The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Well w/ J and Tlusty both back in the saddle tomorrow, let the clock start on really figuring out who stays and who goes on this team.

Edited by remkin

Nice to know that Ronnie has taken out his hammer and driven the "For Sale by owner" sign into the front yard.

You know, I just really don't have the energy to even keep up with all this right now.  I am so tired of the same old, same old.  I check in on game day, make my smart remark or joke about the loss, and move on.

As with Ward, Semin back on his game might at least make his salary movable. Maybe better.

I'm not sure Semin is movable even if he finds game. Like you, I think the wrist injury hasn't completely healed so its possible he finds his game. Even if he finds his game it will be a tough sell convincing other GMs he won't fade again. I was an advocate of signing him but its at a point now that he will need to show something to make a believer out of me again.

You may be right, that contract is a problem. I just point out that the man is a .8 ppg player when on his game, and especically at the deadline that could look just juicy enough to a playoff team that needs help up front. Still, he has to get that form back for it to happen, and I do worry about the health thing. Totally agree he is unmovable the way he has played for most of that past 2 years....

Edited by remkin

Something to be mindful of moving forward.

Earlier today, i was looking at the trades that happened at last year's deadline.  Most of those deadline deals don't really favor the team moving the elite player.  

You look at Gaborik, who led the playoffs in goals last season, was had for two lower picks and a prospect that's not that good.

Matt Moulson, who's a multiple 30+ goal scorer for years, was traded to Minnesota for lower draft picks and a prospect that not that good.

Thomas Vanek, who's also a multiple 30+ goal scorer for years, was traded for a lower draft pick and a lower drafted prospect who's yet to play a NHL game.

With the exception of the St Louis/Callahan trade, all of the first round picks that were traded were done before the deadline.  Also, teams aren't going to overpay for rentals.  So i think the thought of getting a 1st rounder for Tlusty is pretty much crazy talk (I was one of the ones that initially thought it, so no judgement).  The only flaw in my logic is there was no elite dman traded.  I think Sekera, if traded to the right team, can fetch a 1st rounder or a good prospect.  Unless you package both Tlusty/Sekera for a solid mid-1st rounder (maybe Winnepeg or Pittsburgh).

Waiting to the trade deadline puts pressure on teams trying to acquire rentals AND teams trading rentals.  The acquiring teams know the other teams need to trade these players.  So at the deadline, it comes down to picking the best of the worst options.  Maybe Francis putting the word out about trying to negotiate extensions is preparing for a bigger return, if so good move by him.  If there's a team right now offering a 1st rounder, you take it.

Excellent post by Coastal in GDT that describes the Canes at this point.

http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22662-habs-at-canes-1229/page-2#entry411959

I'll add one thing:  Nobody in front of the net, despite TALK by almost every player recently about how they need to get there.  They simply don't execute, whether in all areas described in Coastal's post or as they've said themselves about getting in front of the net.

I particularly hate the net part since it reflects desire and will.  Can anyone really say they're doing their best without those traits?

Not to deepen the conspiracy theories, because Murphy surely deserves another look, but if we had a hankering to trade Murphy, he needs to get some NHL games in....

We are well on our way to the first overall pick.  If we're going to be this bad we might as well be the worst team in the league and maybe land us a game/franchise changing prospect this summer.  The thing is.... this team is in almost every game due to our goal tending.  It's so unfortunate.

I read somewhere from an advanced stats guy.  The teams current shots on goal range is three feet farther from the net this year than last year or years past.  That would explain the high number of sub par shots on net.  I also have kept quiet this season because there's really not much to talk about or get excited about.

In Peters current system.  I heard a lot about accountability and getting to the front of the net.  I hardly ever see this team in front of the net anymore.  Is it because this team lacks the horses or lacks the will power.  Several forwards just are not cutting it and yet the team overall is playing a good defensive team game so far this season.

question does not need a separate thread:   what is the worst record in Whale/Canes history?   Is this year's team going to sink to that level?

question does not need a separate thread:   what is the worst record in Whale/Canes history?   Is this year's team going to sink to that level?

Oh that is a valid question and we are on pace to be right there.

The worst record ever was the 1982-83 Whalers 19-54 finishing w/ 45 points in an 80 game season. Win %: .260

The worst Hurricanes was the 2002-03 Canes 22-43-11-6 w/ 61 points. Win % .310

This year's team: 10-22 23-4 55 53* point (pace). Win % .278. .270*

So we are on pace to be the worst Hurricane team, and pretty close to the worst franchise team.

And yet, last year 55 53* points (our current pace) would have been.....#29. Yes Buffalo managed 52 points.

*Updated after Pittsburgh loss. We are solidly the worst Canes team ever in terms of wins-losses, 2 more losses we'll be officially on pace to be the worst in franchise history.

Edited by remkin

After watching the game tonight, one thing is very clear:  We should have never traded Brandon Sutter..>EVER.

This thing needs to be nuked, there is no chemistry, no scoring, just blah.  We move the puck well, but can't finish.  A few games of this is bad luck.  When its every game, its a huge problem.  We have fired coaches, GM's, scouts.  It ain't all them, this scoring failure is just a bad mix, bad/lacking leadership on the team, no chemistry, mixed hockey cultures.  We have to find the right youth to hang onto, and re-build this team from scratch.  I'm a patient person for a re-build, but my patience has ended for the timing of it.  Many of the original teams would have nuked the thing in 07 when we failed to make the playoffs after winning the Cup the year before.  We fired coaches.  At some point and time, it is the nucleus of the team that is dysfunctional.  Maybe there are parts of the nucleus that could function elsewhere, but we need a new nucleus.  I think we have some great youth:  Faulk, Rask, Nash, Bellemore.  Other than that, we need to clean house. 

I'm beyond frustrated, I'm angry.  I want this team to stay here and be successful, I want to go to hockey games and enjoy them.  I don't want to go there to see visiting team fans rubbing it in about how bad we suck.  Right now, the PNC Arena is a place for out of town teams fans to see them play/win in Raleigh....that is very frustrating.  I'll probably be through posting for awhile.  I'm afraid I would say nastier things than I already have.  Rebuild this junker. 

Well boys, you sure it's not time for my daughter to make an appearance behind the bench again?  It worked last NYE...and helped the team through January.

Maybe we should only hold onto Cam and Anton, everyone else is trade bait and build the team around them?

They've pretty much the only constant this team is showing.

Edited by hopper915

It really depends on what RF wants to do if he blows it up like more then a handful of fans want then there is no point keeping Cam.

It really does depend on RFs vision moving forward. Although if we were to trade Dobby it would indicate we have made a decision to stick with the  core I don't think the same is true if we don't trade Ward. Ward's contract will become easier to move next season. If we don't intend to re-sign Ward after next season I would bet we will shop him this season but only move him if the return is big enough. Next season will be a different story as we will be pressed to either re-sign or move him.  As Wards contract winds down the money another team is willing to take on becomes less. Of course it is a gamble but what isn't.

do the Canes have a "core" worth keeping?   what has been the team's identity over the past few years other than finding new ways to lose games? has the mean identified a slogan for the  team?   it seems as of the organization has let mediocrity slide to the bottom  of the NHL.  At this point, any "playoff run" screws up a good draft pick

do the Canes have a "core" worth keeping?   what has been the team's identity over the past few years other than finding new ways to lose games? has the mean identified a slogan for the  team?   it seems as of the organization has let mediocrity slide to the bottom  of the NHL.  At this point, any "playoff run" screws up a good draft pick

The players under 22.  We're kinda stuck with some of the older guys till the contracts run out.

do the Canes have a "core" worth keeping? 

Not from my perspective.  Maybe Faulk and Lindholm.  But the rest, if the price is right, send em on their way.  That includes Sekera and Skinner, whom I'd wish to keep personally, but they might fetch a decent return.

At this point I am not sure why anyone would think that Skinner is worth his contract.  The guy basically does not have chemistry with anyone, is injury prone, does not make players around him better, does not play defense.  To top it off he isn't really scoring goals now either.  SO what exactly does him and his contract bring to the table?  Because as far as I can tell it's absolutely nothing.

The more I think about it, the more it seems logical that Sekera probably wants out. He's been obscured on two bad teams now, and this year so far is about as bad as it gets. Unless Francis can sell him on the vision, and probably overpay him, he's going to be tough to keep. I hope I'm wrong because while perhaps not a #1 defenseman, he is a very solid second pairing guy on a good team. 

If Francis could somehow find one more, young top Dman in a trade, say for Ward or E or some package, in a couple of years we get Fleury up to speed and Faulk, Sekera, New Guy, Fleury would be a nice top 4 for years to come. 

If he is going to build the d through the draft, even if he gets a couple more first round picks, those guys usually take at least 3 years to be even passable, and 10 years to peak. 

I think Sekera is a bit overslotted but also underrated. Unless he is all-in on getting out, I keep him, but I fear he might be wanting out.

Edited by remkin

I think E Staal is going to play out his contract here.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Marc Staal comes here this off season.  It's sounding like the Rangers are not going to pay him the 5-6m that he wants.  I also don't think he will sign here for Sekera like money.  Who would you rather have at 4.5m-5M?  Sekera or Marc Staal?