The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Penner is still out there unsigned.  Wasn't he the forward with the rep for weight and conditioning issues?  I wonder if that's the reason no one has taken a chance on him. Or maybe he has unrealistic salary expectations? 

Edited by LakeLivin

On line combinations, I find it hard to question anything Peters is doing.

So, I won't.

On trades, if we weren't trading in O-for-October we probably aren't looking to add anyone now.

Penner is still out there unsigned.  Wasn't he the forward with the rep for weight and conditioning issues?  I wonder if that's the reason no one has taken a chance on him. Or maybe he has unrealistic salary expectations? 

Exactly correct,conditioning issues have been his downfall the last several years.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of the reasoning behind that trade was a salary dump.  Ruu's contract is for $5m/ year through 2015-16.  At the point we traded him Ruu had 5 goals and 11 assists in 57 games played. Lokti was 23 years old, had 4 goals and 8 assists through 48 games at the point he was traded, and looked to maybe help us on the power play, arguably our biggest weakness last year.

All things considered, I don't see that trade as being all that wacky at all.

I don't disagree about his rationale, I just think the rationale is twisted.  He always looked to buy/trade his way out of issues instead of building an org and a steady pipeline of players. Thinking (hoping) a third-line center would just come in and turn around a PP that was serially bad for four years - after you've already improved parts of it with supposedly marquee players (J Staal, Semin) - well, to me that's magical thinking. At some point you have to let the kids you already own have a shot, and how many of us on these boards had already been saying that for years?

I don't think Lokti had anything going for him that Chris Terry did not, I just think JR controlled who came and went from Charlotte. It seems pretty clear that such decisions are now Peters', or at least fully discussed between Peters and Ronnie.

Shorter: I think JR was a control freak out to defend his exorbitant hires, and he'd only let go of them when he sensed the wagons (fans) were circling. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

Canes Practice 11/12/14

*Khudobin and Wardo first on the ice. Goalie coach(David Marcoux) had each goalie lay on their side while the other  goalie took shots. Goalies were scissor kicking upward for saves. Then each goalie lay on their side in the crease without moving while the other goalie took shots. Each had thirty seconds to see how many goals they could score. Obviously the shooting goalie had to get lift on the shot. Goalies also worked on rebounds by by blocking the initial shot then upward knee slide to the post for the second shot. Wardo in North goal and Peters has already announced he will be starting.

*Lines in practice were:

Skinner/McClement/Semin

Tlusty/Rask/Staal

Gerbe/Nash/Lindholm

Terry/Dwyer/Boychuk

I think we will see the Skinner line stay intact for awhile.

* Team spent significant time working on the breakout out of their defensive zone. First exercise was having the Dman pass directly to a forward at center ice line on the wing. Second exercise was a two pass outlet to the wing.

* Team spent time working a three on two drill with all lines participating. Time also spent on cycling the puck deep in the zone behind the net with outlet passes to the wings.

*Malone and Skinner had extra work on faceoff technique.

*Peters took Gerbe to the side and worked on gathering the puck and getting off a quick wrister. Worked on right and left hand shot.

*Time spent with all lines on crisp passing coming out of our d zone.

**Near freak accident when Gleason was skating backwards and then cut sideways. Cut across into Khudobin and both fell to the ice.

·         A few Whoa’s were heard in practice,one on a Khudobin save,the other on a backhand shot by McClement over Wards shoulder.

Peters definitely draws attention and has the team focused. No wasted time between drills. On a lighter side Peters threw a half dozen pucks over the boards to a young kids camp group that was in attendance. The kids were thrilled.

Good to see the entire coaching staff on the ice and doing their work individually and with the entire team. 

Great write-up slapshot! Thanks very much!

Ruutu, Lotki (or whatever his full name was), and somebody brought up if we had only kept Palushaji.

Seriously.

Look outside, it's not raining.

I think Lakelivin and I were the two proponents of keeping Palushaj. He is a natural RW and I believe he could of competed well if given the opportunity.

Not sure about the 175lb Dwyer at C. But I'm not a big fan of Malone so far either, so I don't know what else Peters could do if he wants to play E on the wing.  Rem, another example of why I want one more player ;).

Ignoring the lines, if we have to play someone "out of position" at center, I'd almost rather see Gerbe in the middle instead of Dwyer.  

On line combinations, I find it hard to question anything Peters is doing.

So, I won't.

On trades, if we weren't trading in O-for-October we probably aren't looking to add anyone now.

I'm certainly not questioning Peters.  An analogy as to my take on Peters so far: a chess Master who doesn't control what pieces he gets when the game starts.  I want to give him an extra rook.  My post was intended as what I'd like to see. If there was any subconscious questioning it's towards Canes mgmt (most likely PK), not Peters.

I see Peters as trying Dwyer at C as less likely something he'd ideally like to do then something he's forced to do to try to make the pieces he's got fit.

As far as Gerbe vs. Dwyer at center, I probably should have put that in a different post. That was more an offhand observation I thought might prove as an interesting theoretical discussion point, not a suggestion that I think Peters should play Gerbe at center.

Lake, I was just throwing my opinion out there.  Wasn't meant to be a reflection of anything you posted, just a response at the general discussion.

Edited by coastal_caniac

As much as Peters has tried to change things and bring a new standard of accountability to Carolina, one thing remains a constant as it has for years: slow starts. In recent years issues with goalies, defensive positioning, depth, top line scoring, injuries, power play woes, shootouts, and others have all taken their turn as 'the biggest problem' of the team. But the one that ALWAYS seems to be there is the slow start. And it is a killer. This season, for example, the Canes are tied for 4th best in the league for winning percentage when they score first. But they rank almost dead last, 29th in the league, when trailing after the first period.

It almost seems a characteristic of this franchise to sleep walk from the opening face-off. If Peters can somehow diagnose and fix that problem, the stats show it would impact wins a lot more than probably any other change or fix he could implement. Here's hoping...

Lake, I was just throwing my opinion out there.  Wasn't meant to be a reflection of anything you posted, just a response at the general discussion.

Even so, after I read back my post I saw how it could easily be interpreted as if I was questioning Peters choices. Once I noticed that, I wanted to clarify the language anyways.   The original post would have reflected my intent if I had ended with your sentence: "I find it hard to question anything Peters is doing."

I think Lakelivin and I were the two proponents of keeping Palushaj. He is a natural RW and I believe he could of competed well if given the opportunity.

Not only would I have liked to see what Peters might have been able to do with Palushaj (a fast natural right wing) at his disposal, I wouldn't have minded seeing him back in Charlotte if we weren't using him in Raleigh.  The Checkers are currently 29th out of 30 AHL teams. And looking at their roster, I'd be surprised if they have much chance of turning it around (said with the caveat that my actual knowledge of the players is limited to name recognition only)..  

Charlotte is the one place our depth issue shows. It's really a pipeline issue. Of course, it's harder to have a pipeline if they'er all playing in the NHL, but still...our prime prospect is in Juniors, and others in college. I still have high hopes for McGinn, but it does appear that he will need AHL basting and seasoning. After that....Chad LaRose? Just kidding...DiGuiseppe? Maybe, has some skills...Bieaga? I guess Ryan Murphy is now back to pipeline..

We do have some really promising prospects not in the AHL including our best goalie prospects, are our bluest chip: Fleury,  but at the moment, Charlotte is a bit thin. 

I cannot agree more with Red Storm. Sitting there last night watching all the play in our end and being outshot a million to one from the first puck drop...stunk out loud. Who leads the charge out the door? Where does that come from? Because we haven't had that in....a long time. We got away with it during the streak, and almost got away with it last night, but it will catch us for sure. It was one of Peter's big three. I really like Peters, but starting strong and winning at home were two things, and starting slow at home kills both. It's been through at least 3 coaches, so it's beyond my pay grade to figure out, but I agree it will kill us. 

Semin made zero shot attempts last night. Zero.

Trades: Too soon. I do think now that we are going to see this team get a chance to get J. back. If they had kept losing....if Cam keeps playing like this he will have trade value if we want to go that way, but the irony is that to do so, we need to see more good play out of Khudobin . John Forslund is convinced that Cam has elite skill and is better than Khudobin, and if the coaches think that too....could be interesting, but either way we could have goalie value rising. E. needs to shake yesterday off. Semin has played himself out of tradability. Could that be the goal? Zero shots.

How does it all come together? First, this team gets a real shot to show what it can do, especially w/ J. back. Then, if this little run ends up being a fluke (sadly that is possible), then we probably make some moves near the deadline, when, hopefully certain players have value. 

Seeing how deserted the PNC Center was last night, I'm not sure we can take a 2-3 year full on rebuild, and no one is going to beat Buffalo to the bottom, and as teams see the playoff lights fade, this year will be the most tempting ever to full on, well, sort of....tank. 

Anyway, this team had one total stinker last night in front of about 10 fans. Hopefully that game is as bad as we can play. 

The slow starts and Semin are the two things that need the most fixing.

Edited by remkin

Red Storm and rem, was unable to watch the 1st part of this game, and had given away my tickets to friends as we had a previous commitment, but watching the dvd'ed rehash, I certainly felt your agony. However in defense of this team, I have been impressed, More Times Than Not, this year that we are seeing the "slow start" mantra that had plagued us so frequently in the past being corrected! I really do not understand why that dreaded characteristic crept back into our game, but they need to lose it fast.

Do you think that the almost constant tinkering was the cause, or, are old habits just really hard to correct?

Capgeek reports McBain will get $100k at the AHL level.  And LA is so cap strapped they're only something like $11k under now that they've signed McBain to a minimum $ contract.  I'm guessing that the pool of experienced, unsigned, minimum salary D-men is so small LA probably didn't have many choices other than McBain.    

Edited by LakeLivin

It looks like Peters hasn't decided on lines for tomorrow. Indications are Staal will be back at center but otherwise it is a work in progress. Lindy and Harrison both hurt but could go.

At least Peters doesn't appear to be a coach that will stick with a flawed plan. He seems to be able to evaluate and make changes. If it doesn't work he looks at ways to fix it.

WE NEED Lindy for this game, time to get over the hump, and NOT JUST play well and lose in Boston,, time to outright win in Boston.. Survive initial onslaught first 10 minutes, .. need lindy... Please Staal and Semin wake up.... PLEASE.

Why would  we trade WARD if he is playing like the old Cam?

It's always tricky on trades, which might be part of why there aren't more changes. When it wasn't clear he would ever be back to the old Cam he had negative trade value (had to actually pay to move him). Then when his play improves his value improves, but why trade him?

I would trade him only if this season goes south and Khudobin shows more great play. If he could bring a good return in a rebuild it would be worth considering given injury history and history of having long stretches of sub par play.

I would not trade him right now unless the offer was to good to turn down.

Edited by remkin

Same garbage as last year, none of our our top 6 highly paid players scoring anything. Can't win if  nobody on the team can finish. To me this is our only major problem.  Not defense, not goaltending, not to many young guys, not coaching, Its all up to Staal, Skinner, Semin, Tlusy, Lindholm, Gerbe to guide this team to succes or failure right now. For the first time ever, I'm actually getting use to the idea of trading Staal, Skinner,Semin, Tlusty and starting over.  I know it can turn around fast, I sure hope it does or we are not gonna have a double digit goal scorerer on the team until 2015.

We are still only 5 points out of a playoff spot. I know its a long shot but I think I will hold on to this for awhile. Heck I'll probable hold on to it for as long as I can.

We are also 3 points from being the worst team in the league.  But you can still hang on to that.....if your in the McEichel sweepstakes.  :woohoo:

Edited by coastal_caniac

We're going to need another winning streak. The next several games will be tough though. So we need to at least keep near .500 over those games. This is a dangerous time because the schedule could easily deal a good team a bunch of losses over the near term.

But to win with the consistency we need, we need......all together now.... "our best players to be our best players".

If that happens, the structure is there.

When do we expect J back?

Edited by remkin