The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Hey, no offense on Boychuk. I agree he is not looking like a high end guy.

Where I part company is this. Boychuk has learned to to the third line thing. One of those value guys, who could put up near 20 goals from the 3rd line while being defensively responsible. Doubt he has much trade value.Maybe as a throw in.

Tlusty is a guy who might be a B+ guy with trade value. Maybe maybe a first rounder if he can get back to potting goals. That said, 3 first graders do not equal a 3rd grader. Terry, Malone, Boychuck, etc are not likely to return a good player.

E has been rumored to bring return. Tlusty might. Ward would, but not sure if enough to be worth trading him. Semin? Not as is.

Oddly, the two most tradeable guys are E and Tlusty, and Ward if we want to let him go....

I do wonder if Nash might be a tweener that brings something.

Malone....how can I put this....more talent than I could ever dream off....but not NHL talent.

So, you like our group?

: ducks and runs :

We have an *awesome* team!  Yes!   I love what I'm seeing in this Philly game.  Right. :hairpull:

We have an *awesome* team!  Yes!   I love what I'm seeing in this Philly game.  Right. :hairpull:

If I didn't have to be at work in an hour, I'd be on my 2nd six pack.

Where I part company is this. Boychuk has learned to to the third line thing. One of those value guys, who could put up near 20 goals from the 3rd line while being defensively responsible. 

I have been waiting patiently.

Tlusty is a guy who might be a B+ guy with trade value. Maybe maybe a first rounder if he can get back to potting goals. That said, 3 first graders do not equal a 3rd grader. Terry, Malone, Boychuck, etc are not likely to return a good player.

Nope, I agree but a package deal with Tlusty or Eric in some fashion may bring a better player.

E has been rumored to bring return. Tlusty might. Ward would, but not sure if enough to be worth trading him. Semin? Not as is.

I wouldn't trade Ward at this point either. Especially since Khudini is 0-7-2

Oddly, the two most tradeable guys are E and Tlusty, and Ward if we want to let him go....

I do wonder if Nash might be a tweener that brings something.

Nash could be a piece that brings us something,just not sure what we would get in a straight up trade.

Malone....how can I put this....more talent than I could ever dream off....but not NHL talent.

Agreed, Were stuck with him next year as well unless he can be packaged with another player. 

I can't really argue with you on Boychuk. He has shown tenacity and good defensively, but is not actually putting up the goals at the rate I'm talking about. He is on a prorated 11 goal pace. He has spent time in a clear checking role a lot. He's been close a couple more times. It's tough too when you are on a checking line on a team that doesn't score as a team.

Our problem offensively is lack of production and developement of high end guys, and it is pretty unlikely Boychuk is that. His AHL numbers leave the slim possiblity out there, but not likely. Thus Boychuk, can be put in the group of about 9 other guys and pick your role players, and eventually move the rest.

Funny thing is, as things are sliding off the table, and as Conner McDavid looms larger, if we move some bigger names and want to employ some strategic roster moves, giving guys like Boychuk prime time top 6 minutes could lead to one of them surprising offensively.

Edited by remkin

2-8, 15 goals over those ten games. My only question is: Do we start planning for the future as soon as possible, or wait for the trade deadline? Before the season started I thought the Canes had the potential to be the worst team in the league. I hate it when I'm right. I have to believe the franchise is at a very critical point. I believe the coaching staff is good. They need to get some talent in the draft, and they need some success on the ice. Attendence looks way down, and it isn't going to get better unless they start to win. If things don't get better within the next couple seasons, I wonder about the future of the NHL in Raleigh.

I'm not sure I want to see Boychuk/Terry/??? carrying top 6 minutes. I think that is taking a step back,but might be inevitable if we move Tlusty and Eric.We can't make all of the required changes overnight. Next year could be more painful than this year until all of the chess pieces are moved.What I'm really hoping that we don't do if we have a top three pick is to take Noah Hanifin. I believe scoring goals should be our number one priority.

Everything now is pointed long term.

On seeing Boychuk/Terry/ etc in the top 6. Not only does it truley give one of them a chance to step up, and for us to get a good look at them, but it helps the strategic roster management race to the bottom.

As to when to make moves, again, it is all pointed long term. As long as the current team keeps losing, and this is going to rub some the wrong way, but as long as we keep losing, there is no rush.

This is the ironically enviable position we are in. We are, for the earliest time ever, completlely done. This year is toast.

But, we have a brand new GM and coach who are many seats down from the hot seats.  They can afford to be very patient. Why? This thing is over. Already. It is over. But Francis has not yet begun to fight. The paint is still drying on his GM sign.

On top of that, the mandate is to stop trying to fix things w/ patches. So, "don't just do something, stand there" is fine. Sure, he needs to make a deal eventually, but losing this year is now a potentially good thing. The bigger rush to make a trade now would be if we started winning, get that false hope up, while moving needlessly down the draft board.

The other thing about just plain flat out stinking is this. If E. not wanting to move was an issue, this massive losing, should both free Francis up to say, "Eric, we tried, but you understand...." AND E. might actually want to move on. Or anyone else w/ a NTC.

Time to open up the "available" sign on players and start seeing what offers might be out there. But no rush to make a bad deal. 

Get first and second round picks. Finish #30. The bounce back could be pretty quick.

Edited by remkin

Id rather see our so called top guys traded for prospects already in a system that shows promise, rather than 2nd or 3rd rounders.. Nonetheless whatever happens, we need new blood, cause this team has lost the congregation and the choir... 

Remkin has officially embraced the tank.  Is there room in there for a loader?

You know, (cause I know you go back far enough to know), that I'm all about engineering the high draft pick at the GM level once playoffs are out. I think the coach and the players have to always play to win the game, have to. But the idea of creative personell management is different. I've caught a lot of flack for advocating it in the past.  But I can't recall being in favor of anything remotetly like that this early in the year. It's nuts, but I will say this, the prize is pretty big this year, and other GM's are going to be tempted. Getting to the bottom might take a full year committment.

Again I say, had J and Semin been healthy and E. more than an imitation of his former self, I'd be all about playoffs this year. But it is apparent, even to me, that it is just not to be.

Ironically, if one had said during the offseason: "OK: Semin, E, J, Ward, Khudobin. IF only one of those is seriously on his game by December, which one would it be?" Who would have picked Ward? GNR, are you reading this? I guess you can't really respond...anyway, I doubt many would have picked Ward. OK, it is what it is.

Move the parts that have to go. Get bad, but play hard. Do I finally have some Amen's that finishing mid pack just out of the playoffs is just about THE worst place to be at the end of the NHL season?

I think that's my new phrase: "Get Bad. Play Hard. Pick first. Change everything".

Well here we are again. Another season of our captain being MIA. Take pictures  of him in a red and white striped sweater and tuque and photo shop them to kids online with the heading "Where's Eric".  The literary income may help offset the loss of ticket income.

A captain helps his teammates become better players, so who is better?  How many different forwards and how many different line combinations over the years? Is he possibly a coach killer?  1. Mo, 2. Lavi, 3. Mo, 4. Kirk, 5. Peters,  five in less than 10 years. I hope he has been socking away some of that big contract money. I cannot foresee any team offering anywhere near the money he's making now.

And while we are wondering what happened to this team, is the new goalie coach only capable of working with one goalie?

Finally, for all of the "tankers" out there. How many #1 picks have become stars?

Edited by winger52

Finally, for all of the "tankers" out there. How many #1 picks have become stars?

2014: Aaron Ekblad: already a star

2013: Nathan MacKinnon: already a star

2012: Nali Yakupov: too soon too tell, could be a miss.

2011: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: a star

2010: Talyor Hall: full blown star

2009: John Tavares: super star

2008: Steven Stamkos: super star

2007: Patrick Kane: super star

2006: Erik Johnson: miss

2005: Sidney Crosby: Generational Star.

2004: Alex Ovechkin: super star

2003: Marc-Andre Fleury: star

2002: Rick Nash: star

2001: Ilya Kovalchuk: star

There have been misses, especiallly Dmen and goalies. But the record since 2001: 12-1-1. (Yakapov too soon to tell for sure).

But there are drafts and there are drafts. Last time a player got the hype of McDavid and Eichel was Sidney Crosby, and whatever you think of him personally, that guy was the generational talent people said he was going to be. Yakapov, who might still arrive, is the only forward miss since 1999. And Yakopov had a significant number of doubters about his game that Eichel and McDavid do not have.

This is wildely felt to be one of, if not the deepest drafts in history, with two pretty much can't miss guys at the top. If ever there was a year where finishing 30 and having a few extra draft picks could turn things around fast...this is it.

Edited by remkin

I really don't see anything happening on the trading block until after J. Staal comes back and plays probably 10-15 games so Peters can have an evaluation period to see who really fits his scheme and who does not for the rest of this season and next.

Maybe get the #1 pick, trade Skinner, Semin and E. Staal to Edmonton to get their #2 pick and Eberle and get both Eichel and McDavid..

Edited by hopper915

Frankly, Edmonton doesn't deserve either of the top two picks no matter how bad they suck this year.  They had 3 #1 picks IN A ROW and still can't get out of the cellar.

I really don't see anything happening on the trading block until after J. Staal comes back and plays probably 10-15 games so Peters can have an evaluation period to see who really fits his scheme and who does not for the rest of this season and next.

Maybe get the #1 pick, trade Skinner, Semin and E. Staal to Edmonton to get their #2 pick and Eberle and get both Eichel and McDavid..

I thought about that second paragraph. If I were Edmonton, I'd rather have a proven veteran on my team. That franchise owes their fans something more than just prospects. I would not however trade both Staal & Skinner for that.

If we're trading for picks I'd rather wait until the deadline when there's a clearer picture of where teams are in the standings.

Edmonton needs a goalie...and a veteran center/winger.

There's your #1 pick.

For all I know both Eric and Cam would welcome a change. Even so, if its to the Oil I think if I were them I would pull that No Trade Card out of my pocket.

Edmonton needs a goalie...and a veteran center/winger.

There's your #1 pick.

The ironic thing is displayed by the likelihood that despite the the grief we've given these players if we gave Staal and Ward to Edmonton the reason we probably get the number one pick is that we finish number 30 not them.

at some point the "powers at be" need to decide the blow thing up and start over.  Perhaps do what the Tampa Bay Bucs did when they brought in Tony Dungy: complete design on uniform etc

On Edmonton, they don't deserve another top pick.  The draft is supposed to help those at the bottom move up.  Edmonton picks first, and stays last.

The ironic thing is displayed by the likelihood that despite the the grief we've given these players if we gave Staal and Ward to Edmonton the reason we probably get the number one pick is that we finish number 30 not them.

Finishing last isn't enough. There is a draft lottery for the top pick and the team finishing with the fewest points has the best shot, but it is still only 1 in 5 (20 percent). This makes the trade deadline our best deadline in the near future for maximizing E's value.

Chris Terry is a sniper who can play third line and be spotted on the PP with great results. Check out some of the preseason stats. As for Boychuk, I'm with Rem: He's a solid third liner who can be dropped to fourth or moved to second in a (short-term) injury pinch. Too early to let go of either, but with guys like DiGuiseppe up and coming, they could be trade bait in a year or two.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Finishing last isn't enough. There is a draft lottery for the top pick and the team finishing with the fewest points has the best shot, but it is still only 1 in 5 (20 percent). This makes the trade deadline our best deadline in the near future for maximizing E's value.

Yes but this year there are two generational talents. Since the last place team can at worst drop only one spot last place team is guaranteed either Eichel or McDavid.

Yes but this year there are two generational talents. Since the last place team can at worst drop only one spot last place team is guaranteed either Eichel or McDavid.

Oh, gotcha.