The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

All I care about is the value that the Canes are getting.The stats are great to know from a league perspective,but I think everyone already knew Carolina was not getting the dollar value from Semin and the rest of our high paid prima donna's. I enjoy watching the youngsters who are skating and giving 100% at a very low cost.

He is actually #49 when you sort it by "worst value"

Hainsey is currently rated at #10 on that chart.

http://www.capgeek.com/bargain-hunter/?mode=players&stat=P&position=-1&sort=DESC

First, very interesting. I got into it and made a few other discoveries.

1. A lot of the underpeformers are defensive d men, like Haisney, which is really not helpful.

IF you pull out the defensemen, Semin is #18 worst value (there are about 360 forwards on the ice at any time league wide).

2. That is points. Semin's 5 assists put him ahead of some guys who have zero or one point.

IF YOU GO BY GOALS, SEMIN IS THE #1 WORST VALUE IN THE LEAGUE.

3. Nash is #1 as mentioned, and Terry is #22, Boychuk #48, Rask #97 best values in the NHL (and this includes Dmen, so out of nearly 600 players).

4. The Hurricanes as a team are #3 WORST at points produced per dollar as a team payroll. (Right ahead of the Oilers and the Blue Jackets, and one better than Buffalo).

If Nash, Terry, Boychuk, and Rask are all amount the best values in the league, but we are #28 overall, then that tells you that our best players are not our best players so to speak.

Further, if you look at the teams list from top to bottom there is a loose, but quite defninite correlation with point per dollar production and success this year. The teams getting value tend to be winning, and the teams not getting value tend to be losing.

Caveat. Not only is Semin #1 worst goal value forward, but we are paying J. to be injured, not sure if they pulled long term injury guys out.

CONCLUSION: To really have any hope, our top paid players must start producing at least close to what they are being paid to do. #1 on that list is of course, Alexander Semin.

Top players must produce with some consistent basis which these guys have a horrible history of.. Drop 8 win 5, drop 6 etc.. and of course seldom ever win the must games, or the timely win to move up in the standings... one night they cant score, but the net minder is great. then the next they score 3 and lose 4-3...  After a few flicks of hope this season, Im convinced its time to place hope for a high pick, and a total blow up of this team..

Top players must produce with some consistent basis which these guys have a horrible history of.. Drop 8 win 5, drop 6 etc.. and of course seldom ever win the must games, or the timely win to move up in the standings... one night they cant score, but the net minder is great. then the next they score 3 and lose 4-3...  After a few flicks of hope this season, Im convinced its time to place hope for a high pick, and a total blow up of this team..

They ain't gonna blow up the whole team, but if the top-paid players over the age of 25 don't start lighting it up soon, they'll be packing it up for points (currently) unknown.

As stupid as I may be, I realize they are not.... However from a pure business side of things, why keep the top line (outside of contracts and so forth).. WHO wants to pay (note the empty seats) to see it?? Something close to 17 million this yr for E/Sem/Tu????? Beg/trade/barter whatever, but this team needs a skilled leadership type first line..

As stupid as I may be, I realize they are not.... However from a pure business side of things, why keep the top line (outside of contracts and so forth).. WHO wants to pay (note the empty seats) to see it?? Something close to 17 million this yr for E/Sem/Tu????? Beg/trade/barter whatever, but this team needs a skilled leadership type first line..

Very honestly, I'm beginning to think that, Peters'/RF's beginning-of-season intentions notwithstanding, it becomes increasingly difficult to keep the team we have all season to "fully evaluate what we've got" when it's only taken a little more than a month to already answer that question: a top line that simply cannot step up when necessary (let alone dominate on every shift), and a stable of youngsters that it becomes increasingly unfair to continue holding back.

In another 2-1/2 months teams in need of talent for their playoff runs will come knocking, with lots of money and lots of prospects with great upsides they are willing to let go of on the chance that a Staal or a Tlusty - and maybe even a Semin - will take them to the promised land. Now, maybe, if Peters takes out his "hammer" and demotes the whole first line to fourth, they wake up. Let's say that (most improbable) of scenarios came to pass. How long does the improvement last? 

That fact that such a drastic step even seems worthy of consideration, in my view, tells me all we need to know. It simply houldn't take that kind of manipulation to get the best out of players who make more money in one game than most people make in a year.

You too Coastal. :cheers:

Playoffs aren't gonna happen this season, but I have a feeling we're at our bottom rather than still sliding down.  I'm hoping we're working towards an "Islanders/ Flames" type turnaround next year.

In a perfect world I'd keep Lindholm, Nash,Nestrasil, Rask, Skinner,Faulk, Sekera, our goalies and build around them. Everyone else could go.I'm hoping Sekera isn't let go,let's sign him before the trade deadline. Give Nash a big raise.Ronnie won't be able to move all the other prima donna's,but the more the better.

Happy Thanksgiving Fellow Canes Fans,

I'm thankful we have our team, and hoping for better times ahead.

Excellent post Coastal. Happy Thanksgiving to you. I'm a proud Canes fan as well.

mPtHoI.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving Coastal and all you Caniacs, this time from Pigeon Forge, TN, where the game was not on last night, but the reply was on today. Why watch a replay of a loss on Thanksgiving, on vacation? I'm a nut, but not that much of one. 

Edited by remkin

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Had a chance to watch a practice this week.  Pretty clear what the plan was in practice for breaking out of the defensive zone, especially when the middle is clogged. I like what Peters is doing after seeing practice first-hand this week.  

Pretty clear that most of the new guys are on board with executing the plan, but most obvious that 28 is not on board with the cross ice passes he's attempting.  Easy to pick on 28 right now, but I'll say I'm a fan of his, know he has the skill, and want to see him succeed. Unfortunately he's not with the Peters program, and that will get him nowhere (or elsewhere).

It was very noticeable on a late game shift when Lindholm took his spot and the 1st line has its best shift of the night without 28. Lindy played up the wall pretty strong while out there for a guy his age.

If you consider the overall observations of fans who post here about our top players failing to produce it has been the same for last year and the latter part of the lockout year, not just this year.  Expecting that to change is unrealistic.  I'm expecting a full blown youth movement at the trade deadline.  I just don't see the top guys delivering, and its been that way for more than the past 20+ games if you think about.

Fortunately the younger nucleus is pretty good, and their getting valuable experience.  I know, consolation and high draft pick is what that will get you.  That's not what we all want to hear, but seems to be our reality.

In a perfect world I'd keep Lindholm, Nash,Nestrasil, Rask, Skinner,Faulk, Sekera, our goalies and build around them. Everyone else could go.I'm hoping Sekera isn't let go,let's sign him before the trade deadline. Give Nash a big raise.Ronnie won't be able to move all the other prima donna's,but the more the better.

I kinda agree except I do think that Jordan staal would actually thrive in this system.

Oh and happy thanksgiving everyone !

Edited by caryhurricanes

I think Gerbs, Dwyer and McClement are also keepers, and Terry and Boychuk should stay with the big club. 

We basically need to trim the over-25 forwards who are shooting more holes in our payroll than Swiss cheese but producing Monterey Jack.

I'd also like to see what Jordan can do over a full season without the millstone of Eric around his neck. I think he is potentially a Brindy-type talent (and leader) who needed to get out from under the shadow of his former teammates in PBurgh, and now from that of Eric here, in order to really shine. He is young enough to get bitten by the infectiousness of the yutes' energy; we saw that in the second half of last season. The potential in a top line of Skins-Jordan-Lindy, a second of Nasty-Nash-Gerbs and depth centers like Rask and McClement already sounds waaaay better to me than what we're icing now, and the money we save on E, Sems and Tlusty could bring a Tyler Myers or similar top-two D man. Given the D talent we've got on the farm, this approach would give us a young team with bottomless scoring potential and - most important - buy us the time we need to deepen the talent pool in the minors in order to build a lasting conduit of talent based on the Detroit model.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I kinda agree except I do think that Jordan staal would actually thrive in this system.

Oh and happy thanksgiving everyone !

I think Gerbs, Dwyer and McClement are also keepers, and Terry and Boychuk should stay with the big club. 

Well I agree with Jordan,I didn't include him due to not knowing how he will respond from his inury. I don't agree with Gerbs,Dwyer or Mc Clement. I love Gerb's drive and effort every game but he is not a point producer. I think last year was a big year for him,this year not so much. I don't have any real interest in keeping Dwyer or McClement. if we can off load some of the top salary prima donna's we could afford more talent than Dwyer or McClement have to offer.

I'm starting to think it's time to move Eric. I still believe he has some good years left in the tank and it would suck to see him leave but I also think we need to "pass the torch" and move on from the Eric Staal era. The young guys are playing so well (often times better than the veterans) and I'd like to start building around them. I want add more young pieces and more picks. 

Edited by TheFaulker

Wonder how Jordan would react if big brother was moved?

Not saying we shouldn't, but that's what I think of when I read the suggestion.

Edited by coastal_caniac

When is Jordan scheduled to return?

I can't wait to see this team with Eric, Jordan, Nash down the middle.

Edit: just read January. Hopefully we can get a little streak going in December before his return.

Edited by TheFaulker

When Jordan Staal comes back there will be two big questions:

1. How long will it take to get back to consistent play? (Probably not this season)

2.How does it effect the team chemistry that has been growing this season? ( I think it was 09-10 season when we had 3 or 4 out and when they came back we disappeared.)

When Jordan Staal comes back there will be two big questions:

1. How long will it take to get back to consistent play? (Probably not this season)

2.How does it effect the team chemistry that has been growing this season? ( I think it was 09-10 season when we had 3 or 4 out and when they came back we disappeared.)

During the Aftermath, Peters said Jordan was close and would be working out.

This team appears (to me) to be improving. We are maybe three players away from having a good team. We are still probable a season away from making a playoff challenge. Some changes will need to be made (IMO) but you can begin to see where we are going. We are beginning to rebuild and I'm encouraged by the play of some of the younger players.

There is still a lot of the season in front of us so I won't give up on a miracle just yet but I will be satisfied if the team keeps improving and plays competitive hockey this season.