The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

January/February is my guess. The more this lack of top 3 production continues, the more I'm willing to just trade Eric. And he will be amazing on his next team. For some reason the guys who need to be able to score that one goal to tie the game just can't, and haven't been able to for some time now. And I don't see it changing anytime soon. It's depressing. I just want those getting paid to be game changers actually be game changers. They have the skills and should have the ability, and that is what is making fans get irritated and refuse to spend money on the team.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Guys, I know this missive is going to be another "singing to the choir", but I am just truly sick of being considered irrelative! It's almost a universal truism that when any, and I truly mean ANY, team plays us, it is regarded as a sure 2 points!

Seems the situation has gotten so bad, that not only do we routinely draw backup goalies, now we are seeing AHL level netminders!

In the face of this ongoing downward spiral, one would think that gurus in the front office would begin to offer some type of inducement to retain the fans. Just the opposite appears to be the case. Ticket prices increase, concessions are at a record high cost, and according to a friend of mine, the costs of sponsorship that the various businesses have been asked to sustain also increased!! I simply ask, have all front office people who oversee these elements been infected by the virus that PK contracted? The one that blinds him to his public image?

Granted, a few wins will right the ship, but it appears that the same malady that has plagued this team and organization, starting with the 06-07 season(8 yrs), with the single exception of 08-09, continues. Is there an end in sight? Will we ever get traffic if front of the net? Will our best begin to be "our best"? It's truly looking bleak for this year. Seems the writing was on the wall when our esteemed leader made his infamous "fans need to be patient" announcement. Little did I realize the ominous meaning to that utterance.

We are also 3 points from being the worst team in the league.  But you can still hang on to that.....if your in the McEichel sweepstakes.  :woohoo:

See, a win/win situation

I am glad I am not the only one thinking this.  It is almost as though they are trying to implode the organization with terrible price increases.  It would be different if the product on the ice justified the increase, but it unfortunately doesn't.  My family and I went to nearly 15-20 games per year.  We bought tickets the day of the game because we live about  1 1/2 hours away and had to juggle 2 kids sports schedules into the mix.  I can't afford to pay $400+ (depending on who they are playing) for what once cost us $280.  They say they did this to get the money from the visitors, I just don't understand that logic.  They wanted to force more season ticket holders, well that doesn't work all the time, especially when you live away from the area and have kids in school, work, etc.  Hats off to you season ticket holders, you are super troops.  I think they either want to claim bankruptcy or someone laid a huge egg on this situation.  I did go last week, free tickets, first game this year.  I think the plan was to offset the lack of ticket holders with concession sales increases. 

Guys, I know this missive is going to be another "singing to the choir", but I am just truly sick of being considered irrelative! It's almost a universal truism that when any, and I truly mean ANY, team plays us, it is regarded as a sure 2 points!

Seems the situation has gotten so bad, that not only do we routinely draw backup goalies, now we are seeing AHL level netminders!

In the face of this ongoing downward spiral, one would think that gurus in the front office would begin to offer some type of inducement to retain the fans. Just the opposite appears to be the case. Ticket prices increase, concessions are at a record high cost, and according to a friend of mine, the costs of sponsorship that the various businesses have been asked to sustain also increased!! I simply ask, have all front office people who oversee these elements been infected by the virus that PK contracted? The one that blinds him to his public image?

Granted, a few wins will right the ship, but it appears that the same malady that has plagued this team and organization, starting with the 06-07 season(8 yrs), with the single exception of 08-09, continues. Is there an end in sight? Will we ever get traffic if front of the net? Will our best begin to be "our best"? It's truly looking bleak for this year. Seems the writing was on the wall when our esteemed leader made his infamous "fans need to be patient" announcement. Little did I realize the ominous meaning to that utterance.

on of the Canes' marketing tactics is the price increase the week of the game.  totaly kills the walk-up crowd.   ignores the fact an unsold seat is lost revenue

January/February is my guess. The more this lack of top 3 production continues, the more I'm willing to just trade Eric. And he will be amazing on his next team. For some reason the guys who need to be able to score that one goal to tie the game just can't, and haven't been able to for some time now. And I don't see it changing anytime soon. It's depressing. I just want those getting paid to be game changers actually be game changers. They have the skills and should have the ability, and that is what is making fans get irritated and refuse to spend money on the team.

Except Eric has a NTC, and wants to stay.  Kinda kills our options, even if we get a good offer.

on of the Canes' marketing tactics is the price increase the week of the game.  totaly kills the walk-up crowd.   ignores the fact an unsold seat is lost revenue

Well on a successful team, it's a good plan to drive revenue for marquee games.  For us......not yet.

Its been said, if Staal , Skinner, Lindy, Gerbe cant score, wont matter .. we will lose  2 or 3-1..  Semin..?  SMH.

I agree about raising ticket prices in the middle of a long playoff drought. I have a 12 game plan, and the prices are very reasonable, but the single game ticket prices the week of the game are about double what they were when I bought my first season tickets in 2007.

Regarding the ticket price increases, the Hurricanes organization didn't just decide it would be a good idea - they are following the mandate of the CBA.

The CBA dictates that clubs that receive revenue sharing must keep pace with the league’s average ticket price. If the teams fall below 75 percent of the average they “shall be required to submit to the league and Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee a forward-looking three-year business plan to establish a framework for improving its financial performance.”

So basically, the high-end teams drive not only the salary small market teams must pay, they also drive the ticket prices their fans must pay. 

Remember when they had $10 tickets to walk up fans the day of the game?   My roomate and I used to got to about 20-25 games per year.  We'd get off of work, look at eachother and say "wanna go"  "heck yeah $10!"   Now I got to 2-3 games per year.  So is it better for the organization that there are two less screaming crazy fans there buying beer?  I can't even afford parking there now. sometimes I find $10 tix on stubhub for monday night games.  Wish I was rich so I could go to Canes games.  

I'm also sick of seeing everyone elses "star players" scoring like they are supposed to. Every year, Crosby,Ovechkin,Stamkos,Perry,Seguin,Giroux, do exactly whats expected of them. Meanwhile our stars are always struggling and going through long droughts. Arrrgggh, Cmon Staal, put it in the net man.

Regarding the ticket price increases, the Hurricanes organization didn't just decide it would be a good idea - they are following the mandate of the CBA.

So basically, the high-end teams drive not only the salary small market teams must pay, they also drive the ticket prices their fans must pay. 

I never knew this as well,helps kill some of the pain.

Except Eric has a NTC, and wants to stay.  Kinda kills our options, even if we get a good offer.

Well on a successful team, it's a good plan to drive revenue for marquee games.  For us......not yet.

I know, mentioned his name because he's really our only player desired by other teams that isn't part of our "young core" that would bring in an actually decent return.

Edit: Except maybe Sekera. 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/john-vogl/cap-hike-may-not-mean-lower-ticket-costs-20131222

Invisible, not to belabor this issue which has already been beaten to death, and certainly, I'm convinced that were we WINNING(what is that like), this angst would subside, and I will admit that you've taught me something, but just because the price of tickets apparently is set by the NHL, that does not account for the increased cost of parking, increased price of all concessions or the reduction of most, if not all of the inducements there have been in past years(ie-bobble heads, hats and all those other cheesy things).

In addition to the loss sustained in the "gate", imagine how businesses view their cost of sponsorship vs less fans to sell their pitch.

Now, I'll quickly admit that I'm the fartherest thing their is from a businessman, but this all makes no sense to my limited knowledge!

Then, I have just read that not only have they hobbled their product, but apparently they've added staff to do so! Now how does that work?

Buffalo and SJ played last night despite the city getting over 4 feet of snow (Buffalo, not San Jose :P). People were stranded in their cars. 

Last year a Canes - Sabres game in Buffalo was canceled due to poor weather, and Philly got the Canes - Flyers game canceled when Philadelphia had a forecast of 4-6 inches of snow. 

WTH? :blink:

Edited by LakeLivin

Could travel distance possibly enter into this decision, Lake? BTW, liked your response on Sasha on the other thread. It was much more poignant than my feeble attempt.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Could travel distance possibly enter into this decision, Lake? BTW, liked your response on Sasha on the other thread. It was much more poignant than my feeble attempt.

Are you asking if a 5 mile drive in Raleigh with light snow is somehow worse than 5 miles in Buffalo in 4 feet of snow?

SJ would have probably raised hell.  That's some travel distance for a make up game.

Lake effect snow is not widespread either, as it sets up in bands.  4 ft. is widely reported, but the band was very narrow.  It was typically much lighter in the wider area.

Yeah, I'm sure that was a big part of it. The thing that really annoys me isn't that they played Tues in Buffalo, it's that Philly pushed to have last years game postponed as much because it would have been their 7th game in 10 days as the weather (imo).  Philly declared a state of emergency, but the same storm system hit NYC and Washington and all of those teams played that night.

On my Semin post, yours came up between the time I started to write mine and actually finished it, so I didn't see yours until after posting.  Enigma is a good word for Semin; wish we knew more about what's up with him.

Wow, look at the ticket price table at bottom of article.  I guess we can't complain about ticket prices anymore.   Unbeleivable what they pay in other cities.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes-price-tickets-through-revenue-management-analytics/14201811/

Was discussing what I pay for a ticket with some family members from Chicago.  It literally did not compute to them.  They thought I was kidding.  It sound to them something like: "I just bought a brand new Acura sedan for $3000".

They drop $200 to $300 per ticket per game in the "cheap seat" sections. That didn't compute to me!

Edited by wxray1

I fleetingly saw this that Detroit was putting him on waivers, and hoped/day dreamed with Peters connection, he might prevail on RF to take a flyer!! Wow!!

OBer, my brief read was he was an up and coming player, but Detroit thought he needed more seasoning. They had to put him on waivers to make room for someone, but feared he'd be picked up. He's reputedly a center, so I don't know how we will deploy him. Unless I'm mistaken, we can not send him to Charlotte, right, or he'd again have to go thru waivers?