The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

would like to know how many tickets are purchased by "average fans" rather than companies

To be sure, there is corporate support.

However, you might be surprised how much average people buy in some markets.  My family members spend about 3% of their gross wages per year on Hockey - FOR THREE GAMES.     They get to watch 7 1/2 hours of entertainment.  They spend little else on any other entertainment or travel because of this expenditure.

Alex Semin sits on his behind because he's pouting or whatever, and for that one game sitting, he makes more than my family member's 2 bread winner family makes in a year.

This fact is what irritates me about these entitled athletes.  Do they realize the sacrifice people make to watch them?

Man, the more I read what I just wrote above, the more I'm both perplexed and angered by what we fans put up with.  Sometimes, I'm just ready to walk away from sports all together.  On one hand, we're all crazy paying and sacrificing to watch these guys.  On the other hand, people (especially in this market) berate us for not supporting the team with our $ because they'll move.  There is a certain kind of madness going on here.

Edited by wxray1

On a side note,  Down goes Lucic.  Dalton Prout of the Blue Jackets does not fear the thug. Basically one punch. Can we get somebody like that?

The Hurricanes haven't been to the playoffs since 2008/2009. The Hurricanes have had 4 different coaches since 08. We look more competitive this season but are we any better.

Records through 20 games since our last playoff appearence:

2014/15         6-11-3   15pts
2013/14         8-8-4     20 pts  finished 13th in the conference
2012/13        11-8-1    23 pts  finished 13th in the conference
2011/12        6-11-3    15 pts  finished 12th in the conference
2010/11        9-9-2      20 pts  finished 9th in conference
2009/10        3-12-5    11 pts  finished 11th in conference

2008/09       11-7-2      22 pts  (last playoff year)  finished 6th conference

So we still have hope looking at the 08/09 turn around. But are we as good as that team or have we been treading water for the last 5 years?  The word patience echoes in my head.

Since we came off mega injury time we are 6-5-1. Still not very exciting, but that w/ Semin completely ineffective and J out.

I still have hope, but we're going to need a prolonged winning streak in there at some point.

There is a certain kind of madness going on here.

Yes, I think we are all borderline rabid at this point. I really want PK to sell this team to someone who is willing to invest. I "don't like our team" as is.

The Hurricanes haven't been to the playoffs since 2008/2009. The Hurricanes have had 4 different coaches since 08. We look more competitive this season but are we any better.

Records through 20 games since our last playoff appearence:

2014/15         6-11-3   15pts

2013/14         8-8-4     20 pts  finished 13th in the conference

2012/13        11-8-1    23 pts  finished 13th in the conference

2011/12        6-11-3    15 pts  finished 12th in the conference

2010/11        9-9-2      20 pts  finished 9th in conference

2009/10        3-12-5    11 pts  finished 11th in conference

2008/09       11-7-2      22 pts  (last playoff year)  finished 6th conference

So we still have hope looking at the 08/09 turn around. But are we as good as that team or have we been treading water for the last 5 years?  The word patience echoes in my head.

Dude, not to be a glass-half-empty guy, but a seven-point difference between our point total this year and the year we last made the playoffs doesn't translate into much hope from where I'm sitting - unless you completely ignore divisional realignment.

Look at the teams in our division. Were it not for their continued injury issues we'd be in last place by several points to the Jackets already.

I am increasingly convinced of Peter's/Ronnie's seriousness in saying we will work with what we have this year and make decisions about who stays in the offseason. If we fail miserably enough we get McDavid, if we get lucky and make the playoffs, that's desirable too - but it will only happen if this groups wants it to. We'll know pretty quickly; if we're not at .500 by mid-December, it ain't gonna happen - unless we put together about 20 consecutive wins December to the end of January. 

Dude, not to be a glass-half-empty guy, but a seven-point difference between our point total this year and the year we last made the playoffs doesn't translate into much hope from where I'm sitting - unless you completely ignore divisional realignment.

Lol..your telling me your glass is still half empty. In all honesty my glass was almost drained at the end of October. I will play the what if this happens and if only this would happen into January. It is harder to make the playoffs now. I just always hedge my bet.

The real point of the post is have we really improved that much if at all over the past half decade.  I say we have improved because we are more competitive, we are identifying who we will keep and some of our young players are getting experience.  But I have said this all before.

As for this season the climb is steep.

bottom line: at the quarter mile point the Canes are just one point out of a tie for the bottom of the Conference.  they will need to put together some sort of win streaks to climb out of that hole

The losses are piling up to a point that we may not be able to recover or dig out.. Its sucks because we actually have looked pretty good most games, just can't get it done.  It seems like we could be a competitor in this league with this team and system and coaching staff but the whole is beginning to get to deep.

All is not lost. There is a lot to watch from this team IMO. We get to watch how this team is being built. We get to see some of the young players develop while some of our younger main stays begin to emerge as team leaders. We are playing competitive games and should win a share of them. We will also see some of our favorite players or prospects go as the team is restructured.

We  get to see Peters system take shape and see Peters develop as an NHL coach as the team becomes his.

We will get to see Francis make his first big move at some point. We will be watching. So far the small moves he has made seem to be taking the team in the right direction.

and you never know we could witness a miracle like turn around.

Cane are practicing today. According to Michael Smith the lines are Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin Gerbe-Nash-Lindholm Skinner-Rask-Nestrasil Boychuk-McClement-Dwyer. Bellemore not skating.

The ever changing lines continue. Not sure Semin played well enough to get back on the top line. Though at this point what is our top line?

The losses are piling up to a point that we may not be able to recover or dig out.. Its sucks because we actually have looked pretty good most games, just can't get it done.  It seems like we could be a competitor in this league with this team and system and coaching staff but the whole is beginning to get to deep.

I think you meant "hole", but the way you write it has a certain kind of poetic truth to it that I really like.

With potentially 110 points (goals and assists) injured or not playing to snuff and considering that those points amount to roughly .8 to 1 goal a game in some form or fashion (no telling how many goals against it could erase). Really doesn't surprise me we can't get over the seemingly small hump to change close games from L's to W's.

Edited by legend-1

The ever changing lines continue. Not sure Semin played well enough to get back on the top line. Though at this point what is our top line?

Do agree about Semin, but the thing is that we need him. We've paid him 7 mill/year to create offense. We need that.

To me the odds are that Semin either works on the top line with Staal and produces nicely or it is a bust. Clearly so far this year it is the latter, but it is still worth trying to crank that engine a few more times. Maybe it'll start one of these times.

The rest of the lines is more of the Peter's theory of spreading the wealth and getting scoring threats across at least 3 lines.

Do agree about Semin, but the thing is that we need him. We've paid him 7 mill/year to create offense. We need that.

To me the odds are that Semin either works on the top line with Staal and produces nicely or it is a bust. Clearly so far this year it is the latter, but it is still worth trying to crank that engine a few more times. Maybe it'll start one of these times.

The rest of the lines is more of the Peter's theory of spreading the wealth and getting scoring threats across at least 3 lines.

Might as well.  Worse case he continues not shooting, gets waived and sent to Charlotte, and bolts for the KHL, saving us $7mil and a roster spot.  Best case he get his mojo back and if we get a good draft pick and are healthy next year we make the playoffs.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Bellemore on IR; Jordan recalled from Checkers.

I wonder if he gets to sit or we get to see him play

lol..ask a question get an answer ,,,in seconds

Chip Alexander @ice_chip

Jordan will play against FLA, Peters says. Harrison will be extra D and then play against Pens.

On the Charlotte Express

RALEIGH, NCRon Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that forward Chris Terry has been assigned to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL) on a conditioning stint.

I think conditioning assignments are still 14 days. Does anyone know for sure?

Consistently changing up the lines is something I criticized Muller for during his time here and now we are seeing much of that from Peters. However, despite the record not backing it up, I actually feel comfortable with how Peters is handling the changes. The in-game adjustments he makes are impressive and I believe he knows what he's doing. The latest practice lines look great to me and I'm excited to see how they look tomorrow night.

Tlusty - Eric - Semin

Gerbe - Nash - Lindholm

Skinner - Rask - Nestrasil

Boychuk - McClement - Dwyer

Semin looked more confident last game. He was still too hesitant to shoot which I will never understand considering the rifle he has. With that said, he looked much better defensively and made some nice passes. Hopefully that improvement along with allowing him back on the top line will give him even more confidence in his game. This also allows Lindholm to slide back down to the 2nd line with Gerbe and Nash. Those guys looked great together earlier this season and I think they have some serious chemistry. Very excited to see that line together again. Skinner has been bounced around quite a bit this season but I think he is a guy that can be dynamic no matter what line he is on. Rask has proven to be a solid 2-way player and Nestrasil is only one game into his career here but I liked his positioning on the ice. I can see him being a nice compliment to Skinner and Rask. As far as the 4th line is concerned, I love the speed combination of Dwyer and Boychuk. This line may not put up a lot of points but they work hard.