breakout out of their defensive zone. First exercise was having the Dman pass directly to a forward at center ice line on the wing. Second exercise was a two pass outlet to the wing.

* Team spent time working a three on two drill with all lines participating. Time also spent on cycling the puck deep in the zone behind the net with outlet passes to the wings.

*Malone and Skinner had extra work on faceoff technique.

*Peters took Gerbe to the side and worked on gathering the puck and getting off a quick wrister. Worked on right and left hand shot.

*Time spent with all lines on crisp passing coming out of our d zone.

**Near freak accident when Gleason was skating backwards and then cut sideways. Cut across into Khudobin and both fell to the ice.

·         A few Whoa’s were heard in practice,one on a Khudobin save,the other on a backhand shot by McClement over Wards shoulder.

Peters definitely draws attention and has the team focused. No wasted time between drills. On a lighter side Peters threw a half dozen pucks over the boards to a young kids camp group that was in attendance. The kids were thrilled.

Good to see the entire coaching staff on the ice and doing their work individually and with the entire team. 

Thanks for the report slapshot.  Good stuff!

Not sure about the 175lb Dwyer at C. But I'm not a big fan of Malone so far either, so I don't know what else Peters could do if he wants to play E on the wing.  Rem, another example of why I want one more player ;).

Ignoring the lines, if we have to play someone "out of position" at center, I'd almost rather see Gerbe in the middle instead of Dwyer.  

Edited by LakeLivin