The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I think it's pretty obvious this is an evaluation year of the entire system. With that said, I'm not at all psurprised in the moves, or as some see it, the lack of moves.

coastal,I agree 100 percent and have.posted the same previously.The canes do not want to add anyone new however low the cost.I sense they don't want to add a.low talent bottom 6 guy if they.are.just going to let him go next year.No sense.to cause more problems next year with someone they can't move.The managements behavior is showing that evaluating the existing.core is priority and then to.make.quality

trades if available.

The only downside to guys picked up on waivers is that they have to be on the roster. Is this player currently as good with more upside or currently better than what you have. The bar is not particularly high at the moment.

Fortunately there are guys looking at this type of thing who know what they're doiing. I'm just a fan, but that said, it seems to me it make some sense while Skinner is out to look at a guy like this. If, by the time Skinner returns, there are guys who are better options than Panik, then you waive him. He either gets picked up or you send him to Charlotte. It's very low risk in my humble and amateur opinion!

Fortunately there are guys looking at this type of thing who know what they're doiing. I'm just a fan, but that said, it seems to me it make some sense while Skinner is out to look at a guy like this. If, by the time Skinner returns, there are guys who are better options than Panik, then you waive him. He either gets picked up or you send him to Charlotte. It's very low risk in my humble and amateur opinion!

So as not to repeat myself I'll just say :goodpost: .

And point out another upside to someone like Panik (besides his name :grin:): he's an RFA next year.  If he doesn't work out we just let him walk.  But if he does, we can likely re-sign him at a much reduced cost to what a similarly contributing veteran would command.  And for a franchise like ours that could be important.

Guys, I gotta say - most of us had accepted Skinner-Rask-Lindy as a viable second line during preseason. The only thing that's changed is Skinner's out - but we're replacing him with a guy, in Gerbe, who has all his skills AND an ability to avoid "spinning into" unintentional elbows!

My guess is Peters, while very disappointed at losing Skinner, was thrilled to have Gerbe to go to. Talk about a tailor-made opportunity to prove you're a top-six guy. And I think Gerbe will run with it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

I love Gerbe. I have predicted a big year for him. But Skinner is a star. At some point somebody is going to have to put the puck in the net. Now don't get me wrong. I see Gerbe putting up 20. But I saw Skinner pushing 40.

My fear is a lot of guys skating around in a very nice fashion and not scoring. That's what our AHL guys like Bowman have tended to do. Not Gerbe. Bad example, but Gerbe to the second leave his hole on the third.

Rask has looked like a guy who might put up some points, but hasn't yet.

Just hope someone in the bottom 9 can show some serious scoring chops.

Sounds crazy but what do you guys think about Ray whitney? I have no idea what kind of a salary he would want but I honestly believe that he would fit in on the 1st or 2nd line and I can also see him on the power play. Thoughts?

Guys, I gotta say - most of us had accepted Skinner-Rask-Lindy as a viable second line during preseason. The only thing that's changed is Skinner's out - but we're replacing him with a guy, in Gerbe, who has all his skills AND an ability to avoid "spinning into" unintentional elbows!

My guess is Peters, while very disappointed at losing Skinner, was thrilled to have Gerbe to go to. Talk about a tailor-made opportunity to prove you're a top-six guy. And I think Gerbe will run with it.

TS- personally, I'm hopeful that Rask can effectively man the 2nd line C position till J gets back.  But I fear that he's going to be significantly over-slotted up there.  I'd have felt better about it if he'd have had a breakout season in Charlotte last year in addition to a break out Canes camp this fall.  I also fear that many of us are projecting unrealistic expectations on him that he's going to find hard to live up to.  But I'd LOVE to be wrong!

Gerbe: what remkin said about losing Skinner above. But Gerbe is maybe our only bottom 6'er who I'm comfortable seeing move into the top 6 to fill in for an injury for any length of time.  I hope that after a bit I view Rask in the same light, but I need to see him maintain the same performance level he showed in preseason over at least a month or so of actual NHL play before i get there.  More "Gerbes" are exactly what we need (what he brings, not his size :P )  .   

Edited by LakeLivin

Let's officially add Boychuk to that list.After all the pre-season hype...a total bust. I did think Terry had a better shot than Boychuk,but I don't think he will be a big producer.The bottom 6 is still lacking any valuable scoring potential.If we have another key injury,the season could be over in November.I am thrilled I gave up my season tks 2 years ago so I don't have to go through 40+ games a year.Way to much pain to watch a team that management did nothing significant to improve.I also will not attend an individual game until the team improves.Raise the tkt price,parking,concessions for a sub par team....no thanks.PK,no need to wait 6 years to sell,please sell the team to someone who cares to improve the team.BP and RF can't rebuild if the owner won't open up the pocket book.

Sounds crazy but what do you guys think about Ray whitney? I have no idea what kind of a salary he would want but I honestly believe that he would fit in on the 1st or 2nd line and I can also see him on the power play. Thoughts?

There are times when signing a 42yo "elder statesman" like Whitney would make sense.  But I don't see it for this team, especially since he's a LW, where we're already overloaded.

There are times when signing a 42yo "elder statesman" like Whitney would make sense.  But I don't see it for this team, especially since he's a LW, where we're already overloaded.

Also, callling up guys from Charlotte give the team a chance to evaluate our AHL player developement.

Give me Scott Walker. Stand up guy who never started a fight but was certainly willing to end one.Probably would have sent Niskanen to the nurse.

Edited by winger52

Also, callling up guys from Charlotte give the team a chance to evaluate our AHL player developement.

What is AHL player development?

Remkin---I love Gerbe. I have predicted a big year for him. But Skinner is a star. At some point somebody is going to have to put the puck in the net. Now don't get me wrong. I see Gerbe putting up 20. But I saw Skinner pushing 40.

Skinner will have several 40-50 goal seasons by time his career is over if he can learn to protect himself better.  Imagine him on a team that has chemistry, playmakers, and wins a lot, he would be scoring every night.  Hopefully that will be us sooner than later. Put him on Pittsburghs top line or even second line and you know he would be approaching 100points easy every year.  Once we get Jordan back if everyone can stay healthy he could do it on that line or somewhere down the road find chemistry with Eric and Semin.  I have extreme high hopes for Skinner, he has not peaked yet and hasn't had a chance to play a full season with real top 6 playmakers since his rookie one it seems.  I wish he would spend a summer putting on 15lbs of muscle.  He got better last year at not putting himself in vulnerable positions as often but one time is one time to many.  He's gotta fix it.  Here's to hoping it was a very minor concussion and he will be back in another week, maybe two and won't be gun shy.

Edited by danimal-ch1

Jeff Hamilton is a RW.  He'd fit right in, no?  And he's 5 years younger than Whitney.

---

(The above is just a joke... I've had enough of the old guys.  I loved Whit, but his time has passed.  Best of luck to him while he enjoys time with his family.) 

+1

Did anyone else see that Skinner is listed in the opening day lineups? http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=733548  This was posted yesterday morning. That can't be right. Maybe the injury is not as bad as originally thought? Either way he is not listed as being hurt. Weird.

That's the opening day roster, not the opening day lineup.  The list distinguishes players on LTIR (Jordan) but would a player that's just on short term IR be taken off the roster? I'm guessing not.  A player formally listed as IR is ineligible to play for 7 days; maybe there's a chance that Skinner will be back sooner than we fear?  

Jeff Hamilton is a RW.  He'd fit right in, no?  And he's 5 years younger than Whitney.

--The above is just a joke... I've had enough of the old guys.  I loved Whit, but his time has passed.  Best of luck to him while he enjoys time with his family.) 

Gump Worsley!

p-977385-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-ph

That's the opening day roster, not the opening day lineup.  The list distinguishes players on LTIR (Jordan) but would a player that's just on short term IR be taken off the roster? I'm guessing not.  A player formally listed as IR is ineligible to

play for 7 days; maybe there's a chance that Skinner will be back sooner than we fear?  

Players on IR do not count against the roster limit, and as far as I know, Skinner has not been placed on IR.

Teams often wait until they are sure the player will miss the full time required before placing them on IR, especially if there is any doubt how long the player will need to be out. (In other words, they won't place them on IR until the seven days are already up, or close to it.) Then the team will place the player on IR retroactively from when they were injured.

That ensures the player can be activated from IR as soon as they are ready to play, and not end up missing any games unnecessarily from being stuck on IR after they are healthy.

So yes, that leaves open the possibility that Skinner will be back earlier, but I assume it is more of a "just in case" move rather than any real belief that he will return sooner, since it doesn't hurt to leave the option available.

Players on IR do not count against the roster limit, and as far as I know, Skinner has not been placed on IR.

Teams often wait until they are sure the player will miss the full time required before placing them on IR, especially if there is any doubt how long the player will need to be out. (In other words, they won't place them on IR until the seven days are already up, or close to it.) Then the team will place the player on IR retroactively from when they were injured.

That ensures the player can be activated from IR as soon as they are ready to play, and not end up missing any games unnecessarily from being stuck on IR after they are healthy.

So yes, that leaves open the possibility that Skinner will be back earlier, but I assume it is more of a "just in case" move rather than any real belief that he will return sooner, since it doesn't hurt to leave the option available.

Thanks IC.  Maybe you can confirm/ clarify something else for me. I knew players on IR don't count against the 23 man limit.  But the salary of a player placed on IR (we're not including LTIR or the roster emergency exception) does continue to count against the salary cap, right?