The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014/15 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I see where you're coming from.  However, RF made it clear that he wanted players that played a "smart" game.  If that is true then that is the reason why the team passed on Panik (who has a habit of not playing a good 2-way game) and Mueller.  Honestly, what could we really fetch for 3.3M?  Roy or Stemp would only make us smaller.

At least we're going with prospects this year and given the AHL guys a legit change to make the NHL.  Rask and Brown may surprise all of us.  What is this year results in us having a 2nd/3rd line center in Rask and an up and coming power forward in Brown?

No it was his right hand.  He wasn't getting beat back, the puck was sliding off his stick.  Thought you would have even noticed that, and yes a -29 is indeed horrible.  Even for the 2nd line checking center.

Does that mean E Staals -20 in 2011 was also bad, not that I noticed if he was having problems closing the hand on the stick.  Maybe he had also done a Pete Friesen fun run.

:D

Or because he blew out his knee and never fully recovered

and any team needs a -29 player like a bullet to the head.

BD - we have $3.3m in actual cap space and that's before Js LTIR if we had wanted to use that.  No one knows what PKs cap is, but we're going to save a bunch because Js salary will be partly covered by insurance.  Given that we might have added an established player for less than (I think) $1.2m (Roy or Stempniak) or a youth/ "flier" (Panik/ Mueller) on a two way for less than $750k, I think it came down to philosophy, not money.  Most think it's RFs evaluation process. I suspect it's PK taking a shot at McDavid/ Eichel.  I don't think we'll ever know for sure.   

I'd take a shot at McDavid/Eichel.  But PK can't publicly say, "We're trying to suck so we can get better."

I never mentioned what I thought of Eric, I agree he's on his last leg as Captain. I strongly disagree it wasn't time to strip Roddy of his captaincy at the time it happened. Hindsight and all that jazz.

No it was his right hand.  He wasn't getting beat back, the puck was sliding off his stick.  Thought you would have even noticed that, and yes a -29 is indeed horrible.  Even for the 2nd line checking center.

Does that mean E Staals -20 in 2011 was also bad, not that I noticed if he was having problems closing the hand on the stick.  Maybe he had also done a Pete Friesen fun run.

:D

My picks for most improved teams this season, increase in points over last season totals. After getting Boychuk and Leddy I go with the Isles in the East and Edmonton in the West. 

Time to put on you big boy pants. It's game time.

I loved what I saw from the younger guys tonight. Patrick Brown showed a lot of promise tonight. Looked comfortable out there despite lacking the experience. Hope we get to see a lot more of him this season.

Gleason looked more like the guy we all loved and was one of our better defenseman tonight. Sekera really struggled despite having 2 assists. Not sure what was going on with him and I know it's just one game but we need him to step up.

Edited by TheFaulker

I agree Sekera did not have his best game. I would say that Rask looked solid. It is going to take some time (see Nash, Bowman, Boycuck, Dalpe, etc) but I do think he has the chops.

(For detaled analysis see Game Day thread).

A couple of thoughts about last nights game. Before the game interview with Cam was very interesting. Basically he said that he worked hard to get in shape, Blah Blah, needed to play his game, Blah Blah, do the right things to win, Blah Blah, go out and have fun. SOMEBODY please tell Cam the days of having fun are long past.This is a team where the losing culture has been dogging them for at least the last 5 seasons. The fan base is restless and I believe attendance is down and fading fast. This is a business, have fun at the Olympics,  this is real money changing hands.Please take your profession seriously.

Following the game last night Mike the Mouth on the radio and one of his callers were complaining about the Gleason hit, penalty, and resulting goal. After what the Isles player did, I have no problem with the hit or penalty, and I could live with the goal if it fires up the team. For too long we have been playing like a bunch of pansies, being pushed around the ice and finding new excuses for why we lost. Time for us to push the other 29 teams around. Then maybe they won't feel like it's OK to elbow our players into quiet rooms.

Too many seasons watching the Carolina Tropical Storm ineffectually raining on our parade. Develop some punch and become Hurricanes again!

Edited by winger52

Given the type of game he plays, how do we evaluate the effect of losing J Staal?

J is usually lined up against the opposition's #1 center.  During the last 2 games John Tavares was involved (goal or assist) in 5 of the Islanders 9 goals.  How many of those might have been prevented if we had a healthy J on the ice?  Obviously we'll never know, which is a shame since this is an "evaluation year". 

To be honest, I'm starting to lose interest. Evaluation year? The Canes should have started rebuilding following the 2010 season. The confeence finals in 2009, and the only thing accomplished since then is getting lower draft picks. Going into this season they really only had two scoring lines, and now half of those guys are hurt. The D was questionable at best. The guys do seem to be making a good effort, but I don't see either the talent level or depth. I really don't like being negative, but I 'm tired of the frustration.

Don't you see? We are rebuilding, we're just using the phrase "evaluation" so we can attempt to continue selling tickets. In this market, and with our franchise's current situation with fan's frustration and lack of success, saying we are actively rebuilding and giving up on this year would be counter-productive. The fact we picked no one up besides a fourth line center in McClement in the offseason got me feeling it. Now with potentially half of our top-6 forwards out (including our top two centers) I still don't see a move coming any time soon to at least mitigate some of the loss. But I could be wrong, who knows. My opinion, we already are rebuilding. This year we were going to let Peters do his thing, see who responds and fits in, and those who don't would get moved. We went into the season hoping to make the playoffs, after all these injuries we are still hoping and the season is just beginning, but by the deadline chances are we are selling those who had terrible value in the offseason for hopefully better value at the deadline.

I haven't given up on the season, but it's hard to say I think this team can make the post-season with the injuries and all the inexperience. I feel like we have a few guys that could step up and produce in place of an injured star, but they would only cover a fraction of what we originally would have gotten from that star. I do feel like Tlusty may have a huge year, which concerns me in the form of what does he (former first rounder) do as a UFA after a big year in a shallow free agent pool?

To be honest, I'm starting to lose interest. Evaluation year? The Canes should have started rebuilding following the 2010 season. The confeence finals in 2009, and the only thing accomplished since then is getting lower draft picks. Going into this season they really only had two scoring lines, and now half of those guys are hurt. The D was questionable at best. The guys do seem to be making a good effort, but I don't see either the talent level or depth. I really don't like being negative, but I 'm tired of the frustration.

2 games in and you are losing interest? Why did you give it so long?

So, according to Maniscalco it sounds like Skinner placed on IR and Boychuk recalled.

I just saw that

RALEIGH, NCRon Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has recalled forward Zach Boychuk from the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL). In addition, the Hurricanes placed forward Jeff Skinner on injured reserve, retroactive to Oct. 5.

The "Boy" gets another chance. I wonder if they will put Terry and Boychuk on the same line?

So, according to Maniscalco it sounds like Skinner placed on IR and Boychuk recalled.

One of these times Boychuk might just....maybe this time.....might as well.

But more importantly, as predicted, Skinner out for a while. I don't know the exact protocols, but I think he needs a good period of no symptoms to even start skating, a week? not sure.

Also remind me the IR rules? How long do you have to be out?

Also, is this in any way related to E? I mean Skinner has been out.

If he's not good for Tuesday....it starts to get a bit ridiculous.

Edited by remkin

The IR rule says a player on IR can't play in a game for seven days. So, since he was put on IR retroactive to Oct 5, he is eligible to come off IR today. Technically, he can come off the same day he was put on.

So who does Boychuck high-five on his way back?

:)

From the NHL Protocol for Concussion Evaluation and Management:

"In accordance with current consensus guidelines, there is no mandatory period of time that a player must be withheld from play following a concussion. However, at minimum, a player must be symptom free at rest and upon exertion, and determined to be cognitive at baseline."

In practice, it seems they take one step at a time (ride bike, skate, practice) and if there are no symptoms they move to the next step the next day. So it could actually be just a few days, if all goes well.

As caniac6 said, IR is seven days, and with it being retroactive, Skinner could be activated from IR any time now. But putting him on IR frees up a roster spot until he can return, which they needed to do to be able to call anyone up, since they are at the roster limit. I assume that means that there is some doubt about either Staal or Dwyer being ready for Tuesday. If neither is good to go, they will need to make another move (even if it is to move Murphy to forward).

Hopefully we will hear more on Staal and Dwyer tomorrow.

Thanks InvisibleCane. Good stuff.

I must say I'd be pretty surprised if Skinner is back before the West Coast trip. But that's speculation.

not worth a separate link, but the North Hills Caniac coach pick-up location at the bowling alley  has been eliminated.  It is a good thing as the concerts there have caused a mess with trafffic,   go to caniaccoach.com for more information.  the change caused me to miss the season opener