The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

What a memory!...I saw Gump play in '62? for the Rangers...with...NO Mask!

THE GUMPSTER!!! I saw him play without a mask too - also Glenn Hall when he was with the Blues. 

We bring those days back - including no helmets on skaters - and concussions will go way down, real quick.

An interesting choice for Alternate Captains. Sekera certainly earned it and emerged last year as a leader on defense. I won't argue with Harrison or Hainsey. I think Harrison has shown leadership in his play and Hainsey has been there before. Just curious that the A goes to all defense-men.

Peters audio

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio1415/peters100914.mp3

An interesting choice for Alternate Captains. Sekera certainly earned it and emerged last year as a leader on defense. I won't argue with Harrison or Hainsey. I think Harrison has shown leadership in his play and Hainsey has been there before. Just curious that the A goes to all defense-men.

Peters audio

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio1415/peters100914.mp3

But the second A is just temporary until Jordan returns, right?

Thanks IC.  Maybe you can confirm/ clarify something else for me. I knew players on IR don't count against the 23 man limit.  But the salary of a player placed on IR (we're not including LTIR or the roster emergency exception) does continue to count against the salary cap, right?

Yep, the salary of a player on IR will still count against the cap.

Panik is off the board as Toronto has claimed him.  Cue the "Leafs Panic after loss to Canadiens" jokes.

Man, that's frustrating. :hits forehead: But good find in the first place CH.

But the second A is just temporary until Jordan returns, right?

That would appear to be the case. Harrison and Hainsey are place holders until J returns. Still an interesting choice to me.

That would appear to be the case. Harrison and Hainsey are place holders until J returns. Still an interesting choice to me.

It is interesting, but to me this is certainly recognition of leadership in the room. I don't know much about Sekera off the ice, but he certainly leads by example on the ice, no question. Harrison and Hainsey don't necessarily do what Sekera does on the ice, but they both seem to be great locker room guys and are both willing to stick up for teammates on the ice. I think this is an interesting, but great choice.

Peters seemed to back a bit off the "I need a horse" talk in goal. 

Whatever anyone says, the best thing that can happen right now is Cam emerging as a stud, and Khudobin pushing him.

I know that may not sit well with some, but that would be the best thing. Both goalies great and Cam a touch better. 

Even if it ends up with us trading him. Getting some return and the cap space, or having an elite goalie. Either one is better than where we stand now.

Can't really argue with any of the A's. Might bring a bit of a new angle.

Edited by remkin

I can't wait. I want to see just what this team can do in regular game.

The Gameday sign up sheet is here.  Need some starters.

Talk about over confident, the Isles board has them  beating us both games, ya think they won the cup already... Still have to play the games..

I am so excited that I get to watch hockey tomorrow. Here's to an interesting season...

I second that.  What an exciting day tommorow is.  Will we suck bad?  Will we have some sort of weird chemistry with a new coach and win unexpectadly?  Will we hold .500 till Jordan and Skinner get back then kick butt?  No expectations anymore, anything is possible. including stinking all year, or some kind of miracle making us a dream team.   shoooo, gonna try to enjoy it either way, its time for Hurricanes hockey baby.

Who the alternate captains are is of lesser importance.

What we've been lacking for years is a Captain since JR made the bad choice of removing Roddy as the "C".  Its laughable Staal has worn the C without anyone removing it.  If he wants to show us something lets see a year where he is an outside candidate for a Selke, rather than the petulant forward who takes dumb penalties, doesn't back check, and sets up up no one else for offense despite the fact hes a center. 

A guy that has been "-" like 7 years in a 10 year carreer despite playing on the top line and for coaches that didn't put him against the other teams top line doesn't impress me.

Cam is not the only one that needs to have a good year so we can trade him.

This season is the first in a long time where I'm coming into it with expectations muted.  And I'm OK with that.  I'm at peace, no matter what happens.  I've dropped from Full STH to Partial, but have no plans of quitting no matter what happens.  Just hope PK doesn't sell us out to the Quebecers.

My hope is simply that they win more at home than lose, and that most games are entertaining.  I don't see playoffs in the picture, but who knows?

Finally here again!  Can't wait to get there tonight!

Edited by wxray1

That -52 in his final 2 seasons had nothing to do with it ;)

Who the alternate captains are is of lesser importance.

What we've been lacking for years is a Captain since JR made the bad choice of removing Roddy as the "C".  Its laughable Staal has worn the C without anyone removing it.  If he wants to show us something lets see a year where he is an outside candidate for a Selke, rather than the petulant forward who takes dumb penalties, doesn't back check, and sets up up no one else for offense despite the fact hes a center. 

A guy that has been "-" like 7 years in a 10 year carreer despite playing on the top line and for coaches that didn't put him against the other teams top line doesn't impress me.

Cam is not the only one that needs to have a good year so we can trade him.

I second that.  What an exciting day tommorow is.  Will we suck bad?  Will we have some sort of weird chemistry with a new coach and win unexpectadly?  Will we hold .500 till Jordan and Skinner get back then kick butt?  No expectations anymore, anything is possible. including stinking all year, or some kind of miracle making us a dream team.   shoooo, gonna try to enjoy it either way, its time for Hurricanes hockey baby.

I predict a 5-1 shelling by the hands of the Islanders.

If your referring to the time Roddys hand was so severely injured he could not close it on the stick, but played anyway because the team needed him - then yes.

What is AHL player development?

getting them prepared to play at the NHL level.  Something we have been lacking(although part of it is scouting related)

Or because he blew out his knee and never fully recovered

and any team needs a -29 player like a bullet to the head.

If your referring to the time Roddys hand was so severely injured he could not close it on the stick, but played anyway because the team needed him - then yes.

Edited by legend-1

It finally hit me why I don't buy the "we like our group" approach and why I'm so frustrated we didn't pick up an additional UFA or waiver player. 

There was a point last year where I was in the "we like our group" camp.  I thought we had the talent to succeed and just needed to fix "something" that I couldn't identify.  Hopefully coaching.  But at that time I was expecting Ruutu to be able to return to form, giving us what I thought were 6 legitimate top 2 line players  (Skinner, E, J, Tlusty, Ruutu, and Semin) PLUS Gerbe and Lindholm on the rise.  I expected us to develop from within to add more players who fit nicely on the bottom lines but could move up if needed to fill in for injuries (which is how I see Gerbe) rather than go with the Bowmans and Dvjoraks.

But in my mind we went from a Ruutu who I thought would return to form to Loktionov to . . . Brad Malone.  That changes the dynamic from a "group I like" to one that needs another important piece.  To me McClement = Malhotra, so not much change there, and the prospects we have I expect to supplement our top players, not need to replace them.  That's how I saw us not only living up to our potential but actually getting better as we added developing players to the mix.  Not replacing a presumptive top 2 line player moves me from "I like our group" to "we desperately need another piece, especially on the RW").  And again, I want our prospects to add to our overall talent level rather than be needed just to try to stay at the same level.

Ok, that's my last post about our lack of action with respect to adding an outside player. The season stars tonight and anything from here on out goes from discussion to just plain b****ing. Time to get into fan mode (and I'm actually going to tonight's game, a rarity for me)..

:woohoo::crossfingers::Goalie:  :tailgate:

The problem is we did not have the cap to add another player.  The canes are loaded with bad contracts on Ward, Staal, Staal, and one could even argue Skinner and Faulk are bad contracts.  Add that with a self-imposed cap and NTCs and good luck.

With the injuries, I'm not that optimistic going into this season.  I'm looking at our games in October and I'm putting the over/under for wins at 2.5, and this is the easiest stretch of our season (based on last year's results).  We definitely need the young guys to step up, but is it sad that I'm looking towards next season already and we haven't even played a game yet?

The problem is we did not have the cap to add another player.  The canes are loaded with bad contracts on Ward, Staal, Staal, and one could even argue Skinner and Faulk are bad contracts.  Add that with a self-imposed cap and NTCs and good luck.

BD - we have $3.3m in actual cap space and that's before Js LTIR if we had wanted to use that.  No one knows what PKs cap is, but we're going to save a bunch because Js salary will be partly covered by insurance.  Given that we might have added an established player for less than (I think) $1.2m (Roy or Stempniak) or a youth/ "flier" (Panik/ Mueller) on a two way for less than $750k, I think it came down to philosophy, not money.  Most think it's RFs evaluation process. I suspect it's PK taking a shot at McDavid/ Eichel.  I don't think we'll ever know for sure.   

Edited by LakeLivin