The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I'm sure Peters is familiar him.  Sounds like he's just trying to break into the league, and Detroit waived him to give him more playing time in Grand Rapids.

Hopefully, he is an upgrade from Malone.

He's listed as a forward, but he played exclusively right wing with Grand Rapids and Detroit.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Andrej Nestrasil
W | 6'2", 210 lbs. | Detroit
Birth Date:February 22, 1991 (23 years old)
Place of Birth:Prague, CZE
Shoots:L

Drafted:Drafted by Detroit in 2009 (3/75)

Scouting Report:
Assets: Is a big body with tremendous hands and overall skill. Is also versatile enough to be capable of lining up at all three forward positions.

Flaws: Still needs to work on his play without the puck and in defensive-zone coverage. Despite his size, he's not a very physical player either.

Career Potential: Talented, versatile forward with some upside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big, young player on a 2-way contract ($550k NHL, $82.5k AHL).  16g and 20a in 70 games with Grand Rapids of the AHL last year.   I like it!  Potential upside with litle risk; if he doesn't work out it doesn't cost us anything.

Edited by LakeLivin

Ok, this is a bit of Monday morning (Thursday afternoon? ;)) quarterbacking, but I just noticed that Malone has a 2-year, 1-way contract.  Ruh??

I take Nestrasil for my blood pressure.

OK I stole that from a comment I read under a story Nestrasil going on waivers. Only it wasn't blood pressure they said they took it for.

Interesting option. The management in Detroit admitted he was a guy people might take. But if you take him you have to put him on the roster. As you mentioned Lake, Malone might be that guy if he wasn't on a one way. Otherwise who do you send down? And don't say Semin!

There's nothing preventing us from putting Malone on waivers and reassigning him to Charlotte if he clears.  One-way contracts don't have anything to do with waivers.  And Malone is just above league minimum anyway so who cares.

Nestrasil has to be on the NHL roster for 30 days before he could be reassigned to Charlotte.  He would also have to clear waivers.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sure, but we'd have to pay Malone $650k to play in Charlotte.  Even though $ shouldn't dictate roster moves (outside of cap issues), I'm not so sure the Canes will live by that principle. Terry gets $300k in AHL and Boychuk $200k.  I wonder if we paid all that extra just because of Malone's size? Cause his past numbers doesn't come close to Terry, Boychuk, or even Palushaj . . .

The fact that Peters has been around him and the Detroit organization makes you think he knows exactly what he is getting.  That has to be a positive IMO.  Just can't imagine Peters doesn't have a plan for him and didn't know where he wanted to utilize him.  I for one am anxious to see what he can do.

Andrej Nestrasil
W | 6'2", 210 lbs. | Detroit
Birth Date:February 22, 1991 (23 years old)
Place of Birth:Prague, CZE
Shoots:L

Drafted:Drafted by Detroit in 2009 (3/75)

Scouting Report:
Assets: Is a big body with tremendous hands and overall skill. Is also versatile enough to be capable of lining up at all three forward positions.

Flaws: Still needs to work on his play without the puck and in defensive-zone coverage. Despite his size, he's not a very physical player either.

Career Potential: Talented, versatile forward with some upside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big, young player on a 2-way contract ($550k NHL, $82.5k AHL).  16g and 20a in 70 games with Grand Rapids of the AHL last year.   I like it!  Potential upside with litle risk; if he doesn't work out it doesn't cost us anything.

Terry is great in the shootout and is the only guy on the PP that can one-time a puck, unlike most of our other forwards.  IMO, that keeps him on the roster.

Edit: on second thought has Terry even been on the PP lately?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Wait, did we pick him up or are we just talking?

Edit: OH we did pick him up!

Cool. Wish I wasn't at work. Very interesting, since as mentioned Peters must know the guy!

Edited by remkin

Welp he get's a tryout with us (kinda, sorta) and if we think he's never going to work out he'll do the Boychuk around the world experience.

Per Bob McKenzie, we were not the only team to put a claim on him.

Being near the bottom does have it's perks.

From what I'm reading he can play LW,RW or center. Big kid with good hands. Not very physical for his size but uses his body well to shield the puck. My guess is Semin sits for awhile but not sure where we will slot this kid.

From what I'm reading he can play LW,RW or center. Big kid with good hands. Not very physical for his size but uses his body well to shield the puck. My guess is Semin sits for awhile but not sure where we will slot this kid.

Det fans say he is not good at anything but not bad at anything either.  Looks like an all-rounder with some upside.  I like that we are finally adding size and not going for smurfs.

Babcock:

“He’s a guy whose strong on the puck, good with the puck,” Babcock said earlier this season, per the Detroit Free Press. “He’s been good defensively, he’s been smart.”

Sounds like the kind of guy we could use. And the kind of guy coaches love to give chances to. Won't hurt you while you wait for the upside to show up.

Edited by remkin

The fact that Peters has been around him and the Detroit organization makes you think he knows exactly what he is getting.  That has to be a positive IMO.  Just can't imagine Peters doesn't have a plan for him and didn't know where he wanted to utilize him.  I for one am anxious to see what he can do.

A few teams behind us on waiver list were interested in him..

Babcock:

“He’s a guy whose strong on the puck, good with the puck,” Babcock said earlier this season, per the Detroit Free Press. “He’s been good defensively, he’s been smart.”

Sounds like the kind of guy we could use. And the kind of guy coaches love to give    OOPS REM SORRY DELETED REST OF YOUR SENTENCE...  iM SORRY.. :love:

I'll be interested to see if Peters slots Nestrasil, our new(sadly) #15, into the lineup tomorrow night against the Avs. Just read where their leading goal scorer, Alex Tanguay, sustained a broken jaw last night. Took a puck in the face off Ovachicken's stick! Twerp probably did it on purpose?? Although that may help us, I hate to see that in anyone.

Edited by remkin
fixed double post

Wow, look at the ticket price table at bottom of article.  I guess we can't complain about ticket prices anymore.   Unbeleivable what they pay in other cities.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes-price-tickets-through-revenue-management-analytics/14201811/

would like to know how many tickets are purchased by "average fans" rather than companies